View Poll Results: Are You Happy we signed LT?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

235 73.21%
  • NO

35 10.90%
  • Whatever

51 15.89%
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: DONE DEAL: Tomlinson Signs W/Jets (merged)

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3526154]See, comments like this make absolutely no sense. Tell me who would be a better replacement and not make it "tough sledding" if Greene was out?

The options were:

Greene/Tomlinson/Leon

Greene/Leon/Chauney Washington

Greene/Leon/draft pick

No brainer here.[/QUOTE]

I personally like this scenario:

Greene/Tomlinson/Leon/draft pick

I could see us carrying five guys in the backfield (4 RB's, 1 FB). And I can definitely still see us picking up a RB in the 4th or 5th round of the draft. Leon's longterm future is still up in the air and LT is 31 years old. We'll need a younger guy to pair with Greene at some point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;3526155]I posted Cimini's article.

But all indications are Leon will be back, unless some team signs him to a ridiculous contract. Tannebaum keeps talking up Chauncy Washington too (Tanny likes to do that in the offseason)...[/QUOTE]

Giving Cimini "nice post" credit is like complimenting Chris Collinsworth for a "nice broadcast." I feel dirty.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rep;3526145]I think people are forgetting [B][U]the best thing about LT[/U][/B]:

[url]http://www.projo.com/patriots/content/sp_fbn_pats12a_09-12-07_HE73CUP.354f5bf.html[/url]

Asked about the claims that New England may have videotaped signals, the running back smirked.

“I think that the Patriots live by the saying ‘If you’re not cheating, you’re not trying.’ I think they live off that statement and nothing surprises me really,” said Tomlinson, the reigning league MVP.

Okay... maybe not the best thing, but it was still pretty funny.[/QUOTE]

This a personal favorite of mine, the helmet visor -- can't read his eyes and he looks badass...

[IMG]http://619sports.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/lt-under-the-mask-07.jpg[/IMG]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do think a big part of this move is the name value that comes with LT. That said, Im sure the Jets evaluated the situation and assumed that Tomlinson and Jones would put up very similar numbers running behind the Jets line. I really think that when the teams project totals they look at the things that are drastically different than a players norms and Jones' big plays were way above his norms and that was with a workload far bigger than expected for 2010. LT no longer breaks big plays and is already scaled down to the Jets expected workload. Tomlinson without much of a line basically put up the same stats as TJ did in most situations. Hes also a better receiver. My guess is they figure in this role he will do at least as well statistically as Jones would have been expected to do and he will fill a receiving void that exists at the RB position, especially if Leon is not near what he used to be.

I do think there are some negatives though. If Greene goes down or stinks, Jones could have handled a big workload. Maybe he would not be very effective (3.3-3.6 YPC), but he would play. If forced into that same situation I think Tomlinson would break down and not give you 16 games. I think the other factor is that Jones did eventually grow into the role of a leader on the team. I think he kind of took that role once he put his name on what alot of guys felt about Brett Favre when the season tanked. LT has never been a leader like that. I know the two positions are entirely different but his QB went out there with no knee and played a football game. Tomlinson screwed the team up with his attempt to play in similar spots and then sulked when he couldnt play. So I think you have a better chance of bringing in a guy that could be divisive in a big spot than helping in a big spot. The Jets thinking might be that removing TJ allows Sanchez to take more of the leadership role, but you definitely lose that here.

I dont think the Jets are done here. If they can find a way to make another splash (B. Marshall, D. Sharper, trade up in draft) I think they will do it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [IMG]http://www.ustailgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ladainian-tomlinson.jpg[/IMG]

I'm really looking forward to this. Takes the sting out of the AFCCG loss.

Thanks Mr. T.

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3526172][IMG]http://www.ustailgate.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/ladainian-tomlinson.jpg[/IMG]

I'm really looking forward to this. Takes the sting out of the AFCCG loss.

Thanks Mr. T.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I can't tell when you're being serious or not

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dassin;3526165]This a personal favorite of mine, the helmet visor -- can't read his eyes and he looks badass...

