Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I think this trade is a mistake

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, it took me an hour to get to the end of the other 13 page thread. Did you mhave to start another:(

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=colorcrasher;3516948]There were tackles that Leonard couldn't make, and then there were tackles that Rhodes couldn't be bothered to make.

Big difference. It's all about effort.

Leonard gives 100% automatically, Rhodes needs a full-time babysitter.[/QUOTE]

Eh, talent's pretty important too. There's countless college players that will never make it in the NFL because they lack the talent. Hell, if you put me on the Jets, I'd give as much effort as anyone on the team. A real example would Eric Smith, he'll never be as good as Rhodes, it's just not possible because he doesn't have the physical talent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was one of the first around here to give this guy $hit years ago for turning soft, yes i was willing to give him another shot next year to turn it around but this trade doesnt phase me 1 bit.....see ya Carrie, you pu$$.

ps......ol pretty boy, take my picture is going to hate going from 50 cameras on him at a time to 2......LOL!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3517016]Eh, talent's pretty important too. There's countless college players that will never make it in the NFL because they lack the talent. Hell, if you put me on the Jets, I'd give as much effort as anyone on the team. A real example would Eric Smith, he'll never be as good as Rhodes, it's just not possible because he doesn't have the physical talent.[/QUOTE]

and talent doesn't mean anything if said player doesn't care to use it

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just got in and heard the news. Im stunned and mad as a fan. Mad because its a bad football trade. Mad because it does not make the team better. And mad because this just reeks of dumping salary. Price gouge the fans for PSLs and tickets and then make this move. There is no way the Jets can spin that this is good value. They got back his original draft pick and what amounts to a UDFA. You have to be kidding. Im not a Rhodes fan, but we did not get better today.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3517030]I just got in and heard the news. Im stunned and mad as a fan. Mad because its a bad football trade. Mad because it does not make the team better. And mad because this just reeks of dumping salary. Price gouge the fans for PSLs and tickets and then make this move. There is no way the Jets can spin that this is good value. They got back his original draft pick and what amounts to a UDFA. You have to be kidding. Im not a Rhodes fan, but we did not get better today.[/QUOTE]

yeah, i don't like our chances in tomorrows game

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3517032]yeah, i don't like our chances in tomorrows game[/QUOTE]

List of players that would be an upgrade over Rhodes:

Eric Berry (we'd have to trade all of our 2010 picks, plus at least another pick or two from the 2011 draft)

OJ Atogwe

Darren Sharper

If we get one of those players, then we should be able to retain the #1 pass defense we had in 2010. The one that gave up 8 total touchdowns for the entire season.
    Last edited by Buzzsaw; 03-06-2010 at 09:52 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=RexRutha;3516969]Leonard shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as this guy who got traded. There's simply no comparison.[/QUOTE]

You're right. One plays football like a man, and the other plays like a pansy ass little girl.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3517028]and talent doesn't mean anything if said player doesn't care to use it[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Talent also involves knowing when and how to apply it, and also improving upon it.

Rhodes wasn't interested in doing the work. Period. Not my idea of a professional talent.

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3517016]Eh, talent's pretty important too. There's countless college players that will never make it in the NFL because they lack the talent. Hell, if you put me on the Jets, I'd give as much effort as anyone on the team. A real example would Eric Smith, he'll never be as good as Rhodes, it's just not possible because he doesn't have the physical talent.[/QUOTE]

Some players are more skilled than others. Leonhard has skills that exceed his size, and are way beyond those who don't make the NFL. But if anyone thinks Rhodes has more overall talent, then his gutless performance is even more inexcusable.

The way I see it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rhodes looked slow at times and is not known as a fierce hitter. Looks like the Jets want to upgrade here in the draft. Good move. Cut some salary. Get younger and stronger at the S position

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmmm........njherdfan or Rex Ryan? njherdfan.......Rex Ryan. herd....or...Ryan.

I've gotta go with Ryans judgement on this one.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its not a mistake. Its a colossal blunder!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517082]Its not a mistake. Its a colossal blunder!!![/QUOTE]

LOL.....Far from it. JMO

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3517032]yeah, i don't like our chances in tomorrows game[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=colorcrasher;3517066][B]Rhodes wasn't interested in doing the work. Period. Not my idea of a professional talent[/B].[/QUOTE]

And you base this on what?

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;3517075]Rhodes looked slow at times and is not known as a fierce hitter. Looks like the Jets want to upgrade here in the draft. Good move. Cut some salary. Get younger and stronger at the S position[/QUOTE]

So, he's not a fierce hitter, is every Safety supposed to be? He's an excellent cover safety and that's one of the reasons the Jets' D allowed 8 passing TD's all year.

The Jets did not get enough back in return and now they have a glaring hole to fix.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3517030]I just got in and heard the news. Im stunned and mad as a fan. Mad because its a bad football trade. Mad because it does not make the team better. And mad because this just reeks of dumping salary. Price gouge the fans for PSLs and tickets and then make this move. There is no way the Jets can spin that this is good value. They got back his original draft pick and what amounts to a UDFA. You have to be kidding. Im not a Rhodes fan, but we did not get better today.[/QUOTE]

But we might very well be better after the draft. Whether we pick up a vet safey elsewhere or draft one I'm not of the opinion that we will be crushed by this move. Rhodes was simply not a great and intergral part of the defense last year. Eric Smith, no where near as talented of a player didn't kill us when he went in.

I have no idea if this was a big salary dump or not but I do know that the team will not collapse without Kerry Rhodes and could very well be better when we get a replacement.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the Jets biggest weakness on D last year was covering the slot receiver. That needs to be addressed.

We can't go another year with Drew Coleman there. We need a cover safety or a 3rd CB who can cover the slot and/or TE.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3517083]LOL.....Far from it. JMO[/QUOTE]

What is the basis of that ?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Super Mario;3517084]:rolleyes:

And you base this on what?

So, he's not a fierce hitter, is every Safety supposed to be? He's an excellent cover safety and that's one of the reasons the Jets' D allowed 8 passing TD's all year.

The Jets did not get enough back in return and now they have a glaring hole to fix.[/QUOTE]

The main reason the Jets allowed 8 passing tds is because they have hands down the best corner in the league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3517038]List of players that would be an upgrade over Rhodes:

Eric Berry (we'd have to trade all of our 2010 picks, plus at least another pick or two from the 2011 draft)

OJ Atogwe

Darren Sharper

If we get one of those players, then we should be able to retain the #1 pass defense we had in 2010. The one that gave up 8 total touchdowns for the entire season.[/QUOTE]
    I like Taylor Mays too If rex is really looking for a Enforcer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517090]What is the basis of that ?[/QUOTE]

Same as your basis for calling it a colossal blunder