Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why didnt Tanny try to trade Rhodes for Boldin straight up days ago?

There are a few problems bringing in Boldin. The first is the injury history. He is just always hurt. Second is he wanted a big money extension. The Cards were not willing to do it and I cant believe we would be either, especially since this move was as much about not paying 2 million as it was anything else. Most importantly, Boldin and Cotchery are basically the same player. Boldin has had a better QB to work with in Warner and is more dangerous, but there is very little difference between the two and I dont think the two on the field at the same time would work that well.

All Pro
    I'm always surprised by discussions of wide receivers leaving Keller out of the equation. Yes, he's a TE, but he's about as hybrid a TE as there could be and much closer to a third WR. Edwards, Cotchery, Keller, and a slot guy makes sense to me. You only go for Boldin if you think Cotchery is not good.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3517446]There are a few problems bringing in Boldin. The first is the injury history. He is just always hurt. Second is he wanted a big money extension. The Cards were not willing to do it and I cant believe we would be either, especially since this move was as much about not paying 2 million as it was anything else. Most importantly, Boldin and Cotchery are basically the same player. Boldin has had a better QB to work with in Warner and is more dangerous, but there is very little difference between the two and I dont think the two on the field at the same time would work that well.[/QUOTE]

Just typed the same thing re Boldin vs. Cotchery. That's the correct comparison.

[QUOTE=nyjets1969;3517292]I think This would have been a better trade for the Jets. With a 4th you hope to catch lightning in a bottle with Boldin you add another proven weapon and improve the offense allowing the Jets ton spend the entire draft on defense. They let Boldin go for a 4th Im sure if the Jets pull the trigger with arizona days ago they might have gone for it.[/QUOTE]

Just because some twat "insider" reports some potential deal as rumour, doesn't mean it's true.

Just because another team eventually let a guy go for a similar price, doesn;t mean that deal was available for us at the time we needed it.

And one must also asssume, if thte deal WAS real, and WAS available, and yet Ryan and Tanny didn't take it, that in fact they either think Boldin wasn't what they needed, or that the deal they got (2 picks) is worth more to their plan.

We have to remember how little real info we fans have.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;3517466]Just because some twat "insider" reports some potential deal as rumour, doesn't mean it's true.

Just because another team eventually let a guy go for a similar price, doesn;t mean that deal was available for us at the time we needed it.

And one must also asssume, if thte deal WAS real, and WAS available, and yet Ryan and Tanny didn't take it, that in fact they either think Boldin wasn't what they needed, or that the deal they got (2 picks) is worth more to their plan.

[B]We have to remember how little real info we fans have[/B].[/QUOTE]

Remember the number 1 exercise on JI is Jumping to conclusions..;)

Banned
    [QUOTE=Hydro22;3517312]Madden Move? Braylon has Proven what exactly to even make you even think he is a big Name WR? dude is 1 more bad year away from being out league.[/QUOTE]

Nope.

It's actually more like Anquan Boldin is one more bad injury from being out of the league. Brandon Marshall is a great player but he's a head case who's going to want an enormous contract. We're more than fine with what we have at WR and TE.

[QUOTE=Savage69;3517470]Remember the number 1 exercise on JI is Jumping to conclusions..;)[/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg[/img]

They're cutting money for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. Lockout will take place next year.

2. They want to make room for big contracts for Revis/Mangold/Harris/Ferguson.

They cut TJ with a contract he deserved in my opinion based on last season, and they trade their safety for draft picks. They didn't want Boldin because that would be more $$$.

[QUOTE=BIGKIDD325;3517489]They're cutting money for 1 of 2 reasons.

1. Lockout will take place next year.

[B]2. They want to make room for big contracts for Revis/Mangold/Harris/Ferguson.[/B]

They cut TJ with a contract he deserved in my opinion based on last season, and they trade their safety for draft picks. They didn't want Boldin because that would be more $$$.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. This ain't Madden and Tanny is maneuvering to keep the core of this team intact by taking out the trash with Kerry. Not sure what it is but I'm sure that we'll fill the safety position. That and I'm sure that Tanny is looking at the draft for DL talent with our front 3 aging.

[QUOTE=woodside;3517500]Bingo. This ain't Madden and Tanny is maneuvering to keep the core of this team intact by taking out the trash with Kerry. Not sure what it is but I'm sure that we'll fill the safety position. That and I'm sure that Tanny is looking at the draft for DL talent with our front 3 aging.[/QUOTE]
    Tannenbaum has spent tons of Woody's money on this team. At some point you have to cut some money for the essential players. This team has lots of great players, but in my opinion, they have 5 they cannot afford to lose, and must do everything in their power to make sure they're Jets for life:

Mark Sanchez - Franchise QB's are hard to find, less than half the teams in the league have them. I'm not calling Sanchez a franchise QB yet, but he's on the right track, he'll get there.

Nick Mangold - Best C in the league, bar none. Period. The offenseive line falls apart without him. When you have someone who is the best at what they do, you don't let them go.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson - Franchise LT's are hard to find as well. We need stability at this position, it's extremely important. They Jets have groomed him to be the LT, and now he's a pro bowler at the position.

