Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about leon?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he is healthy, he will return kicks and play in four and five wide formations, spell LT as the third down guy and probably run the Seminole

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    leon cannot be relied upon for anything in 2010

his injury was gruesome and not easily recovered in 1 year

he will probably be recovering for most of this year and not back to full speed until 2011

and he's not a spring chicken anymore. Gotta be pushing 30 soon.

in other words "what about leon?" his career essentially ended that day in oakland.

I hope to be wrong but I dont think I am.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3526522]leon cannot be relied upon for anything in 2010

he will probably be recovering for most of this year and not back to full speed until 2011

in other words "what about leon?" his career essentially ended that day in oakland.

I hope to be wrong but I dont think I am.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya Bitonte.
    I keep hearing things like, "he's ahead of schedule ect."
    It's been a long time already since the injury, which proves this was no ordinary injury.
    How long will it take, "mentally". That was a gruesome injury.
    Someone grabs Leon for a 2 Tanny would be nuts not to take it. If fact, I wouldn't be surprised if someone offered Tanny a high 3, he'd be on it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfaneh;3526221]I love Leon but his agent is proving to be impossible to work with. I would take a 2nd for him in a heartbeat. Fine with him coming back too though if there are no takers.[/QUOTE]

+1
    His agent is really being an a$$. When the Jets tendered him and didn't offer a huge deal his agent basically said "OK we are going to look elsewhere and now he doesn't want to come back". Kind of reminds me of what Boras was doing with A-Rod which almost completely screwed his client.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have we forgotten what Leon can do???

In my opinion, Tanny is a genius for tendering him with a 2nd. He knows that if someone is crazy enough to go for the bait, he will match whatever offer he is given. I seriously doubt he's going anywhere.

Before the injury some people were saying "Pay the man what he wants". LW is a game changer, we all know this, and Tanny would be dumb to let him go.

Coming off his injury, Leon won't be much of a risk for the FO because he's not earning that much this year anyway. Let him come back slowly and keep him fresh for December and January (hopefully), let him earn the contract he wants this year and prove to the Jets that he has overcome his injury.

Leon should be a Jet for life.

Just let Youtube Doubler refresh your memory :)

[URL="http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWvTliO4jxrk&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH2hzVV2Nwfs&start2=10&authorName=Real"][B]Mute the volume on the Leon clip on the left cuz the song sucks balls and let The Chemical Brothers play on the right.[/B][/URL]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

[B]his injury was gruesome and not easily recovered in 1 year

he will probably be recovering for most of this year and not back to full speed until 2011 [/B]

Is this just your personal opinion, or have you seen/read something that solidifies your hypothisis?

Just curious.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=K-Ro 25;3526255]Looks like most of us have forgotten how explosive he was just 2 seasons ago.[/QUOTE]

Seriously... This dude was a beast for us. I can't remember how many threads I saw about people complaining that Shotty didn't use him enough. He is a beast.

BUT, the problem is that it doesn't look like we will ever give him an offer he's happy with. This is the last year before he is an UFA so we might be better off having another team pay us for him now or else he will be the third back for us for a year and then leave as a UFA and we get nothing.

I think if another team picked him up I wouldn't be sad at all, I'd actually be kinda happy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3526205]I have no sympathy for Leon. Tanny offered him a great contract at more than he was worth and he was/is being a first class assh0le.[/QUOTE]

:steamin:I have no sympathy for you:mad:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;3532886]Is this just your personal opinion, or have you seen/read something that solidifies your hypothisis?

Just curious.[/QUOTE]

some people think they are doctors on here. athletes recover a lot quicker these days. players recover from torn acl's in less than a year (tom brady). the only thing i am expecting from leon is that he'll be back at full strength. and screw all the jets fans that wanted leon to get more touches and now want him gone for a 2nd/3rd round garbage pick.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you listen to Tanny, he has already said that with the style of football the Jets play, the Jets can never have too many rbs and dbs. Leon will get plenty of opportunities this season to be a factor on offense. IMO, the Jets will spread the load of their running game between the three different backs so that they are all not over worked heading towards the end of the season. Also, imagine when we run our version of the Wild Cat and we have Brad Smith, Leon and LT out on the field at the same time. Both Smith and LT can throw the ball and Leon and LT are excellent receiving running backs. We should have a lot of different running styles to throw at opposing teams' defenses next season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    lmao Leon Washington was the BEST player on the new york jets in 2008. The guy is an absolute monster, our biggest play-maker on offense. Just because we made the AFCCG without him doesn't mean we don't need him. Hell, who is to say we wouldn't be hosting the lombardi if leon was there to runt he ball when Greene went down in indy?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=david1023;3532884]Have we forgotten what Leon [B]can[/B] do???

In my opinion, Tanny is a genius for tendering him with a 2nd. He knows that if someone is crazy enough to go for the bait, he will match whatever offer he is given. I seriously doubt he's going anywhere.

Before the injury some people were saying "Pay the man what he wants". LW is a game changer, we all know this, and Tanny would be dumb to let him go.

Coming off his injury, Leon won't be much of a risk for the FO because he's not earning that much this year anyway. Let him come back slowly and keep him fresh for December and January (hopefully), let him earn the contract he wants this year and prove to the Jets that he has overcome his injury.

Leon should be a Jet for life.

