View Poll Results: Are You Happy we signed LT?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

235 73.21%
  • NO

35 10.90%
  • Whatever

51 15.89%
Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: DONE DEAL: Tomlinson Signs W/Jets (merged)

[QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3527365]the way i saee it, it's Pennington being replaced by Favre in '08. Both vets but perhaps they decided to go in a different direction and give someone new and someone they feel is better as opposed to someone whom they've already had. Granted irony came full-swing in '08 but here's to hoping lightening doesn't strike twice in '10. I understand the detractors but let's see how it plays out.[/QUOTE]

Well said, particularly coming from a Nordic Warrior with a serious buzz on.

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3527363]
    I agree that any FO move comes with risk, but some here wonder (correctly IMO) why break up the best running game in the league? Where's the necessity? If you said Tanny was bringing in a young stud, fine. But why swap old timers and seemingly come away with the guy who's shown decline the last two years vs. the guy who got you there?[/QUOTE]

I think after watching TJ last year, it became apparent that he wasn't the specific reason for the big rushing numbers, but rather the offensive line.

LT can still provide veteran leadership, and has the potential to be a dominant player. He had to have lost something, but he was that good that it is a no-brainer to add a guy like him when you have a push up front like the Jets do.

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3527371]Well said, particularly coming from a Nordic Warrior with a serious [B]hard[/B] on.[/QUOTE]

:eek:

[QUOTE=Wall Street Superstar;3527372]I think after watching TJ last year, it became apparent that he wasn't the specific reason for the big rushing numbers, but rather the offensive line.

LT can still provide veteran leadership, and has the potential to be a dominant player. He had to have lost something, but he was that good that it is a no-brainer to add a guy like him when you have a push up front like the Jets do.[/QUOTE]

True. But as a FO, you have to be totally convinced Greene can do the heavy lifting for a full 16 games plus playoffs. That'll be the key. My point is with TJ on the roster, he's a fall-back position. Not true with LT.
    Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 03-15-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: oh, oh...just saw that Kornheiser agrees with me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3527380]True. But as a FO, you have to be totally convinced Greene can do the heavy lifting for a full 16 games plus playoffs. That'll be the key. My point is with TJ on the roster, he's a fall-back position. Not true with LT.[/QUOTE]

If Maroney gets hurt who do the Pats fall back on?? 34 year old Taylor or one of the 33 year old Morris or Faulk?? And if you waiting for the draft to pick up a RB who says we don't??

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3527380]True. But as a FO, you have to be totally convinced Greene can do the heavy lifting for a full 16 games plus playoffs. That'll be the key. My point is with TJ on the roster, he's a fall-back position. Not true with LT.[/QUOTE]

27 - 78
    15 - 34
    14 - 41
    16 - 42

2 receptions

Those are TJ's numbers from his last four games, including the playoffs. If that's your "fall-back" position, then your team is ass out if option A fails. Why people believe LT is washed up but TJ isn't is mind-boggling to me.

[QUOTE=GreenWave;3527406]27 - 78
    15 - 34
    14 - 41
    16 - 42

2 receptions

Those are TJ's numbers from his last four games, including the playoffs. If that's your "fall-back" position, then your team is ass out if option A fails. [B]Why people believe LT is washed up but TJ isn't is mind-boggling to me[/B].[/QUOTE]

Well, because of STATS, of course! Haven't you seen the STATS?? It's all about the STATS!!!

(well, except for the ones you've provided, or any others that show this isn't NEAR the big deal some are making it out to be . . .:rolleyes:)

[QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3527199]I would think it's easy to understand those who look at the Jet's #1 running game last year and don't agree with the FO who said, "Let's blow it up!". Sure, in theory it seems okay, LT will just be a backup and Greene will be the feature back. But what if that doesn't work out? Keep Jones and the team has the option of flipping back a year and trying to duplicate 2009 success. No chance of that now as I think everyone agrees LT doesn't have what it takes to be the feature back. The FO screwed the pooch on this one. Seems like a pure PSL driven move to me.:yes:[/QUOTE]

well, I can't really fault a Pats fan for telling people what it looks like for a team to flush their rushing game down the toilet, but since it's been a while since you have witnessed a consistent ground game, I also can't fault you for your errors in that respect as well.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=OCCH;3527424]Well, because of STATS, of course! Haven't you seen the STATS?? It's all about the STATS!!!

