Page 21 of 40 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

All League
    win 4 of the next 7 super bowls and we will get all the respect we want...respect isnt earned by hosting the 1st game of a new stadium...

why not get upset about this from a football perspective, the jets consistantly have there opening game on the road and statistics show it is very difficult to win on the road in the NFL...so more often then not the jets are put in a situation where the chances are they are starting a season 0-1

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3527683]Wrong buddy they played the first season in 1984 and last year 2009 was the last. I have been there for every one so can you please enlighten us[/QUOTE]

Good, your math is as good as your conspiracy theories.

They've opened 4 times in the last 10 at home. That would be 07, 04, 01 and 99. That would frig up your 3 in 25 year theory and hopefully left you enlightened.

And blow your I've been to every one claim for bonus points. Or maybe you need to stop getting toasted at tailgates? :D

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3527675]What makes this particularly galling, and I'm sure has Woody furious, is how this all went down

First the Jets said this would be decided by a coin toss

Then the league said, NOT SO FAST, this is the commish's decision, and the Giants agreed with that position, at which point it was easily surmised Goodell wanted to give this game to the Giants

But the Jets stood firm and insisted this will have to be decided by a coin toss

Then the league said, okay, well if you insist then we did a secret coin toss today and guess what, you lost :deal:

Thanks for playing ... sucker[/QUOTE]

And we are forced to buy this bag of goods. Jet fan pay half of this stadium and they put on this song and pony show for us and we must buy it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3527623]The charade of a coin toss makes it even worse because they think the Jets and their fans are that stupid. They rub it in and thumb there noses at us and we are suppose to be happy that they gave us the second game to the second class citizens. This is business as usual and second class as usual.[/QUOTE]

Here's the key question.

How does making the Jets a second class team to the Giants help the NFL in any way, shape or form? Why would it benefit the NFL to degrade one team? How does that help the strength of the league, how does it increase revenues, competition etc?

All League
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3527694]What makes this particularly galling, and I'm sure has Woody furious, is how this all went down

First the Jets said this would be decided by a coin toss

Then the league said, NOT SO FAST, this is the commish's decision, and the Giants agreed with that position, at which point it was easily surmised Goodell wanted to give this game to the Giants

But the Jets stood firm and insisted this will have to be decided by a coin toss

Then the league said, okay, well if you insist then we did a secret coin toss today and guess what, you lost :deal:

Thanks for playing ... sucker[/QUOTE]

I ask you once again, Ham, did you not get want we wanted? To open the season at home, and BETTER YET, on National TV lit up in GLORIOUS GREEN?!?!?!?

You have a point, but we STILL came out on top. So WHY continue to get upset? Ends justify the means. I laud Woody for standing firm.

We got what we wanted.

Jets are the TOP TEAM IN TOWN. YOU know, I KNOW it, NFL fans KNOW it, and the League is starting to realize it. Screw the ol' boys club of Packers, Bears, Giants, etc.

We're the NEW TOP DOG in the #1 media market.:yes:

I'm in favor of the MNF game as the best solution, but, I still would much rather be opening up the stadium as the Nationally Televised game of the week at 4:15pm on CBS.

BTW, there is about a 0.1% chance that it ist New England @ Jets Week 1. It will be the Pats, yet again.

Its becoming a tradition, like OSU-Michigan the last reg season each year for both teams, Jets/Pats will forever be the Jets home opener. Forever.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3527702]Here's the key question.

How does making the Jets a second class team to the Giants help the NFL in any way, shape or form? Why would it benefit the NFL to degrade one team? How does that help the strength of the league, how does it increase revenues, competition etc?[/QUOTE]

politics, just like everything else. ;)

All League

How does making the Jets a second class team to the Giants help the NFL in any way, shape or form? Why would it benefit the NFL to degrade one team? How does that help the strength of the league, how does it increase revenues, competition etc?[/QUOTE]

Gate D thats all i have to say

[QUOTE=SAR I;3527649]I won't be there, gas. I'll be selling my seats for top-dollar to Vikings fans just like tens of thousands of other Jets PSL owners who are absolutely enraged at the NFL for putting our celebratory moment and our families memories in an unnecessarily compromised position. My first game in that stadium will be with my 9 and 11 year old boys and it won't be on a Monday night during a school week with a game that'll get the average Long Islander home by 1am.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I know you feel strongly about this, but let me offer some perspective. In 1978, I was 13 and lived in the Bronx. We couldn't get cable, and the Rangers and Islanders were playing in the playoffs. On a school night (and my dad was an assistant principle) he drove us out to Roosevelt Raceway to watch the game on the monitors.

I don't recall much about the game other than the Rangers won and JD was terrific, but I will always remember him taking me...and especially how cool it was to go all the way out to LI on a school night.

I have two kids now, 13 and 11, so I understand. With a 7 start, you are home by midnight...let them sleep in until 9 and miss a period...if they appreciate the memory of going to the game with you half as much as I do, you won't regret it.

When I first heard the news about the "coin toss" today, I was livid (as you can tell from my email I sent to the NFL in this thread). When I found out that we would host the first MNF game (and hence host the first prime time game at the stadium), I was pretty happy and found it to be a good compromise.

As I've had time to stand back from the situation, I have to say that although I am happy with the result, I really do not like the process of how we got there. It totally reeks of a back door, good ol boys club deal that the NFL front office made with Giants ownership. It doesn't feel like the process is legit and frankly its very troublesome. I think if they had simply said from the beginning that one team would play on Sunday afternoon and the other would play on MNF the next night (both hosting) that it would have been fine, but this simply feels like an appeasement move. It doesn't sound like Woody Johnson is entirely happy with this even now, and frankly I don't blame him.

