Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: " Winners and losers from the first week of free agency " jets are #1 ? ? ?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3521836]seriously ken

If you want to focus on really terrible defensive backs on a team, you need to look closer at your own declining backyard

and mainejet

you need to relax

Cro for Sheppard and Smith for Rhodes taken together is a HUGE upgrade for what was one of the better secondaries in the league already.

not to mention that it is still 5 weeks away from the draft, free agency has just begun and guys like Pool and others are probably on the horizon to make things even better[/QUOTE]

Yes, Patfanken is completely out of his mind. But that would be like me trying to tell you about the Pats. Sure, I have an opinion, but i didn't watch all 20+ games from pre season on.

Patfan talks about Cro's last two years. Well, then what about KR? Kerry Rhodes had the same history. Great 2007, and then goodbye!

And how does losing KR, who had almost no stats that mattered last year, actually hurt us? Did anyone notice a difference when E.Smith started last year? I didn't. And I sure noticed DIggs getting a lot more playing time.

That being said, the JEts, once again, which is why Tanny is the best, have taken care of there most glaring need before the draft. Now they can sit back and really fill out their roster.

That is why no one on this board has any clue who the Jets are taking. IT's b/c they don't have to take anyone.

And, please save me the bs about belli might whiff on one of his 2nd round picks. Look at his recent draft history. YOu'd be lucky if he don't whiff on all of them like he did in 2006 - 2008. (with the exception of Mayo)

One good player in 3 drafts? Hmmmmm.:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=One Eye;3521853]
    That is why no one on this board has any clue who the Jets are taking. IT's b/c they don't have to take anyone.

[/QUOTE]

... BAP at DE,DT,OLB :rockon: ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2;3521718]When exactly is the First Week of Free Agency Championship Trophy presented?[/QUOTE]
    [URL="http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/Products/Misc%2520Art/R%2520and%2520R%2520Games/rrg_youmustbeanidiot.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coolstuffinc.com/main_boardGame.php%3FviewType%3DR%2520and%2520R%2520Games%26info1%3DBoard%2520Games%26info2%3DR%2520and%2520R%2520Games&usg=__Euqkl9hFKZIILXKoia4c41j342c=&h=324&w=400&sz=42&hl=en&start=369&itbs=1&tbnid=sZT0QV3rjfiUxM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Di%2Btell%2Byou%2Bare%2Ban%2Bidiot%26start%3D357%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D21%26tbs%3Disch:1"][IMG]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:sZT0QV3rjfiUxM:http://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/Products/Misc%2520Art/R%2520and%2520R%2520Games/rrg_youmustbeanidiot.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3521776]^ I didn't say I loved the trade, now did I :rolleyes: It's a moderate risk/potentially big reward move.

Seriously, I'd be worried about your own team, the Pats have done nothing to improve last year's squad, the one that got completely embarrassed in the Wild Card round. At home.

Swung and missed on Peppers. Swung and missed on Boldin.

ONE single acquisition, Marques Murrell. And minus Wes Welker.[/QUOTE]

Fells the TE also left them at the alter. Pats cheap ways are league known. Players will play for less for a championship, Pats won't be playing for a championship again for a long, long, time. By the time all these picks they have learn how to play BBs system Brady will be retired sipping Margaritas with Giselle, while Sanchez & the Jets are kicking them to the bottom of the AFC east where they belong.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3521822]It was a horrible game no doubt. A game where everything that could go wrong DID, especially in that first quarter when we fell behind 24-0. But if Jet fans are taking one BAD game as an indication of how good or bad a team is, the how good is your defense REALLY, if it was capable of giving up over 30 points in a single half. You can't claim one without the other.

Now I see the Jets defense as being challenging to the Pats regardless who is opposite Revis. But you have as many holes to fill as the Pats (OLB, S, RB, WR) In fact you might have MORE holes to fill than the Pats, but that is for a more detailed discussion at a later date....say closer to the draft.

BTW- we might have swung and missed on Peppers, (and I was outspoken in the fact I didn't think the Pats would pay enough to get, or he'd be worth what he'd get) but we never went after Boldin, and Murrell was a special teams acquisition, or camp fodder, depending on your opinion.[/QUOTE]

There is some out and out love of Cro and the deal, but for the most part, I think most reasonable people here see it for what it is....a decent risk/reward shot, as Buzz described it. If he turns into a total, absolute bust, we lose a 3rd rounder next year. That hurts, as you should be able to turn a 3rd rounder into a decent player >50% of the time, but its definitely worth the chance. He's clearly better than Sheppard and, so often, guys need a change of scenery. The Pats have capitalized on the change of scenery strategy several times (Dillon, Moss, etc.), so I think you are fully familiar with the super-talented player who is disgruntled for whatever reason.

