Thread: Opinions on free agency signings

Opinions on free agency signings

I'm happy with the way that this free-agency period has begun. Aside from the Boldin trade, which doesn't bother me that much, most of the signings are going to the NFC. We made the biggest splash in the AFC, IMO so far.

Does anyone believe that the way things are developing helps us? Peppers signing with Chicago, and whatever happens from this point on.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=John_0515;3516449]I'm happy with the way that this free-agency period has begun. Aside from the Boldin trade, which doesn't bother me that much, most of the signings are going to the NFC. We made the biggest splash in the AFC, IMO so far.

Does anyone believe that the way things are developing helps us? Peppers signing with Chicago, and whatever happens from this point on.[/QUOTE]

thats good for the jets

who cares about the rest

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Baltimore's trade for Boldin and signing of Donte Stallworth earlier in the offseason were both good moves. That'll help Flacco a lot.

Cromartie's a sure upgrade for us, with the potential to be a home run. I'd like to see Thomas Jones re-signed too.

Pats missed out on Peppers and Boldin, and might lose Leigh Bodden, who was pretty good for them last season.

Jets - Final 4 rules prevented them from being major players in Free Agency, at least initially. But they did good by adding Cromartie. I wish one of our UFA's would sign elsewheres already, preferrably badly overpaid. ;)

Patriots - About as bad a start to the new NFL year as you could have. They missed out on Peppers and Boldin (How does a team with 3 second round picks allow Boldin to go to the Ravens for a 3rd and a 4th?).....and if they lose Bodden as well, they're in trouble. You can't win Championships with an overreliance on average talent.

Miami - They'll probably say they're happy with Dansby, but personally I think he's overrated and overpaid. Still think their #1 need has been a weapon at WR, and I'd say they missed the boat on Boldin as well. That's something they should've been all over.

Other random thoughts

- Baltimore is becoming pretty damn scary, at least for the next year or two while they still have Lewis and Reed. They know they have a small window, and they're going for it.

- Detroit is almost on the brink of respectability. They overpaid Burleson and Vanden Bosch, sure. But stole Corey Williams, and will get either McCoy or Suh in the draft, making for one hell of a Defensive Line. Hell, if they do get TJ, they might be able to be .500 next year.

- Chicago needed to make a splash and they did, congradulations, but the biggest improvement needs to come from Cutler in Year 2.

Big Losers - San Diego - Cut LT, Jamal Williams, traded Cromartie, and just haven't been willing to pony up to fix their weaknesses.

Arizona - Lost Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, even if the latter two are overrated and overpaid, they've gone from a Super Bowl contender to a #1 overall pick contender in short time. Seattle and San Francisco will be fighting it out for that division next year, my early nod goes to Seattle.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3516458]Baltimore's trade for Boldin and signing of Donte Stallworth earlier in the offseason were both good moves. That'll help Flacco a lot.

Cromartie's a sure upgrade for us, with the potential to be a home run. I'd like to see Thomas Jones re-signed too.[/QUOTE]

At first I was mixed on Cromartie, but the nice thing about the board is you get to hear various opinions and can learn about players you might not see every day. After 2 days I come around to the thinking that this is actually a stroke of genius by Mr. T.

Cromartie was not be utilized in what he does best and was playing out of position. All great coach's know how to take advantage of their athletes and they do not try to force a round peg into a square hole. Unfortunately thats what Eric Mangini did with Jon Vilma and that is what Ron Rivera/ Norv Tuner did with Cromartie in San Diego. That is why Rex Ryan is a much better coach then Eric Mangini whom I do like. Rex Ryan as was Bill Parcells will take a players best attributes and take advantage of an opponents worst attributes.

Cromartie is perfect fit for the Jets defense he is not a zone off the line of scrimmage player, what he is a jam at the line of scrimmage man to man CB. This is perfect for an aggressive blitzing kind of defense that Ryan likes to play. Rex Ryan will be able to scheme Cromartie & Revis and will give opposing offense's more to think about. Cromartie can play against an opponents number #1 WR. There could be times that Cromartie could be matched up up against Randy Moss and Revis against Wes Welker (if he were healthy) and they could switch back and forth.

