Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3527731]Gas, I would have no problem with how this all ended provided the process was fair and on the level

[B]I'm not upset with where we are, but how we got here[/B]

IMO [B]that sham of a secret coin toss is an absolute outrage and no NFL owner should ever be treated with such disdain, and that statement released by the Giants was essentially mocking the Jets after they conspired with the league to steal the opener with a [B]rigged game[/B] ... and IMO every Jet fan should have a problem with that[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree 100%. It is a sham and Woody exposed it. It bothers me, but like previously stated by another poster, the more wins we accumulate the better we shall be served by the league.

You know I love making signs, so I'll have one calling out Goodell on MNF!:D
    I'm not happy how it went down either, but we got what we wanted. Now it's time to put the league on notice.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=WeskerLogan;3527705]politics, just like everything else. ;)[/QUOTE]

Now if that made any sense it would be a possibility.

Adds nothing to the NFL, financial, business wise or politically.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets: main event, Giants: under card

this is all very simple in my opinion.

The Giants are the warm up event for the main attraction.

The Giants are playing on the undercard in this one. The Jets -- Primetime.

While the focus has been on first game, the real event is opening weekend.

Who can possibly argue that the Giants Sunday game can match the first primetime MNF game in the stadium to close out not only the opening of the stadium, but to close out the opening week of the NFL week 1.

The Jets got the gift here. Its a matter of perspective.

Jets: main event, Giants: under card.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the Jets get the first actual football game, during the preseason. And they get the first Monday Night game there. The Giants get the first official game. It seems like fair for both sides... Only one team could host the first game. At least they did a coin flip and didn't just award the Giants it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm moving on to winning the LAST home game of the NFL 2009-2010 season (unless the Cowboys make it to the Superbowl) ....

the AFC Championship game at the New Meadowlands Stadium in late January

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3527732]Your math had them playing before 1984, well maybe I had a few to many at tailgates so I could not count past 4:D, that makes 2 of us;).Jet juice on me[/QUOTE]

My math has the 84 season thru 09 as more than 25 seasons. That math would be right.

Sorry. Math is brutally cut and dried. :D

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]sg3 actually the west coast game begins on the same network when the east coast game is completed. The east coast game starts earlier than usual and ends in time for the west coast game to start at around 10PM Eastern Time.[/B]

Pats/Bills kicked off at 7:10 EST and ran 3:03.

Chargers/Raiders kicked off at 10:16 EST and ran 3:23.

The west coast game kicked off 3 minutes after the east coast game ended, and the reason why I recall catching the west coast game in-progress was because I was watching the post-game show. The west coast fans would have been watching the pre-game show, likely tuned out the 4th quarter.

[B]so there is no overlap in which the Jet game would lose audience. There are ONLY FOUR NATIONAL GAMES on that first weekend, the Thursday game from the Superdome, the Sunday night game on NBC and the two Monday night games on ESPN.[/B]

My point earlier was that the MNF game isn't special because a) SNF is now the showcase slot and b) there are 2 MNF games Week 1. Don't fool yourself into thinking the NFL took care of us. They just think they're avoiding controversy.
    [B]
    The Jets got ONE of them, the Giants got "a same old sunday afternoon game" seen by a partial audience with direct competition nationally from another major broadcast network.[/B]

I don't give a rats ass what a Falcon fan thinks of the Jets new stadium while watching it at home on a Monday night after a long day at work.

I care about what a Jets fan thinks of the new Jets stadium while being forced to leave work at 1pm to tailgate and leaving his kids at home as its a school day and a school night that would be compromised.
    [B]
    As to the coin toss issue.... I don't think there ever was one. Teams don't tell the NFL when to schedule their games. The Commissioner made the final decision. Whether or not there was any coinage involved is not relevant and probably apocrophal[/B]

