Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets at the Alabama Pro Day

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    At pick 29, Cody would be a steal.

You wanna say his combine made him slip a bit from mid round 1? Fine. No debate on that here.

But he's a legit NT prospect with the game tape to prove it.

The combine proves he could use an NFL weight training program, but also proves he's motivated enough to lose weight when necessary.

I'll trust Rex and Tannenbaum on this.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    id take tebow too... the scouts nitpick everyone ... winning at the highest levels can't be measured

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, no I was not trying to infer anything about BC. Simply saying the combine has hurt Cody and it helped Mamula. Being a 2-time All-American seems to be a little bit better than a 1-time Big East, no?

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3525592]everyone also knows about cody's problems as well....

mamula average at best??? he had seventeen sacks as a senior at BC after double digit sacks the prior year....that sounds about average...:rolleyes:

btw- are you inferring BC sucked when Mamula played or he somehow didn't help the team??[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    on a college level it does- but it has no bearing on a draft board considering it's subjective voting....

and your point on the combine is correct- the combine will over/under exaggerate a players skills....but it's not just a sh!t combine that's dragging cody down- much does have to do with the fact he's a sh!t athlete but the fact is he was told his weight was an issue one year ago and he did nothing about it....

that's a dangerous intangible when considering to give someone millions of $$$...

[QUOTE=cr726;3525629]Sorry, no I was not trying to infer anything about BC. Simply saying the combine has hurt Cody and it helped Mamula. Being a 2-time All-American seems to be a little bit better than a 1-time Big East, no?[/QUOTE]

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3525619]id take tebow too... the scouts nitpick everyone ... winning at the highest levels can't be measured[/QUOTE]

Winning at the highest level in college a lot of times has very little to do with the prospects future in the pros.

Pat White: 34-8
    Brian Brohm: 24-9
    Colt Brennan: 27-10 (including 12-0 in regular season as a senior)
    Troy Smith: 25-3 (plus Heisman)
    Vince Young: 30-2
    Matt Leinart: 37-2 (plus two National Championships and Heisman)
    David Greene: 42-10
    Joey Harrington: 25-3
    Ken Dorsey 38-2

[B][U]Heisman Winners[/U][/B]
    Jason White
    Eric Crouch
    Chris Weinke
    Danny Wuerffel
    Charlie Ward
    John Torreta
    Andre Ware

By the way this is not to say that winning causes a lack of success, but rather that there is not a huge relation with the prospect's pro potential

Credit walterfootball.com for these lists, the site is excellent for people interested in the draft.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and CBNY so you see nothing in the way of potential from his frame. Idk I feel like if you could get him to pack on muscle and lose fat, he could end up being a 330-350lb nightmare to block up front. Not saying he will ever have the motivation to do so, but I feel like his body has that potential.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3525717]Oh and CBNY so you see nothing in the way of potential from his frame. Idk I feel like if you could get him to pack on muscle and lose fat, he could end up being a 330-350lb nightmare to block up front. Not saying he will ever have the motivation to do so, but I feel like his body has that potential.[/QUOTE]

possibly- but those types of players are not taken in the draft's initial 50 picks...fact is, anyway you cut it his 10yd times, VJ, BJ and short shuttle are disconcerting from an upside point of view...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not in the 1st rd for him. this is a passing league and his two down and off butt is not what we need in the first. we need a DE who can pressure the QB or a beast of an OLB who REX havoc on the opposing offense

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Todd Blackledge :eek:

[QUOTE=TheMo;3525664]Winning at the highest level in college a lot of times has very little to do with the prospects future in the pros.

Pat White: 34-8
    Brian Brohm: 24-9
    Colt Brennan: 27-10 (including 12-0 in regular season as a senior)
    Troy Smith: 25-3 (plus Heisman)
    Vince Young: 30-2
    Matt Leinart: 37-2 (plus two National Championships and Heisman)
    David Greene: 42-10
    Joey Harrington: 25-3
    Ken Dorsey 38-2

[B][U]Heisman Winners[/U][/B]
    Jason White
    Eric Crouch
    Chris Weinke
    Danny Wuerffel
    Charlie Ward
    John Torreta
    Andre Ware

By the way this is not to say that winning causes a lack of success, but rather that there is not a huge relation with the prospect's pro potential

Credit walterfootball.com for these lists, the site is excellent for people interested in the draft.[/QUOTE]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3525798]possibly- but those types of players are not taken in the draft's initial 50 picks...fact is, anyway you cut it his 10yd times, VJ, BJ and short shuttle are disconcerting from an upside point of view...[/QUOTE]

