Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Francesa the Pompous...

The move has very little risk, IMO. The Jets are not on the hook for anything of note (no draft compensation because he was a free agent, not a lot of money or years).

The issue that most in the media got wrong shockingly :zzz: is this; Can [I]Shonn Greene[/I] replace Thomas Jones? Tomlinson has not been brought in here to replace Thomas Jones!! If anything, L.T. has been brought in here to replace the '09 version of Green. During the regular season Greene rushed for 540 yards on 108 attempts and 2 tds. He also fumbled 3 times. He offered nothing as a receiver.

I think its safe to say that behind one of the best offensive lines in the sport, Tomlinson will exceed Greene's contributions in the regular season in every way. His receiving, red zone production and locker room leadership will all be net gains by far in comparison to Greene in the regular season.

The real question is can Shonn Greene produce as well or better the Thomas Jones did in the regular season? He must stay healthy and not fumble.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;3526441]The move has very little risk, IMO. The Jets are not on the hook for anything of note (no draft compensation because he was a free agent, not a lot of money or years).

The issue that most in the media got wrong shockingly :zzz: is this; Can [I]Shonn Greene[/I] replace Thomas Jones? Tomlinson has not been brought in here to replace Thomas Jones!! If anything, L.T. has been brought in here to replace the '09 version of Green. During the regular season Greene rushed for 540 yards on 108 attempts and 2 tds. He also fumbled 3 times. He offered nothing as a receiver.

I think its safe to say that behind one of the best offensive lines in the sport, Tomlinson will exceed Greene's contributions in the regular season in every way. His receiving, red zone production and locker room leadership will all be net gains by far in comparison to Greene in the regular season.

The real question is can Shonn Greene produce as well or better the Thomas Jones did in the regular season? He must stay healthy and not fumble.[/QUOTE]

Spot on.

Great post.

Jets Insider VIP
    its a great move

Tomlinson is a million miles better than Thomas Two Yards will ever be. Way more versatile, way more elusive, way better at catching the ball and he will allow the WAR MACHINE to be the primary back for the tough yards between the tackles (which were the ONLY yards TTY was capable of getting TWO YARDS AT A TIME

[QUOTE=JetsPrisoner12;3526435]I don't see what the media is going off on since both Jones and Tomlinson are pretty much done. The advantage I can see with Tomlinson is he can catch the ball out of the backfield and this presents somewhat of a different element while Greene and Jones are pretty much the same style of back. So when Tomlinson spots Greene he presents a run/pass option that should help his productivity. I don't believe Jones could provide that.

Let's hope the Jets keep Leon and he is healthy and able to fill that 3rd down role he does so well. To me that's really the key since the idea of using Tomlinson a significant amount in that role is not going to work very well.[/QUOTE]

+1 this post sums it up best!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=One Eye;3526414]So a back late in the draft is equal to LT? I don't think so.

Call this signing what you want, but I can't understand knocking it. This is not like the JEts signed LT to start. He provides a versatile veteran presence, and does one thing WAY WAY WAY better than TJ....

GOAL LINE CARRIES.

This is similar to Marcus Allen coming to the chiefs. I don't think there is STILL a better back in the league near the goal line.

Greene and LWash will dominate b/t the 20's, and LT will provide 3rd down, tough yards, and goal line carries.

He is also a great goal line back cause he is a constant threat to run, and throw.

TJ was our starting back. Those days came to an end when Greene emerged. TJ is now backing up Jamal Charles. It's not like he is starting somewhere. THese backs are of equal value, depending on your need. If you need a 'Greene' type of back, TJ is your man. If you need a Goaline, 3rd down, demon, LT is the guy.

I think this signing has actually been UNDERRATED. Now the Jets don't need a back in the draft, have more options inside the 20, and can concentrate their draft on BPAs to help the team.

my new mock....

