Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safeties

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Safeties

Outside of Berry, Thomas and Mays... who do you like?

I guy who has been on my radar for a long time is Reshad Jones from Georgia.

[IMG]http://www.accessnorthga.com/img/stories/216853/reshad_jones_medium.jpg[/IMG]

6'1" 215 ran 4.54 at the combine and I thought he was pretty impressive in his overall performance there. I think he plays a little faster than that timed speed as well. He's a hard hitter with some ballhawking ability and very athletic for his size, has the frame to add some bulk if needed.

I think he'll be there at 61...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like Barry[B] CHURCH [/B], Kam [B]CHANCELLOR [/B]and Taylor [B]MAYS[/B]

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nate Allen, Chad Jones, Larry Asante.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really, really hope we don't draft Taylor Mays now. That would be a big mistake.

This is a decent draft to be needing a FS. I don't think we necessarily need to draft one in the first round unless someone like Earl Thomas miraculously falls to us. We can probably pick up someone like Nate Allen in the second round and he'd be great on this defense. So now my strategy would be to trade back and pick up Nate Allen in the early to mid-second round.

[img]http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/galleries/197/197369/display_image_GYI0058648622.jpg[/img]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nate Allen but really:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TJUYcwwwOY[/url]

I'd love to grab him with this new 4th.

This Rhodes trade sucks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) Taylor Mays
    2) Morgan Burnett in the 2nd
    3) Move back 10 spots or so and take Nate Allen.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuG3uM0RwLA[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gato, I like Chancellor as an in the box SS blitzing and stuffing the run but I don't know if he has the range to be a CF guy. I basically see him as and Eric Smith type.

Nate Allen would be a nick pick also.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nate Allen, Kam Chancellor, Morgan Burnett, Rashad Jones, Major Wright...

There's no need for us to freak out and draft a Safety at 29. We could potentially find a solid replacement for Rhodes all the way in Round 4.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd personally like the FO to draft Mays. We need an athletic hard hitter next to Leonhard. Mays has great range and that will be critical with Jim on the field.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3517555]I'd personally like the FO to draft Mays. We need an athletic hard hitter next to Leonhard. Mays has great range and that will be critical with Jim on the field.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't hate that pick but there are several good Safety prospects that will be available at 61 and posibly a couple will fall to us round 4 even. Better to use the 1st round pick on BAP or try to find a pass rushing OLB or upgrade at DE.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3517555]I'd personally like the FO to draft Mays. We need an athletic hard hitter next to Leonhard. Mays has great range and that will be critical with Jim on the field.[/QUOTE]

Hard hitter that is a terrible tackler...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3517440]Gato, I like Chancellor as an in the box SS blitzing and stuffing the run but I don't know if he has the range to be a CF guy. I basically see him as and Eric Smith type.

Nate Allen would be a nick pick also.[/QUOTE]

Eric Smith with better size and instincts.

Taylor Mays is kind of a possibility, I guess. Chad Jones...Kendrick Lewis is another personal favorite...Morgan Burnett...Reshad Jones is a glorified Elam...Kurt Coleman because OSU DBs aren't half bad...
    Last edited by SenorGato; 03-07-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3517440]Gato, I like Chancellor as an in the box SS blitzing and stuffing the run but I don't know if he has the range to be a CF guy. I basically see him as and Eric Smith type.

Nate Allen would be a nick pick also.[/QUOTE]

His coverage skills in that video looked at least adequate for a FS. Broke up a number of passes, and was right there for many more which sometimes is all you can expect from your FS when the QB makes a perfect throw. He has a nice feel for the QB on his deep reads, too. Add in his tackling, which was very good, and you have a value pick in the 4th and a guy that can probably step right in and give you what KR gave us last year and more.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yikes... Chancellor looks like Kerry Rhodes lite! Keep this guy as far away from Floram Park as possible!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there might be a possibility of us drafting one of the bigger CBs in this draft to possibly play Safety... Kareem Jackson or Perrich Cox seem like good candidates.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    berry
    earl thomas
    taylor mays
    nate allen
    morgan burnett
    chad jones
    darrell stuckey
    reshad jones
    major wright
    larry asante
    kam chancellor
    WOW THIS DRAFT IS DEEP AT SAFETY

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think T.J. Ward would fit here and Oregon has surprisingly pumped out some pretty solid safeties in recent memory.

I've liked Robert Johnson out of Utah for awhile too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjpt-eJTmsU&feature=related[/url]

Trade back in to the early 2nd, and draft this kid and I'd be happy......Any time you watched LSU, you knew who Chad Jones was

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517618]Eric Smith with better size and instincts.

Taylor Mays is kind of a possibility, I guess. Chad Jones...Kendrick Lewis is another personal favorite...Morgan Burnett...Reshad Jones is a glorified Elam...Kurt Coleman because OSU DBs aren't half bad...[/QUOTE]

Glorified Elam???

Elam has no ball skills and is a below average athlete for an NFL safety. Unlike Jones who is above average athletically and has pretty solid ball skills. That's a pretty lousy comparison.