Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I think this trade is a mistake

Veteran

Why I think this trade is a mistake

First of all, let me make it clear that I don't think that Rhodes is an incredible player, or the savior of the Jets defense, but these are a few reasons why I think this was a bad trade...

1. Rhodes was FAR better than many people on this board realize- I know Rhodes bashing has been popular on this board, but the fact remains that the Jets had the best pass defense in the league, and Rhodes is a big part of that. People focus on Rhodes' occasional missed tackles, and zero in on some perceived "grit" in Leonhard and decide that this makes Leonhard a better player. I don't think that's a case, and I think we're giving up the kind of player we need next to Leonhard- a rangy, athletic player.

2. We created a hole we didn't need to-Before this trade, there were a few clear holes for the Jets (DL, possibly OLB) to address in the draft. Now, there is a gaping hole at free safety, because while Ihedigbo and Smith might be "tough" and "gritty" they're not adequate in coverage, and an analysis of game tape will back that up. We're going to need a premium talent at safety to replace the range Rhodes has, and that will most likely cost a 1st round pick, which I think would have been better used elsewhere.

3. The Jets had the best pass defense for a reason- It's not possible to have such a good pass D with a player as bad as some people think Rhodes is. I don't see why we change something that clearly isn't broken. I know that Tanny and Rex have shown that they're good talent evaluators, but that doesn't make them perfect.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll gladly eat my words, but I see this causing more problems than it solves.

takin out the trash

I recall Rex saying that he will not beg anyone to play on this team. He probably gave Kerry his word to move him in the off season. Rhodes was unhappy and Rex has gotten rid of him. In the long run this will be the best move for the team. Plus Rhodes was a 4th rounder and this draft is deep. Lets see what that 4th rounder becomes before freaking out.

[QUOTE=njherdfan;3516901]First of all, let me make it clear that I don't think that Rhodes is an incredible player, or the savior of the Jets defense, but these are a few reasons why I think this was a bad trade...

1. Rhodes was FAR better than many people on this board realize- I know Rhodes bashing has been popular on this board, but the fact remains that the Jets had the best pass defense in the league, and Rhodes is a big part of that. People focus on Rhodes' occasional missed tackles, and zero in on some perceived "grit" in Leonhard and decide that this makes Leonhard a better player. I don't think that's a case, and I think we're giving up the kind of player we need next to Leonhard- a rangy, athletic player.

[b]2. We created a hole we didn't need to-Before this trade, there were a few clear holes for the Jets (DL, possibly OLB) to address in the draft. Now, there is a gaping hole at free safety, because while Ihedigbo and Smith might be "tough" and "gritty" they're not adequate in coverage, and an analysis of game tape will back that up. We're going to need a premium talent at safety to replace the range Rhodes has, and that will most likely cost a 1st round pick, which I think would have been better used elsewhere.

3. The Jets had the best pass defense for a reason- It's not possible to have such a good pass D with a player as bad as some people think Rhodes is. I don't see why we change something that clearly isn't broken.[/b] I know that Tanny and Rex have shown that they're good talent evaluators, but that doesn't make them perfect.

I hope I'm wrong, and I'll gladly eat my words, but I see this causing more problems than it solves.[/QUOTE]

This is where I agree wit you fully, and what makes me feel a bit iffy, but, alas, I can't help but trust Rex, Tanny, and the FO. A lot of us are saying 'THIS OPENS UP TEH NEED FUR DA SAFETIES OLOLOL' but if so many of US can come to that conclusion, how in the hell could our phenomenal FO not? I have faith that this is all part of a bigger picture!

"Rhodes was FAR better than many people on this board realize-"

You preface this in your 3 points. If it is not the case like many think then the rest of your points are moot.

If a person thinks he's a really good player then the deal will be bad. If one thinks he wasn't that good then the deal was okay.

If management and some fans think he was not that good it is not creating a hole it is filling a hole when we find a replacement.

Rookie
    In years past with other management in place I would have been very upset and figured another bonehead move. I think the current management, Tanny in particular, has earned the benefit of the doubt. If the season was starting tomorrow and there was nobody in place, then that would be bad. I thought Rhodes was going to have a big year with Rex coming in, he actually continued to go backwards. We got a lot out of the former 4th round pick, let's see what Tanny can do with this 4th rounder he got back, and who he gets to replace him.

what doesnt make sense to me, and not sure if anybody said it yet but if we were going to deal with arizona than why wouldnt we fill a void and trade rhodes and a little extra for boldin or dansby, both needs of ours. im sure something is in the works but imagine if we got boldin out of the deal and than could have drafted a safety or best available DE...not adding up

