Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone else starting to think Jared Odrick is the safe play at 29?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3519919]i dont get these comments. [B]Ellis played in a 3-4 when Parcells was the coach. If this isn't a 3-4 under rex why do they need a nose tackle like Pouha or Jenkins?[/B] Why do they need Scott and Harris? in the end this is still a 3-4 and Houston would have to learn the 3-4. His tendencies to shoot the gap and try to make the play would have to be unlearned. It seems like a waste to use a high pick on a player asked to absorb blocks.... especially when they have 4 or 5 guys on the roster right now how can do it already. Would Lamarr Houston start over Mike Devito? I dont think he would. No offense to Houston I just think people are underrating the current DL on the roster.[/QUOTE]

Parcells Jets D was a one gap 3-4. That's back when Ellis was heavier too.

Then he slimmed down for the Cover 2, then he bulked back up a little but basically plays around 285-290.

Houston is a bit shorter (6'3) and a bit heavier, but fast, quick and agile. He's also just as strong as Ellis.

And lets face it, any player coming from collegiate ball will have to learn a new system. Every position and scheme was easier in college.

The main thing I look for is disruptiveness (production), motor and physical ability. We can teach him the rest.

I like Devito a lot. I want him on this team, he's great in the rotation and might even be a starter one day. Pouha is already what, 29-30? And he's our backup NT that will sometimes play end, but really he's the space eater.

Douglas and Ellis are both on the wrong side of 30, and I think it would be wise to get an eventual replacement for them on the roster. Houston can learn from them, work the rotation (probably more of a third down player in his first year) and then eventually take over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3519993]
    Houston is a bit shorter (6'3) and a bit heavier, but fast, quick and agile. He's also just as strong as Ellis.
    [/QUOTE]

I say this much, out of Price, Odrick and houston, I like Houston the best of those 3, for this defense... even tho the other 2 probably get picked higher. he's a real nice player... and if that were the pick I could live with it... wouldn't be my ideal pick but I could see the appeal. Houston could be like Ellis and kick inside on 3rd and long and rush from the DT position. He was an excellent player at Senior Bowl.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3519993]Parcells Jets D was a one gap 3-4. That's back when Ellis was heavier too.

Then he slimmed down for the Cover 2, then he bulked back up a little but basically plays around 285-290.

And lets face it, any player coming from collegiate ball will have to learn a new system. Every position and scheme was easier in college.

The main thing I look for is disruptiveness (production), motor and physical ability. We can teach him the rest.

I like Devito a lot. I want him on this team, he's great in the rotation and might even be a starter one day. [B]Pouha is already what, 29-30[/B]? And he's our backup NT that will sometimes play end, but really he's the space eater.

Douglas and Ellis are both on the wrong side of 30, and I think it would be wise to get an eventual replacement for them on the roster. Houston can learn from them, work the rotation (probably more of a third down player in his first year) and then eventually take over.[/QUOTE]

Pouha is older then Jenkins at 31..:eek:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3519967]What position wouldn't spend this year on the bench 35-40% of the time?

CB2 - solved.
    DE - We have a nice rotation that any rookie would struggle to crack
    OLB - Pace, Thomas, Gholston, Westerman
    RB - Greene, Leon
    ILB - Bart and Harris
    OL - 5 very good starters

Safety is the only position that a rookie would see time at, and I believe that position will be filled before the draft. Could also use another TE.

If a WR happens to be the top player remaining on their board at 29, I hope that's the pick. Same goes with a CB or a ILB or a DE. Just take the best player because the depth chart looks pretty good at the moment.[/QUOTE]

I am not crazy about the DE situation. Ellis is ok, but 32 and one puff away from a 4 game rest. Douglas is 32 and how effective? I like Devito as a guy who can come in, but don't like him as a starter. Piti is a what? Get the future in now.
    With Cotchery and Edwards there, a #1 at WR will start exactly when? And enough with the Notre Dame lovefest. Good WRs are available into 3 maybe beyond.
    What if the BPA at 29 is a center or QB? The Jets still need to fill needs.
    Agree a S will be in house before the draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if they think hughes is a real player, they should take him and not look back. he may not be a prototypical DE but rex would use him correctly and anyone who can generate a pass rush would be welcomed. sure they have several guys at that position but how much longer will gholston and bryan thomas be there? pass rusher in round 1, cb in round 2. i believe that's the plan, after focusing exclusively on offense in last year's draft, and using 2 picks on braylon in this year's draft.