Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Silly Fickle Jets Fan.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

The Silly Fickle Jets Fan.

Two days ago Tanny and Ryan are gods and brilliant for the Cromartie move. Now all of a sudden after having a history of making great moves Tanny and Rex have lost touch and pretty much suck.
    Guys grow up be patient and realize they know what they can and cant get. I am pretty certain that if they could have gotten a 2 or 3 for Rhodes they would have but the rest of the NFL doesnt live on this board or hype up Jets players as much as we do. The Cardinals cut Rolle who is better then Rhodes. They cut him! We didnt want him and honestly we dont need him and we got a 4th out of the deal. Wake up people

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LanceMehl;3517430]Two days ago Tanny and Ryan are gods and brilliant for the Cromartie move. Now all of a sudden after having a history of making great moves Tanny and Rex have lost touch and pretty much suck.
    Guys grow up be patient and realize they know what they can and cant get. I am pretty certain that if they could have gotten a 2 or 3 for Rhodes they would have but the rest of the NFL doesnt live on this board or hype up Jets players as much as we do. The Cardinals cut Rolle who is better then Rhodes. They cut him! We didnt want him and honestly we dont need him and we got a 4th out of the deal. Wake up people[/QUOTE]

I'm with ya my man!:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LanceMehl;3517430]Two days ago Tanny and Ryan are gods and brilliant for the Cromartie move. Now all of a sudden after having a history of making great moves Tanny and Rex have lost touch and pretty much suck.
    Guys grow up be patient and realize they know what they can and cant get. I am pretty certain that if they could have gotten a 2 or 3 for Rhodes they would have but the rest of the NFL doesnt live on this board or hype up Jets players as much as we do. The Cardinals cut Rolle who is better then Rhodes. They cut him! We didnt want him and honestly we dont need him and we got a 4th out of the deal. Wake up people[/QUOTE]

Of course you're right. We have virtually no clue of what's going in behind closed doors either on the Jets or with other teams. I am struck though by how low the draft value of some of these traded veteran players has been assessed to be. Knowing that the likelihood of picking up a legitimate starter out of the fourth round is significantly less than 50% it would seem these teams are banking on their brilliance in scouting. History does not support that from a statistical point of view.

I had to add that my own gut instinct is that Tanny needs these draft picks to trade up and target somebody they covet in the first round. That's his MO and it's worked in the past. The Jets are all about getting the specific guy they want. Mark Twain once said, the difference between the best adjective and the second best is like the difference between a lightning bolt and a firefly. That's the Jets' draft philosophy in a nutshell...
    Last edited by long island leprechaun; 03-07-2010 at 08:31 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3517435]Of course you're right. We have virtually no clue of what's going in behind closed doors either on the Jets or with other teams. I am struck though by how low the draft value of some of these traded veteran players has been assessed to be. Knowing that the likelihood of picking up a legitimate starter out of the fourth round is significantly less than 50% it would seem these teams are banking on their brilliance in scouting. History does not support that from a statistical point of view.

I had to add that my own gut instinct is that Tanny needs these draft picks to trade up and target somebody they covet in the first round. That's his MO and it's worked in the past. The Jets are all about getting the specific guy they want. Mark Twain once said, the difference between the best adjective and the second best is like the difference between a lightning bolt and a firefly. That's the Jets' draft philosophy in a nutshell...[/QUOTE]

No doubt that it seems off that starters command such average draft picks. The thing is its common place and happens every year. Contracts and schemes go into it big time. I am 100% certain Ryan ok this move and who in the NFL do you trust more to make defensive personel decisions then Rex. He either has a guy on the Jets or can get a guy right now that will cost half what Rhodes did and play with heart and produce rather then dance after every dumb play.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Examiner.com

Kerry off to Arizona
    Bill Kostroun/APAnother day another smart move by the New York Jets. On Saturday Gang Green traded safety Kerry Rhodes to the Arizona Cardinals for a 4th round pick in 2010, and a 7th round pick in 2011. Rhodes, a former Pro-Bowl caliber playmaker and fan favorite, wore out his welcome in New York with questionable work ethic, lackadaisical play and his desire to stay in the headlines. While some may question the move as it creates a hole in the Jets secondary, I think this could be a case of addition by subtraction.

Gang Green’s defense is built around an aggressive, tenacious style that wants to impose its will on the opposing team. Kerry Rhodes did not bring that approach to the field, which frustrated teammates and coaches alike. It even got to the point where the Jets coaching staff had to bench Rhodes in week 12 due to a horrific tackling performance the week prior. To Kerry’s credit he did rebound and play well after the benching, but the writing was on the wall for the former ballhawk at that point.

In terms of a replacement for Rhodes, the Jets have a couple of ways they can address the position. Gang Green can use the hard-hitting Eric Smith, can trade for a player like Antoine Bethea or Dawan Landry, or the team could use a first or second round pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Regardless of how the Jets go about it, the team should be able to find a suitable replacement.

In summary the Jets made the right move trading Kerry Rhodes. Rhodes did not meet Rex Ryan’s model of “being a Jet” and the team went ahead and did something about it. No one player is bigger than the team and this trade reiterates that.

Side note: I can understand some wanting to question what the Jets got in return for Kerry Rhodes. While a 4th round pick (and a 7th in 2011) is not ideal, I think the word had quickly spread around the NFL that Gang Green was not happy with Kerry. Teams are not stupid, especially when Rhodes was due a $2 million dollar bonus on the 12th. I think Gang Green got what they could for Kerry and cut their losses.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;3517451]Examiner.com

Side note: I can understand some wanting to question what the Jets got in return for Kerry Rhodes. While a 4th round pick (and a 7th in 2011) is not ideal, [B]I think the word had quickly spread around the NFL that Gang Green was not happy with Kerry. Teams are not stupid, especially when Rhodes was due a $2 million dollar bonus on the 12th. I think Gang Green got what they could for Kerry and cut their losses.[/B][/QUOTE]

Yep, this was hardly a well kept secret. Get what you can and move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A spade's a spade. You guys feel that way when calling Rhodes a p*ssy, and I feel that way when saying this trade sucked for us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I posted this in another thread.

