Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats Going on with Jay Feely???

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Whats Going on with Jay Feely???

Does anyone know what the Jets are going to do regarding K Jay Feely???

The guy was money for us last year and stepped up HUGE for us Wild Card Weekend at CIN replacing Weatherford at punter who was out with a Panic Attack or some BS. Without his performance more than likely we don't win that game. He was money on his FGs as well except for the AFCC Game missing on a couple long ones, but who out there is considered an upgrade from what he is capable of?

I heard we signed Nick Folk but probably to compete with someone else, will it be Feely???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's a UFA so Folk was signed as an insurance policy in case Feely gets an offer from another team

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3525390]Does anyone know what the Jets are going to do regarding K Jay Feely???

The guy was money for us last year and stepped up HUGE for us Wild Card Weekend at CIN replacing Weatherford at punter who was out with a [B]Panic Attack or some BS.[/B] Without his performance more than likely we don't win that game. He was money on his FGs as well except for the AFCC Game missing on a couple long ones, but who out there is considered an upgrade from what he is capable of?

I heard we signed Nick Folk but probably to compete with someone else, will it be Feely???[/QUOTE]

That was an irregular heart beat. Benched by the team as a precaution, not Weatherford.

If you're going to question a players heart, you need to get it right. :yes:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    we don't need a punter --- wetherford is fine

and if Feely goes FA on us, Folk gets his shot

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    time to recognize Jay Feely isn't coming back.

and after his champ game performance, i dont mind.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Bit on this one . . . ask Giants fans if they consider Feely to be clutch,

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3525411]That was an irregular heart beat. Benched by the team as a precaution, not Weatherford.

If you're going to question a players heart, you need to get it right. :yes:[/QUOTE]

I knew it was an irregular heart beat as did every other Jet fan in the world.

Its called a joke, lighten up a little.

Anyways the guy had a little panic attack, anxiety problem he's fine and was fine it was his nerves not his heart. They called it a "irregualr heart beat" to save his face plus if you have an anxiety attack your heart beats "irregular" while its going on, so basiclly they didn't lie.

Its not like Cutino Mobley where it is career or life threatning because he would of known about it by now.

Hey got a little too excited, throw him an ativan next time there's a big game and problem solved.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Gangrene;3525535]I'm with Bit on this one . . . ask Giants fans if they consider Feely to be clutch,[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean but is there anyone out there that we can actually sign that would be considered an udgrade?

I mean clutch and Nick Folk don't belong in the same paragraph, you can ask Cowboy fans that one. Feely missed 2 long ones against INDY but still performed better than SDs kicker who's a pro bowler and CINs kicker who got the franchise tag, its not like Feely is Doug Brien.

I know if Feely signs somewhere else we can sign an UFA for the same money, but is it worth it to sign a guy for less than 2 million to downgrade the kicking position?
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-14-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3525640]I knew it was an irregular heart beat as did every other Jet fan in the world.

Its called a joke, lighten up a little.

Anyways the guy had a little panic attack, anxiety problem he's fine and was fine it was his nerves not his heart. They called it a "irregualr heart beat" to save his face plus if you have an anxiety attack your heart beats "irregular" while its going on, so basiclly they didn't lie.

Its not like Cutino Mobley where it is career or life threatning because he would of known about it by now.

Hey got a little too excited, throw him an ativan next time there's a big game and problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Actually it is life-threatening, and he has known about it. He had surgery for it in college and will likely have another surgery for it this off-season.

If you want people to "lighten up" about your "jokes" then do us all the favor of taking the time to fact-check before presenting your opinions as fact, saving us the extra effort of doing it for you and also having to lighten up at your jokes.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3525640][B]I knew it was an irregular heart beat as did every other Jet fan in the world.
    [/B]
    [B]Its called a joke,[/B] lighten up a little.