[IMG]http://619sports.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/lt-under-the-mask-07.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

I agree, can't wait to see that with the Jets uniform. Although you could've posted a picture of it where he isn't wearing a coat on the bench.:P

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=el_dub80;3526128]Great.............One geezer for another geezer :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

A geezer backup for a geezer starter.

Yep, same thing.

LOL.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3526175]I can't tell when you're being serious or not[/QUOTE]

Serious. I love these annual surprises. Favre, Sanchez, Tomlinson. Every Spring, something unexpected happens to make me happy. The fact that we've become the most aggressive offseason team in the NFL is great, great stuff.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetworks;3525804]Since we are posting pics of guys who had short stints with a team other than the one they are most closely associated with, I submit what I believe is a better comparison of LT with the Jets:

[IMG]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/6312/ottisanderson.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]
    i think LT is washed up..

but i thought ottis was too.. :O

what the hell, [B][COLOR="DarkGreen"]go get em LT!! [/COLOR][/B]:rockon:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jason423;3526169]I do think a big part of this move is the name value that comes with LT. That said, Im sure the Jets evaluated the situation and assumed that Tomlinson and Jones would put up very similar numbers running behind the Jets line. I really think that when the teams project totals they look at the things that are drastically different than a players norms and Jones' big plays were way above his norms and that was with a workload far bigger than expected for 2010. LT no longer breaks big plays and is already scaled down to the Jets expected workload. Tomlinson without much of a line basically put up the same stats as TJ did in most situations. Hes also a better receiver. My guess is they figure in this role he will do at least as well statistically as Jones would have been expected to do and he will fill a receiving void that exists at the RB position, especially if Leon is not near what he used to be.

I do think there are some negatives though. [B]If Greene goes down or stinks, Jones could have handled a big workload.[/B] Maybe he would not be very effective (3.3-3.6 YPC), but he would play. If forced into that same situation I think Tomlinson would break down and not give you 16 games. I think the other factor is that Jones did eventually grow into the role of a leader on the team. I think he kind of took that role once he put his name on what alot of guys felt about Brett Favre when the season tanked. LT has never been a leader like that. I know the two positions are entirely different but his QB went out there with no knee and played a football game. Tomlinson screwed the team up with his attempt to play in similar spots and then sulked when he couldnt play. So I think you have a better chance of bringing in a guy that could be divisive in a big spot than helping in a big spot. The Jets thinking might be that removing TJ allows Sanchez to take more of the leadership role, but you definitely lose that here.

I dont think the Jets are done here. If they can find a way to make another splash (B. Marshall, D. Sharper, trade up in draft) I think they will do it.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff as usual, Jason.

But I disagree with the bolded specifically. In Jones last 6 games in 2009 (3 regular season & 3 playoff) he had a 3.0 ypc, similar to what LT did in his last 6 games.

I think that scared the crap out of the Jets. RBs Jones age usually fall off a cliff and that was a striking dropoff with such a good Oline. Plus, Jones was an absolute liability in the AFCCG.

So you have the dramatic drop & Jones being useless in the biggest game made the Jets make this move IMO. Based on what Jones did at the end of the season I don't think the Jets were confident that Jones could be successful if Greene was hurt or did not play up to par.

Plus, Jones was just an inferior, older version of Greene. Having such a player at backup didn't make sense.

As to other moves, I don't think there is any chance in hell the Jets get Marshall. There has never been a story stating that the Jets made a concrete move to get Marshall (never contacted Denver, never made an offer, etc.). It's all in this "mulling" department. Every story is about the Jets considering trading for him or whatever, but never doing a damn thing about it. IMO, it's total BS.

That said, I believe they will move up in the draft if the player is there that they covet. Tanny has always tried that in his 4 years of drafting.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3526180]Serious. I love these annual surprises. Favre, Sanchez, Tomlinson. Every Spring, something unexpected happens to make me happy. The fact that we've become the most aggressive offseason team in the NFL is great, great stuff.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Still think you're being sarcastic :confused:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3526062]Then your graph is useless.

