Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston, the beast?

Rookie

Gholston, the beast?

I truely believe the add. of Cro at corner will help turn this young mans career around. Thinking back on the season to how many near misses he had at getting a sack, makes me believe the extra half sec. or so he and the rest of the front seven will get with Cro covering the #2 WR.
    At this point, he is a bust. But Rex said maybe all he needs is more playing time. Who knows, maybe the extra split sec. is all he needs.
    Or am I just dreaming and full of sh*t?

Gonna take more than one corner to help out 50, can't wait till this POS is someone elses problem..

He'll be fine next year, but with Rhodes gone he's the Jet with the most to prove.

I watched the first couple games last week Gholston didn't play as bad as everyone makes it out to be he had some good pressure and held up his gap and shed the blocks pretty good also showed more then just a bull rush i'm willing to give him another year to improve and show something . For whatever reason when Pace came back Gholston didn't get any chances to play

All League
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;3518403]I truely believe the add. of Cro at corner will help turn this young mans career around. Thinking back on the season to how many near misses he had at getting a sack, makes me believe the extra half sec. or so he and the rest of the front seven will get with Cro covering the #2 WR.
    At this point, he is a bust. But Rex said maybe all he needs is more playing time. Who knows, maybe the extra split sec. is all he needs.
    Or am I just dreaming and full of sh*t?[/QUOTE]
    he is still a jet, so we are still hoping for the best..

but it flat out looks like this dog does not hunt.. :shakehead

[QUOTE=jetgreen13;3518409]he is still a jet, so we are still hoping for the best..

but it flat out looks like this dog does not hunt.. :shakehead[/QUOTE]

doesnt the dog have to get out of the truck first???

All League
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3518411]doesnt the dog have to get out of the truck first???[/QUOTE]LOL!!

i guess, but if the dog doesn't bite what's the point??

Rookie
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3518406]Gonna take more than one corner to help out 50, can't wait till this POS is someone elses problem..[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't one corner help him? If you think as I do that Cro helps the rest of the D get to the QB then why not Gholston? Cant have it both ways.
    I also think our sack #s will be at or near the top with the add. of one corner.

All League
    STOP......LOLOLOLOLOL.......PLEASE STOP........LOLOLOLOLOOL

I'm not at all optimistic, but we'll see what happens. He's still a Jet, so gotta keep pulling for him.

Somebody get the guy some angry steroids

Gholston is stiff as a board and needs Yoga classes and an oil change! Def Tanny's worst move but hey no one is perfect.

A complete waste who looks like a pro but doesn't have the desire or work ethic to be any good! I hope I'm proven wrong!!!!

All League
    Charter JI Member

The only thing that is going to help Ghloston is Ghloston.

He lacks desire, motivation and the will to make himself a good player.

Without that he'll always be a freak athlete but a dog of a football player.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=IndianaJet;3518489]The only thing that is going to help Ghloston is Ghloston.

He lacks desire, motivation and the will to make himself a good player.

Without that he'll always be a freak athlete but a dog of a football player.[/QUOTE]

That's not what any of his coaches have ever said about him. Hey, you want to rag on the man for his lack of results, that's one thing. But assuming those lack of results are directly attributed to his lack of effort is mind boggling, when every coach he ever had, as well as Tanny, said he certainly puts in the work and appears to love football.

I think it is just a matter of him finding his way, something that took a couple of years at OS. I too, can not understand why everyone rags on VG.

For those VG haters, do me this favor. Instead of telling me what he has not done, show me a play where someone can say, wow, that guy sucks. Cause I have yet to see that when he is on the field. All I keep hearing is he has no sacks. Ok, but he did have pressures, a few tackles, and I can't remember one specific play EVER, where I said to myself, '****, VG sucks.'

What i do recall saying to myself is, wow, this guy has not been worth the high draft pick we gave him, and how come he does not get more opportunities?