When drafting a CB in the first round it is very hard for a CB to play at top level in the rookie year unless your name is Darrelle Revis and that happens once every 15 years. Jets are playing for a championship. Yes the Jets are playing for a championship and Cromartie is far better then any 1st year player in this years draft. This is simply a stroke of genius by Mr T. and this allows the Jets to address other needs with their first 2 picks. It is amazing when the Jets who are handcuffed by free agency and limited draft picks they could swing a swindle like this.

Congratulations Mike Tannenbaum:clapper::clapper::clapper:

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3516471]Jets - Final 4 rules prevented them from being major players in Free Agency, at least initially. But they did good by adding Cromartie. I wish one of our UFA's would sign elsewheres already, preferrably badly overpaid. ;)

Patriots - About as bad a start to the new NFL year as you could have. They missed out on Peppers and Boldin (How does a team with 3 second round picks allow Boldin to go to the Ravens for a 3rd and a 4th?).....and if they lose Bodden as well, they're in trouble. You can't win Championships with an overreliance on average talent.

Miami - They'll probably say they're happy with Dansby, but personally I think he's overrated and overpaid. Still think their #1 need has been a weapon at WR, and I'd say they missed the boat on Boldin as well. That's something they should've been all over.

Other random thoughts

- Baltimore is becoming pretty damn scary, at least for the next year or two while they still have Lewis and Reed. They know they have a small window, and they're going for it.

- Detroit is almost on the brink of respectability. They overpaid Burleson and Vanden Bosch, sure. [B][COLOR="Red"]But stole Corey Williams[/COLOR][/B], and will get either McCoy or Suh in the draft, making for one hell of a Defensive Line. Hell, if they do get TJ, they might be able to be .500 next year.

- Chicago needed to make a splash and they did, congradulations, but the biggest improvement needs to come from Cutler in Year 2.

Big Losers - San Diego - Cut LT, Jamal Williams, traded Cromartie, and just haven't been willing to pony up to fix their weaknesses.

Arizona - Lost Warner, Boldin, Dansby, Rolle, even if the latter two are overrated and overpaid, they've gone from a Super Bowl contender to a #1 overall pick contender in short time. Seattle and San Francisco will be fighting it out for that division next year, my early nod goes to Seattle.[/QUOTE]

Why didn't Tanny go after Williams?? NFL mignt be suspicious you think???

NM read he is a better 4-3 player. Rexxy?
    Last edited by MarkyMarkSanchez; 03-06-2010 at 04:25 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=MarkyMarkSanchez;3516510]Why didn't Tanny go after Williams?? NFL mignt be suspicious you think???

NM read he is a better 4-3 player. Rexxy?[/QUOTE]

The way I think the AFC east is evaluated as follows:

Jets- Did the most with nothing Mike Tannenbaum is a magician got a potential lock down corner with out costing anything in 2010. Jets needs 3rd & 4th WR, depth on the o-line, Rb, and DL

New England- They feel rightfully so that this years free agent class is weak and what is available is going to be over valued like Peppers & Dansby. They would make runs at a Peppers or another free agent if this economically feasible. There plan appears to be going beyond 2010 with 4 draft picks in the first 2 rounds. 2011 appears to be a much better free agent class if there is a 2011 season. They need to hit a grand slam home run on each pick to win double digits in 2010. New England needs to address depth on o-line, rb, WR, DL, LB.

Miami- Dansby good solid player is he worth being paid the highest LB? Dansby could have a hard time with out a good NT to help Dansby shed guards. Miami still needs to address NT, DE, LBs, safety, guard and WR.

Bills- Would be prudent for them to build through the draft until they are closer to being competitive with the big 3 in the AFC east. Bills need a franchise QB, OT, NT, LB, CB