Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gholston, the beast?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think feely has made more tackles than him

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i was reading an article last night where rex said this is the make or break year for gholston. HE will get more playing time on nickel packages and so on. Rex saidthat on the 3rd year that is when they start making plays, some just take long then others

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3518411]doesnt the dog have to get out of the truck first???[/QUOTE]

Good point.I understand why everyone is so down on Gholston,but the guy I think should be getting the real heat is Bryan Thomas.Talk about a guy that does nothing.If Gholston got the playing time that Thomas gets,Id bet he'd finally show something.At least he can play the run.I think the Jets got rid of the wrong "Thomas".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetgreen13;3518414]LOL!!

i guess, but if the dog doesn't bite what's the point??[/QUOTE]

What's that toothless dog gonna do? Gum QB's to the ground? :rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;3518544]I think feely has made more tackles than him[/QUOTE]

Ya know, he just might :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3518559]What's that toothless dog gonna do? Gum QB's to the ground? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    ok that gave me a good laugh!!

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Toooon;3518531]Except you have it backwards. It's the pass rusher's job to get to the QB so the corner doesn't have to cover his man forever. We never had elite corners when John Abraham was here, and somehow he got to the QB. Besides, Gholston has been far more than a "half sec" slow.

I backed the Gholston pick at the time, but he has been nothing short of abysmal. No heart, no speed, no chance. Time to cut the loss.[/QUOTE]

I get your point, but I don't think I'm backwards. If the QB has nowhere to throw the ball because of great coverage, he runs for his life or gets sacked.
    Your right, ABE was a beast. If it were that easy to draft a pass rusher like him, every team would have one. Once every few year talent. Thats why the draft is so dicey.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JET Setting from Scranton;3518516]Can we please refer to him by his NY Jet name?

Vernon "I made $10,260,000 in salary and recorded 30 tackles and no sacks in my 3 years with the JETS" Gholston.

He IS a huge bust. I really wish he wasn't, but facts speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]

He hasn't even been in the league 3 years nub.

Can't wait for Rex to actually play him...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JET Setting from Scranton;3518516]Can we please refer to him by his NY Jet name?

Vernon "I made $10,260,000 in salary and recorded 30 tackles and no sacks in my 3 years with the JETS" Gholston.

He IS a huge bust. I really wish he wasn't, but facts speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]

So, if it's because of the money he's a bust, I agree. Huge bust. But go back and look at the money being paid to the entire front 7 starters, then compair the saleries to the sack totals. Now, how many other "BUSTS" do we have?:rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    His 3rd year so it's put up or shut up time. Honestly, If all he ever becomes is a pass rushing threat on obvious passing situations, i'd sign up for it at this point. Incredibly overpaid, but at least not a complete bust.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;3518631] If it were that easy to draft a pass rusher like him, every team would have one. Once every few year talent. Thats why the draft is so dicey.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, and that is why you need to draft a bunch of these guys in hopes that some pan out. Look at the giants. They've drafted pass rushers by the boatload, and now they have multiple elite rushers. We draft one guy every few years so we have no backup plan if/when he busts.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not done with Gholston yet and neither is any team in the NFL if he were released today.

He's the exact reason there should be a rookie salary cap. Anyone who thought this kid was going to come in, learn a new position, the most difficult to learn in two years and two coaches was fooling themselves.

He showed he's learning in 2009, despite what the great football minds here think.

He needs to show much improved progress through 2010 and should be a player in 2011.

I'd be surprised if Gholston never reached Calvin Pace's level of play. Which isn't HOF worthy but certainly starter worthy.
    Last edited by Revi$_I$l@nd; 03-08-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Toooon;3518810]Agreed, and that is why you need to draft a bunch of these guys in hopes that some pan out. Look at the giants. They've drafted pass rushers by the boatload, and now they have multiple elite rushers. We draft one guy every few years so we have no backup plan if/when he busts.[/QUOTE]

Great point. Totaly agree:yes:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3518641]He hasn't even been in the league 3 years nub.

Can't wait for Rex to actually play him...[/QUOTE]

My bad, drafted in 2008. Thanks for the nub (noob) comment.

[QUOTE=jetsonly;3518645]So, if it's because of the money he's a bust, I agree. Huge bust. But go back and look at the money being paid to the entire front 7 starters, then compair the saleries to the sack totals. Now, how many other "BUSTS" do we have?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I would be really interested to see those numbers. Oh and at least six of his recorded 30 tackles came on special teams.

