Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " Winners and losers from the first week of free agency " jets are #1 ? ? ?

Hall Of Fame

" Winners and losers from the first week of free agency " jets are #1 ? ? ?

Winners and losers from the first week of free agency
    By Vic Carucci | NFL.com

> [url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d816d8906&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true[/url]

Sports Illustrated had as in the middle, not a positive or a negative first weekend of Free Agency, just average. Depends on how Cro rebounds in NY, which you can't really argue with.

I love articles like that...signed "Homer" Baddniss III

I guess getting 50% at the other corner spot was important enough for Rex to want to go and get Cromartie.

Remember, he hates pussies that shy away from contact, ie Kerry Rhodes, Antonio Cromartie, etc..

So he traded away Rhodes because he didn't like to hit people. THEN, he goes and gets a guy who LOVES to play man coverage (I know that, I get it), but HATES tackling.

So honestly, WHAT have we gained? NO ONE is going to tell me we are better off having Eric Smith starting at FS. So what gives?

Because I've never had any reason not to trust what Rex is doing, I'll stay on board with the moves that have been made thus far. All the while, wondering if this will come out in the wash.

This is w/o a doubt the MOST important offseason Tanny has ever been through. We are on the cusp of greatness. We could easily win the SB next season, given a good offseason.

However, as of right now, we are NO better than we were last season. Which for every fan that desperately wants to win the SB, that just isn't good enough...

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3521568]NO ONE is going to tell me we are better off having Eric Smith starting at FS. So what gives?
    [/QUOTE]

What if I told you Eric Smith started for the Jets at FS last year? Is that something you'd be interested in?

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3521568]I guess getting 50% at the other corner spot was important enough for Rex to want to go and get Cromartie.

Remember, he hates pussies that shy away from contact, ie Kerry Rhodes, Antonio Cromartie, etc..

So he traded away Rhodes because he didn't like to hit people. THEN, he goes and gets a guy who LOVES to play man coverage (I know that, I get it), but HATES tackling.

So honestly, WHAT have we gained? NO ONE is going to tell me we are better off having Eric Smith starting at FS. So what gives?

Because I've never had any reason not to trust what Rex is doing, I'll stay on board with the moves that have been made thus far. All the while, wondering if this will come out in the wash.

This is w/o a doubt the MOST important offseason Tanny has ever been through. We are on the cusp of greatness. We could easily win the SB next season, given a good offseason.

However, as of right now, we are NO better than we were last season. Which for every fan that desperately wants to win the SB, that just isn't good enough...[/QUOTE]

You are a passionate fan. You want results now.

I can't fault either of those things.

But patience is a virtue in the offseason.

By the first game, this roster will be QUITE different than it is right now.

There will be more FA signings, maybe a trade, there will be the draft, and there will be the camp invites where one or two people make the final cut.

Patience, grasshopper. :yes:

the best first day of free agency? not even close in my opinion. who the f*ck is going to replace jones? are the jets really going to rely on a rookie who played well for 1/2 a season and a guy who is coming off major leg surgery? they better have a plan B, because i just don't see greene leading the rushing attack.

[QUOTE=gpers75;3521638]the best first day of free agency? not even close in my opinion. who the f*ck is going to replace jones? are the jets really going to rely on a rookie who played well for 1/2 a season and a guy who is coming off major leg surgery? they better have a plan B, because i just don't see greene leading the rushing attack.[/QUOTE]

Deep draft for RB's. The jets can take a RB with their 6th rd pick and he will contribute right away.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I like the Cromartie trade, didn't like losing Jones, didn't like losing Wallace Wright, waiting on the Rhodes trade to see what we do with the picks and who ends up replacing him. As of right now, I can't say we have a better roster.

That said, the defense will be in year 2 of using Rex's system and I'm confident that we'll see the Sanchez from the 2009 playoffs in the 2010 regular season.

And then we've got the draft, where Tannenbaum has a terrific record. We need to hit on both of our first two picks though. A receiver and either a defensive back or defensive lineman.

When exactly is the First Week of Free Agency Championship Trophy presented?

[QUOTE=FF2;3521718]When exactly is the First Week of Free Agency Championship Trophy presented?[/QUOTE]

You're living in the past. The Pats have NO pass rush and Brady's shoulder is finished. 9-7 may be too much for even the cheater Belicheat to achieve. The Pats were the team of 2000-2010 but they are no longer a factor. :yes:

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3521696]I like the Cromartie trade, didn't like losing Jones, didn't like losing Wallace Wright, waiting on the Rhodes trade to see what we do with the picks and who ends up replacing him. As of right now, I can't say we have a better roster.

That said, the defense will be in year 2 of using Rex's system and I'm confident that we'll see the Sanchez from the 2009 playoffs in the 2010 regular season.

