Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else starting to think Jared Odrick is the safe play at 29?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else starting to think Jared Odrick is the safe play at 29?

At 6' 5" and 300 lbs, he has the prototypical 3-4 DE body and would fill a major need. Last year at this time everyone seemed more focused on adding youth to that position (i.e., Tyson Jackson). What's different this year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it... unless Mays or Thomas is there, I wouldn't mind going that route. Seems very safe.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Still not an Odrick fan in the first. Would look good in a strong rotation though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Havent figured it out yet, but for some reason this guy just screams bust to me...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is the safe pick. I like Odrick but just don't think he will give you the type of production you need out of a first round pick. I think we could find the same production from a 4th rounder so I do not see us going that route. Safe pick yes - best player available no.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hendu24;3519477]Havent figured it out yet, but for some reason this guy just screams bust to me...[/QUOTE]

MOST PSU lineman do:

Courtney Brown, Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Haynes, Aaron Maybin (jury still out),

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ellis, Jenks, Pouha, Devito top 4 DL how major of a need is DL?

truthfully im not an Odrick fan either. There's alot of film where he dissapears... misses tackles etc. If we were talking about Cameron Heyward I'd be right there with you guys... Odrick to 3-4 DE is less certain.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3519648]Ellis, Jenks, Pouha, Devito top 4 DL how major of a need is DL?

truthfully im not an Odrick fan either. There's alot of film where he dissapears... misses tackles etc. If we were talking about Cameron Heyward I'd be right there with you guys... Odrick to 3-4 DE is less certain.[/QUOTE]

Because only one of those guys is a true 5 technique DE (Ellis) and 3/4 of the group is 30+. We can't bank on Ellis and Devito playing every snap -- youth is needed.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3519653]Because only one of those guys is a true 5 technique DE (Ellis) and 3/4 of the group is 30+. We can't bank on Ellis and Devito playing every snap -- youth is needed.[/QUOTE]

they found Devito UDFA, they had UDFA pitoitua active for 8 games... they have UDFA Kroul and Steinkuhler on the Psquad... I agree youth is needed, I question if they use a first rounder on that youth... unless it's a Cameron Heyward or N Suh super prospect. Odrick doesn't do it for me. I'd rather see PIto out there and I'm not being sarcastic. He's pretty decent. also there's a small part of me that doesn't want to see Shaun Ellis go... he's a warrior during divisional games. if they draft Odrick to replace Ellis I will be depressed on draft day

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3519658]they found Devito UDFA, they had UDFA pitoitua active for 8 games... they have UDFA Kroul and Steinkuhler on the Psquad... I agree youth is needed, I question if they use a first rounder on that youth... unless it's a Cameron Heyward or N Suh super prospect. Odrick doesn't do it for me. I'd rather see PIto out there and I'm not being sarcastic. He's pretty decent. also there's a small part of me that doesn't want to see Shaun Ellis go... he's a warrior during divisional games. if they draft Odrick to replace Ellis I will be depressed on draft day[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?

Are you really using training camp fodder like Kroul and Steinkuhler as to why we shouldn't draft a 3-4 end?

The Jets are going to need at least two new starters on the D-line within the next 2-3 years IMO. Ellis is long in the tooth and so is Jenkins. Douglas is gone. I like DeVito, but he's better suited as a rotational player. Pito hasn't proven dick so far. And even though Pouha improved greatly last year, the guy is still the same age as Jenkins.

The Jets have major needs along the DL. I don't know how you can't see that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3519648]Ellis, Jenks, Pouha, Devito top 4 DL how major of a need is DL?

truthfully im not an Odrick fan either. [B]There's alot of film where he dissapears... misses tackles etc. [/B]If we were talking about Cameron Heyward I'd be right there with you guys... Odrick to 3-4 DE is less certain.[/QUOTE]

+1 watch the youtube video on him i believe vs michigan..misses alot of tackles..i would trade down if hes only guy left there..need more of a difference maker than hold the fort kind of guy at 29..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jared Odrick and Lamarr Houston

Those guys are fastly becoming my Top 2 choices at #29.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3519661]Are you kidding me?

Are you really using training camp fodder like Kroul and Steinkuhler as to why we shouldn't draft a 3-4 end?
    [/QUOTE]

no... Im using Devito and Marques Douglas as examples that Rex doesn't need 1st rounders to find talent on his defensive line. and I legitimately think Pito is a player.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3519673]no... Im using Devito and Marques Douglas as examples that Rex doesn't need 1st rounders to find talent on his defensive line. and I legitimately think Pito is a player.[/QUOTE]

Really? I could also say that Rex doesn't need 1st rounders in his secondary. Guys like Leonhard, Landry, etc never sniffed the 1st round. But that doesn't mean that I would object to drafting an Earl Thomas if he's there.

Like I said, we have a ton of questions along the DL, both short term and long term. Who is to say Jenkins will be back 100% next year? How much does Ellis have left in the tank? How do we know that DeVito could transition to becoming a full time player with no problems at all? Who is to say that guys like Kroul and Steinkuhler won't be completely out of the league in a few months?

DL is a much bigger need than you're making it out to be.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a big Odrick fan either. I don't see him as a "safe" pick because I don't think it's a lock that he turns into a good player.

I'd much rather have Lamarr Houston.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i, for one, would defitinely welcome an infusion of youth/talent on the DL. last year our frontline was good, but far from spectacular, and we can't count on guys like Pouha and DeVito constantly playing above their heads if Jenkins goes down again.

that doesn't mean that we have to take a DL with our first-round pick, but it's definitely something we should be considering in this draft. i also like Montgomery from the Redskins, who's tendered as a 5th rounder.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3519673]no... Im using Devito and Marques Douglas as examples that Rex doesn't need 1st rounders to find talent on his defensive line. and I legitimately think Pito is a player.[/QUOTE]

You can use this argument to not draft a guy in the first round at any position bit.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3519722]You can use this argument to not draft a guy in the first round at any position bit.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The issue to me is I see D-Line as a "Future need" rather then a "Present need", similar to our O-Line situation. Sure, Ellis, Jenkins, Pouha are over 30, but none of them are at the point in age where I'm overly concerned about them breaking down next year either. We should be fine for 2010 as pretty much presently constituted.

I have no reservations about going into next year with Devito starting in Douglas's spot in the starting lineup. In fact, I feel like he earned it last year. I'd like to keep Douglas as well, but push comes to shove I don't feel that's absolutely necessary.

On the other hand, nobody doubts that Safety is a "Present need" now. Nobody doubts that a slot WR would be a big addition to our offense. Bitonti is the only one who seems to think we don't need a Pass Rushing OLB (Yes, Im busting balls). I would rather see those "Present needs" addressed before we start worrying about positions that are fine for 2010. Especially given our limited resources at our disposal.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-09-2010 at 10:24 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Untouchable;3519661]Are you kidding me?

The Jets are going to need at least two new starters on the D-line within the next 2-3 years IMO. Ellis is long in the tooth and so is Jenkins. Douglas is gone. I like DeVito, but he's better suited as a rotational player. Pito hasn't proven dick so far. And even though Pouha improved greatly last year, the guy is still the same age as Jenkins.

The Jets have major needs along the DL. I don't know how you can't see that.[/QUOTE]

Good analysis. DE is the biggest need for the Jets. Odrick is fine. He's not Suh or McCoy but so what. But he may be gone at 29. My next choice might be Lamarr Houston even on a trade down 10 spots.
    I like Devito but he is a fill in guy.
    He's needed but he's not a long term starter. Pito can make the team but he should never start.