Thread: Best Off Season I could ask for....

Jets Insider VIP

Best Off Season I could ask for....

At the start of the offseason, there were some major question marks and needs for this team:

#2 CB
    Pass Rusher
    #3 WR
    #2 TE
    DL / OL Depth

Also, there were a few locker room issues. This is common for when any coach takes over a team. Some instances are more extreme (see Denver), but for the most part every rookie coach spends the 1st year figuring out who are 'his guys'.

Rhodes was never a Rex guy. They both like to talk, but Rex actually backs up what he says. Rhodes did not. I think when they brought in Leonhard, that was the end of Rhodes. Rex thought he could turn him into a Ed Reed type, but Kerry is not a great ballhawk, and Little ol' Leonhard hits 2x as hard as him. This had to turn off Rex to KR's game.

So now the off-season comes, and Rex can't stop thinking about how to get 30 minutes further.

Step 1: We sign a monster shutdown CB. Cromartie could easily be a teams #1 corner, but for us, he is basically a #2, who can mirror as a #1 when they need to disguise their coverage. This frees up Revis to move around, and blitz, plus, they can play press coverage and blitz 7 guys if they like without fear of getting picked apart by short passes.

Step 2: We get rid of Rhodes. I don't see how if Randy Moss, Boldin, and Cromartie all went for midround picks, how we got 'bad value' for a guy that doesn't fit our scheme. Rhodes will be a pretty good S in a zone defense i bet, but not in our D.

So what's the next few steps?

Step 3: Resign Mangold and Revis.

Step 4: Sign AT when he is released. This will at least give us another DL/pass rusher/ILB to play with. Think of all the depth issues AT covers for us.

Step 5: The draft....

Current Needs:

Pass Rusher
    S to battle for playing time
    Nickel Back
    #3 WR / #2 TE
    RB?
    DL / OL depth?
    ILB depth ?

DL / OL I understand our aging D-line, and our OL, but I think we have enough depth already. You don't draft a replacement for Ellis 5 years before he retires in mho. DeVito has earned Douglass's spot on the line, and Pouha is great for rotation with Jenks. Plus you have VG, Pitoitua, and even Green. My guess, is that one of those late round picks is spent on DL. You don't spend 1st round money on backups unless a STUD falls in your lap, esp if we plan to sign AT.

ILB Depth - again, either a late round pick, or AT will fill that void at times. Nothing you can't fill out in the summer if need be.

#3 WR / #2 TE - I think these needs are actually related. IF we get a typical slot WR in the 2 or 4th rounds, then we have some WR depth. However, if we pick up a stud #2 TE that can block and catch, then Keller can slide to our slot position in those formations as well. One of these will be addressed in the draft at some point. I am not talking about a late round TE either. I'm talking one in the 1st 4 rounds if we don't draft a slot guy.

Nickel Back - Do you draft a NB? Could be. However, I don't think we do so in the 1st 2 rounds anymore. Simply b/c if Cromartie and Revis work out, we won't have $ for anything more than a career NB back there, kind of like a Mickens-type. Maybe a 4th rounder?

Safety - Here is where I think the Jets could draft someone in the 1st 2 rounds. They don't have any money tied up in that position that is unreasonable, they have a possible opening for a starter, and they are looking for a big hitter type to compliment Leonhard. I think we will see one of the 1st 2 rounds the Jets call a S to the podium.

RB - Hmmm. Shonn Greene is young, yet unproven. Leon is coming off an injury and needs a new contract. TJ is gone. I don't see us using the early rounds on a RB, unless a monster falls in our lap. However, i would have told you the same thing last year. :) Don;t be surprised if we pick up a FB in the late rounds either.

All in all, I think the Jets go BPA in the first two rounds with an eye on S help. I think in the late rounds, they pick up RB, DL, TE and LB depth. We sign a few

Practice Squad
    Good Post.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    I'll take the monster....

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;3517823]I'll take the monster....[/QUOTE]

Any particular monster you are referring to? I don't see a 'monster' back this year. Am I missing someone?

All League
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3517905]Any particular monster you are referring to? I don't see a 'monster' back this year. Am I missing someone?[/QUOTE]

Blount

Hall Of Fame
    Letting go of Kerry makes me think that the Jets have a S targeted pretty high, they may be thinking Earl Thomas @ 29.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;3517911]Letting go of Kerry makes me think that the Jets have a S targeted pretty high, they may be thinking Earl Thomas @ 29.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you. I think someone is on their minds, and I don't think it is Taylor Mays.

Would you be willing to trade up to get Thomas?

