Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Out on a limb--I think we trade up to #10 and take Mays

Out on a limb--I think we trade up to #10 and take Mays

After rewatching Mays' 40 a few times,

[url]http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/03/04/nfl-tells-taylor-mays-they-botched-his-time/[/url]

and with the trade of Carrie, and with our boy Rex loving hitting and 110% guys, its got to be that Mays is big on the draft list.

You know how fearsome this kid is going to be in the NFL? You know those pics they show of the players before the game--some smiling, some looking like David Harris--well Mays doesn't have to act to look tough. He is ferocious by nature.

Now the trick is to figure out who we have to trade with to be able to get him at the lowest cost. The way I see it, if Seattle doesn't take Berry with the 6th, then we have to get ahead of Seattle at 14 to pretty much assure he is on the board.

I don't think Miami at 12 will cooperate, and it may be a longshot, but its possible, that SF might take Mays at 13 so we have to get ahead of Miami.

Given what's missing in Denver, I don't see them trading their pick.

But given that JAX just signed a couple FA's including DE Kampman, I think they're willing to give up number 10 at the right price. And this is the spot for us.

Question: what do we have to give up in addition to #29 to get the 10th pick? Whatever it is, I'm going out on a limb and predicting we move up to #10 and grab Mays.

Banned
    After the loss of Kerry Rhodes, I would love Mays... He may make some rookie mistakes, but he should turn into an elite talent under Rex Ryan for many of years to come.

Sign me up, I'm all for moving up in the draft for Mays

Trading from 29 to 10-14 is a long way to go... probably our 2nd and 4th and possibly more including a 6th or 7th. Can't see doing that. If he slips to the late teens and we really want him, you may see some action cause we would only have to give up our 2nd. However, that would be a long time to wait for our pick in the 4th.

1) we are not trading up to 10
    2) we arent trading p to 10 for Mays

[QUOTE=woodside;3518145]1) we are not trading up to 10
    2) we arent trading p to 10 for Mays[/QUOTE]

3. Mays isn't going in the top 10.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3518149]3. Mays isn't going in the top 10.[/QUOTE]

That's my point--we can get him at #10. If Seattle takes take Berry at 6, then maybe SF takes him at 13 and if not, then maybe he lasts through the high teens to early 20's.

But to ensure he is on the board without any other trades, we have to move up to 10 for the reasons stated in the OP.

Earl Thomas is the second best safety in the drat not mays. Many have thomas above berry...

[QUOTE=Chupa;3518164]Earl Thomas is the second best safety in the drat not mays. Many have thomas above berry...[/QUOTE]

But Mays ran a 4.2 40 so now everyone thinks he's the greatest.

[QUOTE=Chupa;3518164]Earl Thomas is the second best safety in the drat not mays. Many have thomas above berry...[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Mays is third Safety and two safeties dont go in the top 10. If Mays goes where the poster thinks he is going than its not worth reaching for him. There is just too much other talent to pass up.

You people need a clue

You don't need a name player at every position, it's not going to happen

The overvaluing of Rhodes by man Jet fans here is ridiculous

Rhodes became a name player because he put himself on TV, not because of his play

He was a good player with a lot of potential, he does have ability, but he doesn't love the sport, and regressed, then he had a run in with his coaches, that won't fly, and that is why he is gone

Don't be suprised if the Jets don't do anything until the 2nd round or 4th round of the draft to address the position, they very well could start Smith and Leonard at safety, and beef up depth. They could start these players anyway if they get a good prospect in the draft

This isn't Madden football, you can't expect the team to get a name player at every damn position.

The Cromartie pick-up could nullify what they do at safety.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3518149]3. Mays isn't going in the top 10.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I love Mays, but we won't have to move up that much.

If we're trading up for a safety, I think it'll be in the 20-22 range if either Mays or Thomas falls.

[QUOTE=C Mart;3518167]But Mays ran a 4.2 40 so now everyone thinks he's the greatest.[/QUOTE]

Yup

And I love it how Jet fans want us to trade up in the draft but have no clue how much it would cost to move up from #29 to say even 15 or 20, it would be costly.

It isn't going to happen.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3518178]Yup

And I love it how Jet fans want us to trade up in the draft but have no clue how much it would cost to move up from #29 to say even 15 or 20, it would be costly.

It isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE]

Agreed....it will cost a 2nd, 4th and maybe a 6th to move up 19 spots. Never mind the fact they would want to take Mays with that pick. No way is Mays even close to being worth that cost. Just not happening.

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;3518178]Yup

It isn't going to happen.[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with him running a 4.2 in the 40 and everything to do with him being an awesome athlete and an incredibly intense player.

Six months ago, he was top 5. I had not even a dream of getting him. Now, it's in the realm of possibility.

What was the cost of moving up to 14 to get Revis? Was it worth it? Seriously, what was the cost because I don't recall where we were originally and what we had to give up. And Revis wasn't necessarily the #1 corner in that draft--I know other guys recall who was but I can't. Revis was number 2 on most lists.

OK--you say it isn't going to happen--pray tell, what is going to happen? Then we can compare predictions--may the best man win.

Mays for all his athletic ability just didn't light it up last year. I think Mays = the gholston of Safeties or another Roy Williams. He is not a sure enough thing to trade up for.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3518167]But Mays ran a 4.2 40 so now everyone thinks he's the greatest.[/QUOTE]

Just like when DROB and Gholston came out with great numbers at the combine. Its what they do on the field during NFL games that counts.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=RexRutha;3518184]It has nothing to do with him running a 4.2 in the 40 and everything to do with him being an awesome athlete and an incredibly intense player.

Six months ago, he was top 5. I had not even a dream of getting him. Now, it's in the realm of possibility.

What was the cost of moving up to 14 to get Revis? Was it worth it? Seriously, what was the cost because I don't recall where we were originally and what we had to give up. And Revis wasn't necessarily the #1 corner in that draft--I know other guys recall who was but I can't. Revis was number 2 on most lists.

OK--you say it isn't going to happen--pray tell, what is going to happen? Then we can compare predictions--may the best man win.[/QUOTE]

Giving up half of your draft for the third best safety in the draft is crazy. I have no idea what the Jets will do at 29...but trading up to 10 and taking Mays will not be happening.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;3518189]Mays for all his athletic ability just didn't light it up last year. I think Mays = the gholston of Safeties or another Roy Williams. He is not a sure enough thing to trade up for.[/QUOTE]

Obviously, we'll know by October. But for now, Mays has none of the warning sign VG had, namely,

1. It was known he was a roider. Now, Cushing was too but he played well in the NFL so maybe that doesn't really matter.

2. VG had a rep for taking plays and even games off--did you even hear this about Mays? Of course not--he's the guy who would want to play every snap.

3. Mays has an NFL pedigree--this is meaningful--he knows whats expected and has learned since childhood--as a recent example, look at Matthews on GB--wasn't rated that high but now, everyone understands he's a stud.

In summary VG and Mays have nothing in common. If Mays sucks, its because he just doesn't have the skills--not because he's a steroid hero who couldn't care less after getting paid.

[QUOTE=RexRutha;3518184]It has nothing to do with him running a 4.2 in the 40 and everything to do with him being an awesome athlete and an incredibly intense player.

OK--you say it isn't going to happen--pray tell, what is going to happen? Then we can compare predictions--may the best man win.[/QUOTE]

I remember a few weeks ago how he was a second rounder to most people and all he did at the combine was prove what everyone already knew...the kid has great straight line speed. Why all of a sudden is he back in the top 10-15?
    Last edited by intothegreen; 03-07-2010 at 09:01 PM.