Thread: Did the Jets get lucky?

Did the Jets get lucky?

Take a look at what has transpired in free agency this year. Because of the uncapped rules, teams tagged every player deemed important or a good value for the money they were making.

Therefore, the market for stud free agents was REALLY SLIM.
    Peppers & ?

Is Karlos Dansby worth what he got paid?
    If I remember correctly the Cards gave up like 80 points in two playoff games

Antrel Rolle?
    I was hoping the Jets might take a peak but did you see the contract he signed? Way more than we would have paid for Rhodes.

Seriously, this was the best year to NOT have to be in the free agent market. With slim pickings these guys got WAY MORE than they should have.
    Chester Taylor?
    Another outrageous contract for a 30 year old part time player.

Guys here are poo pooing a Coles return, but that is the perfect type of vet for a young wideout to learn from. Just because we might take a young wideout in the draft doesn't mean they can just step into a team that went to the AFCCG.

With our running game, a more seasoned Sanchize an Edwards- Cotchery- Coles combo would be pretty formidable.
    All three of those guys are tough tremendous blockers.

Tannys just waiting to see if Coles will play under what the Jets consider a reasonable contract. If he does he will be here to mentor the guy we take in the draft.
    Never underestimate how veterans are literally coaches on the field & in the locker room. That is something that Bill Parcells has known his entire coaching career.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Lucky? Perhaps. But, our spending last year was somewhat calculated and, at least partially, took into consideration the potential for 2010 as an uncapped one with very few FAs to be had.

If you recall, the Jets had one of the worst cap situations at the end of the 2008 season. THey did a whole lot of restructuring (mostly with Favre of course) in an effort to bring in a guy like Scott and other guys who became starters like Leonhard and Douglas. The Jets also refrained from extending Leon because it was a distinct possibility that he would only be an RFA, not a UFA.

The Jets did their shopping in 08' and 09'. Even if they had the opportunity to make some moves this offseason, there wouldn't be a big splash - just minor tinkering.

All League
    This was a very thin FA group this season, especially at the top of the market. Dansby, Rolle and Peppers were ALL way overpaid. However, if there IS going to be football in 2011, it will be a very deep group coming into FA. A lot of guys who were stuck in RFA for this year will get a shot at true FA in 2011.

So you are right. The only reason Chicago spent like Daniel Snyder on crack is because THEIR FO can't afford to wait for 2011. Its make or break for them...and damned the consequences.

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3519800]This was a very thin FA group this season, especially at the top of the market. Dansby, Rolle and Peppers were ALL way overpaid. However, if there IS going to be football in 2011, it will be a very deep group coming into FA. A lot of guys who were stuck in RFA for this year will get a shot at true FA in 2011.

So you are right. The only reason Chicago spent like Daniel Snyder on crack is because THEIR FO can't afford to wait for 2011. Its make or break for them...and damned the consequences.[/QUOTE]

why the Namath avatar? just curious.

Even for the right money, I am not sure Coles would be a good addition to the team. This is a guy who has walked on the Jets twice because of money issues, has chronic turf-toe, and wasn't at all productive last year.

All League
    [QUOTE=Dcat;3519810]why the Namath avatar? just curious.[/QUOTE]

I lost a bet last season and don't know how to get rid of it...besides JN and I are contemporaries. I could do a lot worse

Hall Of Fame
    when you're as prepared as the jets are, luck is simply a variable for the weak.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3519847]I lost a bet last season and don't know how to get rid of it...besides JN and I are contemporaries. I could do a lot worse[/QUOTE]

paint or no paint, i like it sir

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=patsfanken;3519800]This was a very thin FA group this season, especially at the top of the market. Dansby, Rolle and Peppers were ALL way overpaid. However, if there IS going to be football in 2011, it will be a very deep group coming into FA. A lot of guys who were stuck in RFA for this year will get a shot at true FA in 2011.

So you are right. The only reason Chicago spent like Daniel Snyder on crack is because THEIR FO can't afford to wait for 2011. Its make or break for them...and damned the consequences.[/QUOTE]

....and they have no picks in the first or 2nd rounds this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3519847]I lost a bet last season and don't know how to get rid of it...besides JN and I are contemporaries. I could do a lot worse[/QUOTE]

Ha....nice! We'll start to turn some of you guys eventually. I can feel it. :yes:

Did you hear that FF2 is thinking about buying a PSL at the new Meadowlands?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I'd like to see Coles return, and it sounds like Tannenbaum is interested. But it does suck not to be able to sign any free agents in an upcapped season.

Jets Insider VIP
    not only are the Bears in a win or the FO and coaching staff are OUT situation but it is exacerbated by the fact that they have NO first round pick and NO second round pick. They had no options but desperately overpaying UFA's in 2010

[QUOTE=Kotch;3519812]Even for the right money, I am not sure Coles would be a good addition to the team. This is a guy who has walked on the Jets twice because of money issues, has chronic turf-toe, and wasn't at all productive last year.[/QUOTE]

Didn't he sustain another concussion in the playoff game against us? :eek:

I do not want any of our player learning anything from coles. :eek:

I honestly believe we're being smart (finally). We're getting GOOD players. Not GOOD guys.

I'm gonna have to agree with the pass on Coles camp.
    He's had too many concussions, he may not even be physically able to play much at all.
    And I think he's a whiny baby too.

All Pro
    The trade for Braylon was a very lucky coincidence.

Imagine the hole without him.