Trade up and get Berry.

Banned
    I think Rex is targeting Mays, he's the violent type of guy Rhodes wasn't. Now don't get me wrong the guy is raw and doesn't seem to know what he's doing out there from time to time. But if he fell to 29 I think he's the guy Rex wants. Not entirely rational :rolleyes: But don't count it out because he's not conventional logic on this board.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3517945]I think Rex is targeting Mays, he's the violent type of guy Rhodes wasn't. Now don't get me wrong the guy is raw and doesn't seem to know what he's doing out there from time to time. But if he fell to 29 I think he's the guy Rex wants. Not entirely rational :rolleyes: But don't count it out because he's not conventional logic on this board.[/QUOTE]

I agree with that, but when have the Jets in recent history sat and waited for a guy they want?

Banned
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3517949]I agree with that, but when have the Jets in recent history sat and waited for a guy they want?[/QUOTE]

That's true, I think they'll trade up in at least one of the first two round. Depends on whether they're comfortable with Nate Allen in the second, in which case they could be surprised if Mays falls to them and pick him up. No way to predict it I guess but if they followed your suggestions we'd be on the right course.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3517954]That's true, I think they'll trade up in at least one of the first two round. Depends on whether they're comfortable with Nate Allen in the second, in which case they could be surprised if Mays falls to them and pick him up. No way to predict it I guess but if they followed your suggestions we'd be on the right course.[/QUOTE]

What do you think about Morgan Burnett and Rashead Jones? Both can play either S position, and are pretty good, plus we can wait til the 2nd round.

Banned
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3517964]What do you think about Morgan Burnett and Rashead Jones? Both can play either S position, and are pretty good, plus we can wait til the 2nd round.[/QUOTE]

I prefer Jones out of the two of them, but that's just from what I've read haven't gotten a chance to watch either. Personally I hope we don't have to go safety in the first round, I'd much rather see the pick go towards beefing up the Dline or adding a playmaker to the offense. Because of all the available Safeties I think we can wait until the second to address it, especially if we've decided on one of those three guys (Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, and Rashead Jones) as players we want to replace Rhodes with. That said I'd prefer a young veteran like Bethea, Michael Huff, Dawan Landry, maybe even Gibril Wilson (although everyone dislikes him). This just show we have a lot of possibilities available and Tanny will be able to investigate each one to decide whats in the best interest of the team right now. I'm not intelligent enough in football matters to ascertain which players fit Rex's scheme but I'm sure that will be an important point in the selection. We're not bringing in a new Rhodes, thats for sure.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3517974]I prefer Jones out of the two of them, but that's just from what I've read haven't gotten a chance to watch either. Personally I hope we don't have to go safety in the first round, I'd much rather see the pick go towards beefing up the Dline or adding a playmaker to the offense. Because of all the available Safeties I think we can wait until the second to address it, especially if we've decided on one of those three guys (Nate Allen, Morgan Burnett, and Rashead Jones) as players we want to replace Rhodes with. That said I'd prefer a young veteran like Bethea, Michael Huff, Dawan Landry, maybe even Gibril Wilson (although everyone dislikes him). This just show we have a lot of possibilities available and Tanny will be able to investigate each one to decide whats in the best interest of the team right now. I'm not intelligent enough in football matters to ascertain which players fit Rex's scheme but I'm sure that will be an important point in the selection. We're not bringing in a new Rhodes, thats for sure.[/QUOTE]

well put. I think Jones/Burnett fit the mold for Rex in this draft, but that is just my opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3517930]I'm with you. I think someone is on their minds, and I don't think it is Taylor Mays.

Would you be willing to trade up to get Thomas?[/QUOTE]

As long as it's not too far (I wouldn't want to trade up so far we'd have to use our 2nd) but yes, for a 4th or 5th, sure.

I'm not so sure Rex needs a big hitter back there, he's got Leonhard. he needs a guy who can make a play on the ball.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU[/url]

1st round pick for a safety? maybe but at 29 he better be a polumalu clone. i think the first round pick needs to go dline, preferably tackle or pass rusher. but there again they can the bpa instead of targeting a position.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=freestater;3518244]As long as it's not too far (I wouldn't want to trade up so far we'd have to use our 2nd) but yes, for a 4th or 5th, sure.

I'm not so sure Rex needs a big hitter back there, he's got Leonhard. he needs a guy who can make a play on the ball.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK_tq6nqCPU[/url][/QUOTE]

Oh, i am a big ET fan, I just wonder if we are better waiting, or doing as we normally do, and going after a player at the expense of a mid round pick.