Doesn't bother me much either. I wasn't caring if we got Week 1 or Week 2. I just wanted it to be a Sunday 1pm sunny day. Me and my boys, drinking it all in in the warm September sun.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rep;3527747]So the Jets get the first actual football game, during the preseason. And they get the first Monday Night game there. The Giants get the first official game. It seems like fair for both sides... Only one team could host the first game. [B] At least they did a coin flip and didn't just award the Giants it.[/B][/QUOTE]

but they did :rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3527738]where's your USC #6 jersey?... Did you lose it at Scotty's Brewpub prior to the game?[/QUOTE]

Changed into my Scott jersey prior to the game. Part of the ritual. Wear Sanchez for the pregame, wear Scott for the game.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3527724]Because the Mara family has Goodall and the NFL by the short ones[/QUOTE]

Look I'm not trying to break your balls, but how does the Mara family (that has half ownership and consists of a son, not the founding brothers) have Goodall by the short ones? If anything he should favor the Jets, he started his career there.

Again, the Commish is here to help the league prosper. How, with a real reason, ,does knocking one of the leagues teams, one in their biggest market, help the good of the league?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets get the first preseason game at the new stadium, are the home team for the first Jet-Giant preseason game in the new stadium, the first MNF nationally televised game at the new stadium, the first Conference Championship Home game at the new stadium in January

ALL IN THE 2010-11 SEASON

and are the home team for the first Jet-Giant regular season game scheduled for 2011

the Giants got chump change and probably the right to move one of their concrete Giant Stadium signs to their offices and training facility out by the trotting track

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;3527762]Jets get the first preseason game at the new stadium, are the home team for the first Jet-Giant preseason game in the new stadium, the first MNF nationally televised game at the new stadium, the first Conference Championship Home game at the new stadium in January

ALL IN THE 2010-11 SEASON

and are the home team for the first Jet-Giant regular season game scheduled for 2011

the Giants got chump change and probably the right to move one of their concrete Giant Stadium signs to their offices and training facility out by the trotting track[/QUOTE]

Jet did get the better of the deal given the lost the coin toss. Anyone who thinks that Monday Night Football isn't a better deal than regular Sunday game is mistaken.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;3527746]this is all very simple in my opinion.

The Giants are the warm up event for the main attraction.

The Giants are playing on the undercard in this one. The Jets -- Primetime.

While the focus has been on first game, the real event is opening weekend.

Who can possibly argue that the Giants Sunday game can match the first primetime MNF game in the stadium to close out not only the opening of the stadium, but to close out the opening week of the NFL week 1.

The Jets got the gift here. Its a matter of perspective.

Jets: main event, Giants: under card.[/QUOTE]

Forget. The. Giants. Second. Class. Stuff. Already.

Every decent NFL team is inconvenienced with a MNF game. The question is, why did the Jets have to be forced into such an awful slot for its historic first game?

The traffic at 5pm into the parking lots, especially with new parking patterns and all the summer vacationers back at their desks?

Children back at school, can't be pulled out at 2pm to go to the game, can't wake up the next morning after being put to bed at midnight?

Tailgaters forced to leave work at 1pm on a Monday?

Fans fumbling in the dark trying to locate their cars or trying to find the train?

The operations staff having to direct confused fans after the game in pitch darkness?

The 'no beer' rule in effect, making diehard fans go dry in a non-party atmosphere?

There is no single NFL game each season that is more inconvenient to its fans than Week 1 Monday Night. It is flabbergasting that the NFL made a mistake atop a mistake today. It's one thing to screw Woody by awarding the day game to the Giants, it's quite another to screw the fans by forcing us into the darkness.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get used to this sort of thing happening. Face it because we don't have our own stadium we'll always be second fiddle in this town and it doesn't always have much to do with winning either, hence we'll be the Mets the Giants will be the Yankees, we'll be the Devils/Islanders the Giants will be the Rangers, we'll be the Nets the Giants will be the Knicks - you get the idea, even though I'm a Jet fan and we have a great following this will always be a Giants town thanks Woody.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Because most fans and the league don't share your view?

