Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good News on the Rhodes "deal"

Schluberator & Gadfly
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517256]I don't it's March more then a month away from the Draft why do we need a Safety right now??[/QUOTE]

Somebody has to get our coffee! Now with Carrie gone, who will!?!?! :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3517594]Somebody has to get our coffee! Now with Carrie gone, who will!?!?! :D[/QUOTE]

Woodhead brings Irish Coffee forget Carrie..:P

[QUOTE=frostlich;3517513]Good points in all.

So, we traded a starter that either wasn't nearly as good as the hype (we got what he was worth) or there was something that bad going on with him that Tanny needed to ship him fast. Weird being that I read Tanny allegedly stated KR would be a Jet this season.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out somewhere down the road that there was some recent specific event that triggered the sudden trade. KR effed up some way and was forced out the door in short order?[/QUOTE]

Immediate thoughts on Kerry Rhodes being shipped to Arizona:

1. This was a long time coming. You knew this would be the end result when Rhodes was demoted last November. I didn't buy the GM-speak on Friday, when Mike Tannenbaum said he expected Rhodes back "unless something happens." By then, the Jets already had been in discussions with the Cards, who ratcheted up the talks when they lost Antrel Rolle Friday night.

2. Rhodes was due to make $13 million over the next three seasons, and the Jets didn't feel he was worth it. In a span of 24 hours, the Jets dumped $10.8 million in 2010 salary -- Rhodes ($5.03 million, including $2 million roster bonus due next week) and RB Thomas Jones ($5.8 million). You can add another $10 million to the salary dump if you want to count Lito Sheppard's option bonus, but he never really had a realistic shot of getting it. The point is, you have to wonder if owner Woody Johnson is tightening his budget with a lockout looming in 2011.

3. The Jets got good value for Rhodes -- a fourth-rounder this year and a seventh-rounder in 2011. They now have picks in Rounds 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7. They like the fourth-rounder because they weren't keen on the prospect of having to sit out two straight rounds.

4. I don't think they're going to get a "big name" to replace Rhodes. They may check into Ravens RFA Dawan Landry, but it probably won't get very far because of the compensation level -- a second-round pick. I think they're going to stay on the cheap and save the big money in the secondary for the corners -- a Darrelle Revis extension and a possible extension in 2011 for Antonio Cromartie, if he works out.

5. So who plays safety? Right now, Eric Smith (RFA) is the favorite to start alongside Jim Leonard, but I suspect they'll draft a safety, maybe even in the first round (29th overall). USC's Taylor Mays, coming off an impressive combine, is projected as a late first-round pick.

[B]6. Rhodes wore out his welcome. Some people in the organization felt he talked too much and didn't back it up. Some felt he was too "Hollywood." D.C. Mike Pettine was openly critical of his work ethic and commitment. That recent lunch meeting with Pettine, which Rhodes called "productive" on his Twitter page, was anything but. As one team source told me last week, the meeting only confirmed Rhodes' rocky relationship with some members of the staff.[/B]

7. Don't feel bad for Rhodes. He will collect his $2 million bonus and go directly to a franchise that has learned how to win. He will be reunited with his first D.C., Cards DB coach Donnie Henderson, and he gets to play alongside one of the best safeties in the game, Adrian Wilson.

8. How come the Jets can't hold on to their young, up-and-coming defensive players? Consider the players they've traded away or let walk away: James Farrior. John Abraham. Jonathan Vilma. And now Rhodes.

9. Could you imagine Rhodes and Cromartie in the same secondary? Missed tackles galore.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/analysis-of-the-rhodes-trade.html#ixzz0hVQ32LeT[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SCITSCAT;3517323]

We need a Stud Punter, so we can pin people. [/QUOTE]

Can Cromartie kick ??..

Banned
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3517610]Immediate thoughts on Kerry Rhodes being shipped to Arizona:

1. This was a long time coming. You knew this would be the end result when Rhodes was demoted last November. I didn't buy the GM-speak on Friday, when Mike Tannenbaum said he expected Rhodes back "unless something happens." By then, the Jets already had been in discussions with the Cards, who ratcheted up the talks when they lost Antrel Rolle Friday night.

2. Rhodes was due to make $13 million over the next three seasons, and the Jets didn't feel he was worth it. In a span of 24 hours, the Jets dumped $10.8 million in 2010 salary -- Rhodes ($5.03 million, including $2 million roster bonus due next week) and RB Thomas Jones ($5.8 million). You can add another $10 million to the salary dump if you want to count Lito Sheppard's option bonus, but he never really had a realistic shot of getting it. The point is, you have to wonder if owner Woody Johnson is tightening his budget with a lockout looming in 2011.

3. The Jets got good value for Rhodes -- a fourth-rounder this year and a seventh-rounder in 2011. They now have picks in Rounds 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7. They like the fourth-rounder because they weren't keen on the prospect of having to sit out two straight rounds.

4. I don't think they're going to get a "big name" to replace Rhodes. They may check into Ravens RFA Dawan Landry, but it probably won't get very far because of the compensation level -- a second-round pick. I think they're going to stay on the cheap and save the big money in the secondary for the corners -- a Darrelle Revis extension and a possible extension in 2011 for Antonio Cromartie, if he works out.

