View Poll Results: Are You Happy we signed LT?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

235 73.21%
  • NO

35 10.90%
  • Whatever

51 15.89%
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: DONE DEAL: Tomlinson Signs W/Jets (merged)

[QUOTE=jetsfan920;3525741]Hell yeah! Welcome to NY LT![/QUOTE]

:yes::D

[QUOTE=SMC;3525915][B][SIZE="7"]
    [B]LT IS A BACKUP!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]TO SAY THAT THE JETS WILL GO 7-9 BECAUSE OF A BACKUP IS ABSURD!!![/B][/SIZE][/B][/QUOTE]

Quoting this because no one else has done it so far. Yeah, backup RB is one of the most important backup positions, but the people who are legitimately bothered by this signing are insane. The Pats won Super Bowls with cats like Antowain Smith, J.R. Redmond and Kevin Faulk. And there are people in our fanbase who are actually saying "Oh no, we signed LT (who scored 12 TDs last year) to be a backup! We're done for!"

And please...PLEASE...stop comparing LT to Thomas Jones. LT did not come here to replace Thomas Jones, so comparing their numbers over the past three seasons is like comparing Cromartie to Revis (not the best example, but you know what I'm saying). And until otherwise, Leon is still on the team, so LT didn't come here to replace him either!

Ham, thanks for teaching me something useful!

Glad you liked the vids. All of the Jet moves this off-season by themselves dont seem to be much, but each has a very special purpose in the mosaic of this team. The Jets are putting together a monster team that will be hard to deal with on both sides of the ball. This signing was important because it should open up the field for us and make the O much more potent and versatile. This helps the D cause it keeps them off the field longer. There were several games that we lost last year because we just couldn't make the right break. An extra couple of 1st downs will go a long way in improving our team.

Banned
    [IMG]http://www.jetsshop.com/jets/images/D/tomlinson-l.jpg[/IMG]

Bet a couple of these sell, they make back the 5.1 million and then some.

[url]http://www.jetsshop.com/jets/product.php?productid=19232[/url]

lol at Viking fans for thinking that, why do people assume they have a better shot at a SB than we do? Our team has a better rushing attack with our OL, Peterson was struggling to run behind the Vikings OL as they sucked. Brett Favre probably doesn't play as well as last year if he comes back. Their defense isn't as good as ours.

If Sanchez steps his game up which he will but to what level is the question I think we'll be a contender.

Now in the draft we need to add some youth to the DL and a pass rusher along with some depth at WR, OL,DBs and we are set.

All Pro
    I don't think this was the absolute best move to improve the team's talent at RB, but I still like it. LT is one of my favorite players in the league.

He's not as washed up as some here are saying, but he's obviously a shell of his former self. I do think that the Jets OL will help with some of his problems because SD just couldn't run block.

Giving him 10-12 carries and a couple of catches a game is just fine for me.

All in all, not a great move, but it's exciting to have a guy like that here and it's a relatively small salary with pretty low risk.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3526083]Oh Yeah definitely, for a team that was handcuffed by the FINAL 8/4 rules I'm very happy with what the Jets have been able to do to improve themselves. I like this team a lot, and with Sanchez having his rookie season out of the way I like our chances a real lot as well.[/QUOTE]

Glad I was wrong yesterday GJ&H, but when he took off for SD I thought that was a bad sign.

Mr. T deserves props for this off season he really comes to battle with a plan, hand cuffed by free agency and limited in draft picks and he still comes up with Cromatie, Poole, LT and we gained draft picks in this years draft!!!! Now lets upgrade the d-line with some youth in the draft and the Jets will be ready to battle for a championship:yes:.

Great.............One geezer for another geezer :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=MarkyMarkSanchez;3525854][URL="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btCNclQljRc"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btCNclQljRc[/URL][/QUOTE]

LT knows how to follow a block...
    TJ, running up the back of the O-Line, not so much...

[B]The Jets view Tomlinson as the perfect complement to Greene. They want him to spell Greene in passing situations (Greene had no regular-season receptions last season) and on third down as a change-of-pace threat. Tomlinson is still an excellent route runner with good hands (he has 530 career receptions) and remains a threat in the open field.[/B]

Last season, Greene blasted on the scene in the playoffs, rushing for 304 yards and two touchdowns on 54 carries.

Despite restrictions because of the uncapped year, the Jets have been active this offseason. They traded for Chargers cornerback Antonio Cromartie, signed Browns free-agent safety Brodney Pool, traded safety Kerry Rhodes and added Tomlinson.

[B]NOTES[/B]
    [B]NFL spokesman Greg Aiello would not confirm a report[/B] on the [URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/3631-host-of-stadium-s-opener-we-ll-flip-you-for-it"]Jets’ official website[/URL] that a coin toss will decide whether they or the Giants host the first-ever regular-season game at the new stadium, but the club sticks by its report.

Aiello said commissioner [B]Roger Goodell[/B] will decide on the schedule. For the record, the Giants have hosted the home opener at the stadium in 12 of the past 16 seasons.