[B]Anyways the guy had a little panic attack, anxiety problem he's fine and was fine it was his nerves not his heart[/B]. [B]They called it a "irregualr heart beat" to save his face plus if you have an anxiety attack your heart beats "irregular" while its going on, so basiclly they didn't lie.[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

So you've examined him?

I don't get it. First you claim it was joke, a dumb joke, but a joke. Always a huge roar when making fun of a physical ailment and making it sound like a BS one at that.

Then after saying it was a joke and telling me to lighten up, because you knew it was his heart, you go on to tell us that it was BS, it was some BS ailment and they were looking to save face.
    :eek:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3525442]time to recognize Jay Feely isn't coming back.

and after his champ game performance, i dont mind.[/QUOTE]

I don't get this. If an o-lineman, QB, RB, WR anyone that has not theri best game in a playoff game do you pun them top the curb when they have played well all year?

This is a classic case of getting a worse player because of one game. Is folk better than Feely? Not in my mind. Think of the teams like Dallas and Wash last year that lost games due to their kicker. Same thing with long snapping. Don't create a hole on the team where there is none.

I also do not think Weather ford is fine. He played pretty good at the end of the year but he was not good earlier and has that health issue.

Kicking is one position that Tanny doesn't seem to take seriously to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3525813]I don't get this. If an o-lineman, QB, RB, WR anyone that has not theri best game in a playoff game do you pun them top the curb when they have played well all year?

This is a classic case of getting a worse player because of one game. Is folk better than Feely? Not in my mind. Think of the teams like Dallas and Wash last year that lost games due to their kicker. Same thing with long snapping. Don't create a hole on the team where there is none.

I also do not think Weather ford is fine. He played pretty good at the end of the year but he was not good earlier and has that health issue.

Kicking is one position that Tanny doesn't seem to take seriously to me.[/QUOTE]

A couple of points about our kicking/punting game:

Weatherford, while not spectacular, was consistant. He certainly was an improvement over what we have had for the last couple of seasons. I'm sure he'll have competition in the preseason. We can do worse then him.

Feely - I think the Jets want him back as they should because he was very good this year. I think the issue there is money. Janokowski signed for big bucks with the Raiders (16M over 4years). I'm sure that contract had an impact on what Feely is asking.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3525701]So you've examined him?

I don't get it. First you claim it was joke, a dumb joke, but a joke. Always a huge roar when making fun of a physical ailment and making it sound like a BS one at that.

Then after saying it was a joke and telling me to lighten up, because you knew it was his heart, you go on to tell us that it was BS, it was some BS ailment and they were looking to save face.
    :eek:[/QUOTE]

Incase you forgot Rex was making jokes about it as well, if you have played football before on a team you would know everyone busts each others and you know he caught some jabs for it regardless of what's fact and what's not.

The point I was making is that regardless of why Weatherford didn't play HE DIDN'T PLAY. PERIOD. Feely stepped up and that's that.

When John Abraham missed playoff games REGARDLESS OF INJURIE OR ILLNESS he caught critism, that's the way it is, if you can't play then your useless and its simple as that.

Now neither you or me or any other poster on this board knows for sure if he actually has a real irregular heart beat problem or if he has a HISTORY OF PANIC ATTACKS, which is common ESPECIALLY UNDER STRESS, so don't act like it isn't possible. From the comments Rex made it sure seems like it was, he had a nice joke about it as well BUT if Feely didn't step up (and save the game) you can be sure we would be looking for a new punter right now without a doubt.
    Last edited by PaPZ187; 03-14-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3525894]Incase you forgot Rex was making jokes about it as well, if you have played football before on a team you would know everyone busts each others and you know he caught some jabs for it regardless of what's fact and what's not.

The point I was making is that regardless of why Weatherford didn't play HE DIDN'T PLAY. PERIOD. Feely stepped up and that's that.

When John Abraham missed playoff games REGARDLESS OF INJURIE OR ILLNESS he caught critism, that's the way it is, if you can't play then your useless and its simple as that.

