Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rex has scheduled proceedure (not serious)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    as long as he stays at FP he has all that stuff. And being a HC means he stays there 16 hours a day, 11 months a year or so.

However the danger occurs if he is making Dunkin Donuts stops going home at night and coming back in the morning

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3526529]One major advantage for Rex is he is surrounded by trainers, a weight room, a cafeteria that should have any type of healthy food needed for his new diet, and countless health professionals should he need any.[/QUOTE]

But one of the disadvantages is that as an NFL coach, he works 18 hour days, eats at his desk and probably doesn't have time to make use of those great facilities that are so close by.

As an NFL coach though, you are at least somewhat active. He's not running windsprints with the players, but he is on his feet a good amount of time at practice moving about. That's better than most of us who sit behind a desk.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3526540]But one of the disadvantages is that as an NFL coach, he works 18 hour days, eats at his desk and probably doesn't have time to make use of those great facilities that are so close by.

As an NFL coach though, you are at least somewhat active. He's not running windsprints with the players, but he is on his feet a good amount of time at practice moving about. That's better than most of us who sit behind a desk.[/QUOTE]

True. But he can squeeze in some sort of 30 minute workout. He doesn't have to go get in his car and drive to the gym like most of us.

He can also have the Florham Park chefs prepare his meals to eat at his desk.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;3525233]I feel it's my duty to mention that Mangini went downhill fast when he got skinnier.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;3525639]Think about it, our best coaches were fatsos; Weeb, Parcells, Fat Mangini (not skinny Mangini), and Rex. I want a fat Jet coach. I would fatten him up, figure another 100lbs and we get to the Super Bowl.[/QUOTE]

A couple of "Debbi Downers"

:confused:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3525179]Is there something similar for penis so I'm not horny all the time?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Why, you have a video library of Matt Leinart?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan has lost about 20 pounds since ballooning to 348 last season. Docs say he can lose more than 100...

Ryan was prohibited from eating solid food for several days before the surgery, but said he slipped in a "couple of real good last meals."

Will be writing about Rex Ryan's weight loss surgery in tomorrow's Newsday ... one interesting tidbit: He was NOT at dinner w/ LT last wknd.

[url]http://twitter.com/BobGlauber[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

This is just f'n ridiculous. Are you kidding me??

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/21/rex-ryan-talks-about-his-weight-loss-surgery/[/url]
    [QUOTE]"Because my stomach is going to be probably one-tenth its size, I'm going to have to chew my food like crazy," Ryan said. "There's ways of cheating the thing, but I don't plan on doing it. It's still going to take some kind of discipline to get it done."

[B]But, frankly, if Ryan had discipline, he wouldn't have gotten so big. And he also would have been able to lose the weight without having a doctor cut him open and but a big rubber band around a fairly critical internal organ in the hopes of making Ryan feel full at a time in the feeding process much earlier that he ordinarily would.

So how does a guy who has been unable to demonstrate discipline expect 53 men to discipline themselves when it comes to diet and exercise? It's a great question, and it's apparently a gift that is possessed only by those who have the world by the you-know-whats.[/B][/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1 on him staying fat. He should do that. It makes him much more "man of the people." That said, if we get Cody he should race Cody to see who can drop the most weight by camp and then regular season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some great info here.

------------------------------------------------------

[url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_ryan_speaks_about_lap_band_5IttnCX7Yh3DcEx2YtkYzJ[/url]

ORLANDO, Fla. ó Rex Ryan was thinking of his family, not himself, when the Jetsí portly coach decided to have lap-band weight loss surgery earlier this month.

Making his first public appearance since the procedure, Ryan told reporters here today at the NFLís annual meeting that he knew his ballooning weight had put his health on a slippery slope and jeopardized all his hard work.

ďIíve got everything right now,Ē a slightly leaner-looking Ryan said, relaxing on a hotel lobby couch. ďI mean, Iíve got the world by the you-know-whats. Itís unbelievable. Everything that Iíve ever wanted in my life -- great family, healthy family. Iím financially [set].

ďIím doing exactly what I want to do, which is coaching in the National Football League. And Iím a head coach in the National Football League. ... But if you donít have your health, you donít have nothing. I want to be around and enjoy my kids, see my grandkids.Ē

Ryan, who underwent the previously undisclosed operation March 13 at NYU Medical Center, revealed today that he weighed 338 pounds on the operating table and had lost 20 pounds -- down to 317 -- in the two weeks since.

Doctors told Ryan he should expect to lose 5-to-10 pounds a week, and the Jetsí 47-year-old sideline boss has set 250 pounds as his target goal. Ryan said he hasnít weighed 250 since 1995, when he was in his second year as an assistant with the Cardinals.

ďTwo-fifty would be great for me,Ē Ryan said. ďI would love to be 250. That would be a hundred pounds [lost], but they actually think I can lose more than that.Ē

Ryan said by the time the procedure takes full effect, his stomach will be just one-tenth its previous size.

ďBecause my stomach is going to be probably one-tenth its size, Iím going to have to chew my food like crazy,Ē he said. ďThereís ways of cheating the thing, but I donít plan on doing it. Itís still going to take some kind of discipline to get it done. But I like the fact that I can eat whatever food I want. That was big.Ē

Ryan revealed several other details of what prompted the surgery, which came with the full back of the Jets and team owner Woody Johnson.

The coach said he mulled lap-band surgery -- which places a band around the uppermost part of the stomach to restrict intake -- for the past five years and considered having it during the Jetsí bye week last season.

Ryan put it off, though, worried that complications might prevent him from coaching the latter half of what proved to be a surprise run to the AFC title game by Gang Green.

Ryan still hadnít decided on the surgery after the season, choosing instead to attend the famed diet center at Duke University to get counseling that might change his eating habits.

The Duke visit, which was paid for by the Jets, explains why Ryan was in Raleigh, N.C., for an NHL game that resulted in the infamous photo of his flabby, pre-op gut that drew national headlines.

What finally prompted Ryan to have the surgery was a meeting with former NFL offensive lineman Jamie Dukes -- a recipient of the same surgery six years ago -- at the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_ryan_speaks_about_lap_band_5IttnCX7Yh3DcEx2YtkYzJ#ixzz0isIJC3U3[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;3533515]What finally prompted Ryan to have the surgery was a meeting with former NFL offensive lineman Jamie Dukes -- a recipient of the same surgery six years ago -- at the scouting combine in Indianapolis last month.[/QUOTE]

never knew/noticed dukes had the surgery...

[IMG]http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/cms/15453/jamiedukesba.jpg[/IMG]

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3526170]Thanks for sharing BUD and congrats -- I respect that you took change into your own hands.

BTW, how long did it take before you started shedding the pounds?[/QUOTE]

Actually started 2 weeks before surgery with a liquid diet regime. Lost 29 lbs on that regime and started loosing right away after because you really can't eat much after. You have ti re-train your much smaller stomach to process food. 2 weeks following surgery is liquid diet but at 50% of what you had pre-surgery. Next 2 weeks on a soft food diet (yogurt, soft cheese, soft flaky fish). Gradually you work your self up to eating some dark meat cheicken and eggs. By week 6 more solid food but still in small quantitiy. You can eat about 4 oz of food per meal if you take about 30 to 45 minutes to eat it. Small bites and lots of chewing.

My loss was about 12 lbs per month post surgery. 8 lbs is more common.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bump for a Mod to merge with today's new thread about this topic