Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhodes Only Worth a 4th

Rhodes Only Worth a 4th

The more you think about it why would anybody give more than a 4th for Rhodes. He had 1 good season and has since turned into a safety that avoids contact and has no ball hawking skills. We as fans we are overestimating his worth based upon that 1 good year he had. Tanny did the right thing by getting the 4th and now let's see what he does with it.....

All Pro
    If Mr. T could have gotten more he would have. Unfortunately many fans over rate their own players.

I dont get how trading Rhodes makes this team better. As for the worth, Randy Moss was worth a 4th. the fact he was worth anything is a testament to the fact he had value.

The Jets 4th round is the money round... traditionally.

read between the lines... the jets were going to cut Rhodes. He was never going to see that roster bonus next week. They took the best deal they could get and shipped him out of the division... might have been a different negotiation if he wasn't due that large bonus next week.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=phillyjet;3517731]read between the lines... the jets were going to cut Rhodes. He was never going to see that roster bonus next week. They took the best deal they could get and shipped him out of the division... might have been a different negotiation if he wasn't due that large bonus next week.[/QUOTE]

I do not know about cutting Rhodes but yes they took the best deal available. I think it might be more then coincidently that Hollywood gets cut two days after the Jets get Cromartie.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3517694]I dont get how trading Rhodes makes this team better. As for the worth, Randy Moss was worth a 4th. the fact he was worth anything is a testament to the fact he had value.

The Jets 4th round is the money round... traditionally.[/QUOTE]

There are 2 mutually exclusive points.

Rhodes for a 4th is proper value considering the Jets traded a 2011 3rd rounder for a former all pro CB that is 2 yrs younger than Rhodes.

But it's a bad trade IMO, because it didn't make the team better.

In otherwords: Good value, bad trade.

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3517694]I dont get how trading Rhodes makes this team better. As for the worth, Randy Moss was worth a 4th. the fact he was worth anything is a testament to the fact he had value.

The Jets 4th round is the money round... traditionally.[/QUOTE]

Many harp on the Moss for a 4 issue. I belive at the time that was all he was worth due to his attitude problem in Oakland. His play that last season there caused red flags to go up all around the NFL. Almost every team could have used a reciever of his ability and Pat's lowballed and won.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Bocajetfan68;3517769]Many harp on the Moss for a 4 issue. I belive at the time that was all he was worth due to his attitude problem in Oakland. His play that last season there caused red flags to go up all around the NFL. Almost every team could have used a reciever of his ability and Pat's lowballed and won.[/QUOTE]

Pats didn't have to low ball..The Pats where the only team that Moss would have adjusted his 9 million salary for..:yes:

[QUOTE=SMC;3517757]There are 2 mutually exclusive points.

Rhodes for a 4th is proper value considering the Jets traded a 2011 3rd rounder for a former all pro CB that is 2 yrs younger than Rhodes.

In otherwords: Good value, bad trade.[/QUOTE]

If you think it's good value, then it does make the team better because we now have a 4th. The money round.

All League
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3517778]Pats didn't have to low ball..The Pats where the only team that Moss would have adjusted his 9 million salary for..:yes:[/QUOTE]

Thus the low ball. Moss did not have a no trade clause and no others steped to the plate with a better offer. Salary and attitude restricted his value.

Banned

[B]In otherwords: Good value, bad trade.[/B][/QUOTE]

If they stand pat with Eric Smith or Ihedigbo replacing Rhodes, then I agree. Rhodes is better than the in-house replacements that we have.

However something tells me they (Tanny and Rex) have something else planned. I don't think we've seen the big picture on this yet.

[B]But it's a bad trade IMO, because it didn't make the team better.[/B]

How do we know it's only March 7th?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Cut the cancer out, whatever it takes.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;3517795]If they stand pat with Eric Smith or Ihedigbo replacing Rhodes, then I agree. Rhodes is better than the in-house replacements that we have.

However something tells me they (Tanny and Rex) have something else planned. I don't think we've seen the big picture on this yet.[/QUOTE]

As of now, there is technically no replacement on the roster since both Smith and Ihedigbo are RFAs. In other words, the Jets have no player on the team that plays FS. They have to re-sign their RFAs and/or get another player for the role.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3517797]How do we know it's only March 7th?[/QUOTE]

You judge every trade as it's made. Any other move will be judged on it's own account.

Right now, until the Jets find a replacement that is better than Rhodes (he, being a JAG), the Jets are a worse team because of this trade. Hence, it's a bad trade.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Johnny Rico;3517786]If you think it's good value, then it does make the team better because we now have a 4th. The money round.[/QUOTE]

No, it doesn't work that way.

The Seahawks have 2 1st rounders (6th & 14th). If they offered those 2 picks for Sanchez is that a good deal or just good value?

It's good value, but that doesn't mean it's a good trade for the Jets. Hence the points are mutually exclusive.

Hall Of Fame

SMC bringing the goods, as per usual.

Well said, Sir. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SMC;3518013]As of now, there is technically no replacement on the roster since both Smith and Ihedigbo are RFAs. In other words, the Jets have no player on the team that plays FS. They have to re-sign their RFAs and/or get another player for the role.

.[/QUOTE]

There's no replacement now..But since we don't play for another 5+ months I don't see the immediate need that some of you do.. Why do people want the team set at every position in March?? :confused:

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with the OP. We got a 4th rounder for what was a guy who likely would have been cut at some point. Also, can we stop with referring to Rhodes as "rangy"? The only thing rangy about him was his build, otherwise he was indecisive and plodding, at least this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Mr Softie wasn't even worth a fourth

MT getting a 4th AND another pick robbed the Bidwells blind

One thing people need to remember is that draft picks have significantly more value this year with the cap situation.

Teams are going to hold their picks closer to the chest than their players because picks typically won't command the same type of money that vets will in an uncapped market.

Since the value of the pick has gone up, that means you'll get less value when trading players.

A 4th this uncapped year could very well have been a 3rd last year.