Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodes to ARIZONA DONE for 2010 4th, 2011 7th

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3516896]I just don't agree with dumping a competent starter when you aren't going to be able to replace him. You guys need another CB, OLB, DE, and now a safety. You can generally get a starter in the first, second, maybe even the third round, but beyond that, it's tough. A fourth round pick probably won't contribute early. The Jets are capable of winning now. Dumping a player who can help now in order to get guys who won't be able to have an early impact doesn't make much sense to me.[/QUOTE]

This response doesn't make much sense to me. You used the word "competent." Doesn't exactly scream "bad move" to me. For all those who think this is bad move really need to keep things in perspective. Particularly seeing the way Tannenbaum has put this team together and how he has manipulated the organizations drafts. Your right to say the Jets are capable of winning now...and capable of winning next year and the year after that, and the year after that. And that is only assuming that they will even use the 4th rounder straight up to use for the safety position.

You're also assuming that Rhodes can help now? The guy got benched this year, runs away from tackles, and obviously has other interests beyond his job that he somtimes pays more attention to. Furthermore, in Rex's defense, anyone can have an early impact. But, the point is in the end, we don't know how this move will help or be used. To be continued...

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3516896] [b]The Jets are capable of winning now. Dumping a player who can help now[/b] in order to get guys who won't be able to have an early impact doesn't make much sense to me.[/QUOTE]

Our "win now" secondary couldn't shut down Indy.

I trust Rex is committed to improving our defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3516911]:huh: this wasn't done for payroll....It was done because Rex didn't want him or Rhodes didn't want to play how Rex wanted him to...

Rex said all this indirectly in his end of the season press conference.

When asked if he wanted the Jets' safety back next season, the coach suddenly got cryptic.

"This one I don't really want to talk about much, because there's an individual thing that Kerry and I have talked about," Ryan said. "I'd rather just keep it individual."

Ryan said the talk he had with Rhodes took place Monday and "eight weeks ago," which is about the time he benched the safety for his play in the Jets' 31-14 loss to the Patriots on Nov. 22.

"I'm just going to leave it as I had a conversation with Kerry and, you know, I am man enough to live out my end of the bargain, so to speak," Ryan said.
    [COLOR=black]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/26/2010-01-26_kerry_unsure_of_jet_future.html#ixzz0hRvgjx0c[/URL][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
    So money had absolutely nothing to do with it?

If Rhodes was in the last year of his rookie contract making minimum money this trade would this trade have been made?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CW_McGraw;3516896]I just don't agree with dumping a competent starter when you aren't going to be able to replace him. You guys need another CB, OLB, DE, and now a safety. You can generally get a starter in the first, second, maybe even the third round, but beyond that, it's tough. A fourth round pick probably won't contribute early. The Jets are capable of winning now. Dumping a player who can help now in order to get guys who won't be able to have an early impact doesn't make much sense to me.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you McGraw. Unless the guy was a cancer in the locker room, this isn't a move a win-now team makes. Now we have another need to address in the draft and it's doubtful we'll get good replacement value with a low fourth round pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3516913]That would be totally wrong.

Just as claiming that he's only 27 or that he's a former pro bowler.[/QUOTE]

so hes not 27, the nfl is making that up. and i didn't say former pro bowler, i said former all pro in which he was in 2006.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;3516909]and the panthers made a huge mistake for letting jenkins go for so little. i remember when the jets first traded for jenkins and reading the panther boards and most the people saying that they got a good deal for jenkins because he was a overweight, injured prone player on the decline and they got a good deal for him. But when the season came around a jenks was dominating for us the opinions changed and they all say they got hosed and realized jenks was playing at first round value for us.[/QUOTE]

This isn't the KJ thread and I wasn't posting then, but I guarantee everyone was thinking we got KJ on the cheap with that trade--trouble was that we sucked when we got him so who really cared? At least I was like, well hell, he's great, but we still have problems.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    More than happy with a 4th, he won't be hard to replace. Some people are saying he is one of the best safeties in the league, if that is true, than the safety position in the NFL is in a sorry state.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shuler82;3516743]Boo hop.. crying over an over hyped under performing s..give me a break. And doubting Rex? Really? The guy who came in here and made our d #1 in his first year..and yet we all know better.

