Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rex has scheduled proceedure (not serious)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Rex has scheduled proceedure (not serious)

[QUOTE]Rex Ryan in hospital today for "scheduled procedure," Jets say. Back home. No other details, but not believed to be serious.[/QUOTE]

From Cimini:

[url]http://twitter.com/TheJetsStream[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    its a scheduled medical procedure to have Bill Bellichek's head pulled out of Ryan's a$$hole...LOL.
    Last edited by Baddniss; 03-13-2010 at 11:50 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [url]http://www.advancebariatric.com/images/gastricbypass.jpg[/url]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So shouldn't the title say he is out of the hospital??? :confused:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=simijet;3525055][url]http://www.advancebariatric.com/images/gastricbypass.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

the "Charlie Weis" surgery...but then Charlie still kept eating all those donuts...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    It happened over dinner with Ladanian Tomlinson last night. Rex reached for the last roll in the basket at the same time the running back did, accidentally grabbed LT's hand, got a severed finger stuck between his teeth.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like lap band surgery (plus a hernia repair). Good for Rex!!!!

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/13/2010-03-13_band_on_the_tum_jets_coach_has_surgery_to_trim_lbs.html?r=sports%2Ffootball%2Fjets&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fjets+%28Sports%2FFootball%2FJets%29[/url]

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan loses stomach for obesity and undergoes lap-band procedure
    BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, March 14th 2010, 4:00 AM

Keivom/NewsNew York Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who weighed 340 pounds at the start of last season, is released after undergoing lap-band surgery. Related NewsDoctors recommend universal screening due to prevalence of colorectal cancerRihanna hasn't paid her personal trainerKnicks running on all cylinders in Pistons routParents win approval to have disabled 11-year-old daughter undergo sterilization by hysterectomyA painless guide to anesthesia Jets coach Rex Ryan has always been as big as his boasts, but he might not have the stomach for it anymore.

In an effort to fight his obesity, Ryan underwent weight-loss surgery Saturday at NYU Medical Center, the Daily News has learned.

A scheduled lap-band procedure was performed on Ryan, team spokesman Bruce Speight said Saturday night.

Ryan, 47, who weighed 340 pounds at the start of last season, was released after the morning surgery and returned to his home in New Jersey, Speight said.

Ryan, who also had a hernia repaired while in the hospital, was unavailable for comment.

The surgery entails placing an adjustable gastric band around the upper part of the stomach. It makes the stomach smaller so it holds less food. Eventually, the appetite decreases, leading to weight loss.

There is no cutting or stapling of the stomach, and the surgery is reversible.

The colorful Ryan, who led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in his first season as a head coach, has talked openly about his weight problem.

He weighed 310 pounds when he was hired by the Jets in January 2009, but by the time the team reported for training camp in late July, he had ballooned to 340, he said.

"You're always concerned," Ryan said at the time. "I want to see my kids grow, I want to see my grandkids. The thing that gets me is, my cholesterol is fine, my blood pressure is fine. I'm a genetic freak, I guess."

Ryan is married with two kids.

The outspoken coach spent Friday night dining with members of the Jets' organization in Bedminster, N.J., where he entertained star free-agent running back LaDainian Tomlinson on a recruiting visit.

[email]rcimini@nydailynews.com[/email]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3525120]Looks like lap band surgery (plus a hernia repair). Good for Rex!!!!

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/03/13/2010-03-13_band_on_the_tum_jets_coach_has_surgery_to_trim_lbs.html?r=sports%2Ffootball%2Fjets&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nydnrss%2Fsports%2Ffootball%2Fjets+%28Sports%2FFootball%2FJets%29[/url]

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan loses stomach for obesity and undergoes lap-band procedure
    BY Rich Cimini
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Sunday, March 14th 2010, 4:00 AM

Keivom/NewsNew York Jets head coach Rex Ryan, who weighed 340 pounds at the start of last season, is released after undergoing lap-band surgery. Related NewsDoctors recommend universal screening due to prevalence of colorectal cancerRihanna hasn't paid her personal trainerKnicks running on all cylinders in Pistons routParents win approval to have disabled 11-year-old daughter undergo sterilization by hysterectomyA painless guide to anesthesia Jets coach Rex Ryan has always been as big as his boasts, but he might not have the stomach for it anymore.

In an effort to fight his obesity, Ryan underwent weight-loss surgery Saturday at NYU Medical Center, the Daily News has learned.

A scheduled lap-band procedure was performed on Ryan, team spokesman Bruce Speight said Saturday night.

Ryan, 47, who weighed 340 pounds at the start of last season, was released after the morning surgery and returned to his home in New Jersey, Speight said.

Ryan, who also had a hernia repaired while in the hospital, was unavailable for comment.

The surgery entails placing an adjustable gastric band around the upper part of the stomach. It makes the stomach smaller so it holds less food. Eventually, the appetite decreases, leading to weight loss.

There is no cutting or stapling of the stomach, and the surgery is reversible.

