View Poll Results: Are You Happy we signed LT?

Voters
321. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

235 73.21%
  • NO

35 10.90%
  • Whatever

51 15.89%
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Thread: DONE DEAL: Tomlinson Signs W/Jets (merged)

[QUOTE=Untouchable;3527877]Like I said before, I don't care how washed up LT supposedly is. If you watched the guy last year you would see that he still hits the hole twice as hard as Jones.

He also offers more versatility catching the ball out of the backfield and lining up in the slot. It seemed like TJ couldn't catch a pass to save his life last season.

A lot of people like to point to Jones' 1400 yards rushing last year as a reason why we should've kept him and passed on LT. You guys do realize that Jones wouldn't have come close to that this year, right? Shonn Greene was going to be our starter regardless.

As a change of pace back, I definitely favor Tomlinson over Jones. Again, LT is more versatile and Jones was always the kind of guy who got better as the game went on. He needed a ton of carries just to get in his rhythm.

I like the move.[/QUOTE]

There's nothing wrong with replacing an old washed up veteran running back with old washed up veteran running back. I do like the spin of versatility. Tomlinson does do more things badly than TJ does. TJ while totally over rated and well past his prime is limited in the over all aspects of the game that he no longer is good at. Tomlinson can suck in both the pass and run game while TJ is limited to only sucking in the run game.

The best thing that could happen is we get lucky with a late round pick or a late TC cut that allows us to cut Tomlinson and move on.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-16-2010 at 08:52 AM.

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;3527981]There's nothing wrong with replacing an old washed up veteran running back with old washed up veteran running back. I do like the spin of versatility. Tomlinson does do more things badly than TJ does. TJ while totally over rated and well past his prime is limited in the over all aspects of the game that he no longer is good at. Tomlinson can suck in both the pass and run game while TJ is limited to only sucking in the run game.

The best thing that could happen is we get lucky with a late round pick or a late TC cut that allows us to cut Tomlinson and move on.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is you're SO sure of your ability to assess talent better than the Jets FO that you're already cutting the guy and hoping we "get lucky" in the late rounds . . .

Man, I WISH they had talked to you first!!!:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP

Article - What were the Jets thinking?

I agree totally. Just a dumb move by this organization to sign LT.

[URL="http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whos-more-deluded-lt-or-the-jets"]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whos-more-deluded-lt-or-the-jets[/URL]

There's a thread.

We discuss LT in it.

Post the article.

Get flamed.

Good luck :thumbup:

Now I understand where the term "The villiage is missing thier idiot" comes from...

:rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Having LT as one of our three runningbacks is going to doom us :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter that we have arguably the best offensive line coming back intact for the third consecutive season, doesn't matter that Bill Callahan, the best in the business, is going to coordinate the running game, and of course we couldn't just give more carries to Greene and Leon Washington IF Tomlinson wasn't effective. Doomed.

yet, the broncos keep putting rbs in their system and have success... but the jets couldn't do that, even though they have a few probowlers on the line...

All Pro
    Okay, so the Jets and Vikings organizations are just plain stupid. They clearly don't get it. Tomlinson should be ashamed of himself for thinking that he can actually play football. I mean, he averaged only 3.3 yards/carry last year. It can only mean that he has lost his legs, run out of gas, is over the hill, too old, beat up, lost. No other explanation can be allowed because then the Chargers would look like idiots, and we know that they would never throw away a quality running back if he still had some gas in the tank.... oh wait, didn't Michael Turner play for SD? And what happened to Darren Sproles? Could there actually be something amiss with SD's run game? Impossible. Tomlinson is a grifter... a washed up bum. You heard it here last. All the reporters know the truth. They can read the tea leaves better than NFL coaches and they have declared LT done. How can we, mere fans, argue with such wisdom? :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    it appears that everyone but Joe W Namath is wrong on this issue

[QUOTE=OCCH;3528025]So what you're saying is you're SO sure of your ability to assess talent better than the Jets FO that you're already cutting the guy and hoping we "get lucky" in the late rounds . . .

Man, I WISH they had talked to you first!!!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

That's not what I'm saying at all but thanks for putting words in my mouth. :rolleyes: I love sarcasm but get it right.

LT was as done as burnt toast last year and a team that is going to compete for a SB with no running game options cut him. The Jets seem to think Jones is done and cut him. Both moves that I can't argue with.

I'm comfortable with the Jets taking an insurance policy with a washed up Vet (per the SD Chargers staff) especially since he is replacing washed up vet (Per the Jets Staff). I and I presume you and every Jets fan would outright love it if we picked someone up in the draft or if we picked up a late cut that proved they deserved a spot on the roster and allowed us to cut LT becuase it would mean we actually upgraded the postition.