[B]Despite rumors that the Jets[/B] are interested in Broncos WR [B]Brandon Marshall[/B], a deal seems unlikely with [B]Braylon Edwards[/B] on the roster.

[I]Dave Hutchinson may be reached at [EMAIL="dhutchinson@starledger.com"]dhutchinson@starledger.com[/EMAIL][/I][B]

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2010/03/ladainian_tomlinson_agrees_to.html[/URL]
    [/B]

Quickie thoughts on the signing of LaDainian Tomlinson:

1. First of all, I didn't like the decision to release Thomas Jones, but I think Tomlinson will be a solid replacement. Is he going to be the LT of old? Of course not, but the Jets aren't asking him to carry the rock 20 times a game. Is he going to be the Jones of 2009? Probably not, but he'll be a good complementary back.

2. I think, behind the Jets' O-line, Tomlinson will be more efficient than he was last season (3.3 ypc). He may not have the old burst, but he still has very good vision and instincts, and those will serve him well in the Jets' zone-blocking scheme.

3. They'd better hope Shonn Greene doesn't get hurt. If Tomlinson is thrust into a full-time role, it's going to be tough sledding for the league's top-ranked rushing offense.

4. Historically, Tomlinson has been at his best when running out of the I-formation. The Jets started using some I sets last season, but they're not a big I-formation offense. This raises the issue of unsigned FB Tony Richardson, 38. With LT in the fold, I wonder if they will re-sign Richardson. Maybe they will look to get younger at fullback.

5. I'm sure there will be an outcry of Jets fans claiming this is another Ronnie Lott-Art Monk-Brett Favre situation -- you know, trying to squeeze a season of glory out of an aging great. This is different because they're not counting on Tomlinson to play a full-time role.

6. I tweeted this when the signing came down, but Tomlinson will sign a two-year deal for $5.2 million, with an escalator that could take it to $5.7 million. He will make less than $3 million this season, and $3 million is the amount that Jones will make in K.C. -- a deal the Jets reportedly could've matched if they wanted to re-sign him.

7. Tomlinson will provide a much-needed veteran presence in the backfield. With Greene and QB Mark Sanchez, and no Jones, they needed a wise head. Maybe Tomlinson can help keep former Chargers teammate Antonio Cromartie in line in a foreign place.

8. I don't think this means the Jets are going to try to trade Leon Washington. The organization loves Washington, and it's going to give him every opportunity to get back from his horrific leg injury.

According to National Football Post, the Jets are having internal discussions about the possibility of trading for Broncos WR Brandon Marshall -- the same Marshall they tried to get last summer. From what I'm hearing, the Jets aren't interested in Marshall. It's just a rumor.

Classy move by the Jets, taking out a full page ad in today's Kansas City Star, thanking Thomas Jones for three wonderful seasons. As best as I can tell, it's the first time they've ever done that for an ex-player. Now it's up to the Chargers to place an ad in the Daily News, giving a shout-out to Tomlinson. Come on, Bolts, we could use the ad revenue.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/lt-analysis-debunking-marshall.html#ixzz0iD1imGLg[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT]

Undrafted Free Agent
    NOT a move that "the same old Jets" would have done!
    LT on the field gives some veteran leadership and commands respect.

All League
    I think people are forgetting the best thing about LT:

[url]http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats12a_09-12-07_HE73CUP.354f5bf.html[/url]

Asked about the claims that New England may have videotaped signals, the running back smirked.

“I think that the Patriots live by the saying ‘If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying.’ I think they live off that statement and nothing surprises me really,” said Tomlinson, the reigning league MVP.

Okay... maybe not the best thing, but it was still pretty funny.

All League
    How does this all play out with Greene mocking LT in the playoffs.
    [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUCQAQ_mB0[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

F'n sweet. Knew this was coming after all the rumors, too much smoke for there not to be fire.

Tannenbaum, have some coffee, you are indeed a closer :rockon:

[QUOTE=C Mart;3526142]Quickie thoughts on the signing of LaDainian Tomlinson:

1. First of all, I didn't like the decision to release Thomas Jones, but I think Tomlinson will be a solid replacement. Is he going to be the LT of old? Of course not, but the Jets aren't asking him to carry the rock 20 times a game. Is he going to be the Jones of 2009? Probably not, but he'll be a good complementary back.

2. I think, behind the Jets' O-line, Tomlinson will be more efficient than he was last season (3.3 ypc). He may not have the old burst, but he still has very good vision and instincts, and those will serve him well in the Jets' zone-blocking scheme.

3. They'd better hope Shonn Greene doesn't get hurt. If Tomlinson is thrust into a full-time role, it's going to be tough sledding for the league's top-ranked rushing offense.

4. Historically, Tomlinson has been at his best when running out of the I-formation. The Jets started using some I sets last season, but they're not a big I-formation offense. This raises the issue of unsigned FB Tony Richardson, 38. With LT in the fold, I wonder if they will re-sign Richardson. Maybe they will look to get younger at fullback.

