Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets at the Alabama Pro Day

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets at the Alabama Pro Day

I've been outta the loop this past week, so I wasn't sure if anyone saw or heard this:

". . . The most impressive Pro Day so far, in my humble, was at Alabama where every NFL team was represented and the freakin' New York Jets came with coach Rex Ryan, GM Mike Tannenbaum, and former Dolphin and current defensive line coach Bryan Cox among others.

A source tells me the Jets were there to take a close look at Terrence Cody. And he didn't disappoint, weighing in at 349 pounds, which is lower than he weighed at the Combine. Interestingly, Cody lifted only 22 bench-press reps of 225 pounds. That's amazing for you and me.

For an NFL nose tackle? Merely OK.

[B]I nonetheless get the feeling the Jets are sizing up the Mount for a possible late first-round selection.[/B]"

[url]http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/the-first-wave-of-free-agency-has-come-and-gone-and-has-left-several-players----julius-peppers-dunta-robinson-and-yes-karl.html[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Three observations:

1) Please God No!!!!
    2) Even if you feel he is going to be great, his agent is Alvin Keels. If the #29 pick comes down to Cody and somebody else (with the Jets ranking them relatively close), this has to play a factor (knowing Keels, he'd likely demand $30 million guaranteed).
    3) The "freakin Jets"? Do Miami writers even try to hide their homer tendencies? Not that this is exactly news, but when's the last time you heard a New York newspaper refer to the "freakin Dolphins" (or freakin Patriots for that matter).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Terence Cody would be a welcomed addition for me. Him an Jenks up front is a lot to handle.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Rex Ryan takes the guy I will reserve judgment. The man came out of the womb knowing defense. I wouldn't be ecstatic, but I would assume Rex thinks he can turn him into something special.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex knows he'd be very lucky to land Cody. Parcells' global theory is true man.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SenorGato;3525234]Rex knows he'd be very lucky to land Cody. Parcells' global theory is true man.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anybody feels lucky to get an unmotivated blob with man boobs.

Still he's an option and it makes sense to address the postion as big Jenks is aging and coming off a major surgery in a position where guys need to rotate. Furthermore, he should be available.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3525240]I don't think anybody feels lucky to get an unmotivated blob with man boobs.

Still he's an option and it makes sense to address the postion as big Jenks is aging and coming off a major surgery in a position where guys need to rotate. Furthermore, he should be available.[/QUOTE]

How is he unmotivated or even remotely acting like it? And what does his looks have to do with it?

A D coach like Rex loves guys like Cody...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Cody gets his act together he could be a main stay in this league for a long time as a 3-4 two down run stuffing nose tackle.

If we were able to put Cody on the nose with Jenkins on the end in some packages that would be huge. Good luck running against that!

And they could both demand double teams allowing for other guys to run wild. I am all for Cody if the Jets come away thinking he is good value at 29.

Or this could force a team to trade back into the first round to grab him knowing that we might select him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bronxville Jets Fan;3525191]I've been outta the loop this past week, so I wasn't sure if anyone saw or heard this:

". . . The most impressive Pro Day so far, in my humble, was at Alabama [B]where every NFL team was represented and the freakin' New York Jets came with coach Rex Ryan, GM Mike Tannenbaum, and former Dolphin and current defensive line coach Bryan Cox among others[/B].

A source tells me the Jets were there to take a close look at Terrence Cody. And he didn't disappoint, weighing in at 349 pounds, which is lower than he weighed at the Combine. Interestingly, Cody lifted only 22 bench-press reps of 225 pounds. That's amazing for you and me.

For an NFL nose tackle? Merely OK.

I nonetheless get the feeling the Jets are sizing up the Mount for a possible late first-round selection[B].[/B]"

[URL]http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2010/03/the-first-wave-of-free-agency-has-come-and-gone-and-has-left-several-players----julius-peppers-dunta-robinson-and-yes-karl.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Someone needs to tell the miamiherald Cox isn't a Jets coach. He's the Browns DL coach.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have no problem if we take Cody at #29.

Quality NT's are essential to a 3-4 defense and good ones are hard to find.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=David Harris;3525240]I don't think anybody feels lucky to get an unmotivated blob with man boobs.

