Thread: How much money is freed up by letting Rhodes go?

How much money is freed up by letting Rhodes go?

Wondering about the financial element in this deal. Does it free up significant $$$ to sign existiing, or new players? I know Rhodes signed a good sized financial deal a year or two ago.

Also did they Jets just say they were going to pay Rhodes the $2M, or did they actually do it?

[QUOTE=Long Suffering Jets Fan;3518169]Wondering about the financial element in this deal. Does it free up significant $$$ to sign existiing, or new players? I know Rhodes signed a good sized financial deal a year or two ago.

Also did they Jets just say they were going to pay Rhodes the $2M, or did they actually do it?[/QUOTE]

Good question but this move will definitely help us sign D'brick, Leon, Mangold and Harris. Out of all these guys that we NEED to keep, I'd rather have all these players than keep Kerry Rhodes and his hefty contract.

[QUOTE=Long Suffering Jets Fan;3518169]Wondering about the financial element in this deal. Does it free up significant $$$ to sign existiing, or new players? I know Rhodes signed a good sized financial deal a year or two ago.

Also did they Jets just say they were going to pay Rhodes the $2M, or did they actually do it?[/QUOTE]

ESPN mentioned long before the season had ended that cutting Kerry Rhodes would save them I believe 2 million. It also mentioned cutting Thomas Jones would free up about 4 million in cap space.

I could have the specific amounts applied to each player mixed up, but I do believe the total savings of cutting Jones and Rhodes freed up about 6 million...

Jets Insider VIP
    Bonus and salary is about $5 million.

That "save" number has to do with salary cap (which there isn't in 2010, of course).

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3518220]ESPN mentioned long before the season had ended that cutting Kerry Rhodes would save them I believe 2 million. It also mentioned cutting Thomas Jones would free up about 4 million in cap space.

I could have the specific amounts applied to each player mixed up, but I do believe the total savings of cutting Jones and Rhodes freed up about 6 million...[/QUOTE]

2 million is Rhodes' bonus...so we save that plus his base salary which is prob another 2 million.

Jets Insider VIP
    who cares.... I'm just thankful his soft behind has been tweeted away from the Jets forever

The Jets saved 4.78 million in cash by not keeping Rhodes. They saved 5.8 million in cash on Jones. Im guessing that money is going towards Sanchez who is due a check for just over 10 million this week. I know its only two moves and Jones was not worth the 5.8 million, but it looks like the Jets are looking to save some cash. Id imagine that the thoughts of extending guys may not be happening as quickly or easily as we had thought. Right now the Jets are clearly paying out less money than they have the last few years. The 2008 and 2009 payroll were both right around 120 million. Right now the Jets are on pace to spend about 107 million, assuming Sanchez' bonus does not affect his actual salary this year.

[QUOTE=Jason423;3518288]The Jets saved 4.78 million in cash by not keeping Rhodes. They saved 5.8 million in cash on Jones. Im guessing that money is going towards Sanchez who is due a check for just over 10 million this week. I know its only two moves and Jones was not worth the 5.8 million, but it looks like the Jets are looking to save some cash. Id imagine that the thoughts of extending guys may not be happening as quickly or easily as we had thought. Right now the Jets are clearly paying out less money than they have the last few years. The 2008 and 2009 payroll were both right around 120 million. Right now the Jets are on pace to spend about 107 million, assuming Sanchez' bonus does not affect his actual salary this year.[/QUOTE]

Jason - how much does it shift from the 2011 cap? (assuming $0 hit for either player)

[QUOTE=doggin94it;3518298]Jason - how much does it shift from the 2011 cap? (assuming $0 hit for either player)[/QUOTE]

Jones will cost zero in 2011 whether here or gone. Rhodes 2011 cap hit would have been in the ballpark of 5.5 million in cap charges. So if nothing carries over they did at least save a big chunk of cap space.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3518173]Good question but this move will definitely help us sign D'brick, Leon, Mangold and Harris. Out of all these guys that we NEED to keep, I'd rather have all these players than keep Kerry Rhodes and his hefty contract.[/QUOTE]

For sure, it'lbe interesting to see what Rex has up his sleeve to replace our (former) 24 hour tweeter

[QUOTE=Jason423;3518393]Jones will cost zero in 2011 whether here or gone. Rhodes 2011 cap hit would have been in the ballpark of 5.5 million in cap charges. So if nothing carries over they did at least save a big chunk of cap space.[/QUOTE]

Excellent, thanks.

Jets Insider VIP
    getting rid of sherry would have been a plus even if it cost the Jets cap room.

getting rid of sherry and getting two draft picks for it is frigging BRILLIANT