Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Silly Fickle Jets Fan.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517561]No, we shouldn't have traded him.

Common sense says you don't get rid of an asset at it's lowest value. I know emotion should always override common sense everytime, but a 4th and a future 7th for a good starting safety entering his prime years is a steal for the team paying that price.[/QUOTE]

Having a opinion is fine but do you really believe you would be a better GM then Tanny?? Why would you want a player on the team that doesn't want to be there??:confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517605]Having a opinion is fine but do you really believe you would be a better GM then Tanny?? Why would you want a player on the team that doesn't want to be there??:confused:[/QUOTE]

Having an opinion is fine, but what if Rhodes wanted to be here?

OK, it doesn't seem like he did, but I'll quit my whining when we get someone talented in here.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=chesapeakejet;3517583][B]He's not hungry.[/B] Carrie was more concerned with his acting career. We need a hitman back there, not a swinging door.

It'll be fine SG, be patient my son. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Exactly Chesapeakejet, you hit the nail on the head!!!! He does not play hungry. His first couple years had something to prove.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517561]No, we shouldn't have traded him.

Common sense says you don't get rid of an asset at it's lowest value. I know emotion should always override common sense everytime, but a 4th and a future 7th for a good starting safety entering his prime years is a steal for the team paying that price.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

You can't expect high compensation for a guy who's been tabbed as a guy who supposedly plays soft and cares more about other things than football. People on here think he's garbage, but still think we should have gotten a 3rd or better for him. It ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517603]3 years Boyton? Throw '06 in there...the average safety could throw up the average seasons Rhodes has been throwing up with average ease.[/QUOTE]

Dude I have nothing against Kerry Rhodes I was a fan of his but since he got his contract he has been nothing better then average. This is what pisses me off about him he had talent to play better and did not. Look at fellow safety Jim Leonard and he does not have the talent Rhodes has but plays better then his talent.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3517620]Dude I have nothing against Kerry Rhodes I was a fan of his but since he got his contract he has been nothing better then average. This is what pisses me off about him he had talent to play better and did not. Look at fellow safety Jim Leonard and he does not have the talent Rhodes has but plays better then his talent.[/QUOTE]

If Jim Leonhard had Kerry's talent he'd be All Pro every year.. Same thing if Kerry had Leonhards heart and love for the game..:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ Better than his talent, not so much better than Rhodes. Maybe it's because of his lack of height that no one noticed, but Leonhard got run over alot this year. No one cares because his image is that of the little engine that can...That's why the NFL can be so corny...it's a male soap opera with characters we're supposed to love or hate...you don't see baseball players traded because of image issues.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517626]If Jim Leonhard had Kerry's talent he'd be All Pro every year.. Same thing if Kerry had Leonhards heart and love for the game..:yes:[/QUOTE]

I agree, its a shame because we all agree Kerry Rhodes had the talent but he did not have the passion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517632]^^^ Better than his talent, not so much better than Rhodes. Maybe it's because of his lack of height that no one noticed, but Leonhard got run over alot this year. No one cares because his image is that of the little engine that can...That's why the NFL can be so corny...it's a male soap opera with characters we're supposed to love or hate...you don't see baseball players traded because of image issues.[/QUOTE]

Leonard got ran over when his hand was broken and he could not tackle because he could not get a handle.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    the bottom line: this trade is a consequence of the Cromartie trade. Rex is obviously a one pu$$y at a time kinda guy so picking up Cro meant Kerry had to go.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3517637]Leonard got ran over when his hand was broken and he could not tackle because he could not get a handle.[/QUOTE]

He had surgery and didn't miss a game..Although he couldn't return punts with a cast on..:P

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3517637]Leonard got ran over when his hand was broken and he could not tackle because he could not get a handle.[/QUOTE]

And before that, but again it doesn't matter because his image is that of the Little Engine who Does/Can/Whatever.

