Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The Good News on the Rhodes "deal"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3518664]We needed a QB 2 years ago, we didn't succumb to the temptation of taking Matt Leinart.
    .[/QUOTE]

Correct, but we DID succumb to the temptation of taking Brett Favre instead!
    It was to fill a hole. It was FA instead of the draft, but it is the same concept.
    No BPA. Instead, lets immediately fill a specific need...this is exactly what I am talking about. Great example.
    Everyone at that time said Favre should retire...washed up. But we actively chased him & signed him for $10 million. Was he BPA at that time? NO WAY! in fact, 90% of the people you and I talked to then said he was "finished". Yet Tanny did it.
    Tanny is the NFL's ULTIMATE anti-BPA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3518688]

What they need out of this draft are solid starters (DE, S)

So I don't see Tannebaum trading up to grab a player in the 1st to target a position... But if anything I see him trading down to acquire additional pick(s) to use in maneuvering throughout the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds...

JMO[/QUOTE]

LOL...I agree 100% with your first sentence re DE & S.

The funny thing is I disagree 100% with your second sentence.I think he will trade UP in Rd #1 to fill one of these exact voids that you point out. We'll see...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3518821]Correct, but we DID succumb to the temptation of taking Brett Favre instead!
    It was to fill a hole. It was FA instead of the draft, but it is the same concept.
    No BPA. Instead, lets immediately fill a specific need...this is exactly what I am talking about. Great example.
    Everyone at that time said Favre should retire...washed up. But we actively chased him & signed him for $10 million. Was he BPA at that time? NO WAY! in fact, 90% of the people you and I talked to then said he was "finished". Yet Tanny did it.
    Tanny is the NFL's ULTIMATE anti-BPA.[/QUOTE]

We didn't draft Brett Favre. As I said filling holes via trade or FA goes against your argument that BPA is stupid. It actually enforces the BPA thoughts because you are making sure you fill holes in ways other than the draft if possible.

If your argument is that your team should fill all its holes no matter what then you are using all venues. This is not the same as BPA in the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3518705]. I highly doubt he lost his ability to play football. I think it was more that they didn't like his attitude, they didn't HAVE to deal with it, and they got some value for him.[/QUOTE]

Granted there were attitude issues, but you do acknowledge that the quality of Rhodes play actually HAS DROPPED over the past 2 seasons from where he was 3 years ago. Maybe he hasnt "lost his ability to play football", but SOMETHING has changed in him that effects the quality of football that he has played on the field recently. What happened?

(By the way, I have been a strong Rhodes supporter, but even I acknowledge that the caliber of his play has dropped.).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3518853]We didn't draft Brett Favre. As I said filling holes via trade or FA goes against your argument that BPA is stupid. It actually enforces the BPA thoughts because you are making sure you fill holes in ways other than the draft if possible.

If your argument is that your team should fill all its holes no matter what then you are using all venues. This is not the same as BPA in the draft.[/QUOTE]

no no. You mis-understood me. I apply the silliness of BPA EQUALLY when referring to both the draft and the signing of FA's.
    Never BPA...only fill specific holes...regardless of whether you are referring to draft or FA.