5. So who plays safety? Right now, Eric Smith (RFA) is the favorite to start alongside Jim Leonard, but I suspect they'll draft a safety, maybe even in the first round (29th overall). USC's Taylor Mays, coming off an impressive combine, is projected as a late first-round pick.

[B]6. Rhodes wore out his welcome. Some people in the organization felt he talked too much and didn't back it up. Some felt he was too "Hollywood." D.C. Mike Pettine was openly critical of his work ethic and commitment. That recent lunch meeting with Pettine, which Rhodes called "productive" on his Twitter page, was anything but. As one team source told me last week, the meeting only confirmed Rhodes' rocky relationship with some members of the staff.[/B]

7. Don't feel bad for Rhodes. He will collect his $2 million bonus and go directly to a franchise that has learned how to win. He will be reunited with his first D.C., Cards DB coach Donnie Henderson, and he gets to play alongside one of the best safeties in the game, Adrian Wilson.

8. How come the Jets can't hold on to their young, up-and-coming defensive players? Consider the players they've traded away or let walk away: James Farrior. John Abraham. Jonathan Vilma. And now Rhodes.

9. Could you imagine Rhodes and Cromartie in the same secondary? Missed tackles galore.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/analysis-of-the-rhodes-trade.html#ixzz0hVQ32LeT[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

I heard he was alienating teammates by inviting them to circle jerks at his place, only Braylon would join him and always left with greasy hands that clearly impacted his play last year. This is a move to cure Braylon of dropitis.

[QUOTE=2foolish197;3517455]ok, two points...why is this trade 'bizarre' and why do we have to draft a safety in 1st rd?[/QUOTE]

this trade is bizarre in the sense that we're trading our best safety and not getting back as much value as we (the fans) would've liked. however, there is plenty of time to address the situation, through free agency and/or the draft. there is no need to draft Rhodes' replacement in the 1st, unless Tanny's looking to make a big splash and go after Berry.

but i doubt that. expect the Jets to go after a cheaper veteran in free agency, someone who'll be in the same level of productivity as Rhodes has shown the last 2 seasons -- if the Jets front office believed he could get back to Pro Bowl form under Rex, he'd still be here. then we'll probably draft a mid-round developmental prospect.

[QUOTE=operaguy;3517615]I heard he was alienating teammates by inviting them to circle jerks at his place, only Braylon would join him and always left with greasy hands that clearly impacted his play last year. This is a move to cure Braylon of dropitis.[/QUOTE]

LOL

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3517610]Immediate thoughts on Kerry Rhodes being shipped to Arizona:

[B] 8. How come the Jets can't hold on to their young, up-and-coming defensive players? Consider the players they've traded away or let walk away: James Farrior. John Abraham. Jonathan Vilma. And now Rhodes.[/B]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Interesting observation..

Farrior (1997-2001) had one above avg. season, his last in green & white and the jets were becoming a Tampa-2 defense under Herm. Farrior signs with Pittsburgh and flourishes in the 3-4.

Abraham (2000-2005) Abraham was prob the Jets defensive player of the past decade until Revis. Injuries and attitude helped pave his way off the field.

Vilma (2004-2007) Brilliant rookie campaign stymied by coaching change and change in defensive philosophy made Vilma expendable.

Rhodes (2005-2009) Started surprisingly strong but seemed to get a little less impressive year after year when he shoulda been dominant at his position. Clashed with coaching staff.

seems like it's either a switch in philosophy (instability at the HC position) or attitude that corrupts our young jets bretheren.

^^ And all go on to fine careers. Shocking.

Trading up for Earl Thomas

Most mock drafts have Earl Thomas going to Pittsburgh or Houston.

I think a decent option would be to trade up in front of Pittsburgh or Houston and draft Thomas with the 17th or 19th pick (Steelers pick 18 and Texans pick 20th).

What would this move cost us moving up from 29?

Banned
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517654]^^ And all go on to fine careers. Shocking.[/QUOTE]

Like Erik Coleman and Jason Ferguson and Aaron Glenn and Victor Green and any number of properly released players. Grouping Kerry with a crowd proves NOTHING. Your point is nil. Can't project results until they happen and I have no reason to believe Kerry will do any better in ARZ.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

And you think it's just the Jets?? Great players have been to several teams like Marshal Faulk,Moss,Montana,Rice etc.. If you really think you could be a great GM send Woody your resume..Just don't put on the theft of a Pizza delivery vehicle..:P

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3517649]Interesting observation..

Farrior (1997-2001) had one above avg. season, his last in green & white and the jets were becoming a Tampa-2 defense under Herm. Farrior signs with Pittsburgh and flourishes in the 3-4.

Abraham (2000-2005) Abraham was prob the Jets defensive player of the past decade until Revis. Injuries and attitude helped pave his way off the field.

Vilma (2004-2007) Brilliant rookie campaign stymied by coaching change and change in defensive philosophy made Vilma expendable.