Not even that Leonhard is a bad player...it's just a weird business.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you can expect to instill fire into a defense and a team, and expect all your players to buy into that system, if you just let it slide when a player continually plays without that fire and plays below his obvious abilities. Whatever the reason, Rhodes became Exhibit A of that kind of player. It becomes not so much what the players or coaches think of the player, it's what they think of the head coach who allows it to go on. Can't have it. I would much rather that Rhodes were on the Jets, playing like he's shown he can. Sadly, I don't think he was going to do that, and obviously Rex and Mike T. didn't think so either. When a player has lost, really lost his head coach and general manager, getting what you can in a trade becomes a pretty simple decision. And Mike T. has shown that he's not afraid to make decisions, simple or not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ0815;3517459] Get what you can and move on.[/QUOTE]

This is the key thing here....there are a lot of complaints that we didnt get enough in return for Rhodes, but that is just ridiculous. We didnt want him here, so anything we get is good for us as his "value" to the Jets is nothing.

I think Tanny is gonna use this pick to move up and get a safety. A 4th in this draft along with our 1st can move us up 5 or so spots if Thomas is still on the board. If hes gone (and I only mention him as Berry will be gone and Mays is not someone who I think we want) then we take BPA and hopefully Nate Allen in the 2nd.

If Tanny turns Kerry and a 3rd rd pick in 2011 into Cromartie and Earl Thomas, I doubt there will be one complaint on this board and there shouldnt be.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bullitt929;3517648]I don't think you can expect to instill fire into a defense and a team, and expect all your players to buy into that system, if you just let it slide when a player continually plays without that fire and plays below his obvious abilities. Whatever the reason, Rhodes became Exhibit A of that kind of player. It becomes not so much what the players or coaches think of the player, it's what they think of the head coach who allows it to go on. Can't have it. I would much rather that Rhodes were on the Jets, playing like he's shown he can. Sadly, I don't think he was going to do that, and obviously Rex and Mike T. didn't think so either. When a player has lost, really lost his head coach and general manager, getting what you can in a trade becomes a pretty simple decision. And Mike T. has shown that he's not afraid to make decisions, simple or not.[/QUOTE]

Granted Moss would only accept a trade to the Pats to rework his salary but if he loved the Raiders and played to the best of his ability would he have been traded for a 4th rd pick?? Kerry wanted to play his way and didn't like the system.. One player is not bigger then the whole team especially not a safety that only plays when he does it his way..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]We didnt want him here, so anything we get is good for us as his "value" to the Jets is nothing.
    [/QUOTE]

That's both terrible logic and bad business. Terrible business actually...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Tanny we trust. Done deal. Move On.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517645]And before that, but again it doesn't matter because his image is that of the Little Engine who Does/Can/Whatever.

Not even that Leonhard is a bad player...it's just a weird business.[/QUOTE]

Leonard does not have any where the talent of Rhodes, but Leonard gets everything out of his talent where Rhodes could work a lot harder to get the most out of his. Rhodes works on his "Hollywood" image and lets his mouth to get him to the pro bowl rather then hard work.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517643]He had surgery and didn't miss a game..Although he couldn't return punts with a cast on..:P[/QUOTE]

He should have one handed them:D

Hall Of Fame
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3517645]And before that, but again it doesn't matter because his image is that of the Little Engine who Does/Can/Whatever.

Not even that Leonhard is a bad player...it's just a weird business.[/QUOTE]

Like Kerry or not, think he's soft or not... Look at it this way...

Do you really want a guy playing for this team who doesnt want to be here and/or the coach doesnt want?

Fact is Rhodes is not the player he was before he got his BIG contract. Tanny and Rex both saw he was underachieving and they took the opportunity, with the uncapped year, to get rid of his contract, with no penalties. Sure, they only got a 4th, but this is a stacked draft, and I fully trust in Tannys talent evaluation crew to get a good player there. Besides they wouldn't have been able to resign guys like Revis/Mangold/Brick/Harris in the next 2 seasons with Rhodes' giant contract looming over them. The dude was not on the top of his game(even though his age seems to say he should be in his prime)... he hasn't been since 3 seasons ago(again after he got his contract).... it was time to cut ties and move on. I personaly think this was great business by the Jets staff. Give me Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris anyday over Rhodes... and I think thats what it rrally comes down to... honestly.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-07-2010 at 11:39 AM.