Thread: WR Marcus Easley

All League

WR Marcus Easley

Marcus Easley - Uconn

Official 4.46 40 with a non official run of 4.39...16 reps on the bench and looked great in the gauntlet drills, also had a 10'3 broad jump.

Oh not to mention he is 6'3 and 220 lbs....This kid had NO passing game whatsoever at UConn and was a walk on and bloomed in his senior year.( I also played against him in HS he was from Bunnell high school in stratford CT)

4th round pick???

Doesn't sound like a slot WR...More like a bigger Clowney or a Marcus Henry..They project him, for now, as a 5th - 6th

Few players come out of nowhere to earn a mid-round grade on NFL teams' draft boards, but Easley may just be one of those exceptions. Despite barely making an impact in his first three years at UConn and playing on a team that runs more than it throws, he became a big-time downfield playmaker in his final season.

Easley received no scholarship offers from major programs out of high school, so he stayed in state to attend UConn. After a season out of football, he walked onto the squad and spent two years blocking for the Huskies' stable of backs while making only five receptions for 104 yards.

His amazing senior year started with a 10-catch, 169-yard performance in the spring game. Then he received a scholarship in August, and after the passing game got off to a slow start, Easley came on late to make 48 catches for 893 (for a nice 18.6 yard average) and eight scores.

Easley's still a raw product, and teams will wonder why he couldn't contribute more earlier in his career. But his combination of size, speed, and blocking willingness intrigues scouts, and a nice pre-draft workout could raise his stock into the middle rounds. Otherwise, a team may get a great bargain late in the draft if they give him more time to learn the position.

Release: Must work on getting off the line quicker and more cleanly. Strider who needs time to get to full speed; once he does, however, he can separate from corners down the sideline or seam.

Hands: Has strong hands able to snatch the ball out of the air, but doesn't trust them enough and ends up body catching when facing the quarterback. Gets down to corral low throws. Has the vertical to high-point high passes and the size to ward off defenders for jump balls. Tracks passes well over either shoulder, adding to his deep threat ability.

Route running: Needs work here, inexperienced at running the entire route tree. His speed allows him to drive defender and come back to the ball, but he doesn't sink his hips and his feet aren't quick enough yet to do this well. Can sell routes on the run, though, shaking defender or subtly cutting to get the seam.

After the catch: Better running straight-ahead than laterally. Not a quick-twitch, elusive runner and needs space to accelerate. Effective stiff-arm but is not necessarily bullish after the catch. Used on quick screens to get him the ball on the edge against smaller defenders. Lacks great vision, however, to get upfield if there is traffic outside.

Blocking: Solid blocker with the potential to be even better playing with a bit more aggression. Usually gets to linebackers and safeties to run block, using his long arms and feet to keep the angle and/or sustain against his corner. Gives good effort blocking for other receivers downfield; will trail the play and attempt to hit multiple targets.

Intangibles: Scouts will have questions about his competitiveness after sitting out his first season at UConn, but he worked hard to earn playing time as a walk-on and gives good effort as a special teams coverage player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...;pageContainer

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

could go as early as the 3rd and unlikely to get out of the 5th....

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    could go as early as the 3rd and unlikely to get out of the 5th....
    never seen a player come out of no where 1 year in college and then shoot up the draft boards like he has.....he's an intriguing choice....nice kid too

Cannot help but think a late receiver will not get a sniff of a roster spot with guys like Clowney, Davis and Allison around. If we want a slot receiver that may have a shot at playing this year than I say that guy has to come from the first few rounds.

Jets also checking him out...

Bears take a liking to UConn receiver Easley
    March 25, 2010
    By Brad Biggs

The Bears are showing considerable interest in Connecticut wide receiver Marcus Easley, with East Coast scout Rex Hogan attending the Huskies' pro day Wednesday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

The Bears were one of 22 teams represented at the pro day and the New York Jets (Henry Ellard) and Baltimore Ravens (Jim Hostler) sent their wide receivers coaches to the workout. The Bears got familiar with Easley at the scouting combine last month in Indianapolis when he met with wide receivers coach Darryl Drake and offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

Easley has an intriguing story and NFL teams want to hear it. He was a walk-on at UConn until last April when he finally got a scholarship. He repaid the program and then some as he led the team with 48 receptions for 893 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior. Now, everyone wants to know where he's been.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...er-easley.html

Practice Squad
    What about Eric Decker. Top route runner, great hands, good athlete, plays baseball too.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfaneh View Post
    Cannot help but think a late receiver will not get a sniff of a roster spot with guys like Clowney, Davis and Allison around. If we want a slot receiver that may have a shot at playing this year than I say that guy has to come from the first few rounds.
    Clowney, Davis, and Allison aren't really holding anyone back unless they step their games up too.