David Harris - Top 5 MLB in the game, and one of the best tacklers at any position. He's a rock in the middle, can't let him go.

Darrelle Revis - Might be the best defensive player in football. He goes no where, the defense is built around his dominance.

Obviously the Jets have tons of other fantastic players, but these guys are the core. If just one of them leaves or gets hurt for any extended period of time, we're done. Plus they're all young enough that they'll be around for another good 8-10 years.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3517485]Nope.

It's actually more like Anquan Boldin is one more bad injury from being out of the league. Brandon Marshall is a great player but he's a head case who's going to want an enormous contract. We're more than fine with what we have at WR and TE.[/QUOTE]

there is a not a GM in the league if they had there choice that would take Braylon over Marshall or Boldin.. as far as Marshall being head case atleast Marshall never blamed his bad play on the Fans

[QUOTE=Hydro22;3517307]Because we dont need another slow reciever [B]that can't stay on the field and wants a ton of money[/B].. we need SPEED[/QUOTE]

fixed

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Hydro22;3517523]there is a not a GM in the league if they had there choice that would take Braylon over Marshall or Boldin.. as far as Marshall being head case atleast Marshall never blamed his bad play on the Fans[/QUOTE]

Well if Braylon went for a 3rd and 5th and Boldin just a 4th I disagree..:yes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=Hydro22;3517523]there is a not a GM in the league if they had there choice that would take Braylon over Marshall or Boldin.. as far as Marshall being head case atleast Marshall never blamed his bad play on the Fans[/QUOTE]

Boldin is 29, injury prone and like I said before one more bad injury from being finished. He's also a possession receiver and yes there's the matter of the huge pay day he's looking for. Edwards is younger, cheaper, healthier and more of a big play guy.

Want to argue past stats? Fine. That argument works in the other sports but not in football. If that's the case Ladainian Tomlinson is a more valuable running back next season than Shonn Greene.

Brandon Marshall is better but he's nuts and it's no coincidence that headcase WR's like him, Randy Moss and Terrell Owens have never won anything. Marshall is also going to want $80 mil. I'd rather have Braylon for a fraction of that money and have money freed up to resign our core of Mangold, Ferguson, Revis and Harris.

I'm not sure GMs are falling over themselves for a 30 year old, 12 game a year WR and a guy one bad move away from being suspended for a season. If what you were saying was actually true then those guys probably would have been traded before Edwards...possibly/probably even to the Jets.

[QUOTE=Hydro22;3517320]You think WR's that cant catch stick around in this league? why do think tanny wont commit to him outside of 1 year deals?[/QUOTE]

Because it is cheaper to sign him to a tender, which was the highest tender btw, then it was to sign him to a big deal.

It also gives you another full year to evaluate if he is indeed worthy of a big new deal.
    I'd bet the odds are we offer and he signs that big deal at the end of the year.

[QUOTE=Hydro22;3517312]Madden Move? Braylon has Proven what exactly to even make you even think he is a big Name WR? dude is 1 more bad year away from being out league.[/QUOTE]

HE has great size, great speed, good to great blocker in the run game for a wr, can make amazing catches. He spreads the Defense just by stepping on the field which has to account for his speed. Because yeah, he might drop it but you can't plan on him dropping it as the opposing d co.

He just needs to get his head straight so he can focus on football, and not make the little mistakes which lead to his drops occasional drop.

Some people make mountains out of mole hills and ignore the bigger picture.:rolleyes:

Oh btw this will be the first time he has played in the NFL with a qb for two straight seasons. And yet still he had a monster year with clevland 14td 1400 yards something like that. Those are elite numbers.
    Last edited by AmericanMadman; 03-07-2010 at 01:02 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AmericanMadman;3517736]Because it is cheaper to sign him to a tender, which was the highest tender btw, then it was to sign him to a big deal.

It also gives you another full year to evaluate if he is indeed worthy of a big new deal.
    I'd bet the odds are we offer and he signs that big deal at the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

i hope it works out.. i like braylon think he has a worlds of talent . but at this point it all means nothing if he Continues to Drop Passes

All Pro
    [QUOTE=AmericanMadman;3517744]HE has great size, great speed, good to great blocker in the run game for a wr, can make amazing catches. He spreads the Defense just by stepping on the field which has to account for his speed. Because yeah, he might drop it but you can't plan on him dropping it as the opposing d co.

He just needs to get his head straight so he can focus on football, and not make the little mistakes which lead to his drops occasional drop.

Some people make mountains out of mole hills and ignore the bigger picture.:rolleyes:

Oh btw this will be the first time he has played in the NFL with a qb for two straight seasons. And yet still he had a monster year with clevland 14td 1400 yards something like that. Those are elite numbers.[/QUOTE]
    Great he has had 1 Good year... Cotchery is a better WR than Braylon and doesnt have half his physical Gifts.

[QUOTE=Hydro22;3517745]i hope it works out.. i like braylon think he has a worlds of talent . but at this point it all means nothing if he Continues to Drop Passes[/QUOTE]

Everyone drops passes...the significance you give to it is totally up to you.

And no, I'm not saying it's cool to drop passes. I'm saying sh*t happens.