(well, except for the ones you've provided, or any others that show this isn't NEAR the big deal some are making it out to be . . .:rolleyes:)[/QUOTE]

lol screw stats i watched the games especially the AFC Championship Game where Greene got hurt. and Jones was beyond ineffective that day.

All League
    [QUOTE=Vinny Patrollie;3527199]I would think it's easy to understand those who look at the Jet's #1 running game last year and don't agree with the FO who said, "Let's blow it up!". Sure, in theory it seems okay, LT will just be a backup and Greene will be the feature back. But what if that doesn't work out? Keep Jones and the team has the option of flipping back a year and trying to duplicate 2009 success. No chance of that now as I think everyone agrees LT doesn't have what it takes to be the feature back. The FO screwed the pooch on this one. Seems like a pure PSL driven move to me.:yes:[/QUOTE]
    Why does everyone think that every time the Jets make a move it is based soley on selling PSL's?

I don't think LT has the star power to sell PSL's... at least not at this point in his career.

For reasons we have discussed ad naseaum on this board, the Jets felt it was time to move on from TJ. When he gave the Jets a chance to match KC's offer, I am guessing he wanted a guarantee that he would not be a backup. The Jets were unwilling to make that commitment so TJ went to KC. At that point, I think the Jets took a [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]look around and for the BAP, who most would agree was LT and made a play for him. [/FONT][/COLOR]

I don't get it. I must say, I really don't get it.

There were at least a couple of better options IMO.

1) Why not draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who would have come MUCH cheaper than LT and would have served the same purpose?

2) If we were going to pay 2.6 million per for a backup RB, why didn't we just keep Thomas Jones? We already had a proven commodity in Jones.

I do not disagree that we needed another RB and I wouldn't have been opposed to using FA to get a RB, I just DO NOT see the logic in signing LT of all people? Are we into big names these days? Have we become the Patriots signing former great players from other teams?

I just think some where a long the way logic was lost in the HYSTERIA of signing a sure fire hall-of-famer....

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3527611]I don't get it. I must say, I really don't get it.

1) Why not draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who would have come MUCH cheaper than LT and would have served the same purpose?

2) If we were going to pay 2.6 million per for a backup RB, why didn't we just keep Thomas Jones? We already had a proven commodity in Jones.

I do not disagree that we needed another RB and I wouldn't have been opposed to using FA to get a RB, I just DO NOT see the logic in signing LT of all people? Are we into big names these days? Have we become the Patriots signing former great players from other teams?

I just think some where a long the way logic was lost in the HYSTERIA of signing a sure fire hall-of-famer....[/QUOTE]

I would bet Schotty had a lot to do with the decision. LT gives him more flexibility that TJ. I think he sold Ryan and Woody that LT would add a dimension to the offense it didn't have before. They'll draft a RB as well, just not very high...

[QUOTE=GreenWave;3527406]27 - 78
    15 - 34
    14 - 41
    16 - 42

2 receptions

Those are TJ's numbers from his last four games, including the playoffs. If that's your "fall-back" position, then your team is ass out if option A fails. Why people believe LT is washed up but TJ isn't is mind-boggling to me.[/QUOTE]

TJ was worn down by the end of the year after 300+ carries. LT was washed up from the beginning. No comparison. TJ likely will decline next year, LT already has fallen off the cliff.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jpoppy7;3527643]TJ was worn down by the end of the year after 300+ carries. LT was washed up from the beginning. No comparison. TJ likely will decline next year, LT already has fallen off the cliff.[/QUOTE]

You don't think it's possible to "fall off the cliff" mid year? TJ obviously showed the beginning of the decline last year. The numbers quoted in the post you responded to are more to me than just normal wearing out.

