Thread: OLB is super deep group

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

OLB is super deep group

so let's say you believe the NYJ biggest need is OLB pass rusher. Fine.

Why go round 1 with such a deep group?

possible first rounders
    JPP, USF
    Brandon Graham, Michigan
    Everson Griffen, USC
    Sergio Kindle, Texas
    Ricky Sapp, Clemson
    Jerry Hughes, TCU

probably not first rounders
    Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
    Thad Gibson, Ohio St
    Eric Norwood, South carolina
    Koa Misi, Utah
    Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
    Jermaine Cunningham, Florida
    Antonio Coleman, Auburn
    Arthur Moats, james Madison
    Obrien Schofield, Wisconsin
    Lindsey Witten, Uconn
    Brandon lang, Troy
    Georgie Selvie, USF
    Cameron Sheffield, Troy
    Justin Cole, San Jose State
    Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, Washington
    Junior Gallette, Stillman
    Dexter Davis, Arizona State
    Adrian Tracy, William & Mary
    Dan Batten, South Dakota
    Aaron Morgan, La-Laf

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bit- What do you think on Coleman? I have seen 3rd round to UDFA, and some seem to think he is a tweener. I liked what I saw when I watched him at Auburn last season, but not sure what he will look like as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetTerp;3520058]Bit- What do you think on Coleman? I have seen 3rd round to UDFA, and some seem to think he is a tweener. I liked what I saw when I watched him at Auburn last season, but not sure what he will look like as a 3-4 OLB in the NFL.[/QUOTE]

I love Coleman's game. He's extremely underrated. At Auburn he worked hard all the time. He could have gone pro as a junior but didn't, which I can respect. he has badass pass rush moves... a little undersized but a real good player.

I also really like jermaine cunningham from Florida and feel like he's the best pure Florida pass rusher since Bobby McCray. Better than Harvey, Spikes, Dunlap any1 else we can think of... another guy who probably isnt worth a 1st rounder but he's got serious pass rush ability as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that OLB is a need, but doesn't neccesarily need to be addressed at #29. That being said, I think it definitely should be addressed by the 5th round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if Cunningham will still be around in the 4th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed, but I want to point out something.

Anytime we see an undersized DE, we automatically make him out to be a 3-4 OLB candidate. A lot of the times, that doesn't work out so well for teams. It's a lot harder for us as casual fans to tell but only teams who get to see them workout at the position have any sort of idea that they can make the transition.

For example, I don't think Cunningham will be a 3-4 OLB. I agree, he's underrated and will be a very solid player...but as a 4-3 DE. Do I know for sure? Nope. Haven't seen him do LB drills. But I've seen Cunningham a lot to know that he's pretty tight in the hips.

On the flip side, I know Sapp and Kindle can do it because they've shown the ability to do so in college and have top-notch athleticism.

My point is it's a deep group, but let's be careful of labeling every undersized DE a 3-4 OLB prospect. I'm betting there's a good amount there in that group whoul would never reach their potential in a 3-4.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    It just seems like we have more options at OLB in the 3rd or 4th rounds, while we can hope a DL, Safety, or WR slide in the first and 2nd. However, I would pull the trigger on a top pass rusher IF we have a shot at them. After the top few guys, it seems more like a crap shoot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Koa Misi & Arthur Moats from category 2.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we can trade down from 29 and get a another 2nd and a late 3rd or early 4th. Alot of solid players available in rounds 2-4 and we need depth. We can get our #2 RB, pass rushing OLB and a starting Safety in rounds 2-4.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3520558]Maybe we can trade down from 29 and get a another 2nd and a late 3rd or early 4th. Alot of solid players available in rounds 2-4 and we need depth. We can get our #2 RB, pass rushing OLB and a starting Safety in rounds 2-4.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is the strategy the Jets use or will use. They will bring in undrafted guys but will use the draft to focus on 3 or 4 (sometimes less) key guys they really like. The strategy has been working wonders for them so I would be very surprised if they start doing anything different. Trading down and have tons of picks is what the Patriots have been doing the past few years and it has not been working. I think the quality over quantity way wins out again this year. Get us 3 or 4 guys that can actually get on the field year one.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=VincenzoTestaverde;3520558]Maybe we can trade down from 29 and get a another 2nd and a late 3rd or early 4th. Alot of solid players available in rounds 2-4 and we need depth. We can get our #2 RB, pass rushing OLB and a starting Safety in rounds 2-4.[/QUOTE]

This to me would be a great move if none of the players on the Jets' Top 20 board makes it down to #29.

Normally I am against these types of moves, but this year the draft is stacked with about 30 extra quality guys who are leaving earlier than normal due to the pending rookie salary cap in 2011. As a result that late 3rd round pick could easily be a guy with early 2nd round value from a "normal" year draft.