Just let Youtube Doubler refresh your memory :)

[URL="http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWvTliO4jxrk&start1=0&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DH2hzVV2Nwfs&start2=10&authorName=Real"][B]Mute the volume on the Leon clip on the left cuz the song sucks balls and let The Chemical Brothers play on the right.[/B][/URL][/QUOTE]

It's not can do, it's [B]could[/B] do and that's the problem. He's a big question mark right now.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What the hell is wrong with a lot of Jet fans around here? What? Just because we signed L.T, Leon Washington no longer has a roster spot or at least a chance to make plays? My ass.

Remember when the Giants had Earth, Wind and Fire? All 3 of those backs deserved rushing attempts; All 3 of those backs earned playing time.

With a young QB in Mark Sanchez, who's only been in the league for 2 years now... The Jets will use all 3 RB's and Leon Washington will be a big part of our 2010 Success. Marty's Boy will make sure of that.

We now have our explosive KR back, Leon Washington broke his leg, it's not like he tore and blew out his ACL/MCL; Leon will recover and he'll also recover as an explosive athlete.

What about putting Leon Washington in the slot at times? We could have either L.T or Shonn Greene as our HB in single back formations with Edwards and Cotchery on the outside, along with Keller and Leon playing the slots when we go 5 wide. Weapons everywhere on the field.

What about running a shot gun formation with L.T on one side, along with Leon on the other? Which side would the screen play come from? Thats something that opposing D's will have to worry about.

How about running the Wild-Cat formation about 2-3 times per game on 2nd and short, 3rd and short? Brad Smith would be under center (Ronnie Brown), We could use Shonn Greene in the backfield (Ricky Williams), with Leon Washington as our back opposite of Shonn Greene... Could be explosive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

[B]in other words "what about leon?" his career essentially ended that day in oakland. [/B]

Wow Bit, that's harsh. I hope you're wrong, but I trust your football acumen. I love Leon, I hope he defies the odds.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are wrong.

I am not a Doktor but I believe he broke his fibula which I would think is not as bad as a knee or ankle (the bendy parts of the leg) injury. The bone just has to heal. But what do I know. I'd really like to hear what one of our resident physicians think (in general) about a fibula break.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3526521]If he is healthy, he will return kicks and play in four and five wide formations, spell LT as the third down guy and probably run the Seminole[/QUOTE]

I think Brad Smith is far better than Leon at running the Wildcat and returning kicks..I think Leon if healthy will be a third down back and an option in 4/5 wr sets..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;3526211]He's 28 coming off a bad leg break. Although it's possible he'll come back at full strength, we'd be getting a pretty good deal for a 2nd rounder.[/QUOTE]

I agree...but I want him back..he gives us as good of an option as anyone...and not just on 3nd down..I think the leg will be ok...I hope...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Whether you're a Schottenheimer fan or not, the guy is definitely very creative. He's got to be excited about having all these offensive weapons, easily the best offensive personnel since he's been our OC.

As far as Leon, I think we'll see some two-back sets with him and Greene or him and Tomlinson in the backfield together. Some Seminole stuff with him taking direct snaps also. If Leon comes back 100% that'll be tough to stop.

Unless he signs a big offer sheet from another team (not likely), keep him. I wouldn't want to trade him for 3rd or later pick.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Chupa;3532905]lmao Leon Washington was the BEST player on the new york jets in 2008. The guy is an absolute monster, our biggest play-maker on offense.[B] Just because we made the AFCCG without him doesn't mean we don't need him.[/B] Hell, who is to say we wouldn't be hosting the lombardi if leon was there to runt he ball when Greene went down in indy?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, it's like when we started seeing threads such as "Our defense is BETTER WITHOUT KRIS JENKINS" last season after he got injured. Foolish logic.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;3526518]Now that LT is in the fold, what exactly is Leon Washingtons role?

Leon was ineffective early in the season on kickoffs due to the change in the rules.

Leon is 28 years old, coming off a devastating leg injury, if a team comes a calling offering a 2nd round pick, you take it & run.

Think of it this way:
    Running backs available from 2-4th round
    Maybe Jahvid Best?
    Ryan Mathews
    Jonathon Dwyer
    Toby Gerhart
    Dexter McCluster
    Montario Hardesty
    Ben Tate
    Joe McKnight
    Lagarette Blount
    Chris Brown
    Andre Dixon

Don't get me wrong, I love Leon! no homo! But:
    His agents an *ss! & now he's trying to make the Jets look like jerks because they tendered him a 2nd round pick. This after this SCHMO turned down a very good contract that Tanny put together by getting greedy. A contract that Leon Washington will NEVER see written again by the Jets mind you.

Here's the bottom line: Jets went to the AFCCG with Leon watching the game. Could we have used him? sure, but if we can get a 2nd & trade back to recoup our 3rd round pick, we would be the envy of the draft my friends.

While the Pats are drafting for STARTERS! Jets are plucking BAP options with EVERYONE OF THEIR PICKS! for depth & future plug ins. I would miss Leon, but it really would be for the betterment of the organization to move him now if possible.
    * While everyones reacting to my post, remember this, IF no one TRIES to sign Leon, it proves my theory because if Leon was tendered a 2nd round pick after 2008, he would be gone so fast your head would spin.[/QUOTE]

agreed