Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I think this trade is a mistake

we have to be a little realistic here. Rex Ryan is a defensive guru and if he thinks that Kerry had to go then Kerry had to go.

He was benched for Eric Smith and the team did not fold in those games, he barely even earned his spot back, 2 of his ints were after the game was in hand.

I trust Rex's opinion on any discussion concerning the defense and there's no way Tanny did this on his own.

Compensation seems light to me, but the cardinals were in need of a safety and yet Rhodes was only worth a 4th this year and 7th next, which means that it must have been a bad market. Probably lower than his value, but again, we have to be with Rex on this one.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3516940]I remember Rex being interviewed and when asked about Kerry he said I made him a promise but our conversation will remain between us.. I agree it was about moving him in the off season..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Well the cats out of the bag now so I guess its ok to post this. This is a direct message to me from kerry on January 25th the day of the presser.Sorry kerry but it does not relly matter anymore.

Direct messages sent only to you
    Inbox Sent
    Retweets by others Retweets by you Your tweets, retweeted

[B]kerryrhodes becuz between me and u its my decision. he wants me back he already told me [/B]5:41 PM Jan 25th

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3517086]But we might very well be better after the draft. Whether we pick up a vet safey elsewhere or draft one I'm not of the opinion that we will be crushed by this move. Rhodes was simply not a great and intergral part of the defense last year. Eric Smith, no where near as talented of a player didn't kill us when he went in.

I have no idea if this was a big salary dump or not but I do know that the team will not collapse without Kerry Rhodes and could very well be better when we get a replacement.[/QUOTE]

There's where you're wrong. Kerry [I]was [/I] an integral part of the Defense. He alongside with Revis led the pass defense. Say what you want about his run support/tackling, but Kerry was usually outstanding in coverage, except for a handful of times (NE game, Mercedes Lewis, etc.).

Like I said before, Eric Smith is awful in pass coverage. Teams will go after him, and soon everyone here will want Kerry back.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Super Mario;3517084]And you base this on what?[/QUOTE]

i think being the only defender to not learn the defense and refusing to put in the extra work with the db coach to learn it is a good place to start.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517094]Same as your basis for calling it a colossal blunder[/QUOTE]

This is what i posted on another thread. I am cutting and pasting.

This has to be most horrible trade of Tanny's era.

1. First it creates a need in the lineup that would need to be addressed via
    draft with a higher round draft pick.
    2. And all we got was a lower 4th round and 7th round next year. That's
    bargain basement price. The Cardinals got the better end of this deal. No
    doubt about it.

[QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517107]This is what i posted on another thread. I am cutting and pasting.

doubt about it.[/QUOTE]

i responded to both in the other thread and am not cutting and pasting

All Pro
    [QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517107]This is what i posted on another thread. I am cutting and pasting.

doubt about it.[/QUOTE]

#2 is completely your opinion. i could say we robbed them blind and that's just as much of a legitimate statement as yours.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3517102]i think being the only defender to not learn the defense and refusing to put in the extra work with the db coach to learn it is a good place to start.[/QUOTE]

Link to the first part?

And I believe Kerry refused to meet with Thurman, but did so later on.

1. First it creates a need in the lineup that would need to be addressed via draft with a higher round draft pick.
    2. And all we got was a lower 4th round and 7th round next year. That's bargain basement price. The Cardinals got the better end of this deal. No doubt about it.[/QUOTE]

1. or via a trade...Why don't we wait to see how this all plays out before labeling this a colossal blunder.
    2. bargain basement price according to you....And how can you say the Cards got the best of this when it's only March 6th? What has Rhodes done the past 2 years? My god he was benched this year.

Rex either didn't want him or Rhodes didn't want to do what Rex asked of him.

As for the value. How much value do you think there is for an average to slightly above avg safety that was benched by one of the most respected defensive coaches in the NFL? There are only so many teams that 1) need a safety and 2) want to deal for one.

[QUOTE=Super Mario;3517120]Link to the first part?

And I believe Kerry refused to meet with Thurman, but did so later on.[/QUOTE]

[B]Pettine made it pretty clear he didn’t think Rhodes’ commitment to football was strong enough[/B]. Rhodes, who’s involved in a lot of off-the-field activities, including acting and modeling, rubbed Pettine the wrong way. [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_send_rhodes_to_cardinals_get_gDusxHTTJbS5RfbWXNYS9L#ixzz0hSXcvxnR[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3517128]1. or via a trade...Why don't we wait to see how this all plays out before labeling this a colossal blunder.
    2. bargain basement price according to you....And how can you say the Cards got the best of this when it's only March 6th? What has Rhodes done the past 2 years? My god he was benched this year.