[B]Now neither you or me or any other poster on this board knows for sure if he actually has a real irregular heart beat problem[/B] or if he has a HISTORY OF PANIC ATTACKS, which is common ESPECIALLY UNDER STRESS, so don't act like it isn't possible. From the comments Rex made it sure seems like it was, he had a nice joke about it as well BUT if Feely didn't step up (and save the game) you can be sure we would be looking for a new punter right now without a doubt.[/QUOTE]

Apparently you didn't bother to read my post, or you have comprehension issues. Either way, here is what you may have missed:

[QUOTE=Jetworks;3525682][B][SIZE="5"]Actually it is life-threatening, and he has known about it. He had surgery for it in college and will likely have another surgery for it this off-season. [/SIZE][/B]

If you want people to "lighten up" about your "jokes" then do us all the favor of taking the time to fact-check before presenting your opinions as fact, saving us the extra effort of doing it for you and also having to lighten up at your jokes.[/QUOTE]

[quote=NY Daily News] Jets punter Steve Weatherford, who missed last Saturday's game with [B]an irregular heartbeat,[/B] said that even though three days of tests showed [B]he will need offseason heart surgery,[/B] he has been cleared to play Sunday.

Weatherford is on medication to control his heart rate, which will allow him to play the rest of the season with no risk.

[B]When he was 16 years old, he was diagnosed with a genetic condition that causes his heart to race and had surgery to correct it during his sophomore year of college.[/B] He had never had an episode like Saturday's in the NFL.

"I had no problems with it, no issues at all with it, until the other night," Weatherford said.

[B]Weatherford[/B], who went to the NFC Championship Game with the Saints in 2007, [B]said it was in no way related to nerves or anxiety[/B].

"It's wasn't my first rodeo, I don't want to attribute my heart to being anxious," Weatherford said. "As soon as it happened, I knew, I wasn't freaking out. I just thought, 'You gotta be kidding,' about the timing. Usually when I was younger, it would last for like 10 minutes and I'd be exhausted then it would go away. I'd feel like I ran a mile then I would be fine.

"This time, it didn't go down."

It came on suddenly, minutes before kickoff as Weatherford warmed up. His pulse soared and he could not catch his breath. He was taken off the field by trainers and hooked up to an electrocardiograph machine at the stadium.

"I am thinking that this might be the end of my career, because when something like this happens the doctors may not see you fit to play again," Weatherford said. "And I am thinking I let my teammates down. It was miserable."

His heart rate was between 175 and 180 beats per minute for 32 minutes. After Weatherford ingested IV fluids and beta-blockers, his heart rate settled down to around 80. [B]Doctors declared he was out of danger around halftime of the game.[/B]

"It literally broke my heart," Weatherford said. "You train all season and then 10 minutes before the game I felt like I couldn't breathe, I felt like I was going to pass out."

Weatherford, 27, described the condition as having to do "with the electrical setup" in his heart. He described the surgery he will have as "non-serious," with a four- to five-day recovery time. The doctors will "cauterize a synapse" to prevent his heart from racing again.

"At the end of the season, I am going to have the surgery so there is no chance of it happening again," Weatherford said. "That's just not for football. It is for football, but I also want to live to be an old man."[/quote]

And let's just be clear that he played the rest of the season with this serious condition. I don't expect you to admit you're wrong, but I will enjoy watching you attempt to explain why you're not for a third time.

Read more: [url]http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/01/13/2010-01-13_punter_has_heart.html#ixzz0iCNGRQTA[/url]
    Last edited by Jetworks; 03-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;3525682]Actually it is life-threatening, and he has known about it. He had surgery for it in college and will likely have another surgery for it this off-season.

If you want people to "lighten up" about your "jokes" then do us all the favor of taking the time to fact-check before presenting your opinions as fact, saving us the extra effort of doing it for you and also having to lighten up at your jokes.[/QUOTE]

Acctually I appoligize personally to Steve I too heard he will probably need surgery.