I mean, the guy started for 4 games, we were 4-0, and i believe we were leading the league in defense, or near the top. Please tell me how that means he sucks?
    Last edited by One Eye; 03-08-2010 at 07:50 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Seriously now. Opposing QB's had all day and all night to throw the ball against our defense unless we were sending the kitchen sink which we had to do often.

So no, all day and all night plus an extra half a second is not going to make a difference.

Gholston had had all of two seasons plus two preseasons with extra playing time against opposing scrubs to get himself a sack.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=EM31;3518497]Seriously now. Opposing QB's had all day and all night to throw the ball against our defense unless we were sending the kitchen sink which we had to do often.

So no, all day and all night plus an extra half a second is not going to make a difference.

Gholston had had all of two seasons plus two preseasons with extra playing time against opposing scrubs to get himself a sack.[/QUOTE]

FYI....Gholston had a sack last preseason, and they don't exactly rush crazy blitz packages in the pre season either. It's pretty much vanilla vs vanilla.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3518492]That's not what any of his coaches have ever said about him. Hey, you want to rag on the man for his lack of results, that's one thing. But assuming those lack of results are directly attributed to his lack of effort is mind boggling, when every coach he ever had, as well as Tanny, said he certainly puts in the work and appears to love football.

I think it is just a matter of him finding his way, something that took a couple of years at OS. I too, can not understand why everyone rags on VG.

For those VG haters, do me this favor. Instead of telling me what he has not done, show me a play where someone can say, wow, that guy sucks. Cause I have yet to see that when he is on the field. All I keep hearing is he has no sacks. Ok, but he did have pressures, a few tackles, and I can't remember one specific play EVER, where I said to myself, '****, VG sucks.'

What i do recall saying to myself is, wow, this guy has not been worth the high draft pick we gave him, and how come he does not get more opportunities?

I mean, the guy started for 4 games, we were 4-0, and i believe we were leading the league in defense, or near the top. Please tell me how that means he sucks?[/QUOTE]

The defense was number one in the league for the entire season. Just because you get a piece of dogsh1t on a nice pair of shoes from time to time and during the first four games does not mean that the dogsh1t is REQUIRED in order to make them a nice pair of shoes. It means that are a nice pair of shoes despite Vernon Gholston.

When he was in the game opposing teams ran on him. Not only could he not get to the QB but he was also a defensive liability.

There are plenty of grocery baggers who try hard in training camp every year and get cut. Don't feel sorry for Gholston. By the time all is said and done he will have between $30 - $50 million dollars of the Jets monay and will have given no work product on the field to show for it. Feel sorry for the Jets. Think of the other things we could have done with $50 million dollars. Like pay for a whole second contract for David Harris as just one example.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3518502]FYI....Gholston had a sack last preseason, and they don't exactly rush crazy blitz packages in the pre season either. It's pretty much vanilla vs vanilla.[/QUOTE]
    Sacks appear in stats lines. If the play was nullified then it was not a sack, except if you live in horseshoes, hand grenades and woulda-shoulda-coulda land.

Yes preseason is vanilla vs. vanilla I agree. I was referring to the fact that he was often left in against the other team's 4th stringers in garbage time, perhaps to build his confidence and he still could not beat his man.

Can we please refer to him by his NY Jet name?

Vernon "I made $10,260,000 in salary and recorded 30 tackles and no sacks in my 3 years with the JETS" Gholston.

He IS a huge bust. I really wish he wasn't, but facts speak for themselves.

[QUOTE=jetsonly;3518403]I truely believe the add. of Cro at corner will help turn this young mans career around. Thinking back on the season to how many near misses he had at getting a sack, makes me believe the extra half sec. or so he and the rest of the front seven will get with Cro covering the #2 WR.
    Or am I just dreaming and full of sh*t?[/QUOTE]

Except you have it backwards. It's the pass rusher's job to get to the QB so the corner doesn't have to cover his man forever. We never had elite corners when John Abraham was here, and somehow he got to the QB. Besides, Gholston has been far more than a "half sec" slow.

I backed the Gholston pick at the time, but he has been nothing short of abysmal. No heart, no speed, no chance. Time to cut the loss.