The Jets don't have a real hole at RB. They jettisoned TJ for that exact reason. They need to fill the spot of 3rd string RB, which is probably the easiest thing to do in football, whether its a guy like Ladell Betts (just throwing a name out there) or an UDFA.

We do have a hole at WR. But, at least this year its at #3 WR, not #1. Edwards has a bad case of the dropsies which will hopefully get better, but if he does what he did last year, teams still have to account for him. As a defense, you can't let a guy go free hoping he'll drop the ball. Its no coincidence that the Jets running game improved when he came here. And as far as OLB, we don't really have a need there. We have the two starters plus Westerman and Gholston. We'll leave Gholston out of this discussion (I just had breakfast), but Westerman was a very impressive player last year. He "got" it at a very early stage. The game will only slow down for him.

Overall, like every team, the Jets have some holes to fill, but they are in a pretty good position going into the draft.

Edit: Forgot safety. We have a big hole there. Put me down as someone who did not like the Rhodes trade. At all. I'll withhold judgment on the move to see what we ultimately have at that spot, but in my mind, we created a hole where we didn't have one, similar to what we did with Pete Kendall. At least now we have some time to find a replacement, and hopefully we do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3521836]mainejet you need to relax[/QUOTE]

Whose not relaxed? I'm just stating facts. Are they not facts?

Is it not the most important offseason in recent memory?

Are we not on the cusp of greatness?

Do you want to win a SB as much as I do?

With all of the above questions to be answered, maybe if Tanny got his panties in a bunch, that would be a good thing?

Yes, there's a lot more offseason to go through. But thus far, this team is decidedly worse than last season already.

I'm hoping for things to turn good...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3521600]What if I told you Eric Smith started for the Jets at FS last year? Is that something you'd be interested in?[/QUOTE]

What do you think you're telling me something I didn't already know?

I want Eric Smith on my team, I just don't want him as my starter. Not good enough, IMHO...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    disagree

cro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sheppard

pool and a 4 and 7>>>>>>>>>>rhodes

the only negative -- a really small one IMO is the loss of a backup running back who will be possibly replaced with better by the end of this week

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3522830]disagree

cro>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>sheppard

pool and a 4 and 7>>>>>>>>>>rhodes

the only negative -- a really small one IMO is the loss of a backup running back who will be possibly replaced with better by the end of this week[/QUOTE]

Cro is better than Sheppard, but that's NOT saying a whole lot.

Pool is nothing more than a band-aid (nothing more than an injury riddled player who we can HOPE will last for us) and lets see what that 4th rounder turns into before we start singing praises...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    today before making a single pick

Cro is better than Sheppard

and

Pool and the picks are better than Mr Softie

not to mention that the 7 million we saved on the backup running back position can be put to good use in locking up core players this season

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3523054]today before making a single pick

and

not to mention that the 7 million we saved on the backup running back position can be put to good use in locking up core players this season[/QUOTE]

Agreed 100% - great attitude and the truth.

There will probably be another signing or two of note. Then there will be the draft and the camp invites to the diamonds in the rough.

Count on Tannenbaum to make the most of it. We are so lucky to have a GM who is perfectly in sync with his coach and who is aggressive without being foolish.

Still, patience is a virtue. Leon will probably leave, we'll probably get a new signing or two in the next week. People will be angry about the "holes in the roster". No doubt there will be a hole or two by time the draft begins. The only time I'd ever panic is the night before opening day. Like Mr. T says, for the Jets, scouting is a year-round thing. Some people are signed late in training camp too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3523054]today before making a single pick

and

not to mention that the 7 million we saved on the backup running back position can be put to good use in locking up core players this season[/QUOTE]
    exactly.

i hope our fo will be able to continue upgrading our roster & our draft options :rockon:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    fyi :

Jets run game
    How will LaDainian Tomlinson fit into the Jets run game? NFL Total Access takes it to the field.

> [url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d816fd24a/Jets-run-game[/url]