Thread: jets only mock

jets only mock

round 1: [SIZE="3"][B]WR Damian Williams - [COLOR="DarkRed"]Southern California[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

why: Edwards not signed long term, the Jets dont have a #3 WR. instant chemistry with Sanchez.

[SIZE="1"]other possible targets: WR Golden Tate - Notre Dame, WR Brandon LaFell - LSU, WR Regus Benn - Illinois, WR Demaryius Thomas, Georgia Tech[/SIZE]

round 2: [SIZE="3"][B]DB Chris Cook - [COLOR="Navy"]Virginia[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

why: uncertainty at both safety and corner positions, Cook can play either.

[SIZE="1"]other possible targets: DB Dom Franks - Oklahoma, DB Perrish Cox - Oklahoma State, DB A.j. Jefferson - Fresno State, DB Josh Moore - Kansas State, DB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah - Indiana PA[/SIZE]

round 4: [SIZE="3"][B]DL Alex Carrington - [COLOR="Red"]Arkansas State[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

why: Ellis not here after 2010, Marques Douglas is gone. Need interior pass rush.

[SIZE="1"]other possible targets: DE Clifton Geathers - South Carolina, DE C.J. Wilson - East Carolina, DE Austen Lane - Murray State, DT Al Woods - LSU, DT Arthur Jones - Syracuse, DT Jeffery Fitzgerald - Kansas State[/SIZE]

round 5: [SIZE="3"][B]OLB Antonio Coleman - [COLOR="Navy"]Auburn[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

why: Jets not getting enough pass rush, need OLB depth and possible replacement for Thomas or VG.

[SIZE="1"]other possible targets: OLB Kevin Basped - Nevada, OLB Cameron Sheffield - Troy, OLB Lindsey Whitten - UConn, OLB Daniel Te’o-Nesheim - Washington, OLB Greg Middleton - Indiana[/SIZE]

round 6: [SIZE="3"][B]RB Lonyae Miller - [COLOR="navy"][COLOR="Red"]Fresno State[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

why: Thomas Jones is gone, they need someone to backup Greene. Hopefully this player has a mix of both speed and power.

[SIZE="1"]other possible targets: RB Stefon Johnson - Southern California, RB Joique Bell - Wayne State, RB James Starks - Buffalo, RB Andre Dixon - UConn [/size]

round 7: [SIZE="3"][B]FB John Conner - [COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Kentucky[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

why: because he said he'd be back. seriously Richardson is probably gone or retired, the Jets need a thumper fullback.

[SIZE="1"]other possible targets: FB Manase Tonga - BYU, FB Cory Jackson - Maryland, FR Richie Brockel - Boise State, FB Matt Klapp - Oklahoma, FB Tim Tebow - Florida (just kidding).[/size]

Other Needs not addressed during the draft: Punter, 3rd TE, OT depth, ILB depth.
    Last edited by bitonti; 03-10-2010 at 01:23 PM.

I wouldn't complain. I like Cook.

All Pro
    Love it! Getting Carrington and Coleman at those spots would be a big time haul... I would propably replace Cook with Reshad Jones or some other safety but still nice work...

my thoughts:

- jets won't take a wr in round 1 after using 2 picks on braylon and devoting the entire 2009 draft to fix the offense.

- i do not believe carrington lasts until the 4th round.

- rex's influence on the defense will shape this draft.

Does Williams have a 1st round grade? A couple of draft sights have him mid-2nd or worse.

I like the mock though I might go for D. Thomas over Williams. Another factor that I think is over played is the 'he had chemistry in college bit.' It won't take long to try and establish that in the pros for any WR and QB if they work at it. Also that was the big thing they talked about in every Bears game last year, Cutler and Earl Bennett and that didn't work out that well.

Williams is way more of a first round WR than Thomas. More polished...healthier...Thomas is a developmental WR prospect and I think his stock is publically higher than it is league-wide. Not that he isn't a really nice talent, it's that this draft is loaded and he's a project more than he is a finished product.

Bit, what are your thoughts on James Starks?

IMO, Starks provides the perfect ballance for the Jets at RB. Although a bit taller than you would want in a RB and does have a tendancy to run high, he can run between the tackles, has breakaway ability (although I dont know if his speed is enough at the next level - wouldve liked to see him run a 40), and can catch out of the backfeild. It seems like he would be the perfect guy to have in case of injury to greene or leon (if back).

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3521247]Williams is way more of a first round WR than Thomas. More polished...healthier...Thomas is a developmental WR prospect and I think his stock is publically higher than it is league-wide. Not that he isn't a really nice talent, it's that this draft is loaded and he's a project more than he is a finished product.[/QUOTE]

Agreed

I'm not as big on Thomas as others are. The guy needs to work on A LOT of things. Great size and potential, but very raw. The only receivers I wouldn't mind at #29 are Williams and Tate.

Williams preferably.

I think Carrington goes in the 2nd, MAYBE 3rd. Otherwise, not bad.

Its funny. I don't think williams is a first round talent, but thomas likely is.

I think williams could get pretty far down in rd two actually.

[QUOTE=Darth Vader;3521269]Its funny. I don't think williams is a first round talent, but thomas likely is.

I think williams could get pretty far down in rd two actually.[/QUOTE]

i think the jets will take a guy like hughes or odrick in the first round and then see who drops on their board in round 2. that's where tanny may be able to trade up for a guy like williams if he believes the value is there, though i think the pick would be better used for a cb.

[QUOTE=gangGREENinsider;3521259]I think Carrington goes in the 2nd, MAYBE 3rd. Otherwise, not bad.[/QUOTE]

the problem with a "1 team only" mock is that you tend to put guys that should be going in higher rounds on your team... unless you map out every pick of every round it's not really accurate... tried to combat that with "other possible targets" so if you think Carrington is gone, maybe they draft CJ Wilson.

also RE: James Starks, I like him, but he might go before round 6. He was another possible target.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3521292]the problem with a "1 team only" mock is that you tend to put guys that should be going in higher rounds on your team... [B]unless you map out every pick of every round it's not really accurate... tried to combat that with "other possible targets" so if you think Carrington is gone,[/B] maybe they draft CJ Wilson.

also RE: James Starks, I like him, but he might go before round 6. He was another possible target.[/QUOTE]

I actually do that in my mock drafts for the jets. I map out picks for the 1st few rounds exactly as I think they might go and then I just fill in numbers on my spreadsheet until it gets to the Jets next pick. Guys rated higher than Jets I consider gone.

I gave carrington to NE, figuring they may even reach.a little in desperation. As result, I took cj wilson in the 5th.