Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting safeties and where they were picked...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting safeties and where they were picked...

1st round: 6
    2nd round: 20
    3rd round: 5
    4th round: 5
    5th round: 4
    6th round: 6
    7th round: 3
    Undrafted: 14

No need to panic and think we have to use our 1st rounder on a safety.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The value with this years safety class is in the 2nd round. I'm gonna be preaching Morgan Burnetts name until draft day.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good research! Cannot believe how many undrafted guys there are. This years 2nd round is really good for safeties.

Ideally I would like to trade back out of our first round pick so we do not have to wait until the bottom of the second round to grab one. I like Nate Allen but do not think he will be there at the end of the second round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    T.J. Ward or Robert Johnson

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many of those 3rd-UDFA safties started as rookies?

Because we're not just looking for a safety, we're looking for a Day 1 starter. You can't take someone who might be good in 3 years. He's got to be good now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3517906]The value with this years safety class is in the 2nd round. I'm gonna be preaching Morgan Burnetts name until draft day.[/QUOTE]

I 2nd Burnett!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3518020]How many of those 3rd-UDFA safties started as rookies?

Because we're not just looking for a safety, we're looking for a Day 1 starter. You can't take someone who might be good in 3 years. He's got to be good now.[/QUOTE]

Kerry Rhodes is not Darelle Revis, you are a Rhodes supporter but are panicking a bit in my opinion. I also think that in the Tannenbaum tradition he will pick up a safetey before the draft.

Was there a huge drop off when Smith started over Rhodes? Not really and Smith is a limited player. In any case this is why post season is so much fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3518056]Kerry Rhodes is not Darelle Revis, you are a Rhodes supporter but are panicking a bit in my opinion. I also think that in the Tannenbaum tradition he will pick up a safetey before the draft.

Was there a huge drop off when Smith started over Rhodes? Not really and Smith is a limited player. In any case this is why post season is so much fun.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with my opinion of Rhodes. It has to do with us being inadequate at the Safety position right now, and if you're going to look to fill the need in the draft, it needs to be someone capable of starting Day 1, because as presently constituted, we don't have another player that is.

As for Smith, he's a huge liability in the passing game, which has repeatedly been exposed throughout the years. The only reason you didn't notice a drop-off in those two weeks, was because it was during a stretch where we played such anemic passing offenses in Carolina (w/ Jake Delhomme at QB) and Buffalo (w/ Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB) that didn't have the ability to exploit that weakness.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3518056]Kerry Rhodes is not Darelle Revis, you are a Rhodes supporter but are panicking a bit in my opinion. I also think that in the Tannenbaum tradition he will pick up a safetey before the draft.

Was there a huge drop off when Smith started over Rhodes? Not really and Smith is a limited player. In any case this is why post season is so much fun.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with being a Rhodes supporter to appreciate Ven0m's point.

Rhodes was playing like a JAG. Thus, to replace him, the Jets need at least a JAG for the 2010 season.

If those 3rd to UDFA starting safeties didn't start their first season, then your argument takes a hit. In that instance, the Jets shouldn't be expecting a 2010 starter from the later rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3518092]It has nothing to do with being a Rhodes supporter to appreciate Ven0m's point.

Rhodes was playing like a JAG. Thus, to replace him, the Jets need at least a JAG for the 2010 season.

If those 3rd to UDFA starting safeties didn't start their first season, then your argument takes a hit. In that instance, the Jets shouldn't be expecting a 2010 starter from the later rounds.[/QUOTE]

Eric Smith is a jag. My point is not that we don't need to draft a safety. My point is that we don't have to wail that we need to draft one in the 1st round as has been intimated in other threads.

I also think that an enthusiastic, hungry rookie is not going to be a drop off the cliff difference than Rhodes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like

Just because Rhodes didn't start, doesn't mean he didn't play. In any type of passing situation, Rhodes was in, even when he wasn't starting. Rex used E. Smith in the proper role this year, and was effective. The guy is best served being used as a hybrid LB/SS. If he is our starter and is playing in every package, we are in a world of trouble. Ditto with Ihedigbo. Those guys are liabilities in coverage.