LT's decline in rushing yards coincides with 2 things (1) age and (2) the deterioration of the Charges OLine.

TJ's increase in rushing yards coincides with the improvement of the Jets Oline. Hence, TJ's poor numbers in 2007. You can't just throw in receiving yards to mask that.[/QUOTE]

and the "drop" in yardage from 2006 to 2007 was from a sick 2,300 yards to 1,959 :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the signing, can't wait to see it bear fruit.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3526191]Still think you're being sarcastic [/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00594/chargers_682x400_594325a.jpg[/IMG]

No, I'm not. If you can't stop him, sign him.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the one downside about Jones is this. Think about that 4th and 1 in the playoffs. We gave the ball to Jones. Was anyone happy that it was Jones and not Greene? I certainly wasn't. I think Rex felt an obligation to Jones' pride to run him there.

I think it's a lot easier for LT to go from "the man" (though I guess he wasn't really last year) on a different team, to backup on this team, then for TJ to go from "the man" to backup [b]on the same team[/b].

In some sense, though, I think we're in the same situation now as we were before - I hope to the heavens that Greene stays healthy...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=thshadow;3526201]IMO the one downside about Jones is this. Think about that 4th and 1 in the playoffs. We gave the ball to Jones. Was anyone happy that it was Jones and not Greene? I certainly wasn't. I think Rex felt an obligation to Jones' pride to run him there.

I think it's a lot easier for LT to go from "the man" (though I guess he wasn't really last year) on a different team, to backup on this team, then for TJ to go from "the man" to backup [b]on the same team[/b].

In some sense, though, I think we're in the same situation now as we were before - I hope to the heavens that Greene stays healthy...[/QUOTE]

We're going to have a running game man. Our OL is too good not to. Plus, Tomlinson may not be in his prime he's still Ladanian frigign Tomlinson. To cover our ass, I hope there's a stable of talent at RB behind the main 3.

I really want to see what his production looks like behind our OL. I'm sure the guy wants to go balls out on it if he still wants to play after being hurt the past 2 years. I'm sure he thinks he has some gas in him, and he came to the right OL.

In case you're wondering, it's our OL that keys our offense. Mark Sanchez becomes an official franchise QB when HE keys our offense, but right now it's definitely our OL. I think it's better to keep it this way TBH, even when/if Sanchez is a top QB. By then of course, we'll need new, more athletic OL to provide better pass protection.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If only we had Brett Favre handing off to him! :steamin:

;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;3526186]Good stuff as usual, Jason.

But I disagree with the bolded specifically. In Jones last 6 games in 2009 (3 regular season & 3 playoff) he had a 3.0 ypc, similar to what LT did in his last 6 games.

[b]I think that scared the crap out of the Jets. RBs Jones age usually fall off a cliff and that was a striking dropoff with such a good Oline. Plus, Jones was an absolute liability in the AFCCG.

So you have the dramatic drop & Jones being useless in the biggest game made the Jets make this move IMO. Based on what Jones did at the end of the season I don't think the Jets were confident that Jones could be successful if Greene was hurt or did not play up to par.[/b]

Plus, Jones was just an inferior, older version of Greene. Having such a player at backup didn't make sense.

As to other moves, I don't think there is any chance in hell the Jets get Marshall. There has never been a story stating that the Jets made a concrete move to get Marshall (never contacted Denver, never made an offer, etc.). It's all in this "mulling" department. Every story is about the Jets considering trading for him or whatever, but never doing a damn thing about it. IMO, it's total BS.

That said, I believe they will move up in the draft if the player is there that they covet. Tanny has always tried that in his 4 years of drafting.[/QUOTE]

This is a really great post, especially the part in bold, it makes complete sense, and supports my own line of thinking why I think the Jets make this move.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]Chester Taylor, 31 yrs old, Signed a 4 year $12.5 million contract with the Bears on March 5, 2010[/B]

Are there really Jet fans complaining about the team signing LT to a 2 yr deal for $5.1 million?

Really?