I like many of you would love to see this "beast" perform to the hype, paycheck, and first round draft status. It would be great to see Rex turn this player around. I just don't see it happening.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Without finger pointing - Tanny kinda mentioned VG was Mangini's pick.
    Even though he knows he is partially responsible for the pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's how I see the whole VG situation. It's not unlike how I saw the D Rob situation, I just hope it has a happier ending ... :O
    [LIST][*]We aren't going to ever get the draft pick back. So saying it was a wasted pick etc is pointless, other than to wallow in self-pity and play the "woulda coulda shoulda" game (which a lot of fans seem to love, for some reason)[*]VG did NOT decide where to get drafted. The NY JETS decided that. To claim that VG should be X, Y or Z because of where he was picked is again pointless, especially where the blame gets placed at VG's door. If anyone is to get blamed for his under-performance against those expectations - then it is the NY JETS[*]Same with money - just because you pay a guy more, doesn't make him better. If I pay $80,000 for a $40,000 car, it won't make it any faster / better / efficient[*]So having said all that, most of the money and the draft pick are in the past. What we have now is a guy taking up a roster spot. He's no better at this point in time than any other guy who's played special teams here and there and a bit of spot duty on defense. Let's use Westerman as a comparison - same position, similar stats in 2009, plus both have a bit of that wonderful thing that we all cling to - "potential"[*]Either of these guys - VG or Westerman - have the potential to have a bigger role in 2010. This is the part that the player in question has, in my opinion, all the responsibility. And that responsibility is to realise at least some of his potential. Study harder, work out harder, play harder in practice, do what it takes to improve on what you are now. Becaise what you are now is a borderline roster player, who can get kicked to the curb when someone better comes along. If VG realises some of his potential, he will be a BETTER PLAYER and bring BETTER PRODUCTION to this Jet team. So will Westerman, if he does his bit. And I don't think anyone here would be upset if either / both of these guys did just that. Don't try to be great - just try to do your job and let the rest of the world decide on greatness[*]OK, by now people reading this are saying "but you can't rule out the money side of things with VG, because he earns too damned much". Well that's where the uncapped year comes in. Only thing VG gets paid this year is his base salary - the bonus is in the past, and doesn't affect the cap this year. If we cut him now, we save his salary. In an uncapped year, who cares? It's not stopping us doing other things. We keep him this year and see what he does - see if he realises some of his potential and becomes a player. If not - cut him at the end of the year, at least he got the chance and you can then say he didn't realise his potential. But if he does improve, and does make some plays, then you got something that you didn't have before - a football player. Maybe not a great one, but a better one than you had before. And based on this you can set his true value and renegotiate his deal. If he doesn't accept - cut him anyway. Any way this turns out, we don't lose much more than what we already lost, but we gain the chance at finally getting a football player out of him[/LIST]Personally, I still don't hold out much hope for him. But at least we can be sure he's not a malcontent or troublemaker - he'd be out the door if he was, traded for whatever we could get. If we'd trade a starter for a 4th, we'd take a 6th or 7th for VG if he was "not a Rex guy". I still really hope he becomes something - like I say, I don't expect greatness any more, but if he even becomes OK, that'll be leaps and bounds ahead of where we are now. And that will make the 2010 JETS better - isn't that what we all want?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3518492]That's not what any of his coaches have ever said about him. Hey, you want to rag on the man for his lack of results, that's one thing. But assuming those lack of results are directly attributed to his lack of effort is mind boggling, when every coach he ever had, as well as Tanny, said he certainly puts in the work and appears to love football.

I think it is just a matter of him finding his way, something that took a couple of years at OS. I too, can not understand why everyone rags on VG.

For those VG haters, do me this favor. Instead of telling me what he has not done, show me a play where someone can say, wow, that guy sucks. Cause I have yet to see that when he is on the field. All I keep hearing is he has no sacks. Ok, but he did have pressures, a few tackles, and I can't remember one specific play EVER, where I said to myself, '****, VG sucks.'

What i do recall saying to myself is, wow, this guy has not been worth the high draft pick we gave him, and how come he does not get more opportunities?

I mean, the guy started for 4 games, we were 4-0, and i believe we were leading the league in defense, or near the top. Please tell me how that means he sucks?[/QUOTE]

You have gotta be kidding. His coaches may not say he doesn't love football, but his teammates have. This questioning of Vernon's commitment didn't come out of nowhere. Leading up to the draft they talked about how he takes plays off. Teammates have questioned how important football is to him.

As for your request to show you a play that prooves he sucks, that isn't how it works. You know he sucks based on the fact that he adds nothing when he is on the field. He doesn't make tackles, he has never gotten a sack in a real game, causes no turnovers, he just takes up space. I hope he turns it around too but to act as if Jets fans are wrong to dump on the guy is an insane position to take.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex wants guys who play with fire and passion. gholston is a quiet guy who plays a violent position. rex isn't about to put a quiet guy on the field and ask him to rush the passer, just like he doesn't want to keep a safety who doesn't tackle and won't shut up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Cro can influence Gholston off the field it may help him. Nothing like child support to give him the incentive he needs to start playing for his next contract.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Revi$_I$l@nd;3518837]I'm not done with Gholston yet and neither is any team in the NFL if he were released today.

He's the exact reason there should be a rookie salary cap. Anyone who thought this kid was going to come in, learn a new position, the most difficult to learn in two years and two coaches was fooling themselves.

He showed he's learning in 2009, despite what the great football minds here think.

He needs to show [B]much improved progress through 2010 and should be a player in 2011[/B].

I'd be surprised if Gholston never reached Calvin Pace's level of play. Which isn't HOF worthy but certainly starter worthy.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. good points man. I'm willing to give V-Ghol one more year just like the Jets are and I trust Rex's judgement on this.