Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The Good News on the Rhodes "deal"

[QUOTE=Savage69;3517700]It wouldn't be a unnecessary hole if the player wanted to be here.. [B]Why you can't understand that is beyond me?? [/B]:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

You know I understand it, I'm just b*tching because of the various other reasons that make this deal stupid to me. Selling low is stupid stupid even if he didn't want to be here...

Banned
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517706]You know I understand it, I'm just b*tching because of the various other reasons that make this deal stupid to me. Selling low is stupid stupid even if he didn't want to be here...[/QUOTE]

You couldn't sell low enough with Rhodes. I'd prefer to get more, but that is basically true with any pick, making your argument a tedious rendition of pointing out the obvious.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Senor Gato;3517706]You know I understand it, I'm just itching because of the various other reasons that make this deal stupid to me. Selling low is stupid stupid even if he didn't want to be here...[/QUOTE]

It's not like teams were flooding Tanny's line and offering 1st or 2nd rd picks..They got what was available..BB always seemed to like Rhodes why didn't he offer a 3rd?? Maybe what he saw in the last few years from him isn't what you saw..;)

All Pro
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517706]You know I understand it, I'm just b*tching because of the various other reasons that make this deal stupid to me. Selling low is stupid stupid even if he didn't want to be here...[/QUOTE]

I understand exactly what you are saying and last night I was upset by because I thought the Jets could get more and now they will have to give up something to replace Kerry Rhodes. Upon thinking about it I think if the Jets have plenty of time to replace Kerry Rhodes and they actually have an opportunity to improve the position through the draft, we just need to let this play out its March. Mr. T has become a real good GM lets give his plan a chance and see where the cards (pardon the pun:D) fall.

[QUOTE=operaguy;3517708]You couldn't sell low enough with Rhodes. I'd prefer to get more, but that is basically true with any pick, making your argument a tedious rendition of pointing out the obvious.[/QUOTE]

it's not about 'selling low'. rhodes is not a clear-cut elite talent at his position, and his position is not one of the more important positions. if teams are going to pay big money, the smart teams would prefer to pay it to QB, #1 wr, OT, DT, DE, rush OLB or shutdown CB. at best, rhodes is an athletic safety with the ability to blitz and make some picks, but he's nowhere close to being mentioned in the same breath as ed reed.

bottom line, rhodes should not have been paid a lot of money b/c he's not among the elite at a position not critical relative to other positions.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3517692]These two things just hurt my brain...I'd facepalm but I'm lazy,

I get your point in that the Jets have found nice replacements for their players, but...

1 - That argument somehow goes away if this topic were to be switched to say...Eric Mangini. Then we'd be trading away good players "for nothing."

2 - It still creates an unnecessary hole.

3 - I did not compare any of the guys to their Jets counterparts. All are having fine careers right now...except Farrior, who is at the end of a fine career.

4 - Why in hell would we pay a 2nd round price for Landry? He's not anything amazing, we just traded a more talented, versatile player for a 4th, and he's the exact type of safety as Leonhard, except bigger. Why not just draft a safety in a round that's not the first round? We do have 6 picks now.[/QUOTE]

1- Even with Mangini here, Harris > Vilma lol. For the record, I dont hate Mangini. Without Mangini we wouldnt have Sanchez.

2 - I agree it does create a hole, but Tanny is too good of a GM not to have a backup plan - we just dont know what it is yet

3 - Correct you didnt. Just responding to the criticism in the post before yours of letting these guys go. Net-net in most cases we got pretty good value

4 - IMO We shouldnt pay a 2nd rounder for a safety. Just pointing out that by the same argument, Id prefer not to spend a 1st rounder. Rather go for Dline in Rd 1

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    [QUOTE=JetsPT;3517257]I really hope that's true and that we aren't planning to start Eric Smith…guy is a great tackler, but we need a better athlete in coverage.[/QUOTE]

Maybe, just maybe, Rex feels like with the addition of Cro, that a cover safety is not what this D needs... maybe now he wants a hard hitter instead of a cover guy back there. Rex is a defensive genius... he knows what he's doing.:yes:

[QUOTE=2foolish197;3517455]ok, why do we have to draft a safety in 1st rd?[/QUOTE]

Simple, because as of right now, Eric Smith is our starting Safety on the depth chart, and he couldnt cover YOU on a pass pattern, much less a real NFL receiver!

