Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Good News on the Rhodes "deal"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

The Good News on the Rhodes "deal"

The good news out of all this Rhodes deal talk, is that this convinces me that Tanny has something up his sleeve, and that more dealing will follow very shortly.
    This deal is so bizarre in its current (reported) form that there is no way it would happen if they werent already working on some follow-up trade/signing that will be announced very shortly.

I know we all feel kind of "naked" at the Safety position for the moment, but I REALLY BELIEVE STRONGLY in Tanny.He isnt hanging us out to dry on this one.
    Trust him.Something will happen very soon. This guy is too good of a GM to just do this deal "as is", with no follow up.
    I really believe that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517251]The good news out of all this Rhodes deal talk, is that this convinces me that Tanny has something up his sleeve, and that more dealing will follow very shortly.
    This deal is so bizarre in its current (reported) form that there is no way it would happen if they werent already working on some follow-up trade/signing that will be announced very shortly.

[B]I know we all feel kind of "naked" at the Safety position for the moment[/B], but I REALLY BELIEVE STRONGLY in Tanny.He isnt hanging us out to dry on this one.
    Trust him.Something will happen very soon. This guy is too good of a GM to just do this deal "as is", with no follow up.
    I really believe that.[/QUOTE]

I don't it's March more then a month away from the Draft why do we need a Safety right now??

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really hope that's true and that we aren't planning to start Eric Smith…guy is a great tackler, but we need a better athlete in coverage.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517251]The good news out of all this Rhodes deal talk, is that this convinces me that Tanny has something up his sleeve, and that more dealing will follow very shortly.

I know we all feel kind of "naked" at the Safety position for the moment, but I REALLY BELIEVE STRONGLY in Tanny.He isnt hanging us out to dry on this one.

I believe he does too, and I hope you're right! The whole Rhodes thing kinda killed my Cro Buzz but I'm sure this whole thing will be addressed before the start of the next season :)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for getting your hopes up then...

I think the team may sign guys like A. Thomas or M. Kemoeatu but that is far as it's going.

My hope would be Atogwe, but that isn't likely. Rex was fine with Eric Smith last year so I can deal with that idea.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love it they make an aggressive bid for Atogwe from the Rams. He was tendered at the lowest tender. So I believe we would not have to give up draft picks if we sign him. And the Rams may not match our offer depending on how aggressive we go with it.

If this happened we essentially would be getting an upgrade from Rhodes and a 4th rounder this year and 7th rounder next year. Atogwe + 2010 4th rounder + 2011 7th rounder for Kerry Rhodes. If Tanny pulls of the Atogwe signing then I will truly say he may be the best in the biz!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsPT;3517257]I really hope that's true and that we aren't planning to start Eric Smith…guy is a great tackler, but we need a better athlete in coverage.[/QUOTE]

No chance Tanny makes this deal with the intent of having E.Smith start at Safety.No way. Smith is simply not that good.
    Sorry to say that in front of all you HOMERS, but its true. Jets are working to build a WORLD-CLASS defense. Eric Smith has no part of starting in a defense like that.

Guys, again, I am sure Tanny has something up his sleeve, and there is more coming soon..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's not a Rex Ryan type of player and we will not win a championship without Rex Ryan type of players.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517277]No chance Tanny makes this deal with the intent of having E.Smith start at Safety.No way. Smith is simply not that good.
    Sorry to say that in front of all you HOMERS, but its true. Jets are working to build a WORLD-CLASS defense. Eric Smith has no part of starting in a defense like that.

