Thread: Ropati Pitoitua

Ropati Pitoitua

I am expecting a significant season from this guy in 2010. I liked the progress he made late in the season and he looks like he can be ferocious.

The following link doesn't show him on the field but its entertaining with him signing autographs with his coach at the time, EM in what appears to be a practice at Hofstra.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX0qAiyGuFk[/url]

pito is a beast. people talk about a first round draft pick on DE... i dont think that player would get over PIto or Devito on the depth chart.

All League
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3526450]pito is a beast. people talk about a first round draft pick on DE... i dont think that player would get over PIto or Devito on the depth chart.[/QUOTE]

I also think we got some good, young talent at the DE position.

Don't know too much about Pito but have heard good things about. DeVito on the other hand is one of my favorite players on the team, he has a great motor, plays with heart and is a tough relentless S.O.B.

I would like to see us draft a DL this year as Ellis is getting up there and Jenks has health issues BUT do not think we need to in the 1st round though. Much rather draft a pass rushing OLB in the 1st or a FS then address DL (and OL depth too) in the later rounds.

From what I remember I think [B]Pitoitua's nickname is POTTY!!![/B] short for ROPATI... I heard him say it in an interview lastyear.

[QUOTE=bitonti;3526450]pito is a beast. people talk about a first round draft pick on DE... i dont think that player would get over PIto or Devito on the depth chart.[/QUOTE]

I think Rex is REAL excited about this guy. Always smiled last year when he talked about him. Probably his pet project, creating the beast.
    We'll know if the Jets go OLB @ that #1 pick.

Do you have any type of scouting report on him. Can he be a significant part of the rotation this season? His size is awesome, according to the Jets web site he's 6-8, 310!

Pito could be the reason that the Jets let Douglas become an UFA and did not tender Green. You saw flashes in pre season games with Pito, the other guy that has some promise is Matt Kroule, last year he was 6-3 285 but very active and intense, looking for an extra 15 pounds of muscle in camp. Seymour designed the blue print on how big tall guys like Pito can play a 3-4 DE, one can only hope.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=jetsfanmack;3526904]Do you have any type of scouting report on him. Can he be a significant part of the rotation this season? His size is awesome, according to the Jets web site he's 6-8, 310![/QUOTE]

From all of the games this year, I can tell you that the one thing that really stands out is his incredible physical strength. On one play against the Jaguars, he simply bull-rushed and almost drove Eugene Monroe (a first round pick) into David Garrard.

Although he doesn't play too much, it's clear that he isn't very agile, and he will always struggle with his change of direction and lateral mobility, so he will probably never become a great pass rusher, but there's no reason he can't become a solid contributor to the run defense, with an occasional sack, by next season.

He's interesting, If Rex thinks enough of him I'd be fine giving him a shot, but we haven't seen enough of him to really make much of an opinion about what kinda player he can become. He played something like 48 snaps all of last year.

[QUOTE=jetsfanmack;3526904]Do you have any type of scouting report on him. Can he be a significant part of the rotation this season? His size is awesome, according to the Jets web site he's 6-8, 310![/QUOTE]

here is my pito scouting report from another thread... I also like Matt Kroul!

[quote]
    Ropati Pitoitua has natural rare gifts of height and wingspan... he carries 310 like it's nothing, can probably get up to 330 and not lose speed... he is perfect for occupying two gaps... he occupies them just by showing up... stout at point of attack... actually can penetrate a little and pass rush for a guy that size...surprisingly... can get his long arms into the passing lanes... He overwhelms other interior linemen when they deal with him one on one... if he continues to improve teams will double team him... and that opens up the backers to make plays... for a guy who is 6'8" gets great leverage... he just needs more seasoning... came from a bad program but samoan who didn't play football until junior year of HS... samoans have a great track record of success in the NFL. if he was still on the psquad he would have been swiped in a NY minute. great potential and is doing all the right things to grow as a player.[/quote]

I'm defintly want to see his progress.. He has nice size.

[QUOTE=njherdfan;3526984]From all of the games this year, I can tell you that the one thing that really stands out is his incredible physical strength. On one play against the Jaguars, he simply bull-rushed and almost drove Eugene Monroe (a first round pick) into David Garrard.

Although he doesn't play too much, it's clear that he isn't very agile, and he will always struggle with his change of direction and lateral mobility, so he will probably never become a great pass rusher, but there's no reason he can't become a solid contributor to the run defense, with an occasional sack, by next season.[/QUOTE]

+1

Stout dude, but his best shot is to carve out a career as an NFL rotational DL.

I still think he should affect our draft plans on the DL as much as Allison/Smith/Clowney will affect our WR plans.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=mavericknyc1980;3527338]I'm defintly want to see his progress.. He has nice size.[/QUOTE]

That's what she said.