I think after watching TJ last year, it became apparent that he wasn't the specific reason for the big rushing numbers, but rather the offensive line.
LT can still provide veteran leadership, and has the potential to be a dominant player. He had to have lost something, but he was that good that it is a no-brainer to add a guy like him when you have a push up front like the Jets do.
Last edited by Vinny Patrollie; 03-15-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: oh, oh...just saw that Kornheiser agrees with me.
15 - 34
14 - 41
16 - 42
Those are TJ's numbers from his last four games, including the playoffs. If that's your "fall-back" position, then your team is ass out if option A fails. Why people believe LT is washed up but TJ isn't is mind-boggling to me.
I don't think LT has the star power to sell PSL's... at least not at this point in his career.
For reasons we have discussed ad naseaum on this board, the Jets felt it was time to move on from TJ. When he gave the Jets a chance to match KC's offer, I am guessing he wanted a guarantee that he would not be a backup. The Jets were unwilling to make that commitment so TJ went to KC. At that point, I think the Jets took a look around and for the BAP, who most would agree was LT and made a play for him.
I don't get it. I must say, I really don't get it.
There were at least a couple of better options IMO.
1) Why not draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who would have come MUCH cheaper than LT and would have served the same purpose?
2) If we were going to pay 2.6 million per for a backup RB, why didn't we just keep Thomas Jones? We already had a proven commodity in Jones.
I do not disagree that we needed another RB and I wouldn't have been opposed to using FA to get a RB, I just DO NOT see the logic in signing LT of all people? Are we into big names these days? Have we become the Patriots signing former great players from other teams?
I just think some where a long the way logic was lost in the HYSTERIA of signing a sure fire hall-of-famer....
His speed and burst has been virtually non-existent. He doesn't really do anything except run slowly through the holes that are there for him. LT can do that, too. Rex and Tanny were going after him so aggressively because they think Tomlinson is an upgrade over TJ.
And I'm sure this contract is not crippling in any way. He will be cut if he's ineffective.
There are talented Rbs in the draft in mid round picks. Leon in the 4th, greene in the 3rd. So whats the problem tanny?
If they draft a solid RB then I keep my mouth shut for the rest of the season.
- We don't have a 3rd round pick
- Who in the 4th round or lower will be as good as LT?
- Why spend our 3rd pick (4th round) on a position of strength, LT will 1 of 3 RB's in our offense this year.
- We are spending less than 50% of what it would have cost us to bring Jones back for another year, who is a year younger, and a more dynamic player, if healthy, LT is still in the upper 1/3 of the league, even now.
- He still covets a championship, and he will play with an edge to prove people wrong, and he will do it with a coach like Rex who I think LT will respond to very well, and he is reunited with Schotty Jr, and flourished under his father.
- The only people making this a bigger deal than it needs to be is the media and the haters, we got a bargain deal for a future HOF, who is still just 30 years old, to play a role in our rushing attack.
I wish people would get a clue.
I wonder if any members of the media are gonna ask LT how he felt watching Greene cop his endzone tea cup move after destroying Eric Weddle.
Is it August yet?
Like I said before, I don't care how washed up LT supposedly is. If you watched the guy last year you would see that he still hits the hole twice as hard as Jones.
He also offers more versatility catching the ball out of the backfield and lining up in the slot. It seemed like TJ couldn't catch a pass to save his life last season.
A lot of people like to point to Jones' 1400 yards rushing last year as a reason why we should've kept him and passed on LT. You guys do realize that Jones wouldn't have come close to that this year, right? Shonn Greene was going to be our starter regardless.
As a change of pace back, I definitely favor Tomlinson over Jones. Again, LT is more versatile and Jones was always the kind of guy who got better as the game went on. He needed a ton of carries just to get in his rhythm.
I like the move.
Pats-Trollie says he is "just trying to talk football", while that may be a half truth, hes obviously trying to be "logical", while insulting the Jets every chance he gets.
Your right on Savage,
Maroney, Morris, and Taylor all are subpar. Morris is close to 35, Taylor is injured yearly and FAR over the hill, and Maroney is an underachiever who has yet to sniff 1000 yards, so it wouldnt make much difference if he got hurt anyways, its not like he is good.
But the Jets are the ones that should be concerned.
the Jets now have three running backs that are all way better than Maroney the first round bust and the three AARP members who are his backups for Team Cheating Douchebag