Easley is really interesting...sounds like a legit option.

All Pro
    effing Allison? you guys are funny. Allison is spent. Davis would have to make lightyears worth or progress since last year. Both are likely to cut for whomever we draft.

I was asking about Easley a couple days ago and no one had anything to say... 5th rounder hey. I like A. Brown better in this area.

More and more NFL teams want to know where Marcus Easley came from.

How did a walk-on player at Connecticut, who didn’t earn a scholarship until last April before his senior season, come out of nowhere to become one of the more intriguing stories in a draft full of them? Easley is sharing the story, that is for sure, after a solid outing Wednesday at the Huskies’ pro day. Twenty-two teams were in attendance and Baltimore (Jim Hostler) and the New York Jets (Henry Ellard) sent their wide receivers coaches.
    Easley projected as a mid-round selection but as he gains traction, he could be selected in the top of the third round or late in the second round. He’s garnering attention because he’s arguably the fastest big wide receiver in the draft, a shade under 6-3 and 207 pounds. Easley ran an official time of 4.46 seconds in the 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, and some watches had him as fast as 4.39. He blocks well for his position, too, so he’s not just a straight-line runner and a vertical threat.

Where did he come from? Well, after Donald Brown departed the program, UConn made the choice to throw the ball a little more. Without a go-to receiver, Easley had the opportunity to step up and that he did, leading the team with 48 receptions for 893 yards (18.6 average) and eight touchdowns. He had made only five receptions in his previous two seasons and was not on the team as a freshman in 2006.

Teams recognize he’s a little raw but they like the skill set and everyone is looking for big receivers that can run. The Chicago Bears and Carolina Panthers showed a great deal of interest in him at the combine. He’s had an on-campus visit from the New England Patriots and will make a visit to the Jets. He has private workouts upcoming with Cincinnati, Cleveland, Philadelphia and San Francisco.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...up-visits.html

All Pro
    hmm, well thats a more promising report.

Sounds like he'll get overdrafted though. Good size however, maybe he does become a 4th rnd consideration. I'm still intimately linked to D. Alexander in that round.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    hmm, well thats a more promising report.

Sounds like he'll get overdrafted though. Good size however, maybe he does become a 4th rnd consideration. I'm still intimately linked to D. Alexander in that round.
    you can have Alexander in the 4th round....I'll wait until the 6th...

All Pro
    for him, or WR in general. please elaborate. I'm not saying i want us to pick a WR in the 4th, just that if we do, thats who i'd tolerate.

Thoughts on Marcus Easley from UCONN. I know the Jets are very interested.> lots of buzz... won't get out of 3rd rd

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
    I don’t care what anyone says, I like these five prospects.
    By Wes Bunting

WR Marcus Easley, Connecticut
    I’ll admit that coming into the year I didn’t even know who this guy was. However, after watching only one game of him, my initial impression was: This is one of the only senior wideouts in the country who has the ability to start on the outside in the NFL. He doesn’t have a ton of experience and is still developing as a route runner, but his explosion off the line and suddenness in and out of his breaks consistently allow him separate on all levels of the field. Plus, he showcases a real savvy about his game for a guy who hasn’t played much and does a nice job slightly widening his angles off the line when asked to set up corners and using his balance and body control to explode away from corners when asked to change directions. There are a lot of receivers in this year’s class who have much more recognizable names than Easley, but check back with me in three years. I have a feeling it will be the quiet, hard-working Easley who will have a much more productive NFL game.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...lder-6994.html

Wes Bunting, the National Football Post’s director of college scouting, has been monitoring the college football scene since 2002.

All Pro
    ^ This is one of the guys i've taken a real liking to along with Brown and Alexander. I don't agree with the prognosis of not lasting till the 4th. I'm hearing that proclamation about 2/3 of the talent in this draft, so i call bull.

He's just another reason why there's no rush to splurge on a WR early.