Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Viewing JI via Tapatalk for iPhone, Droid and Blackberry

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Just wondering, what is the possibility we can get this set up? I'm sure it's not the easiest but wondered if maybe something was in the works. It'd be sweet to have that option on the train home, or at some point at a game to type in or browse for a sec.
    Thanks!
    Ha ha ha. It'll set Sean back about $20,000 for the development and deployment not to mention the hosting. The problem is that while every iPhone and Android operating system is the same and compatible, every Blackberry is different and every carrier is different. It's not something that can "just be set up". It's a major, major initiative with major workload and expense. Blackberry Bold is different than Blackberry Storm. Blackberry Verizon is different than Blackberry ATT. It's a mess.

Get an iPhone. Blackberries suck.

SAR I

Veteran
    I had a feeling this would not be cheap, oh well just curious.

As for the Android comments, I agree I have seen how much better the browser is. It probably won't be around much longer though, Steve Jobs took those guys to international trade court

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Ha ha ha. It'll set Sean back about $20,000 for the development and deployment not to mention the hosting. The problem is that while every iPhone and Android operating system is the same and compatible, every Blackberry is different and every carrier is different. It's not something that can "just be set up". It's a major, major initiative with major workload and expense. Blackberry Bold is different than Blackberry Storm. Blackberry Verizon is different than Blackberry ATT. It's a mess.

Get an iPhone. Blackberries suck.

SAR I
    I'm not sure what kinds of code changes this forum has made, but many forum script management and other various content management scripts out there offer addons or relatively simple code changes to make the site more mobile compatible.

Its not like the site would have to be redesigned from the ground up. Sure, if you want it to be an "app" for each smartphone out there, or even have it molded specifically to each phone screen (resolution and screen size etc) it may require that. But for most scripts it is not hard to make a website mobile friendly when visited by a mobile phone, for example all images can be automatically removed when using an Iphone or Blackberry, etc.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GreekMooMan View Post
    I'm not sure what kinds of code changes this forum has made, but many forum script management and other various content management scripts out there offer addons or relatively simple code changes to make the site more mobile compatible.

Its not like the site would have to be redesigned from the ground up. Sure, if you want it to be an "app" for each smartphone out there, or even have it molded specifically to each phone screen (resolution and screen size etc) it may require that. But for most scripts it is not hard to make a website mobile friendly when visited by a mobile phone, for example all images can be automatically removed when using an Iphone or Blackberry, etc.
    Thing is, a discussion forum is less of a "web page" and more of an "application". If all one wanted to do is read JI, yes, Sean could alter the script for each device using a user detection agent. But as you know, it's the interaction and posting content that is half the fun here and that can't be done easily on a non-robust device like a Blackberry. And, as I said earlier, almost every Blackberry has a different UI and almost every Blackberry carrier has a different operating system. You literally have to design something for every combination of Blackberry and carrier and that won't work.

iPhone. That's the answer. If internet is more important to you than email, it's the only choice.

SAR I

iPhone. That's the answer. If internet is more important to you than email, it's the only choice.

SAR I
    There lies the problem. Now if only some of the geniuses (geniei?) in the world would be able to have both work effeciently on one device!

sadly, the browser is probably the worst part of the blackberry. what you need to do is download bolt. boltbrowser.com i believe or just google it. this will become your native browser and then you can access JI or any other full version of websites. it is quite fast and you can get the full site, post and reply, etc!!

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    sadly, the browser is probably the worst part of the blackberry. what you need to do is download bolt. boltbrowser.com i believe or just google it. this will become your native browser and then you can access JI or any other full version of websites. it is quite fast and you can get the full site, post and reply, etc!!

it works well with Blackberry?!?!?

Veteran
    Thing is, a discussion forum is less of a "web page" and more of an "application". If all one wanted to do is read JI, yes, Sean could alter the script for each device using a user detection agent. But as you know, it's the interaction and posting content that is half the fun here and that can't be done easily on a non-robust device like a Blackberry. And, as I said earlier, almost every Blackberry has a different UI and almost every Blackberry carrier has a different operating system. You literally have to design something for every combination of Blackberry and carrier and that won't work.

SAR I
    I would say the interaction is obviously most of the fun here, but if I didn't want the graphics during a commute or a quick look from the game or tailgate, and just wanted to post something in a discussion and be quick, mobile browser access would be necessary, and although the iPhone is a cool toy, a lot of professionals are stuck with Berries because they have them from work. I personally don't want to have 2 phones on me...they get in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

bolt? very well with a curve

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    I would say the interaction is obviously most of the fun here, but if I didn't want the graphics during a commute or a quick look from the game or tailgate, and just wanted to post something in a discussion and be quick, mobile browser access would be necessary, and although the iPhone is a cool toy, a lot of professionals are stuck with Berries because they have them from work. I personally don't want to have 2 phones on me...they get in the way.
    The iPhone's native email client is superior to Blackberry in every way except one: The physical keyboard. Give the touch keyboard a try. Works well for me.

SAR I

All League
    Frankiep, huge call!!
    This is my first time posting to JI from my Curve.
    Bolt is definitely the answer.
    Thanks bud!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Al Woodall Rocks! View Post
    Frankiep, huge call!!
    This is my first time posting to JI from my Curve.
    Bolt is definitely the answer.
    Thanks bud!!
    AHHHH I'm giddy with enthusiasm...can't wait to go home and try this!! awesome call frankie

since the message board is a vBulletin message board i believe the app BerryBlab will work for veiwing the forum. I used it for Crackberry and BBhybrids and it works great. I know there is a fee of about five dollars to download the app but I'm now sure if it needs to be installed on the forum.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDez View Post
    since the message board is a vBulletin message board i believe the app BerryBlab will work for veiwing the forum. I used it for Crackberry and BBhybrids and it works great. I know there is a fee of about five dollars to download the app but I'm now sure if it needs to be installed on the forum.
    That's a solid first post if you're right

Forum admin has to install berry blab to work. I just got an error message.

Jets Insider VIP
    Images
    SAR, you should stick to giving bad advice about consumer electronics.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    SAR, you should stick to giving bad advice about consumer electronics.
    Sort of hard to do being in the industry and all.

SAR I

Quote Originally Posted by Stronso View Post
    The gang green.com uses a thing called tapatalk for iPhone and I guess other types of browsers.

MetsRefugees.com has a setting where you can change it to mobile while on your phone and itworks great
    Tapatalk would be wonderful! I just got the Incredible, and tapatalk is the fastest and easiest way to view forums.

Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    Tapatalk would be wonderful! I just got the Incredible, and tapatalk is the fastest and easiest way to view forums.
    I'm surfing JI on my iPhone and got the tapatalk message...I'm thinking of downloading it, seems like a really cool app.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
    Posted from my Blackberry riding a ferry from St. John back to St. Thomas.
    Red Stripe or Tennant's Milk Stout?