Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gholston, the beast?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3519001]If Cro can influence Gholston off the field it may help him. Nothing like child support to give him the incentive he needs to start playing for his next contract.[/QUOTE]

Best line of the day... yes, there's hope for Vernie to be a bad boy yet! :D

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3519001]If Cro can influence Gholston off the field it may help him. Nothing like child support to give him the incentive he needs to start playing for his next contract.[/QUOTE]

HA HA HA - sad, but pretty much true. I've said to friends separately that the only way Gholston will ever become a player is if something happens in his personal life to change his mental makeup. I would never wish negativity on anyone, but it seems like only something that turns him into an angry person off the field can have enough of an impact to make him an edgy football player (which seems to be what he needs).

All that said, can you imagine if Gholston is a dog this year, but then turns it on in year four and racks up 13+ sacks? Someone would then have to pay him monster dollars again after he was the epitome of bust for three full seasons. Guess that's the way it works.

Why does he have to be a "bad boy" to be a good player? DeMarcus Ware's one of the nicest guys in the league...same for Willis McGahee when he was playing...What he needs is a kick in the ass and playing time.

[QUOTE=SenorGato;3519187]Why does he have to be a "bad boy" to be a good player? DeMarcus Ware's one of the nicest guys in the league...same for Willis McGahee when he was playing...What he needs is a kick in the ass and playing time.[/QUOTE]

It's not so much that he has to be a bad boy, it's that his current persona doesn't seem to lend itself to maximizing his potential as an NFL player. Sure, Ware came into the league as a nice guy...he also started punishing opposing QBs on day one. Same with McGahee - he might be a good guy to have a beer with, but try being an undersized safety when he gets some steam (at least when he was in his prime). David Harris seems to be mild-mannered off the field, for a guy who delivers concussions on it.

All of this talk is just speculation anyway - there's nothing in stone that says Gholston can't turn it around. But when you see a guy who has all the ability but never quite gets there, you have to think that added aggression would make up for that half-step. What gives a person added aggression? I don't know, I'm asking, but clearly it hasn't been reps of practice for Gholston thus far as we've only seen mild improvement. If a kick in the ass can do it, I would hope that Rex is shopping for Timberlands as we speak. Steel-toes preferably.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3518458]Somebody get the guy some angry steroids[/QUOTE]

ROFL! I thought he looked pretty good the first 4 games of the season and like someone else said once Pace came back Gholston wasn't given an opportunity to play. I'd like to see him progress and become a factor; as long as he's in Green and White I have to pull for him.

That should read Willie McGinest. I didn't even notice.

For fun: Let Gholston get actual significant snaps for a season and lets see how many sacks he gets. Basing his performance on his most embarrassing moments during his age 22/23 seasons and 4 games early doesn't really make much sense for a player with his upside.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3519226]ROFL! I thought he looked pretty good the first 4 games of the season and like someone else said once Pace came back Gholston wasn't given an opportunity to play. I'd like to see him progress and become a factor; as long as he's in Green and White I have to pull for him.[/QUOTE]
    He was invisible for the first four games of the year. Just like he has been for his entire sorry professional career.

[QUOTE=EM31;3519455]He was invisible for the first four games of the year. Just like he has been for his entire sorry professional career.[/QUOTE]

Yea, his play was killing us out there. :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3519457]Yea, his play was killing us out there. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    From the bench his contribution was better that is true. Lucky we did not need the depth too many times but our specials at the end of the year were suffering because Gholston was occupying a roster spot. Coverage on kicks would have been stronger if we had his roster spot to be able to use on an actual player :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Gholston was awesome the one play I saw him hurry a rb to the sideline...he's a total beast!!!!!

Hell, even Bryan Thomas made plays his rookie year...Gholston is a total bust..oh well it happens a lot..If he was any good he would have had at least sniffed the field..there are a ton of great college players who never pan out...so be it..but any Jets Homer who thinks Gholston is going to somehow turm it on is clearly sniffing glue.

What good ever comes out of these Gholston threads? Every time it's 99% of the posters calling him a bust, and 1% saying we should give him one more year, maybe he can turn it around.

We get it, the guy has been a bust so far. Do I think he can turn it around? Not really. Am I still going to root for him in hopes that he does turn it around? Without a doubt.

For all the heat this guy takes, I don't think there is one Jet fan out there that would deny the impact this kid would make if he does find his game. He is a freak athlete and plays the position we most desperately need a playmaker at on defense. Obviously it's a pretty big long shot right now, but regardless of what most people on here might think, the kid still COULD become a player in this league.

Obvious statement: This is Gholston's make-or-break year.

Side-note: IMO it's hard to blame Tanny on this one. A) He has drafted so well over the years, I can't really fault him for missing on a pick here and there, and B) Not picking Gholston would have made little sense. A pass-rushing OLB was at or near the top of the list as far as team needs went, and Gholston was BAP at the 6 slot according to most draft experts. I suppose there is always the option of trading down, but again, Tanny probably would have faced a little bit of heat had he not taken VG.
    Last edited by bonkertons; 03-08-2010 at 11:23 PM.

[QUOTE=bonkertons;3519486]What good ever comes out of these Gholston threads? Every time it's 99% of the posters calling him a bust, and 1% saying we should give him one more year, maybe he can turn it around.

We get it, the guy has been a bust so far. Do I think he can turn it around? Not really. Am I still going to root for him in hopes that he does turn it around? Without a doubt.

For all the heat this guy takes, I don't think there is one Jet fan out there that would deny the impact this kid would make if he does find his game. He is a freak athlete and plays the position we most desperately need a playmaker at on defense. Obviously it's a pretty big long shot right now, but regardless of what most people on here might think, the kid still COULD become a player in this league.

Obvious statement: This is Gholston's make-or-break year.[/QUOTE]

So b/c he's a freakish athlete means he can play football? If he was drafted by another team you would be calling him a bust...The guy has shown ZILCH..Not one iota of having football skills..not one snap where he even had a nose for the ball. the guy SUCKS!

[QUOTE=jetsonly;3518403]Thinking back on the season to how many near misses he had at getting a sack[/QUOTE]

Have you been following him around the grocery store?

Rookie
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3519511]Have you been following him around the grocery store?[/QUOTE]

Good one, bro. At least you didn't say I was following around his other sack.:O

Hall Of Fame
    stop it with this guy. just stop it. he's doa until proven otherwise.

I dont know whether to laugh or cry

I mean I just don't get it.....

That run after carr was horrible and the guy ends up on his face.

[IMG]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6f4rLJ-ipw[/IMG]

[QUOTE=jetsonly;3518416]Why wouldn't one corner help him? If you think as I do that Cro helps the rest of the D get to the QB then why not Gholston? Cant have it both ways.
    I also think our sack #s will be at or near the top with the add. of one corner.[/QUOTE]The Jets were granted a defensive genius last year,and he could still not coach the Ghost to a sack.Everyone else on the defense vastly improved yet the pure talent of the ghost left a void. He might get his first NFL sack this year but the man has done nothing to suggest he will get 2 sacks

I think this is wishful thinking. He hasn't shown much in terms of being able to generate a pass rush. He's a good kid, I hope he surprises, but expectations are very low, and in all probability, he won't become the player we want him to.

Everyone is taking about drafting a 3-4 DE. Why not give VG a shot at it? It is his natural position. he doesn't have the fluid hips to cover anyone.

Is he undersized? Sure, but what he lacks in size he makes up for in strength. The man is a freak... a beast. he can take on OLinemen and win. He can set the edge and rush the passer.

Wouldn't it be great to have Pace over Gholston, next to KJ and Big Cat?