Still he's an option and it makes sense to address the postion as big Jenks is aging and coming off a major surgery in a position where guys need to rotate. Furthermore, he should be available.[/QUOTE]

you have to consider late in round two, depending on who else is available...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3525315]you have to consider late in round two, depending on who else is available...[/QUOTE]

CBNY I know we agree on Cody being below average at the moment, but in terms of possible upside where do you see his being if someone can motivate him to build muscle/lose fat? What his max potential if he did everything right?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;3525319]CBNY I know we agree on Cody being below average at the moment, but in terms of possible upside where do you see his being if someone can motivate him to build muscle/lose fat? What his max potential if he did everything right?[/QUOTE]

at the low end of the scale....consider this- he was told after last season his weight was an issue by pro-scouts and his coaches at Bama....Bama put in place goals and weight limitations he was suppose to hit throughout the summer and season which was suppose to allow him to play...

once it was obvious he was in no way going to hit them they went out the window....the only reason he's shed a few pound recently is he smells the money rather than the barbecue....oh, and he's represented by the worst possible agent to handle the situation at present time....

that aside he's also at the very bottom of the athletic scale for defensive linemen and these people who claim his "game tape is awesome" are delusional....it's one thing to watch youtube highlights or a game on tv....it's a completely different animal to watch actual game film....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3525315]you have to consider late in round two, depending on who else is available...[/QUOTE]

Eh? I thought the guy was pure garbage?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st team all american
    1st team all sec

if we say a guy is worth a round 2 selection, that means he's pretty darn good. There are great players taken in round 2 every year.

let's stop all this "he's either round 1 or he's garbage" routine.. especially this year, the deepest crop for 30 years according to Casserly, there are gonna be guys with round 1 grades in round 2.

Terrence Cody, whether he goes in round 1, 2, 3 or 7 is an excellent football player. He was an anchor on the nation's best defense and 3-4 teams need guys like him.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3525372]Eh? I thought the guy was pure garbage?[/QUOTE]

I didn't say run up to the table with the card ASAP- I said consider him....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    All-American and All-SEC as a Jr and Sr. correct? How can he be that bad?
    He seems like the exact opposite of Mike Mamula, great football seasons and bad combine.

Mamula is still a legend in Philly, the poor bastard can't go anywhere without someone saying stuff to him.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3525448]1st team all american
    1st team all sec

if we say a guy is worth a round 2 selection, that means he's pretty darn good. There are great players taken in round 2 every year.

let's stop all this "he's either round 1 or he's garbage" routine.. especially this year, the deepest crop for 30 years according to Casserly, there are gonna be guys with round 1 grades in round 2.

Terrence Cody, whether he goes in round 1, 2, 3 or 7 is an excellent football player. He was an anchor on the nation's best defense and 3-4 teams need guys like him.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Tim Tebow won a heisman trophy besides being a 3x AA and AC player.....means squat when teams are deciding who to select....

actually he's a lot like Mamuala- in college Mamuala had a guy named Stephen Boyd to clean up his mistakes and make him look good....Cody had several players who did the same for him at Bama....

[QUOTE=cr726;3525487]All-American and All-SEC as a Jr and Sr. correct? How can he be that bad?
    He seems like the exact opposite of Mike Mamula, great football seasons and bad combine.

Mamula is still a legend in Philly, the poor bastard can't go anywhere without someone saying stuff to him.[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tim Tebow? Everyone knows about his problems as a QB, with that being said, if a team was going to do the Wildcat full time, Tebow would be the #1 pick. Cody is a NT for a 3-4 defense, he played it in college and was successful. It is a team game and Cody helped his team too.
    Mamula was a one-time All Big-East player and was avg at best, the combine made him.

[QUOTE=Come Back to NY;3525527]Tim Tebow won a heisman trophy besides being a 3x AA and AC player.....means squat when teams are deciding who to select....

actually he's a lot like Mamuala- in college Mamuala had a guy named Stephen Boyd to clean up his mistakes and make him look good....Cody had several players who did the same for him at Bama....[/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    everyone also knows about cody's problems as well....

mamula average at best??? he had seventeen sacks as a senior at BC after double digit sacks the prior year....that sounds about average...:rolleyes:

btw- are you inferring BC sucked when Mamula played or he somehow didn't help the team??

[QUOTE=cr726;3525551]Tim Tebow? Everyone knows about his problems as a QB, with that being said, if a team was going to do the Wildcat full time, Tebow would be the #1 pick. Cody is a NT for a 3-4 defense, he played it in college and was successful. It is a team game and Cody helped his team too.
    Mamula was a one-time All Big-East player and was avg at best, the combine made him.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 03-14-2010 at 04:00 PM.