Guys, again, I am sure Tanny has something up his sleeve, and there is more coming soon..[/QUOTE]

I hear ya..Smith stepped up just fine when Rhodes was benched but it's impossible for me to think they are happy with him back there as a full time starter. I really don't think they would've just done this deal without some kind of legitimate back up plan. And I don't mean them just hoping someone great falls to them in the draft at 29. I am very curious to see how they fill this hole now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517277]No chance Tanny makes this deal with the intent of having E.Smith start at Safety.No way. Smith is simply not that good.
    Sorry to say that in front of all you HOMERS, but its true. Jets are working to build a WORLD-CLASS defense. Eric Smith has no part of starting in a defense like that.[/QUOTE]

Co-sign

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517256]I don't. it's March, more then a month away from the Draft. why do we need a Safety right now??[/QUOTE]

Very interesting question you bring up.

I'll tell you why...

Because if he doesnt trade for a safety NOW (prior to the Draft), then everyone knows the Jets will be drafting a safety in Round #1. The one thing Tanny hates is for his competitors to know exactly what he is about to do.
    What if Mayes et al are gone by pick #29 in Rd #1? Then we are screwed. Tanny is much too smart to be left in that situation...He is working a back-up plan right now as we speak...I'm sure of it.

And Again, no way Eric Smith is that back-up plan. He just isnt good enough in coverage to start for This Very Special Defense. No way...
    Last edited by Baddniss; 03-07-2010 at 12:48 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517284]Very interesting question you bring up.

I'll tell you why...

Because if he doesnt trade for a safety NOW (prior to the Draft), then everyone knows the Jets will be drafting a safety in Round #1. The one thing Tanny hates is for his competitors to know exactly what he is about to do.
    What if Mayes et al are gone by pick #29 in Rd #1? Then we are screwed. Tanny is much too smart to be left in that situation. Again, no way Eric Smith is good enough in coverage to start for This Defense. No way.[/QUOTE]

And last year people knew we needed a QB and we got who we wanted.. I think they know what their doing better then a bunch of wanna be GM's on a message board.. It's fine to speculate and have a opinion but some here think they know better and that's out of the realm of reality to me..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5th to the Redskins for Montgomery.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Baddniss;3517284]Very interesting question you bring up.

I'll tell you why...

What if Mayes et al are gone by pick #29 in Rd #1? Then we are screwed. Tanny is much too smart to be left in that situation...He is working a back-up plan right now as we speak...I'm sure of it.

And Again, no way Eric Smith is that back-up plan. He just isnt good enough in coverage to start for This Very Special Defense. No way...[/QUOTE]

I don't think its as black and white as you make it. Sure we have a hole at safety. But if I remember, didn't Rex's schemes make stars out of undrafted safeties like Leonhard and Landry?

Certainly the Jets would like to have a shot of getting Earl Thomas but its not likely that he is going to be around at 29 so it would directly affect the teams around our pick or more importantly, behind us. If Earl Thomas drops into the 20s, I would expect Tanny to make his move. I wouldn't even be shocked if he dangled our 2011 #1 with thoughts of getting up high enough to get Berry.

Too early though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517298]5th to the Redskins for Montgomery.[/QUOTE]

We have a 5th rd pick??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

History would say you have a good chance of being correct. We shall see.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517302]We have a 5th rd pick??[/QUOTE]

Yea.

So it just hit me that the Cardinals will have Rhodes and Wilson as their starting safeties...and we get a 4th round pick in return.

That's going to be the best big safety duo in the league...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=pcola;3517301] Sure we have a hole at safety. But if I remember, didn't Rex's schemes make stars out of undrafted safeties like Leonhard and Landry?
    .[/QUOTE]

Please dont EVER compare Eric Smith to either Leonhard or Landry again. Please! I'm telling you, watch the tapes. He cant cover a cripple. You have just insulted 2 fine ball-players with that comment. They will come looking for you...:D

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517306]Yea.

So it just hit me that the Cardinals will have Rhodes and Wilson as their starting safeties...and we get a 4th round pick in return.

That's going to be the best big safety duo in the league...[/QUOTE]

What did we give up for Edwards??

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517311]What did we give up for Edwards??[/QUOTE]

3rd and 5th but we have the Eagles 5th.