As for the value. How much value do you think there is for an average to slightly above avg safety that was benched by one of the most respected defensive coaches in the NFL? There are only so many teams that 1) need a safety and 2) want to deal for one.[/QUOTE]

Right, his value is not at its' peak, so you keep him. It's not like Rhodes is killing the defense, he's an important part. It's a steal by the Cardinals right now, because Rhodes can easily be worth more than a 4th and 7th round pick. Yes, time will dictate who won the deal, but right now we need to see the Jets' plan for Rhodes' replacement.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517131][B]Pettine made it pretty clear he didn’t think Rhodes’ commitment to football was strong enough[/B]. Rhodes, who’s involved in a lot of off-the-field activities, including acting and modeling, rubbed Pettine the wrong way. [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_send_rhodes_to_cardinals_get_gDusxHTTJbS5RfbWXNYS9L#ixzz0hSXcvxnR[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

I asked for a link to Rhodes refusing to learn the playbook. I can't find it, but I remember reading something about Rhodes adjusting to the new system.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517128]

As for the value. How much value do you think there is for an average to slightly above avg safety that was benched by one of the most respected defensive coaches in the NFL? [/QUOTE]

It's that simple. There's no value in a player, no matter how 'talented' he is, if he doesn't perform.

[QUOTE=Super Mario;3517141]Right, his value is not at its' peak, so you keep him. It's not like Rhodes is killing the defense, he's an important part. It's a steal by the Cardinals right now, because Rhodes can easily be worth more than a 4th and 7th round pick. Yes, time will dictate who won the deal, but right now we need to see the Jets' plan for Rhodes' replacement.

I asked for a link to Rhodes refusing to learn the playbook. I can't find it, but I remember reading something about Rhodes adjusting to the new system.[/QUOTE]

i can't remember exactly which game, but i think it was the Atlanta game, Revis got burned or changed coverage and then Rhodes was in the area and I just remember him shaking his head in disbelief and anger at what REVIS had done...idk about playbooks but he's getting mad at the wrong guy. He thought he was Ed Reed and Rex thought he could be Ed Reed and it showed in the system and the outcomes

[QUOTE=Megalomaniac;3517115]#2 is completely your opinion. i could say we robbed them blind and that's just as much of a legitimate statement as yours.[/QUOTE]
    With 8000+ posts i am sure a great majority of them had completely your opinion. Without opinions this board would have 99% less posts. ;)

[QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517173]With 8000+ posts i am sure a great majority of them had completely your opinion. Without opinions this board would have 99% less posts. ;)[/QUOTE]

right but typically arguments should at least hint at facts

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517128]1. or via a trade...Why don't we wait to see how this all plays out before labeling this a colossal blunder.

As for the value. How much value do you think there is for an average to slightly above avg safety that was benched by one of the most respected defensive coaches in the NFL? There are only so many teams that 1) need a safety and 2) want to deal for one.[/QUOTE]

This trade is done. And the evaluation is of the trade we made. And for the talent we gave up we did not get enough value in picks for a guy who started the past few years this league at his position.
    Question you have to ask is what safety will we get for the 4th rounder and next years 7th rounders from Arizona ? Any answers.
    And since this a low 4th round pick and we do not have a 3rd round pick we might now have to spend our 2nd round pick in drafting a safety.
    This is not a great move.

[QUOTE=tony montana;3517095]
    Compensation seems light to me, but the cardinals were in need of a safety and yet Rhodes was only worth a 4th this year and 7th next, which means that it must have been a bad market. Probably lower than his value, but again, we have to be with Rex on this one.[/QUOTE]

It means it could be a bad market or JETS did not get deal out of it. I think Tanny has made some great trades for the JETS in the past. But this has to be the worst trade he negotiated of them all. The JETS did not get proper compensation for the talent they trade away.

[QUOTE=tony montana;3517180]right but typically arguments should at least hint at facts[/QUOTE]

LOL
    Its ironic and comedic the post in question actually is in sync with one of your posts. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517193]This trade is done. And the evaluation is of the trade we made. And for the talent we gave up we did not get enough value in picks for a guy who started the past few years this league at his position.
    Question you have to ask is what safety will we get for the 4th rounder and next years 7th rounders from Arizona ? Any answers.
    And since this a low 4th round pick and we do not have a 3rd round pick we might now have to spend our 2nd round pick in drafting a safety.
    This is not a great move.[/QUOTE]

But how do you know what his value is? Have you called the other 31 teams?

And what value is going to be out there when the league knows Rhodes isn't a Rex kind of player?

He was benched! He hasn't done a thing for 2+ years. Erik Coleman was a 5th round pick that started his rookie year and could do the same as Rhodes the past 2 years.

What do you think his value is?

[QUOTE=JetsFanInDenver;3517206]LOL
    Its ironic and comedic the post in question actually is in sync with one of your posts. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

i never said i was making sound arguments lol