[QUOTE=Baddniss;3517762]Simple, because as of right now, Eric Smith is our starting Safety on the depth chart, and he couldnt cover YOU on a pass pattern, much less a real NFL receiver![/QUOTE]

So why does a 1st need to be used on a Safety? Can't a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder suffice if the Jets and their scouting department feel he could do the job?

[QUOTE=frostlich;3517513]Good points in all.
    Weird being that I read Tanny allegedly stated KR would be a Jet this season.
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly my point!
    He said that less than 1 week ago!
    He always "hides" what he is doing. He is very smart at being a good GM.
    Kudos to Tanny. Lets see whats next at the Safety position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517768]So why does a 1st need to be used on a Safety? Can't a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder suffice if the Jets and their scouting department feel he could do the job?[/QUOTE]

Apparently the only 4th rd safety that could ever be a starter for the Jets they just traded for a 4th and a 7th rd pick..:P

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517525]I hear ya..

Where was all this panic when the Jets cut Strickland. Aren't the Jets naked at the nickel CB position? My goodness who is going to play nickel in the
    Jets next game - 5 months from now.
    .lol[/QUOTE]

Nope. Way off target.
    Lowery is still there, and has lots of potential to be a top notch nickel back for the Jets this season.
    He is 100 times better in pass coverage than Eric Smith...

[QUOTE=Dirtstar;3517619]this trade is bizarre in the sense that we're trading our best safety and not getting back as much value as we (the fans) would've liked.
    expect the Jets to go after a cheaper veteran in free agency, someone who'll be in the same level of productivity as Rhodes has shown the last 2 seasons -- if the Jets front office believed he could get back to Pro Bowl form under Rex, he'd still be here. [/QUOTE]

EXACTLY.

[QUOTE=Baddniss;3517774]Exactly my point!
    He said that less than 1 week ago!
    He always "hides" what he is doing. He is very smart at being a good GM.
    Kudos to Tanny. Lets see whats next at the Safety position.[/QUOTE]

Tanny said this Friday:

S Kerry Rhodes, due a $2 million roster bonus next week, will be back "unless something changes,"
    [COLOR=black]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/05/2010-03-05_new_york_jets_cornerback_antonio_cromartie_handling_25000_in_child_support_the_r.html#ixzz0hVqbaFoR[/URL][/COLOR]

Tanny just needs ammo for when he trades up for Earl Thomas or Eric Berry.

A guy can dream, can't he?

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517768]So why does a 1st need to be used on a Safety? Can't a 2nd, 3rd or 4th rounder suffice if the Jets and their scouting department feel he could do the job?[/QUOTE]

Simple answer to a good question:

Compare D. Revis (1st rounder) to D.Lowery (4th rounder)...
    You get what you pay for...

[QUOTE=Baddniss;3517810]Simple answer to a good question:

You get what you pay for...[/QUOTE]

Sorry, that's a really poor analogy...Tom Brady was a 6th rounder so Jarmarcus Russell as the #1 pick so be better than Brady?

And wasn't the great Kerry Rhodes a 4th rounder?

All League
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517810]Simple answer to a good question:

You get what you pay for...[/QUOTE]

Most times that you get what you pay for applys, not always so in the NFL draft. Just ask most on this board about V.G.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517815]Sorry, that's a really poor analogy...Tom Brady was a 6th rounder so Jarmarcus Russell as the #1 pick so be better than Brady?

And wasn't the great Kerry Rhodes a 4th rounder?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.. The Ghost a top Ten pick , Adewale Ogunleye,Chrebet,Wes Welker,James Harrison,Tony Romo,Priest Holmes,Antonio Gates,John Randle etc all UDFA.. Off the top of my head there are ton's more..

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517815]Sorry, that's a really poor analogy...
    And wasn't the great Kerry Rhodes a 4th rounder?[/QUOTE]

No, it is the correct analogy...and YOU just proved my point for me.

Kerry Rhodes (round #4) was a flash-in-the-pan that apparently WASNT "the real thing" in the eyes of knowledge-able football guys like Rex & Tanny.

Darrel Revis (round #1) is an all-pro according to everyone you know.

Like I said, You get what you pay for...