Rhodes (2005-2009) Started surprisingly strong but seemed to get a little less impressive year after year when he shoulda been dominant at his position. Clashed with coaching staff.

seems like it's either a switch in philosophy (instability at the HC position) or attitude that corrupts our young jets bretheren.[/QUOTE

It could be argued that Rhodes was key to the late season run,he shut down a lot of good TEs . The scary thing about the Cro trade is that it hardly got a mention on the chargers site except to thank gm AJ for the move and how they wished he was benched sooner in the season. Sounds a lot like Sheppard last year.

[QUOTE=operaguy;3517663]Like Erik Coleman and Jason Ferguson and Aaron Glenn and Victor Green and any number of properly released players. Grouping Kerry with a crowd proves NOTHING. Your point is nil. Can't project results until they happen and I have no reason to believe Kerry will do any better in ARZ.[/QUOTE]

I have tons of reasons:

- He's a good player. Just because a bunch of Jets fans keep calling him a p*ssy doesn't actually mean he's a bad player.

- No one is ever really as good or bad as the common though may be.

- He's a versatile player.

- He's added to a D with Dockett, Wilson, and Rodgers-Cromartie already at the nucleus.

- One bad year isn't a trend or a f*ckin career marker. This is especially true when the bad year is at 26 years old and included very good pass D.

- He and Wilson basically allow them to do whatever they want with their safeties.

Yeah - Abraham has played better than Mangold and Vilma has played better than Harris :rolleyes:

Sometime you have to make tough calls as a GM, and I stand by Tanny overall body of work.

If D Landry costs a 2nd as young and up and coming player and a sure thing, that seems a pretty reasonable price vs. a 1st rounder on a safety as speculated above. IMO if they cannot work something out in FA, we are going Dline in round one and safety in later rounds.

[QUOTE=woodside;3517680][B]Yeah - Abraham has played better than Mangold and Vilma has played better than Harris :rolleyes:[/B]

Sometime you have to make tough calls as a GM, and I stand by Tanny overall body of work.

[B]If D Landry costs a 2nd as young and up and coming player and a sure thing, that seems a pretty reasonable price vs. a 1st rounder on a safety as speculated above. [/B] IMO if they cannot work something out in FA, we are going Dline in round one and safety in later rounds.[/QUOTE]

These two things just hurt my brain...I'd facepalm but I'm lazy,

I get your point in that the Jets have found nice replacements for their players, but...

1 - That argument somehow goes away if this topic were to be switched to say...Eric Mangini. Then we'd be trading away good players "for nothing."

2 - It still creates an unnecessary hole.

3 - I did not compare any of the guys to their Jets counterparts. All are having fine careers right now...except Farrior, who is at the end of a fine career.

4 - Why in hell would we pay a 2nd round price for Landry? He's not anything amazing, we just traded a more talented, versatile player for a 4th, and he's the exact type of safety as Leonhard, except bigger. Why not just draft a safety in a round that's not the first round? We do have 6 picks now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3517692]These two things just hurt my brain...I'd facepalm but I'm lazy,

I get your point in that the Jets have found nice replacements for their players, but...

1 - That argument somehow goes away if this topic were to be switched to say...Eric Mangini. Then we'd be trading away good players "for nothing."

[B]2 - It still creates an unnecessary hole[/B].

3 - I did not compare any of the guys to their Jets counterparts. All are having fine careers right now...except Farrior, who is at the end of a fine career.

4 - Why in hell would we pay a 2nd round price for Landry? He's not anything amazing, we just traded a more talented, versatile player for a 4th, and he's the exact type of safety as Leonhard, except bigger. Why not just draft a safety in a round that's not the first round? We do have 6 picks now.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't be a unnecessary hole if the player wanted to be here.. Why you can't understand that is beyond me?? :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517610]

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Typical Cimini double speak

In one sentence he criticizes the Jets for not being able to hold on to defensive players, the very NEXT sentence, he basically backs up what the Jets did.

Rich, you and your agenda have spun yourself up to the point you don't remember what you're spinning about any more.

Find a new job a-hole, you're a damn joke!!!

BTW Rich, I don't think the Jets are going to be moving Revis or Harris anytime soon.

Banned
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517668]I have tons of reasons:

- He's a good player. Just because a bunch of Jets fans keep calling him a p*ssy doesn't actually mean he's a bad player.

- No one is ever really as good or bad as the common though may be.

- He's a versatile player.

- He's added to a D with Dockett, Wilson, and Rodgers-Cromartie already at the nucleus.

- One bad year isn't a trend or a f*ckin career marker. This is especially true when the bad year is at 26 years old and included very good pass D.

- He and Wilson basically allow them to do whatever they want with their safeties.[/QUOTE]

Card's defense is going to be weak losing Dansby and gaining Rhodes is a formula for soft football. I bet they won't make it to the playoffs this year.

[QUOTE=operaguy;3517703]Card's defense is going to be weak losing Dansby and gaining Rhodes is a formula for soft football. [B] I bet they won't make it to the playoffs this year.[/QUOTE][/B]

That might have more to do with Leinart instead of Warner more than anything...