And then we've got the draft, where Tannenbaum has a terrific record. We need to hit on both of our first two picks though. A receiver and either a defensive back or defensive lineman.[/QUOTE]

I still don't know why you are so in love with Cromartie. He basically had 9 good games in 2007 against QBs who weren't starting caliber and has done NOTHING since. To much has been made about Cromartie's whine about not playing man to man enough. Sounds more like an excuse than reasonable complaint. All NFL teams have their CBs play a significant amount of man to man or man to man hybrids. Most good CBs make most of their big plays playing in zones where they can "jump patterns". Assante Samuel struggled in man to man, yet has been a big play player with 2 teams now. In fact that great one handed catch Cromartie makes his UTube highlight film was him dropping off a short zone coverage to get underneath the receiver and make a spectacular catch.

As Billy Shakespeare once said (and I paraphrase) "Me thinks he doth protested too much". The down side is that he has done nothing to distinguish himself over the last 2 full season. His 30 tackles is an embarrassment - His 9 passes defended is even worse. And he compounded this by amassing those sorry stats in the worse division in football.

On the plus side, he got great size, he didn't cost much in picks and salary. AND he will be playing for his next contract. That being said, those pluses are going to have overcome 2 full years of minuses

As for Sanchez.....while Brady's stats were better in 2002, his overall play was much more inconsistent than his first year where he was tightly reigned in. It might not be the same with Sanchez, but you should be aware that a QBs development is not always a straight line.

And as for Tannenbaum, he HAS been known to make some mistakes....they ALL do. I assume BB will whiff on one of his picks in the first 2 rounds...but then again he has 4 of them :D

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

^ I didn't say I loved the trade, now did I :rolleyes: It's a moderate risk/potentially big reward move.

Seriously, I'd be worried about your own team, the Pats have done nothing to improve last year's squad, the one that got completely embarrassed in the Wild Card round. At home.

Swung and missed on Peppers. Swung and missed on Boldin.

ONE single acquisition, Marques Murrell. And minus Wes Welker.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JetsFanInSec230;3521538]Sports Illustrated had as in the middle, not a positive or a negative first weekend of Free Agency, just average. Depends on how Cro rebounds in NY, which you can't really argue with.[/QUOTE]

Other than you cans say "depends on how blah, blah, blah works out" for every team, every move made every offseason.

All League
    weird. Does not add up. we have only added 1 FA (Folk). we lost 3 FA's (Feely, Murrell, Wright). we signed one of our own FA (Harstock)

Cromartie, Rhodes and TJ, not free-agent related. should not count in the FA grades.

All Pro
    Cro and Kerry's pansiness don't cancel out be because of the positions they play. A cb can do a great job and be a pansy, a safety can't. Cro is soft but if he can hold down his side of the field then any run support is gravy.

Practice Squad
    good post

All League
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3521776]^ I didn't say I loved the trade, now did I :rolleyes: It's a moderate risk/potentially big reward move.

Seriously, I'd be worried about your own team, the Pats have done nothing to improve last year's squad, the one that got completely embarrassed in the Wild Card round. At home.

Swung and missed on Peppers. Swung and missed on Boldin.

ONE single acquisition, Marques Murrell. And minus Wes Welker.[/QUOTE]

It was a horrible game no doubt. A game where everything that could go wrong DID, especially in that first quarter when we fell behind 24-0. But if Jet fans are taking one BAD game as an indication of how good or bad a team is, the how good is your defense REALLY, if it was capable of giving up over 30 points in a single half. You can't claim one without the other.

Now I see the Jets defense as being challenging to the Pats regardless who is opposite Revis. But you have as many holes to fill as the Pats (OLB, S, RB, WR) In fact you might have MORE holes to fill than the Pats, but that is for a more detailed discussion at a later date....say closer to the draft.

BTW- we might have swung and missed on Peppers, (and I was outspoken in the fact I didn't think the Pats would pay enough to get, or he'd be worth what he'd get) but we never went after Boldin, and Murrell was a special teams acquisition, or camp fodder, depending on your opinion.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=patsfanken;3521772]I still don't know why you are so in love with Cromartie. He basically had 9 good games in 2007 against QBs who weren't starting caliber and has done NOTHING since. [/QUOTE]

Hes shown Pro-bowl potential and is an athletic freak, has great hands and loves man to man. And hes paired with Revis. I cant off the top of my head think of any #2 recievers that are better than him except for Welker and Owens if he goes to Cincy.

Hes not a great talker. Revis is so they may attack him but thats nothing Rex Ryan cant handle.

Point is if he plays mediocre its still an upgrade.

Jets Insider VIP
    seriously ken

If you want to focus on really terrible defensive backs on a team, you need to look closer at your own declining backyard

and mainejet

you need to relax

Cro for Sheppard and Smith for Rhodes taken together is a HUGE upgrade for what was one of the better secondaries in the league already.

not to mention that it is still 5 weeks away from the draft, free agency has just begun and guys like Pool and others are probably on the horizon to make things even better