Not sure that we can find a guy in the draft that can adequately replace Rhodes from Day 1 unless we draft one of the higher rated safties. I guess that's fine if we do, but I was hoping to have those picks for other spots that we could improve upon. If we spend anything above a 4th rounder on a safety, that guy better turn out to be a legit player or else we lose on this trade.

As someone else mentioned on the main page, the best option for us would have been for Rhodes to get his ass in gear for next year and beyond - not have him traded.

Oh well....what's done is done, I guess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This whole panic over losing Rhodes reminds me of last year when the Jets let Baker go....Panic erupted on this board with people crying the Jets needed a blocking TE...Panic turned to hysteria when the Jets didn't pick a TE in the draft...

Jets went on to lead the league in rushing without Baker with a guy they picked up, Hartsock, a week before the season started.

Get off the ledge...The Jets will, one way or another, replace Rhodes. And I'm guessing, like the last years running game, the defense won't suffer.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3518159]

As someone else mentioned on the main page, the best option for us would have been for Rhodes to get his ass in gear for next year and beyond - not have him traded.

Oh well....what's done is done, I guess.[/QUOTE]

And how do we know he would get his ass in gear? Even after he was benched and supposidley played much better he still didn't look great to me.

In the end this all comes down to how each of us thought of Rhodes as a player. The people who thought he was still very good will be ticked off and think it is a bad move. The people who thought his play was severly eroded last year to the point of being a weakness on the team will not be that upset.

I think most of us agree we would have liked a better return in the trade but we just disagree on how much of an impact on not having Rhodes will be.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3517875]1st round: 6
    2nd round: 20
    3rd round: 5
    4th round: 5
    5th round: 4
    6th round: 6
    7th round: 3
    Undrafted: 14

No need to panic and think we have to use our 1st rounder on a safety.[/QUOTE]

a great passrisher will make the current safeties we have look terrific! Lowery, Smith and Ihedigbo. In our scheme safties are there to hit and intimidate. CBs are there for man to man coverage. We have two excellent CBs now.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Wallace Wright;3517906]The value with this years safety class is in the 2nd round. I'm gonna be preaching Morgan Burnetts name until draft day.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone know why Morgan Burnett didn't participate during the combine?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=I against I;3518313]Does anyone know why Morgan Burnett didn't participate during the combine?[/QUOTE]

Because it would only hurt him. He's put up big numbers in college with 18 INTs and 19 pass deflections, and he can probably live with 3 years of tape, interviews, and a Pro Day.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=I against I;3518313]Does anyone know why Morgan Burnett didn't participate during the combine?[/QUOTE]

Apparently he tweaked his hamstring.

Really doesn't matter to me though. I've seen him enough to know that I want him. Dude is a ballhawk, he can hit, and has good range.

Right now, I think we'll sit at 29 and go with someone like Odrick, then move up in the 2nd to grab Burnett or Allen. Obviously this could all change tomorrow, but I'm gonna be running the Burnett bandwagon until we get a Carrie replacement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]Apparently he tweaked his hamstring.
    [/QUOTE]

Alot of tweaked hamstrings during combine season this year for guys whose stocks can't be higher.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3518352]Alot of tweaked hamstrings during combine season this year for guys whose stocks can't be higher.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that as well ;) After the fourth time hearing it I was like :yes:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3518185]And how do we know he would get his ass in gear? Even after he was benched and supposidley played much better he still didn't look great to me.

In the end this all comes down to how each of us thought of Rhodes as a player. The people who thought he was still very good will be ticked off and think it is a bad move. The people who thought his play was severly eroded last year to the point of being a weakness on the team will not be that upset.

I think most of us agree we would have liked a better return in the trade but we just disagree on how much of an impact on not having Rhodes will be.[/QUOTE]

Agree with everything you say. At the end of the day, I thought more highly of Rhodes than the team did.