The jets will be fine. Mike t and Rex have a plan..don't they always?[/QUOTE]

Great to hear somebody that gets it! Well said.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;3516920]so hes not 27, the nfl is making that up. and i didn't say former pro bowler, i said [B][U]former all pro in which he was in 2006.[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

most important string of words here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Woody56;3516909]and the panthers made a huge mistake for letting jenkins go for so little. i remember when the jets first traded for jenkins and reading the panther boards and most the people saying that they got a good deal for jenkins because he was a overweight, injured prone player on the decline and they got a good deal for him. But when the season came around a jenks was dominating for us the opinions changed and they all say they got hosed and realized jenks was playing at first round value for us.[/QUOTE]

Well Rhodes hasn't done squat in 2 years, can't tackle and the defensive head coach doesn't want him...

So what kind of value do you expect when a respected defensive coach like Rex doesn't want a player? or that player doesn't want to or can't play for him? There are only so many teams that need a S....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WJGC;3516924]More than happy with a 4th, he won't be hard to replace. Some people are saying he is one of the best safeties in the league, if that is true, than the safety position in the NFL is in a sorry state.[/QUOTE]

People mentioned bringing in Bethea :eek:

Rhodes is a top tier cover safety. It's inf*ckingdisputable.

This is laughable. Truly, truly laughable.

All to 'hone' the lockerroom? Yeah right, then why dump one of your biggest locker room leaders in TJ.

This is about $$$. We just saved $4.8 million in two days.

Congratulations Jet fans. You get to see the business side of the NFL today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Queens Jet Fan;3516918]So money had absolutely nothing to do with it?

If Rhodes was in the last year of his rookie contract making minimum money this trade would this trade have been made?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The coach didn't want him or Rhodes didn't want to or couldn't play for the coach...It's not that difficult to grasp.

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3516934]People mentioned bringing in Bethea :eek:

Rhodes is a top tier cover safety. It's inf*ckingdisputable.

This is laughable. Truly, truly laughable.

All to 'hone' the lockerroom? Yeah right, then why dump one of your biggest locker room leaders in TJ.

This is about $$$. We just saved $4.8 million in two days.

Congratulations Jet fans. You get to see the business side of the NFL today.[/QUOTE]

4.8 mil that we'll be able to use on Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris in the next 2 seasons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3516919] this isn't a move a win-now team makes. [/QUOTE]

Who said the Jets are a "win-now" team? Not just you, but I'm sick of hearing this statement. I hear every year from the "experts" and fans alike. The Jets are obviously building something and their core is young. But, every year the Jets are "win-now." How many "win-now" seasons can a team have?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you guys need to stop overating Rhodes. he is far From Top Tier . he has had 2 consecutive bad seasons, and plays at a position where there isnt a high premium on.

i think its fair trade. im just curious to see who the big hitter rex ryan is going after.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3516760]What about Bethea (sp?) from Indy?[/QUOTE]

Bethea is the most underrated safety in the NFL.

Bethea or Sharper on this defense? Id jizz in my pants.

unlikely.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    People cried when Mawae got dumped and it led to a younger Center named Nick Mangold.. It's only the first week of March there's 6 months before the season starts.. The team doesn't have to be set before the draft etc..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    dont be suprised if they go after Landry

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3516827]I'm a big Rex fan, I'm a big Tanny fan.

If you think that one AFC Championship game visit earns them the right to never have their moves questioned, then you're wrong.

Good teams make stupid moves sometimes, not very often, but they do, this seems like one of them. Even if Tanny turns around and gets an awesome safety to replace Kerry, it doesn't change the fact that they didn't get enough when they dealt him.

I'm entitled to my opinion, and I don't like this deal very much at all.

To me, [B]you needed to get at least a 2nd round pick [/B]in a Kerry Rhodes trade. It's hard enough to find a good safety in this league, we had one and we just gave him away.[/QUOTE]

What are you basing this on? Your love of KR? The guy was a 4th rd pick who never made the pro bowl. We received what it took to get him. Overall no loss. He was not the reason the defense was as good as it was last year. I see this as a statement move by the team. He is perceived to be a really good player and they got rid of him because he thought he could go his own way. Rex and Tanny must believe that replacing him will not be that difficult.
    Let's wait and see how this plays out before we call it either good or bad.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3516950]People cried when Mawae got dumped and it led to a younger Center named Nick Mangold.. It's only the first week of March there's 6 months before the season starts.. The team doesn't have to be set before the draft etc..[/QUOTE]

I'm still crying about that--that was pure Mangini ego bs and it was bad--we had trouble at LG until faneca (some would say we still have trouble) and Mawae could have rotated. That was total BS and he should still be a Jet.