His speed and burst has been virtually non-existent. He doesn't really do anything except run slowly through the holes that are there for him. LT can do that, too. Rex and Tanny were going after him so aggressively because they think Tomlinson is an upgrade over TJ.

And I'm sure this contract is not crippling in any way. He will be cut if he's ineffective.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;3527635]I would bet Schotty had a lot to do with the decision. LT gives him more flexibility that TJ. I think he sold Ryan and Woody that LT would add a dimension to the offense it didn't have before. They'll draft a RB as well, just not very high...[/QUOTE]

Even so. What makes us think Schotty will utilize LT in the proper fashion and playcalls? He didn't do too much for Leon in the same regard. Woody loves those PSLs. If you think that had zero influence on this move then I don't even know what to tell you.

There are talented Rbs in the draft in mid round picks. Leon in the 4th, greene in the 3rd. So whats the problem tanny?

If they draft a solid RB then I keep my mouth shut for the rest of the season.

[QUOTE=Mainejet;3527611]I don't get it. I must say, I really don't get it.

I just think some where a long the way logic was lost in the HYSTERIA of signing a sure fire hall-of-famer....[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

- We don't have a 3rd round pick

- Who in the 4th round or lower will be as good as LT?

- Why spend our 3rd pick (4th round) on a position of strength, LT will 1 of 3 RB's in our offense this year.

- We are spending less than 50% of what it would have cost us to bring Jones back for another year, who is a year younger, and a more dynamic player, if healthy, LT is still in the upper 1/3 of the league, even now.

- He still covets a championship, and he will play with an edge to prove people wrong, and he will do it with a coach like Rex who I think LT will respond to very well, and he is reunited with Schotty Jr, and flourished under his father.

- The only people making this a bigger deal than it needs to be is the media and the haters, we got a bargain deal for a future HOF, who is still just 30 years old, to play a role in our rushing attack.

I wish people would get a clue.

Practice Squad
    I wonder if any members of the media are gonna ask LT how he felt watching Greene cop his endzone tea cup move after destroying Eric Weddle.

Is it August yet?

Jets Insider VIP
    Like I said before, I don't care how washed up LT supposedly is. If you watched the guy last year you would see that he still hits the hole twice as hard as Jones.

He also offers more versatility catching the ball out of the backfield and lining up in the slot. It seemed like TJ couldn't catch a pass to save his life last season.

A lot of people like to point to Jones' 1400 yards rushing last year as a reason why we should've kept him and passed on LT. You guys do realize that Jones wouldn't have come close to that this year, right? Shonn Greene was going to be our starter regardless.

As a change of pace back, I definitely favor Tomlinson over Jones. Again, LT is more versatile and Jones was always the kind of guy who got better as the game went on. He needed a ton of carries just to get in his rhythm.

I like the move.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    [QUOTE=Savage69;3527391]If Maroney gets hurt who do the Pats fall back on?? 34 year old Taylor or one of the 33 year old Morris or Faulk?? And if you waiting for the draft to pick up a RB who says we don't??[/QUOTE]

Owned.

Pats-Trollie says he is "just trying to talk football", while that may be a half truth, hes obviously trying to be "logical", while insulting the Jets every chance he gets.

Your right on Savage,

Maroney, Morris, and Taylor all are subpar. Morris is close to 35, Taylor is injured yearly and FAR over the hill, and Maroney is an underachiever who has yet to sniff 1000 yards, so it wouldnt make much difference if he got hurt anyways, its not like he is good.

But the Jets are the ones that should be concerned.:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    the Jets now have three running backs that are all way better than Maroney the first round bust and the three AARP members who are his backups for Team Cheating Douchebag