While I agree with you in regard to Cody and believe me, I don't purport to know more about football than you do, I struggle to understand why you're going through hurdles to explain why Cody won't be good through analogies to other players and circumstances which are only slightly related at best. Stick to discussing Cody instead of going of on tangents and if these guys decide to listen then they'll understand.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3526089]While I agree with you in regard to Cody and believe me, I don't purport to know more about football than you do, I struggle to understand why you're going through hurdles to explain why Cody won't be good through analogies to other players and circumstances which are only slightly related at best. Stick to discussing Cody instead of going of on tangents and if these guys decide to listen then they'll understand.[/QUOTE]

He is pointing out trends in the past that hold true for the most part now. If we do not learn from history, we are bound to repeat it.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=operaguy;3526089]While I agree with you in regard to Cody and believe me, I don't purport to know more about football than you do, I struggle to understand why you're going through hurdles to explain why Cody won't be good through analogies to other players and circumstances which are only slightly related at best. Stick to discussing Cody instead of going of on tangents and if these guys decide to listen then they'll understand.[/QUOTE]

there's a saying operaposter, something about if you don't learn from the past...(edit- as stated above...)

the short term discussion is where cody will be drafted next month and where he deserves to be selected....it is impossible to state any case without using examples...previous examples of how players performed in college and in workouts are quite relevant- there's a reason why scouts have specific and detailed ht/wts, body types, test results, etc for each position....like I've stated previously; some people throw darts at a board- some don't....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm torn on Cody, I've been up and down on him since last year. Cody looks like a fat old woman without a shirt, but look at those tree trunks for legs and the long arms... tells me he won't get moved very easily. A tandem of Cody and Jenks together or subbing each other could be devastating to a team's running game. We know we have the pass down pat with Cro and Revis, shoring up the running game on defense would really put a strangle hold on any offense we face. The guy is slower than molasses, but he's a load to handle one on one.

Here's the thing, if Cody decides to get stronger then what?:huh: That's the big question though, will Cody come in and coast or does he have football in his blood?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3526106]there's a saying operaposter, something about if you don't learn from the past...(edit- as stated above...)

the short term discussion is where cody will be drafted next month and where he deserves to be selected....it is impossible to state any case without using examples...previous examples of how players performed in college and in workouts are quite relevant- there's a reason why scouts have specific and detailed ht/wts, body types, test results, etc for each position....like I've stated previously; some people throw darts at a board- some don't....[/QUOTE]

I can see what you're saying especially in the context of player evaluation its just that I worry such a dependence on comparison can get out of hand.
    player x reminds me of player y, player y was a loser player x will be a loser too. Not that it doesn't have a place but I find it limits actual discussion on Cody, probably part of a longer discussion in multiple threads, but found the overdetermination on analogy to diminish your point - one I agree with, not that a forum discussion has to be highly articulate and sophisticated, I guess I came to expect a higher level of argument from you and was a little disappointed is all...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;3525601]At pick 29, Cody would be a steal.

You wanna say his combine made him slip a bit from mid round 1? Fine. No debate on that here.

But he's a legit NT prospect with the game tape to prove it.

The combine proves he could use an NFL weight training program, but also proves he's motivated enough to lose weight when necessary.

I'll trust Rex and Tannenbaum on this.[/QUOTE]

you sir are correct.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    wanted to hold off on this thought until I got confirmation, which I did an hour ago....the player the Jets were targeting at the workout was Kareem Jackson...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3531066]wanted to hold off on this thought until I got confirmation, which I did an hour ago....the player the Jets were targeting at the workout was Kareem Jackson...[/QUOTE]

I don't know much about him..what are your thoughts?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3531066]wanted to hold off on this thought until I got confirmation, which I did an hour ago....the player the Jets were targeting at the workout was Kareem Jackson...[/QUOTE]

I figured as much. The interest in Cody was somewhat a surprise (even though every 3-4 team will take a looksy) and Jackson seems like a guy the Jets would like. Where does he fall though? Probably more towards 29 than 61?

Great info as always CBTNY.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;3531069]I don't know much about him..what are your thoughts?[/QUOTE]

a lot of upside...there are probably more guys who are NFL ready at this point from the second teir of CB's (kyle wilson, patrick robinson) but Jackson could be better 2/3 seasons down the road if he completes his game and improves his mechanics...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3531109]a lot of upside...there are probably more guys who are NFL ready at this point from the second teir of CB's (kyle wilson, patrick robinson) but Jackson could be better 2/3 seasons down the road if he completes his game and improves his mechanics...[/QUOTE]

Interesting, thanks.