Sucks because I know the media and even Rex joked about it as myself and the guy honestly has a real problem. You gotta understand though that he's not a big name and there was no report on this prior to the WCG which was his 1st playoff game so I can see where the majority would think it was a panic attack or nerves.

Back on topic, Feely saved our a** that playoff game or else we aren't having Super Bowl talk, personally I wanted to see him come back and am a little surprised he might not be because he is a very good FG kicker and out performed a pro bowler (SD) and a guy who got the franchise tag (Cin) plus the 2 kicks in INDY weren't gimmes even though I expected him to make the 1st one in that game.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3525390]Does anyone know what the Jets are going to do regarding K Jay Feely???

The guy was money for us last year and stepped up HUGE for us Wild Card Weekend at CIN replacing Weatherford at punter who was out with a Panic Attack or some BS. Without his performance more than likely we don't win that game. He was money on his FGs as well except for the AFCC Game missing on a couple long ones, but who out there is considered an upgrade from what he is capable of?

I heard we signed Nick Folk but probably to compete with someone else, will it be Feely???[/QUOTE]

he did have a big part in the loss to Atl or Jack. I cant remember

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PaPZ187;3525894]Incase you forgot Rex was making jokes about it as well, if you have played football before on a team you would know everyone busts each others and you know he caught some jabs for it regardless of what's fact and what's not.

Now neither you or me or any other poster on this board knows for sure if he actually has a real irregular heart beat problem or if he has a HISTORY OF PANIC ATTACKS, which is common ESPECIALLY UNDER STRESS, so don't act like it isn't possible. From the comments Rex made it sure seems like it was, he had a nice joke about it as well BUT if Feely didn't step up (and save the game) you can be sure we would be looking for a new punter right now without a doubt.[/QUOTE]

Rex's joke was that he was making fun of his condition BEFORE he found out what it was and the severity of the illness. It was ok under that situation, Rex also at the same time announced that he wanted to play but the med staff held him out.

No one has ever someones toughness for being held out of a game due to heart issues. Repeat NEVER. Other than you of course.

Abraham not playing because of a sour stomach isn't even close.

Dude, just admit this was a horrible mistake and move on.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3525813]I don't get this. If an o-lineman, QB, RB, WR anyone that has not theri best game in a playoff game do you pun them top the curb when they have played well all year?

Kicking is one position that Tanny doesn't seem to take seriously to me.[/QUOTE]

+1 Good Points

Kicking is TOO IMPORTANT to overlook if Feely doesn't come back that's one thing, but if theyreplace him (or fail to) with Nick Folk or someone else that is not as good as Feely it will probably bite us in the a** unfortunatly.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec318;3525943]he did have a big part in the loss to Atl or Jack. I cant remember[/QUOTE]

Atl, Jets lost 10-7 and he missed 3 makable kicks. Though one was a somewhat sh1tty hold.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3525946]Rex's joke was that he was making fun of his condition BEFORE he found out what it was and the severity of the illness. It was ok under that situation, Rex also at the same time announced that he wanted to play but the med staff held him out.

No one has ever someones toughness for being held out of a game due to heart issues. Repeat NEVER. Other than you of course.

Abraham not playing because of a sour stomach isn't even close.

Dude, just admit this was a horrible mistake and move on.[/QUOTE]

I already admitted I was wrong.

I'm not questioning his toughness, I don't follow our punters heart condition when he played the following week, if he didn't then I probably would of dug in a little more in depth.

Abraham comment was just saying regardless of injury like Tomlinson in the AFCG in 2007 was critisized even though his injury was probably legit and couldn't play it out, its just the nature of the game.

Once again I appoligize to Steve and glad I am now informed on his condition, if I'm wrong I'm man enough to admit it, I was just explaning where I was coming from.