Don't presume LT was signed for any reason other than as insurance. Teams carry 3rd and 4th string backs for a variety of reasons including the NY Jets. This move is about the Jets having options in the draft and with Leon. It doesn't mean they think LT has it in him to be a big contributor. They might but they might not.
    Last edited by Winstonbiggs; 03-16-2010 at 05:20 PM.

"What were the Jets thinking?"

Super Bowl baby!

It was after the 1st line of the article that I stopped reading. Hey dumb a$$, crowd wasn't booing LT - crowd was booing the playcalling!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;3527611]I don't get it. I must say, I really don't get it.

There were at least a couple of better options IMO.

1) Why not draft a guy in the 3rd or 4th round who would have come MUCH cheaper than LT and would have served the same purpose?

2) If we were going to pay 2.6 million per for a backup RB, why didn't we just keep Thomas Jones? We already had a proven commodity in Jones.

I do not disagree that we needed another RB and I wouldn't have been opposed to using FA to get a RB, I just DO NOT see the logic in signing LT of all people? Are we into big names these days? Have we become the Patriots signing former great players from other teams?

I just think some where a long the way logic was lost in the HYSTERIA of signing a sure fire hall-of-famer....[/QUOTE]

To address your points as succinctly as possible:

[B]1) [U]Drafting a RB in 3rd or 4th[/U].[/B]

The Jets can still draft a RB in the 4th (no 3rd rounder). In fact, the LT signing makes that a greater possibility since the Jets can go BAP in the draft in more rounds.

That rookie RB, however, can't be given the keys to the backup job. That's more risky than signing a vet. The Jets are having LT on a limited number of carries behind a better Oline than he had in San Diego.

[B]2) [U]Should have kept Jones instead[/U][/B].

Greene can't catch and neither can Jones. So Jones is merely an older, inferior version of Greene. If Jones can't run then he's useless.

LT, on the other hand, can catch the ball out of the backfield. Thus, he provides the Jets with a different dynamic than Jones.

Further, Jones is not a "proven" commodity as a backup. In fact, he may be a proven failure in that role. By Jones own admission he needs "more carries to get going." If the Jets are going to give Greene more carries since he's better, Jones will be inneffective as the backup.

We can't just chalk up injury to Jones' 2.6 ypc in the postseason where Greene had the most carries.

This is not a "big name signing." The Jets signed LT to be a backup for backup money.

31 yr old Chester Taylor signed a 4 year deal at $4 million per. Compare that to what the Jets are paying LT. Now tell me that the Jets only did it to "sign a name."

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;3528757]yet, the broncos keep putting rbs in their system and have success... but the jets couldn't do that, even though they have a few probowlers on the line...[/QUOTE]

The broncos had a [B]WHITE[/B] runningback that completely tore us a new one...its all about the line and blocking scheme.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;3528751]Having LT as one of our three runningbacks is going to doom us :rolleyes:

Doesn't matter that we have arguably the best offensive line coming back intact for the third consecutive season, doesn't matter that Bill Callahan, the best in the business, is going to coordinate the running game, and of course we couldn't just give more carries to Greene and Leon Washington IF Tomlinson wasn't effective. Doomed.[/QUOTE]

I never realized that a BACKUP RB SIGNED FOR BACKUP MONEY could be a team's undoing.

Been a while since I read any of Kriegel's garbage. Can't say I miss it. As someone stated signing a backup running back is our undoing? I don't think so.

Hall Of Fame
    The fans and media folks ripping the LT signing are forgetting (or conveniently omitting) one thing:

The Thomas Jones the Jets cut was not the Thomas Jones of 5 years ago. It was a 32 year old Thomas Jones who fell off a cliff at the end of last year. As Parcells used to say, "When backs go, they go fast."

So depending on how much LT has left in the tank, this will be at worst a wash if both backs are done. If not my money is on LT to have the better year because the Jets have the better system and personnel. He will be more effective catching passes and getting 10-15 carries a game behind our o-line, than Jones will running behind a horrendous Chiefs' o-line.

Something else I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Is it possible the Jets were protecting themselves against the very real possibility of Leon not being able to come all the way back from his injury? For as good as he was in other areas, TJ couldn't catch a cold and Jets needed a safety valve for Sanchez. That was painfully obvious after Leon went down, and even somewhat before. So for the same money essentially they exchanged one old back who couldn't be a factor in the passing game for another who could. Smart move on their part if it's true, but of course the usual Jet haters and self-loathers among the Jets crowd fail to acknowledge that.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;3528714]I agree totally. Just a dumb move by this organization to sign LT.

[URL]http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/whos-more-deluded-lt-or-the-jets[/URL][/QUOTE]
    Joe, your humor escapes most; but I love ya.

Never change.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

No material upgrade from Jones.