The colorful Ryan, who led the Jets to the AFC Championship Game in his first season as a head coach, has talked openly about his weight problem.

He weighed 310 pounds when he was hired by the Jets in January 2009, but by the time the team reported for training camp in late July, he had ballooned to 340, he said.

"You're always concerned," Ryan said at the time. "I want to see my kids grow, I want to see my grandkids. The thing that gets me is, my cholesterol is fine, my blood pressure is fine. I'm a genetic freak, I guess."

Ryan is married with two kids.

The outspoken coach spent Friday night dining with members of the Jets' organization in Bedminster, N.J., where he entertained star free-agent running back LaDainian Tomlinson on a recruiting visit.

[email]rcimini@nydailynews.com[/email][/QUOTE]

Good luck Rex! With patience, this will definitely help him reduce his weight to a safer level.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    get well soon, big guy

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jebus. Rex is at least fat!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Best News of this offseason

I actually posted a thread about a month ago saying that Rex's weight was our biggest risk for a great future.

I know a bit about this subject because I had similar surgery myself on October 7th of last year. (actually had the full gastric bypass but they generally don't do that anymore if you are severly obese).

Anyway I went in on a Wednesday was home on Friday morning and back to work on Monday morning. They do these things laprosopically now so the recovery time from the procedure is much shorter that a few years ago.

Bottom line is this:

I went from 285lbs to 180 lbs in a little less than 6 months. (I'm counting from the pre surgery diet which was liquids only for 2 weeks pre-surgery).

He'll be on liquid protein for another 2 weeks post surgery and then slowly graduate to soft foods like yogart, soft eggs and cottage cheese. It'll be about 6 weeks before he'll be able to eat more solid foods like dark meat chicken, soft flaky fish etc.

I'm never hungry and have to make sure that I schedule my 3 daily meals far enough apart to make sure that I can consume about 4 oz of protein per meal. eating protein is important so that you don't loose muscle instead of fat.

You need to do weight bearing excercise at least 4 times per week, which is also in order to preserve you muscle ratio and prevent muscle loss instead of fat loss.

About 5 months in my doctor took me off of my cholesteral meds, my blood pressure meds and my gout meds. My blood sugar ration, which had be on the brink of diabetes is now well withing normal healthy range.

I feel and look better than I have in 20 years. I have 10x the energy now that I'm not lugging around and extra 105 lbs with every step that I take.

GOOD FOR YOU REX! I logged on this morning hoping to see some news about maybe signing LT or extending new contracts to our own key players. But this is better news for the Jets than if I had woken up to news that wee had locked up mangold, Revis and Fergouson for the rest of their careers because we now have our head coaching position secure.

I wish you the best big guy. Just follow the rules and you'll be dancing at your grandchildrens's wedding.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is great news. I love this surgery, safe, effective, easy. I used to assist with these procedures when I was at NYU, expertwas this really cool Australian doc, can't remember his name but bet it's the guy who did Ryan.

This takes care of a legitimate concern I had. I'd still like to see a stress test/echo done but I'm sure Tanny has made sure it's been done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck Rex!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is there something similar for penis so I'm not horny all the time?

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    do they provide anything for someone to change their behavior re: eating with this bariatric stuff or is it just

do the procedure, bill his insurance company for the 50K and then out the door with no help in changing the way he eats?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex was 340 but he is also 6 foot 4...so hes a big mofo

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3525195]do they provide anything for someone to change their behavior re: eating with this bariatric stuff or is it just

do the procedure, bill his insurance company for the 50K and then out the door with no help in changing the way he eats?[/QUOTE]

Someone very close to me had this surgery. It helped, person dropped serious weight BUT if you saw her, you would still describe her as "fat".

Her eating habits are still the same. At dinner recently, she ordered "creme brulette" after a very rich meal. That HAD to be 600 to 800 calries.

So.... while it helps nothing works as well as discipline.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;3525207]Someone very close to me had this surgery. It helped, person dropped serious weight BUT if you saw her, you would still describe her as "fat".

Her eating habits are still the same. At dinner recently, she ordered "creme brulette" after a very rich meal. That HAD to be 600 to 800 calries.

So.... while it helps nothing works as well as discipline.[/QUOTE]

that is disappointing

if he doesn't change his behavior the surgery "band-aid" won't be the final answer IMO

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck, Rex!

Jets coach Rex Ryan has seen enough -- of himself. Ryan underwent lap-band surgery on Saturday at NYU Medical Center to help him fight the battle of the bulge [B]and was relaxing at his New Jersey home Saturday night, team spokesman Bruce Speight told The Associated Press Saturday night[/B].

Ryan weighted 340 pounds when he was hired by the Jets in January 2009 and gained at least 30 pounds last season. The 47-year-old often directed fun at his ample midsection but the final straw may have come last month when cameras caught a shot of his considerable belly when he was changing jerseys during a Florida-Carolina NHL hockey game last month.

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/ny_jets_coach_rex_ryan_has_lap.html[/URL]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel it's my duty to mention that Mangini went downhill fast when he got skinnier.