They think that most teams and their fans want to play on Monday night, the only game being played, the only one being televised and being televised to a national audience.:yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;3527760]Look I'm not trying to break your balls, but how does the Mara family (that has half ownership and consists of a son, not the founding brothers) have Goodall by the short ones? If anything he should favor the Jets, he started his career there.

Again, the Commish is here to help the league prosper. How, with a real reason, ,does knocking one of the leagues teams, one in their biggest market, help the good of the league?[/QUOTE]

Hey I am not the only one who thinks there are shenanigan's going on in the NFL office.

[URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/woody-johnson-flips-over-coin.html[/URL]

[B][URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/woody-johnson-flips-over-coin.html"]Woody Johnson flips over coin flip [/URL][/B]

By Rich Cimini
    Jets owner Woody Johnson released this rather shocking statement tonight, criticizing the NFL for the way it handled the coin flip to determine which team gets to open the New Meadowlands.
    "An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved. That's how it's always done in the League, whether its determining the order of the draft or deciding whos going to kick off the game.
    "When the issue of which team would be hosting the first regular season game could not be resolved on the merits, I suggested a coin toss as the fairest way to resolve this issue. The League rejected that idea.
    "Then, I was told on Friday that a coin toss had taken place at the League office and that the Jets had lost. We rejected a process in which neither team was present. The League departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as a memorable occasion with your kids go, I would think skipping school for 2 days and driving 5 hours with their dad to see the Jets play there 1st game in a new stadium, with the stadium lit up in green on Monday Night Football, that's a memory they will never forget. And neither will you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woody, to paraphrase Parcells, if you are looking for someone to blame, try the guy in the mirror . . .

For friggs sake - the Jets could have relocated to Flushing besides the Mets, to the Bronx next door to the Yankees, to the Navy yard in Brooklyn with three New York bridges and the BQE all feeding into it . . . there were a many true New York options when Manhattan was not happening.But no, no, back to the friggen swamp we go . . .with the friggin Giants . . .

Are you friggin kidding me Woody ? You expect to be treated as an equal ? LMAO !

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Boynton Beach Jets;3527781]Hey I am not the only one who thinks there are shenanigan's going on in the NFL office.

[URL]http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/woody-johnson-flips-over-coin.html[/URL]

[B][URL="http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2010/03/woody-johnson-flips-over-coin.html"]Woody Johnson flips over coin flip [/URL][/B]

By Rich Cimini
    Jets owner Woody Johnson released this rather shocking statement tonight, criticizing the NFL for the way it handled the coin flip to determine which team gets to open the New Meadowlands.
    "An NFL coin toss has a few fundamental elements that are missing here, most notably the presence of the teams involved. That's how it's always done in the League, whether its determining the order of the draft or deciding whos going to kick off the game.
    "When the issue of which team would be hosting the first regular season game could not be resolved on the merits, I suggested a coin toss as the fairest way to resolve this issue. The League rejected that idea.
    "Then, I was told on Friday that a coin toss had taken place at the League office and that the Jets had lost. We rejected a process in which neither team was present. The League departed from our time-honored tradition and declined the opportunity to set the matter straight with a transparent process."[/QUOTE]

Couple of things:

We know someone else has an issue with the process, the title of the thread gives that away.:D

Woody is pissed that he or a rep wasn't there. Nowhere does it say that he thinks there are shenanigan's going on in the NFL office.

Of course the underlying point is that there is no way of knowing, that the way the NFL carried this out it leaves the door open for those who believe there is an agenda at work. Dumb move by the NFL, why leave that door open? Because, again, having the Giants open the stadium does nothing for the NFL. And if there were a coin toss, with both teams present, there would be no complaint from whichever team lost the toss.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    question...when the cowboys spank the giants for the opening game and the jets proceed to beat miami on monday night what do you think everyone will remember?? another epic jets/miami mnf showdown for the 1st victory in the new stadium or the giants getting smacked by the cowboys

much more pressure for the giants to get that 1st win now...i honestly think its a win/win for the jets...giants lose we win-its gravy...giants win we win-ok yeah so we did it on monday night football...giants lose we lose-see ya next week