Thread: Chad Jones

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Chad Jones

This is the guy I like to replace Rhodes. Seems like a guy who can cover and also lay the wood, exactly the kind of saftey Rex likes. What does everyone think? He's 6-3, 230, is that too big to be effective in coverage? How are his ball skills?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfanmack;3521084]This is the guy I like to replace Rhodes. Seems like a guy who can cover and also lay the wood, exactly the kind of saftey Rex likes. What does everyone think? He's 6-3, 230, is that too big to be effective in coverage? How are his ball skills?[/QUOTE]

the other junior jones, reshad, has more inpressive ball skills....does not make as many plays as he should though...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    CBNY, just curious on your thoughts about Nate Allen?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is perfect. The name alone will definitely help out all the posters who miss Pennington and TJ.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TokyoJetsFan;3521125]I think this is perfect. The name alone will definitely help out all the posters who miss Pennington and TJ.[/QUOTE]

I knew there was a reason I didn't like Chad Jones. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chad Jones has pretty good ball skills, not great, but decent. He's a former baseball player, so he's good at locating the ball over his shoulder while on the run.

He's also not as strong as his size would indicate, but that will change once he gets into an NFL weight training program.

I think he's a good prospect and will be gone by 61.

If the Jets go safety at 61, the guy CBNY mentioned is a player I really like.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1Ryqw3k5Y[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3521119]the other junior jones, reshad, has more inpressive ball skills....does not make as many plays as he should though...[/QUOTE]

He isn't the smartest guy around but his natural talent is impressive. He is also a vicious hitter and a super athlete...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'd be an excellent pick in the 4th, where I expect him to go.

Mike, I was probably wrong about Reshad Jones. He's pretty good, though neither he or Chad played up to their talent level consistently.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;3521123]CBNY, just curious on your thoughts about Nate Allen?[/QUOTE]

like him....solid game close to being a complete centerfielder...can't put him over the slot receiver just yet but has that potential...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Flaming Mo;3521134]He isn't the smartest guy around but his natural talent is impressive. He is also a vicious hitter and a super athlete...[/QUOTE]

yes- i know and agree...but i'm annoying myself by constantly saying guys are dumb as dirt or have sh!t between their ears...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3521144]yes- i know and agree...but i'm annoying myself by constantly saying guys are dumb as dirt or have sh!t between their ears...[/QUOTE]

Well, Jones certainly didn't play to his potential last year but the year before that he was very good. I think it had something to do that he was already thinking about the NFL (it was long known that he would leave after his junior year) and Willie Martinez did a horrible job overall with the defense. A lot of guys struggled in his scheme, which got more and more passive over the years and basically had guys just waiting to let anything happen in front of them.

I think from a prospect standpoint there isn't much you can't like about Jones except his production on the field. He is a guy though who could really blossom in an aggressive, in your face defense that plays physical and hard nosed...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3521140]He'd be an excellent pick in the 4th, where I expect him to go.

Mike, I was probably wrong about Reshad Jones. He's pretty good, though neither he or Chad played up to their talent level consistently.[/QUOTE]

Chad Jones WILL be gone before the 4th. There's no way a team like Philly lets him fall that far.

And I'm glad you came to your senses after that horrible Elam comment. Had he played consistently, he's a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. But I think he'd be a Rex type of safety.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iunno...you see alot of guys who are "supposed" to go in the top 2 rounds not go in the top 2 rounds. If I could list everyone I've heard people say would go in the first two rounds I'm sure that list would top 100 players easily.

Both Jones' are perfect candidates because:

- They're raw.

- They weren't big play beasts in college.

- Neither is considered super intelligent for the position.

Plus some factors I'm sure I'll remember at some point...positional value is one.

The only safeties I see going in the first two rounds are Berry, Allen, Thomas and Mays. Of course, if Allen is gone by the early 2nd I can see someone grabbing one of Burnett or the two Jones', but given the depth of the draft they could just keep falling until later.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the idea of getting a smart player back there is a little overrated. Now don't get me wrong, we don't want some knucklehead patrolling center field for us. But when you think about it, Kerry Rhodes complained about Leonhard being the captain of the secondary and calling the plays. Now when he does that, what do you want from the other safety? I think Rex missed a couple of things from Rhodes - one being a real dangerous ballhawk and the other some nasty, vicious demeanor. Leonhard roames around underneath and basically is a very active guy. Now behind him, I would love to have a cleaner, a guy who just punishes people coming over the middle. A guy like Reshad Jones has the physical talent to cover a lot of ground and he was a true head hunter in college. He is also a guy who will come up in run support and deliver blows, something Rhodes never did. Now when you look at the highlight video of Jones in this thread, you get a pretty good idea of what he can do for your secondary. The potential in both areas is obvious and while he will take some time learning the system, he has the potential to become a real nasty player and a guy Rex would love to have back there...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3521289]Iunno...you see alot of guys who are "supposed" to go in the top 2 rounds not go in the top 2 rounds. If I could list everyone I've heard people say would go in the first two rounds I'm sure that list would top 100 players easily.

Both Jones' are perfect candidates because:

- They're raw.

- They weren't big play beasts in college.

- Neither is considered super intelligent for the position.

Plus some factors I'm sure I'll remember at some point...positional value is one.

The only safeties I see going in the first two rounds are Berry, Allen, Thomas and Mays. Of course, if Allen is gone by the early 2nd I can see someone grabbing one of Burnett or the two Jones', but given the depth of the draft they could just keep falling until later.[/QUOTE]

They're juniors who probably would've been better off to stay in school. A lot of juniors this year are in the same boat. The draft is loaded this year, and there probably are a legit number of guys with 1st round ability.