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3516917]I recall Rex saying that he will not beg anyone to play on this team. He probably gave Kerry his word to move him in the off season. Rhodes was unhappy and Rex has gotten rid of him. In the long run this will be the best move for the team. Plus Rhodes was a 4th rounder and this draft is deep. Lets see what that 4th rounder becomes before freaking out.[/QUOTE]

I remember Rex being interviewed and when asked about Kerry he said I made him a promise but our conversation will remain between us.. I agree it was about moving him in the off season..:yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3516917]I recall Rex saying that he will not beg anyone to play on this team. He probably gave Kerry his word to move him in the off season. Rhodes was unhappy and Rex has gotten rid of him. In the long run this will be the best move for the team. Plus Rhodes was a 4th rounder and this draft is deep. Lets see what that 4th rounder becomes before freaking out.[/QUOTE]

+1

In Rex and Tanny we trust, gotta have faith that this helps the team. :yes:

[QUOTE=Savage69;3516940]I remember Rex being interviewed and when asked about Kerry he said I made him a promise but our conversation will remain between us.. I agree it was about moving him in the off season..:yes:[/QUOTE]

:yes:

When asked if he wanted the Jets' safety back next season, the coach suddenly got cryptic.

"This one I don't really want to talk about much, because there's an individual thing that Kerry and I have talked about," Ryan said. "I'd rather just keep it individual."

Ryan said the talk he had with Rhodes took place Monday and "eight weeks ago," which is about the time he benched the safety for his play in the Jets' 31-14 loss to the Patriots on Nov. 22.

"I'm just going to leave it as I had a conversation with Kerry and, you know, I am man enough to live out my end of the bargain, so to speak," Ryan said.
    [COLOR=black]
    Read more: [URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/26/2010-01-26_kerry_unsure_of_jet_future.html#ixzz0hRvgjx0c"]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...#ixzz0hRvgjx0c[/URL][/COLOR]

There were tackles that Leonard couldn't make, and then there were tackles that Rhodes couldn't be bothered to make.

Big difference. It's all about effort.

Leonard gives 100% automatically, Rhodes needs a full-time babysitter.

I definitely agree that we created a hole that we didn't need to. I've always felt that Rhodes was a goner because he just didn't seem like a Ryan type player but he was by far NOT our biggest problem.

We were good at S and now we have an issue; Tanny has been fantastic at acquiring talent so I will hold judgement until FA and the draft are done.

[QUOTE=colorcrasher;3516948]There were tackles that Leonard couldn't make, and then there were tackles that Rhodes couldn't be bothered to make.

Leonard gives 100% automatically, Rhodes needs a full-time babysitter.[/QUOTE]

couldn't agree more...I'm glad Rhodes is gone...I trust Tanny and Rex

All League
    I loved Kerry Rhodes when they drafted him. He was awesome his first 3 years, but the guy has obviously fallen off the shelf. On a personal note, shying away from contact as he has done in the last couple of years makes me sick. It was a good move for the Jets because Tanny knows what he is doing and we might actually have a safety who wants to light receivers up and has range. There is no room for softies in this defense.

[QUOTE=colorcrasher;3516948]There were tackles that Leonard couldn't make, and then there were tackles that Rhodes couldn't be bothered to make.

Leonard gives 100% automatically, [B]Rhodes needs a full-time babysitter.[/B][/QUOTE]

Close....

Off the field, Rhodes traveled with an entourage, complete with a personal assistant, tailor and barber.

[url]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/11/a_potential_pro_bowler_turned.html[/url]

Rhodes is not the type of safety that Rex wants in his backfield. Im glad to get the 4th and a 7th for him. People seem to forget that he was benched this year for a reason. Everyone keeps on saying he didn't give up any big plays, well he doesn't make any big plays either. Rex wants a ball hawking, hard hitting safety, and i cant wait to see who we get to replace him

Veteran
    dont you think the FO has a plan?

or maybe you think it went like this:

'zona want rhodes, but what are we gonna do at safety?, i dunno, maybe someone will step up? ok sounds good, lets trade him'

seriously, a huge decision like that, there must be a plan set in place

Leonard gives 100% automatically, Rhodes needs a full-time babysitter.[/QUOTE]

Leonard shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as this guy who got traded. There's simply no comparison.

[QUOTE=bcess;3516965]dont you think the FO has a plan?

or maybe you think it went like this:

'zona want rhodes, but what are we gonna do at safety?, i dunno, maybe someone will step up? ok sounds good, lets trade him'

seriously, a huge decision like that, there must be a plan set in place[/QUOTE]

Didn't you hear that the Jets have a game tomorrow? Who is going to play Safety tomorrow?

You would think that is actually the case with the way some here are reacting

Narcissism is the culprit here