Thread: I hope the Jets don't underestimate Special Teams

I hope the Jets don't underestimate Special Teams

I'm sure this potentially sounds dumb, but I hope the Jets don't underestimate the value of their special teams. For awhile, they've always had spectacular special teams, more specifically I would say their coverage units. But there are some flags popping up this year.

-KR/PR is coming off of a broken leg.
    -We have a sh!tty punter
    -Wallace Wright just signed with Carolina
    -Marques Murrell just visited with New England
    -Vernon Gholston is still taking up a roster spot

Keeping Hartsock and offering a contract to Hunter are solid starts, but this is becoming an underrated issue. One of the main ways superior teams get beaten by inferior teams is by special teams and one can never underestimate the value of field position, especially in December and the playoffs.

The Jets have typically done a good job of making sure their second day picks can at least cut their teeth on special teams and hopefully that continues despite posters here projecting the Jets take the name guys who fall for whatever reason and who have never played special teams in their life.

I wonder if the WR/RB the Jets get will also actually be the KR/PR of the future and I think you'll continue to see the Jets draft guys the second day who can contribute on special teams.

I couldn't agree more. We pounded Miami all over the park last year and lost due to two kick returns. Our special teams return wise and coverage wise sucked last year.

They won't. I think all the draft picks that make the roster will start out at STs, including a DE/OLB convert since he won't be starting either.

The loss of Trusnick, hopefully Izzo, and now Wright has to be devastating to ST. Consider, that Eric & Brad Smith may have reduced ST roles due to other commitments.
    The Jets need LB, especially ILB's, Westoff may control this draft from the 4th round on.

All League
    Everyone seems to be talking about the guys we've lost (and may lose) on special teams. I am concerned also, but if you look at the big picture for a moment, special teams stunk it up last season and something has to be done. Consequently, I think we are seeing a shake up. It's long way until the season and I am going to wait to see what other moves are made before I press the panic alarm.

As Jet Blast alluded to, I think the Special Teams shakeup is as much BECAUSE of last years struggles as anything else. They weren't pleased with last years results, therefore, they will be making changes on ST's.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3519737]As Jet Blast alluded to, I think the Special Teams shakeup is as much BECAUSE of last years struggles as anything else. They weren't pleased with last years results, therefore, they will be making changes on ST's.[/QUOTE]

Interesting point, but I would be surprised if Wright and Murrell are to blame. Not that I know the ST assignments, but those guys have been thought of for awhile a sour best ST players.

Gholston on ST seems to be a joke to me.

Yes, the Ginn debacle was an utter embarrassment. I like the 'shake up' comments, think we need one. Additionally, why is Feely making ditch tackles? It should never have to come down to the kicker stopping a return for a TD, good thing he's a weight lifter.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3520023]Interesting point, but I would be surprised if Wright and Murrell are to blame. Not that I know the ST assignments, but those guys have been thought of for awhile a sour best ST players.

Gholston on ST seems to be a joke to me.[/QUOTE]

Murrell couldn't even get onto the active gameday roster last year for a while because he was in Westhoff's doghouse. He was inactive pretty much our entire stretch run until the AFCCG. Wright was active, but who knows what Westhoff saw that he didn't like. I do know though that if Westhoff really wanted Wright and went to bat for him, that he'd still be here. I haven't seen a ST coach have such an impact on the bottom half of the roster like Westhoff does. Make no mistake about it, this was his decision. IMO.

our future PR is [B]Larry Taylor [/B](5'6", 177) has played two seasons for Montreal of the CFL, averaging 9.9 yards per punt return on 137 returns with three returns for touchdown and 21.4 yards per kickoff return on 80 returns. This past season he earned the CFLís Most Outstanding Special Teams Player honor as well as being named a conference and CFL All-Star. In 2008, he led the CFL in punt return yardage (572) after beginning the season on Montrealís practice squad. In his senior season at Connecticut in 2007, Taylor caught 25 passes for 259 yards, had 31 punt returns for 357 yards and two touchdowns and had 11 kickoff returns for 205 yards.

[B]With those stats he would rank 6th in the NFL (Team stat) in both KR and PR.. and he probably cost next to nothing.[/B] in know, CFl is not the NFL but.......

GGI gholston taking up a roster spot helps the ST. Gholston plays specials pretty decently. The problem with Gholston is they didn't draft him at 6 to play special teams. Actually watch the Jets ST plays Gholston made several tackles in 2nd half of the year.

along those lines you don't draft Jerry Hughes to help the special teams. besides another defensive back...which they might find in FA... the Jets do need LB depth at both positions and those guys, along with maybe a new RB/WR/TE late rounder to help the coverage units.

as for Punter I agree Weatherford stinks. this dude Zoltan is best of a bad group id like him but not sure he's worth an actual draft pick.

Returner is a need but not dire... besides the CFL guy they can get away with using Leonard on PR and Brad Smith at KR but it's not ideal.

[QUOTE=Ven0m;3520212]who knows what Westhoff saw that he didn't like[/QUOTE]

i can't point to a specific play or moment in game but Wright wasn't as fast this year or as good getting off blocks. they won't give a 26 y/o WR who can't catch a big contract just for specials and run blocking... so he's gone. wright might be a great signing for Carolina but he's replacable.

the dude that worries me with the Jets ST was Jason Trusnik that guy was a beast. I know they needed Edwards but he wasn't a throwaway player in the deal.

Anyone like Javier Arenas as return man and backup CB?

[QUOTE=bitonti;3520253]i can't point to a specific play or moment in game but Wright wasn't as fast this year or as good getting off blocks. they won't give a 26 y/o WR who can't catch a big contract just for specials and run blocking... so he's gone. wright might be a great signing for Carolina but he's replacable.

[B]the dude that worries me with the Jets ST was Jason Trusnik that guy was a beast. I know they needed Edwards but he wasn't a throwaway player in the deal[/B].[/QUOTE]

just said this in another thread. Trusnik was damn solid.

We have lost all of our top ST players so I'm praying there is a plan in place. It would be one thing to lose some of the none tackling duds out there but we lost the guys who were making all the plays.