1. Damian Williams WR
    2. Cam Thomas DT
    4. Kyle Calloway OT
    5. Kurt Coleman S
    6. Rashawn Jackson FB
    7. W. Mcfadden CB[/QUOTE]

Good post, I like the mock too

Banned
    Francesa strikes me as entirely low brow, in addition he has no experience in professional sports to justify his completely uneducated manner of speech, my question why should anyone take him seriously. Its like taking a drunken Gint fan seriously. A slob like him can't take care of himself, can't even present himself properly (physically or in manner of speech) and expects us to think he knows better than those paid to make teams competitive. Laughable. I stumbled upon his radio station once and thought I'd entered Jersey shore, or long beach. What an utter fool he's better suited to be on the show Jersey shore come to think of it, replace Snookie with him, it'll be even funnier to see him get clocked.

Francesa would be respected more if he wore tights.

Lets see;

Jones: Almost washed up, poor receiver of the football. Now going to a place with a poor O-Line.

Tomlinson: Almost washed up, excellent receiver of the football. Now going to a place with an excellent O-line.

I don't think there's any comparison in how they will perform in the coming year.

The Jets also signed LT to a 2 year deal where the majority of the money will be paid in the second year if he is kept (as seen on twitter, so correct me if this is wrong). That IF is huge because if he plays like he is finished he won't be kept. For this year, then, he will be less expensive than Jones (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

If the above paragraph is wrong, there is still no comparison in the year they should have in the coming season. That is why it is a solid move.

Francessa is trying to get Jets fans angry. He's playing the bad guy. He does this well. I don't listen to his show because I don't want heartburn. I listen to ESPN radio or just music in the car. The last time I listened to him and his negative sensationalism (similar to Mike Florio or Rich Cimini but with the spoken word) he was ranting and raving about how the Bengals will come to play in the first week of the playoffs and take the Jets by surprise. It didn't work out too well.

So, expect that Francessa will try to make you angry. It drives ratings way up. It works for Rush Limbaugh and it works for Colin Cowherd. Negative feelings spike ratings. Congratulations on being a part of those ratings.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Crease29;3526279]To be fair, he loved the Cromartie trade.[/QUOTE]

what did he say about big blew giving $37mill over 5 years for a medioce defensive back??

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetswinbaby!;3526247]I know it's all been said before about this guy's anti-Jet bias.
    Just couldn't resist watching his show to see his take on LT.
    God forbid Jet fans should be a little excited about this signing, especially since other elite teams (NO, Minn) were competing for this guy.
    Francesa called the signing "a terrible football move," "can't understand why the Jets would make this bad move," "LT has absolutely nothing left, he's shot," etc.
    Of course, he fails to mention that TJ also looked shot against the Colts, when Greene went out, the running game disappeared.
    Francesa also put his two cents in on the new stadium controversy, about whether Jets or Gints will open the stadium.
    "Jets think there will be a coin toss to decide it," "our understanding is the Giants will open the stadium, "no comment from the Giants or the NFL..."
    Where did he get "the understanding that the Giants were opening the stadium" from?
    His own rooting interest because he is a Giant fan?
    Why doesn't he just admit he is a biased pompous ass already.
    He has no credibility left...[/QUOTE]

I listened for 30 minutes and shut him off.

1) All he talked about was the weather and lack of response from the utility company for power on LI.

2)I am so sick and FUGGin tired of hearing about his kids. Waited til he was in his 50's to have kids and now he is parent of the year????

His kids will be embarassed of him in a few years....

He is a DOUCHE!

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;3527403]I listened for 30 minutes and shut him off.

1) All he talked about was the weather and lack of response from the utility company for power on LI.

2)[B]I am so sick and FUGGin tired of hearing about his kids. Waited til he was in his 50's to have kids and now he is parent of the year????[/B]

His kids will be embarassed of him in a few years....

He is a DOUCHE![/QUOTE]

that's only because it took him that long to find a chick who would hump his fat azz....

Jets Insider VIP
    actually every subject he brings up takes 30 minutes or more

2 minutes to say what he has to say and 15 times to repeat it endlessly before going to the flash

All Pro
    LT as a #1 = FAIL
    LT as a #2, #3 situational = SUCCESS

boys, keep listening to chubsy ubsy and he'll never go away