5. I'm sure there will be an outcry of Jets fans claiming this is another Ronnie Lott-Art Monk-Brett Favre situation -- you know, trying to squeeze a season of glory out of an aging great. This is different because they're not counting on Tomlinson to play a full-time role.

6. I tweeted this when the signing came down, but Tomlinson will sign a two-year deal for $5.2 million, with an escalator that could take it to $5.7 million. He will make less than $3 million this season, and $3 million is the amount that Jones will make in K.C. -- a deal the Jets reportedly could've matched if they wanted to re-sign him.

7. Tomlinson will provide a much-needed veteran presence in the backfield. With Greene and QB Mark Sanchez, and no Jones, they needed a wise head. Maybe Tomlinson can help keep former Chargers teammate Antonio Cromartie in line in a foreign place.

8. I don't think this means the Jets are going to try to trade Leon Washington. The organization loves Washington, and it's going to give him every opportunity to get back from his horrific leg injury.

According to National Football Post, the Jets are having internal discussions about the possibility of trading for Broncos WR Brandon Marshall -- the same Marshall they tried to get last summer. From what I'm hearing, the Jets aren't interested in Marshall. It's just a rumor.

Classy move by the Jets, taking out a full page ad in today's Kansas City Star, thanking Thomas Jones for three wonderful seasons. As best as I can tell, it's the first time they've ever done that for an ex-player. Now it's up to the Chargers to place an ad in the Daily News, giving a shout-out to Tomlinson. Come on, Bolts, we could use the ad revenue.
    [LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
    Read more: [URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/lt-analysis-debunking-marshall.html#ixzz0iD1imGLg[/URL]
    [/COLOR][/LEFT][/QUOTE]

Nice post. For the first time in a long time it feels like this team is in good hands. Tanny & crew aren't perfect, but they are looking at every opportunity to improve the team and the foresight this FO has is the best I've seen in my 20+ years as a fan.

Do think that your points 2 & 3 are slightly contradictory though. If Greene gets hurt, I think "tough sledding" is a bit strong. As you said, LT should be improved behind this OL and I think he still poses enough of a threat to make the play-action game as effective as it would be with Greene in the lineup. But I can't say that you're wrong there, so I (and probably most of us) would be much more comfortable with the backfield situation if Leon is on the opening day roster.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3526083]Oh Yeah definitely, for a team that was handcuffed by the FINAL 8/4 rules I'm very happy with what the Jets have been able to do to improve themselves. I like this team a lot, and with Sanchez having his rookie season out of the way I like our chances a real lot as well.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/399090118_0b3215ac8c1.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=Rich Cimini]

3. They'd better hope Shonn Greene doesn't get hurt. If Tomlinson is thrust into a full-time role, it's going to be tough sledding for the league's top-ranked rushing offense.[/QUOTE]

See, comments like this make absolutely no sense. Tell me who would be a better replacement and not make it "tough sledding" if Greene was out?

The options were:

Greene/Tomlinson/Leon

Greene/Leon/Chauney Washington

Greene/Leon/draft pick

No brainer here.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;3526151]Nice post. For the first time in a long time it feels like this team is in good hands. Tanny & crew aren't perfect, but they are looking at every opportunity to improve the team and the foresight this FO has is the best I've seen in my 20+ years as a fan.

Do think that your points 2 & 3 are slightly contradictory though. If Greene gets hurt, I think "tough sledding" is a bit strong. As you said, LT should be improved behind this OL and I think he still poses enough of a threat to make the play-action game as effective as it would be with Greene in the lineup. But I can't say that you're wrong there, so I (and probably most of us) would be much more comfortable with the backfield situation if Leon is on the opening day roster.[/QUOTE]

I posted Cimini's article.

But all indications are Leon will be back, unless some team signs him to a ridiculous contract. Tannebaum keeps talking up Chauncy Washington too (Tanny likes to do that in the offseason)...

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=TheMikeIsHot;3526121]I don't think this was the absolute best move to improve the team's talent at RB, but I still like it. LT is one of my favorite players in the league.

He's not as washed up as some here are saying, but he's obviously a shell of his former self. I do think that the Jets OL will help with some of his problems because SD just couldn't run block.

Giving him 10-12 carries and a couple of catches a game is just fine for me.

All in all, not a great move, but it's exciting to have a guy like that here and it's a relatively small salary with pretty low risk.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://barbequethministry.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/norv-turner1.jpg[/IMG]

LT has played for two of the biggest playoff chokers in NFL history. There is a 50/50 chance the poor guy isn't "a shell of his former self" but rather unmotivated and burnt out, needing only some Rexy love and a change of scenery to feel rejuvenated.

Either way, the entertainment value is great. Get to talk Jets in (yawn) March, get to be excited about opening day with 21 getting the first TD in the new stadium. Heady stuff.

SAR I