I know many people took an attitude of "who cares", but I just simply do not get this line of thinking. As has been discussed, the Jets haven't opened at home in three years and have opened only 30% of the time since they moved to New Jersey. Do you not smelly something fishy with that? With all due respect it feels like you either don't know that you're getting screwed or are just accepting that as a way of life. I watch football to try to get AWAY from this BS. (Alright I'll admit that I'm sounding a tad melodramatic with this last paragraph ).

Like I said, I'm happy with the result, but the process to get there stinks.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=JStokes;3527687]Wow, you got kind of chubby.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I can lose a few pounds rather easily. You, unfortunately, will never be more than 5'3" tall.

SAR I

All Pro
    Woody you reap what you sow.Did you expect it to be any different because now it's a shared stadium?:rolleyes:

All Pro

Because the Mara family has Goodall and the NFL by the short ones

[QUOTE=SAR I;3527674][IMG]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d812a1acc_gallery_600.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2009/09000d5d812a2a55_gallery_600.jpg[/IMG]

Sure they do. As I was praying for the Bills to hold on and beat the Patriots, the Chargers and Oakland had already started. Had fantasy players all over the board that night, remember it well.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    I specifically remember seeing the end of that Bills Pats game.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3527621]MNF ratings are at an all time low. It's SNF that's the premier showcase for an NFL team. MNF is that also-ran slot.

And, don't forget, Week 1 of the NFL season features 2 MNF games, one on the east coast, one on the west coast. We'll lose half the audience at halftime.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

actually the west coast game begins on the same network when the east coast game is completed. The east coast game starts earlier than usual and ends in time for the west coast game to start at around 10PM Eastern Time.

so there is no overlap in which the Jet game would lose audience. There are ONLY FOUR NATIONAL GAMES on that first weekend, the Thursday game from the Superdome, the Sunday night game on NBC and the two Monday night games on ESPN.

The Jets got ONE of them, the Giants got "a same old sunday afternoon game" seen by a partial audience with direct competition nationally from another major broadcast network.

As to the coin toss issue.... I don't think there ever was one. Teams don't tell the NFL when to schedule their games. The Commissioner made the final decision. Whether or not there was any coinage involved is not relevant and probably apocrophal

[QUOTE=jetsfanri;3527712]
    I have two kids now, 13 and 11, so I understand. With a 7 start, you are home by midnight...let them sleep in until 9 and miss a period...if they appreciate the memory of going to the game with you half as much as I do, you won't regret it.[/QUOTE]

+1 Would be a great memory for kids that age....with the 7pm start, its not that big of a deal. Leave work a little early and be home before midnight, small price to pay for opening on National TV.

I remember being allowed out "late" for things when I was that age and it was always the fact that I was being allowed out that trumped what we were actually doing.

All League
    [QUOTE=newjakecity;3527714]

As I've had time to stand back from the situation, I have to say that although I am happy with the result, I really do not like the process of how we got there. It totally reeks of a back door, good ol boys club deal that the NFL front office made with Giants ownership. It doesn't feel like the process is legit and frankly its very troublesome. I think if they had simply said from the beginning that one team would play on Sunday afternoon and the other would play on MNF the next night (both hosting) that it would have been fine, but this simply feels like an appeasement move. It doesn't sound like Woody Johnson is entirely happy with this even now, and frankly I don't blame him.

I know many people took an attitude of "who cares", but I just simply do not get this line of thinking. As has been discussed, the Jets haven't opened at home in three years and have opened only 30% of the time since they moved to New Jersey. [B]Do you not smelly something fishy with that? With all due respect it feels like you either don't know that you're getting screwed or are just accepting that as a way of life.[/B] I watch football to try to get AWAY from this BS. (Alright I'll admit that I'm sounding a tad melodramatic with this last paragraph ).

[B]Like I said, I'm happy with the result, but the process to get there stinks[/B].[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% ALL THE MORE REASON to praise Woody and FINALLY having a REAL owner who STANDS up to the league. MAD AS HELL And NOT GONNA TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!

We got what we wanted and we should let Woody know his ACTION and CALLING OUT the league is greatly appreciated.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3527697]Good, your math is as good as your conspiracy theories.

They've opened 4 times in the last 10 at home. That would be 07, 04, 01 and 99. That would frig up your 3 in 25 year theory and hopefully left you enlightened.

And blow your I've been to every one claim for bonus points. Or maybe you need to stop getting toasted at tailgates? :D[/QUOTE]

Your math had them playing before 1984, well maybe I had a few to many at tailgates so I could not count past 4:D, that makes 2 of us;).Jet juice on me

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=fredmertz;3527639]You're all nuts. Seriously, I think the 6 people on the planet who give two craps about this are all posting in this thread.[/QUOTE]

fredmertz nails it

it is something that the few remaining "SOJF" fret and kvetch about along with the west side stadium, the move from hofstra and whether the uniforms are nice or not.

Time to get on with the job of cheering the Jets to the Superbowl in Dallas in February (AFTER THE AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME VICTORY IN OUR NEW HOME AT THE MEADOWLANDS)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3527658][IMG]http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n114/srubenst/IMG_0788.jpg[/IMG]

Here's me, spending $1000 to see the Jets in Indianapolis in the AFC Championship Game.

And there's me, sitting at home watching the opener of my brand new stadium that I'm over $20,000 invested in on my HDTV.

It's a travesty that the NFL put me in this position.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

where's your USC #6 jersey?... Did you lose it at Scotty's Brewpub prior to the game?