Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Say no to trading up for a safety

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Say no to trading up for a safety

I'm reading threads where people want to trade UP for a safety?
    What the hell.
    There is a reason why teams don't franchise safeties unless they are Ed Reed in his prime.
    Berry- Mays- Thomas?
    There is NO WAY IN HELL I would tie up that much money on anyone of those guys @ the top of the draft.
    Don't get me wrong, if the Jets had the 6th pick & Berry is there than of course, especially if we're not trading picks away, but to move UP for any of them would be assinine at best.

Darren Sharper played for 1.7 million last year!
    Kerry Rhodes was a 4th round pick!
    Ed Reed was drafted at the end of the 1st round I believe.

I think your all wrong in your revised mocks.
    Just because we traded for Cromarty doesn't mean we are finished shutting down opposing passing games.
    We still play in 2010:
    Brady- Rothlisberger- Palmer- Cutler- Favre ect.

If the Jets really want to take pass defense to another level
    McCourty from Rutgers is the pick @ 29 if he's there. Guy had a tremendous combine! Guy has really quick feet & would be a slot receiver KILLER.

He's also insurance if Cro goes off the deepend.

Can you imagine 3rd down & Long against the Jets?
    Revis & Cro on the outside
    McCourty on the slot
    Combination of Smith- Lowery- Leonard behind them.
    Forget about what you think about Smith, he's very good on the Tight End.

That playoff in Indy made Rex puke in his mouth & he distinctly said on the sideline, "we need people that can cover!"
    Payton Manning was only sacked 10 times last year, we sacked him twice, but after that we need to cover & couldn't do it.

Knowing Rex, that will never happen again- Cornerback is @29!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i agree with you. we can't go off the deep end to draft a safety. if earl thomas miraculously fell to us at 29, that's one thing. but we need to address a few things with these picks we have:

slot wr
    CB
    DE
    Safety

and possibly

RB

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're just as wrong as those calling for a safety at 29. WE GO BPA. How hard is that to understand? Now we do the best we can to settle weakspots before the draft and hopefully won't be forced to draft starters for any particular spot. If cornerback is bpa I have no problem with the selection, but I'm not taking McCourtney over Carlos Dunlap or Brandon Graham or Sergio Kindle or Ryan Clark or any number of players who could be there at 29.

While I agree the outpour for Safety is narrowminded it would be equally narrowminded to call for cornerback...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3518613]You're just as wrong as those calling for a safety at 29. WE GO BPA. How hard is that to understand? Now we do the best we can to settle weakspots before the draft and hopefully won't be forced to draft starters for any particular spot. If cornerback is bpa I have no problem with the selection, but I'm not taking McCourtney over Carlos Dunlap or Brandon Graham or Sergio Kindle or Ryan Clark or any number of players who could be there at 29.

While I agree the outpour for Safety is narrowminded it would be equally narrowminded to call for cornerback...[/QUOTE]

Graham- Kindle- Dunlap will be gone by 29
    If you think for one second that Graham gets by Belichick if he falls to the Pats, forget about it.
    * As for the BPA theory, I get where you are coming from. What I'm saying is that if Devin is still on the board at 29- He's the best player available for the NY Jets.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The reason a guy like McCourty would make a lot of sense is that he is also considered an elite special teams player. He would upgrade two areas. Yet you have to wonder if you draft a third CB/special teams ace in the first round. Well, it is very late in the first but still. Safety should be addressed in the second round as we will see the value there.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3518632]The reason a guy like McCourty would make a lot of sense is that he is also considered an elite special teams player. He would upgrade two areas. Yet you have to wonder if you draft a third CB/special teams ace in the first round. Well, it is very late in the first but still. Safety should be addressed in the second round as we will see the value there.[/QUOTE]

That's the point, thank you for mentioning special teams. Our specials weren't so special last year. Players in this draft will provide both depth & special teams help. If you look at my Mock draft, of course I don't think we have 2 4th round picks, LOL, I also drafted based on players that will upgrade our special teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not in favor of trading up for a safety EXCEPT if the safety the Jets want is in striking distance.

As I mentioned in the other thread, let's say Earl Thomas falls to the low to mid-20s. It makes sense for Trader Mike to pounce and trade up for him. Moving up 5 or so spots won't cost that much.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No to trading up for a safety!!

BPA 4 lyfe!!