Kerry "Hollywood" Rhodes is not a pro bowl player except in Kerry Rhodes's mind.

I have read post that this is comparable to the Pete Kendall situation and this is nothing even close. Kendall forced his way out during training camp. So late in training camp (August 23, 2007) it was so hard to replace a starting guard so close to the regular season. At the time the Jets did not want the corrupt the locker room then he already did. He was going to make the start of 2007 a circus. So the Jets cut bait. The o-line in 2007 was not a strong line it had 2 young up and coming lineman and Kendall, so losing Kendall hurt at that particular time and Kendall used this as leverage and forced his way to Washington.

This situation with Rhodes pales to compare to the Pete Kendall situation in many ways.

1) Rhodes is not a key cog to the Jets as Kendall was to the Jets at the time. Kendall was the tutor and veteran to teach young lineman. Rhodes is not a tutor or anybody we want our younger players to look up to with his "Hollywood" image especially Cromartie and his good friend Braylon Edwards.
    2) Rhodes at best is an average safety. He is not a good tackler and he was not a play maker. Look at the play against the Dolphins where Tedd Ginn burned the Jets it was Rhodes who missed over the top coverage.
    3) Rhodes is not an example we want our young players to follow.
    4) It is not even Mid March and there are still:
    a) free agents that the Jets could get
    b) Trades that Mike Tannenbaum could pull off.
    c) Draft.
    d) Waivers.

Kerry Rhodes was excellent at one thing and that was promoting himself and living off his promising start early in his career. He can be replaced quite easily and I am sure this is Jets plan once last season ended. Lets have a little faith in Mr. T. and let this play out. Its early March lots can happen. It is not the end of August and not such a key cog to the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dude "average at best" is a bad joke.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a soft safety that's afraid of contact, fought with his position coach, and got benched last year......but we should have gotten more than we did for him. :rolleyes:

I love the logic of some people on this site.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517521]Dude "average at best" is a bad joke.[/QUOTE]

Exactly!

Anyone dissing Rhodes has obviously not been here for the past few years. This kid did well for us and would have been a GREAT backup at worst.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt anyone is doubting Tanny and Rex but the reality is Kerry wasn't our biggest problem (and he may not have been the toughest safety in the league but he was one of the best). I'm sure the FO is going to bring in a great player to replace him; anything less would definitely be shocking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3517542]He's a soft safety that's afraid of contact, fought with his position coach, and got benched last year......but we should have gotten more than we did for him. :rolleyes:

I love the logic of some people on this site.[/QUOTE]

No, we shouldn't have traded him.

Common sense says you don't get rid of an asset at it's lowest value. I know emotion should always override common sense everytime, but a 4th and a future 7th for a good starting safety entering his prime years is a steal for the team paying that price.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3517544]I doubt anyone is doubting Tanny and Rex but the reality is Kerry wasn't our biggest problem (and he may not have been the toughest safety in the league but he was one of the best). I'm sure the FO is going to bring in a great player to replace him; anything less would definitely be shocking.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/76674949.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF87892140FEB0FF7845C57DB2E93BA44FFA77F795E3CFDA05059DA574913120052E034A[/IMG]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    he has talent, no doubt. But he didn't play well for 3/4 of the year last year, He was a liability at times. I'm not saying he sucks, he just hasnt been the player he once was. All things considered we could have had ESmith take his place every game last year and been the same. Maybe last year was just an off year for rhodes

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517502]A spade's a spade. You guys feel that way when calling Rhodes a p*ssy, and I feel that way when saying this trade sucked for us.[/QUOTE]

This isn't Madden Gato. You can't keep every player. Kerry's contract was much richer than his play and the cap will come back and cutting the underperforming Rhodes will help resign our core players.

Revis>Rhodes
    Mangold>Rhodes
    Brick>Rhodes
    Harris>Rhodes

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517561]No, we shouldn't have traded him.

Common sense says you don't get rid of an asset at it's lowest value. I know emotion should always override common sense everytime, but a 4th and a future 7th for a good starting safety entering his prime years is a steal for the team paying that price.[/QUOTE]

He's not hungry. Carrie was more concerned with his acting career. We need a hitman back there, not a swinging door.

It'll be fine SG, be patient my son. :yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3517583]He's not hungry. Carrie was more concerned with his acting career. We need a hitman back there, not a swinging door.

It'll be fine SG, be patient my son. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Well you're right that it'll probably be fine, and getting rid of a contract is nice. That said, it still doesn't make our team better immediately.

Tanny can make up for it with the 5th to the 'Skins for Montgomery.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bcess;3517573]he has talent, no doubt. But he didn't play well for 3/4 of the year last year, He was a liability at times. I'm not saying he sucks, he just hasn't been the player he once was. All things considered we could have had ESmith take his place every game last year and been the same. Maybe last year was just an off year for rhodes[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have nothing against Kerry Rhodes he was once a promising young player who I think fell in love with his press clippings and this effected his play. He has been nothing but average the last 3 years. I really thought at one time he was going to be a perennial pro-bowl safety. I do not think he wanted to pay the price or effort to take the next step and that is to bad. I am sorry it did not work out that way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    3 years Boyton? Throw '06 in there...the average safety could throw up the average seasons Rhodes has been throwing up with average ease.