Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Revis gets props from Football Outsiders

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Revis gets props from Football Outsiders

[URL]http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings/2010/2009-football-outsiders-awards-winners[/URL]

Who is your choice as Defensive MVP for 2009? [I](Last year's winner: Ed Reed)[/I]

[LEFT][B]66.4% Darrelle Revis[/B]
    9.4% Charles Woodson
    6.7% Jared Allen
    5.9% Patrick Willis
    5.4% Darren Sharper
    2.6% DeMarcus Ware
    2.3% Elvis Dumervil
    1.4% Brian Cushing [/LEFT]

OK, here are the winners of the Defensive MVP award with their percentage of the vote, each year since we began doing this in 2003 (technically, in January 2004):
    [LIST][*]2003: Ray Lewis, 41.7%[*]2004: Ed Reed, 32.7%[*]2005: Troy Polamalu, 34.5%[*]2006: Jason Taylor, 30.0%[*]2007: Albert Haynesworth, 41.6%[*]2008: Ed Reed, 27.8%[*][B]2009: Darrelle Revis, 66.4%[/B][/LIST]Does any number jump out at you there? We had never seen one candidate get over half the vote, and then Revis wins the award with two-thirds of reader votes. And yet the actual NFL writers who vote on the official Defensive Player of the Year award gave the majority of their votes to Charles Woodson. What, because he had a couple more turnovers than Revis? The guy shut down everyone he played this year (except, [I]maybe[/I], Reggie Wayne in the first half of Week 16). [B]I'm not sure what the guy had to do to actually win Defensive Player of the Year, maybe kill Randy Moss with his bare hands on national television while simultaneously picking off a Tom Brady pass using only his teeth.[/B]
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 03-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed it was a farce. It also goes to show that writers are not as a knowledgeable lot as they think. Half these writers know about the team they cover and nothing else.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that Revis should easily have been the DPOY, but the landslide in voting is partially in part to the PR campaign that went on for Revis, led by Ryan. Because there was such an outcry about Woodson with Revis proceeding to have great Wildcard and Divisional Games, he became the cause celeb.

Nothing wrong with that really - he deserved the award through and through, but its not like Woodson was a fraud - he had an unbelievable season. Its totally legit that the DPOY should be a close vote, it just should have gone to Revis.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Revis was on a team like the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts, Giants, etc., he'd get the award.

The Jets are just "that team" that rents a stadium and plays second fiddle to the Giants. Any merit the Jets earn is "surprising" as in "Surprisingly, the JETS made it deep into the playoffs!" The same roster on the Cowboys would be described as "the Cowboys are a lock for _____" (fill in the achievement here).

Factor in, as well, that probable voters are people like Peter King and Mike Francessa who are anti-Jets and who have had their weekend picks ruined by the Jets.

Not Revis' fault.

Go ahead, call me a complainer, but I think many of you are in agreement. The Jets have always been that red-headed stepchild. Its an angle that works well going into big games but doesn't work well for players trying to win awards or go to the ProBowl; the latter of which is simply a "big name from a big team" contest.
    Last edited by GreenJoe; 03-08-2010 at 01:45 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This will just fuel Revis to go out and have another fantastic season! Hopefully he gets the award next season.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenJoe;3518894]
    Factor in, as well, that probable voters are people like Peter King and Mike Francessa who are anti-Jets and who have had their weekend picks ruined by the Jets.
    [/QUOTE]

Peter King isnt anti-jets. I actually think hes a jets fan. He was talking about Revis and Harris and the rex ryan jets in most SI mags.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenJoe;3518894]If Revis was on a team like the Patriots, Cowboys, Colts, Giants, etc., he'd get the award..[/QUOTE]

:clapper:
    Yep, and the BS interference penalties would stop too.