Page 28 of 40 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528271]

Or do you think its fair to settle a dispute of obvious importance to two parties by a secret coin toss where neither party was even invited to attend?

That's the issue here, no conspiracy theories and inferiority complex's or whatever else you wish to attach[/QUOTE]

Do I think its fair? Yes - assuming you trust the person officiating and I personally don't question the integrity of Goodell in this situation. You would have to think that he purposely didn't invite the respective teams to watch the coin toss so he could fix the NFL schedule. That is patently absurd on its face.

Do I think its a good PR move? No, I don't, as SMC said, for the simple reason that it allows for a press release like Woody issued questioning the validity of the coin toss, which only fans the flames. Woody probably shouldn't have done that, but the league should have headed off something like this by making it transparent.

But, in the league's view, the teams don't have an active role in making the schedule. In their mind, they created this unique MNF/Sunday situation where both teams can play on the home weekend. They did a simple coin toss to figure out which one went where, and they moved on. This didn't need to be an historic event - it was a simple slotting process of who goes on Sunday, who goes on Monday.
    Last edited by crasherino; 03-16-2010 at 11:11 AM.

[QUOTE=jetswin;3528042]I think after the spygate fiasco Woody has seen enough BS out of him with coingate.

Woody is getting a hard time for speaking up, but honestly I think he did the right thing, his billion dollars should at least earn him a voice, and his voice speaks for Jets fans everywhere.[/QUOTE]

... exactly this!!! ...

... while i do not personally care 1 way or the other whether we get the 1st home game ...

... i do believe the coinflip nobody witnessed was a big fat lie ...

... i do like seeing our owner step up and not accepting a load of crap from goodell ...

l_j_r

[QUOTE=sect313;3528299]what do you think the giants would do if the lost the "double secret" coin toss?[/QUOTE]

Marsha! Marsha! Marsha!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=sect313;3528299]what do you think the giants would do if the lost the "double secret" coin toss?[/QUOTE]

They would probably have said "oh well.....at least we don't have to hear the b!tching from our Jets brethren now"

the difference here is that Woody made it clear he cares about this issue. that's when he and the jets lost all leverage.

If they were very casual about it, that's how the NFL expects their owners to act. not like spurned step children, crying in public. Would wellington mara moan in public? would robert tisch?

the NFL's behavior was expected, Woody needs to sack up and realize he joined a fraternity and he's still a relatively new member. Crying about it only makes it worse.

the NFL is professional entertainment not a branch of government. shady things can and will happen, Woody needs to stop being a biach about it.

Veteran
    I posted as Brucetheboss (springsteen reference). That got me really fired up. The West Side info is inaccurate.

'nailed it.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=crasherino;3528057]IIRC, when we were debating the whole flex scheduling fiasco, you were decidedly on the side of the NFL maximizing its revenue and had no care for the guys that were inconvenienced. You were pretty colorful about your disregard, if my memory serves me correctly.

Interesting how now that the shoe is on the other foot you are enraged. [/QUOTE]

Flex scheduling games in Week 16 is very different than deciding on the home opening opponent for Week 1.

Flex is based on putting a playoff-critical game into a spot where the entire country can see it. In most cases, a bonus mini wildcard game. Week 1, especially for a team with a brand new stadium to inaugurate, is about an enjoyable, celebratory, family atmosphere for the fans of the team in question. About 6 AFC teams cared about the outcome of the Jets/Bengals flex game in January, worth moving to primetime. There's only 1 NFL team that cares about our home opener. Us.

Apples and oranges. Our home stadium opener comes once every 50 years. It's not comparable to a flex situation.

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    Amen

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528303]Do I think its a good PR move? No, I don't, as SMC said, for the simple reason that it allows for a press release like Woody issued questioning the validity of the coin toss, which only fans the flames. Woody probably shouldn't have done that, but the league should have headed off something like this by making it transparent.

But, in the league's view, the teams don't have an active role in making the schedule. In their mind, they created this unique MNF/Sunday situation where both teams can play on the home weekend. They did a simple coin toss to figure out which one went where, and they moved on. This didn't need to be an historic event - it was a simple slotting process of who goes on Sunday, who goes on Monday.[/QUOTE]

It's true that the teams don't have an active role in making the schedule, there is set precedent about new stadiums.

When the Colts open their new stadium they had the Sunday Night Game week 1. The same with the Cowboys. Arizona also got a week 1 prime time game IIRC.

The point is that Goodell got too much full of himself and that works with the players, but not the owners because--ultimately--Goodell is controlled by the owners.

He should have--from the beginning--once an agreement could not be reached with the Jets and Giants said to Tich/Mara & Woody, "Okay, both of you guys get to play home week 1, so there should be no b-tching. We're going to flip to see who gets the choice of either the Sunday afternoon game or the MNF game."

That would have been simple and avoided all this. Have team reps (the NFL office is in NYC for crying out loud!) go to the NFL office while they do the coin flip. Have some nice pictures taken, etc., and be done with it.

Goodell could have turned this into a nice PR story. Instead, the NFL screwed it up.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yep.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=sg3;3528068]give your kids a freaking day off from school, for godsake, SAR

they don't learn sh1t anyhow and you are rich enough to hire a private tutor to take with you to New Jersey so they will probably actually learn way more by going with you[/QUOTE]

It's two days, not one. Monday and Tuesday would be shot. Look, if push came to shove and I had to do it I would. That's not my point though. I don't think the NFL did the right thing by inconveniencing every Jets fan by having to leave work at 1pm on a Monday to tailgate, at 3pm to get into the parking lot, battling rush hour traffic, and having to exit the stadium in pitch darkness with new traffic patterns and operational confusion.

We should have our home opener Week 2 at 1pm. This nonsense about Giants envy is the reason the commissioner put us Monday night. You crazy Mets fans did this to us.

SAR I

Screw you guys. I'm going home. :D

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=Traitor Jay & the Woodies;3528077]I can't help but find this all pretty hysterical.

On the bright side SAR, you will never sell your four prime endzone seats for a higher profit than you will for that opening game.

You need to look for the silver lining.[/QUOTE]

Not too sure about that. Not sure that even the most loyal Vikings fan will fly to New York for a Monday night game after exhausting all his vacation time during the summer. I guess I can sell to a Jets fan. We'll see.

SAR I

Exactly what they did when the Jets were scheduled for the last game of Giants Stadium -- nothing.

Unless the Jets go on a tear of SB wins they will NEVER get from out of the shadow of the Giants. The WSS was their only other shot. It is what it is.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528316]In that case, since its a simple matter of trust and calling the commish's integrity into question if you do not trust him to conduct the coin toss in private, can you give me one other example in professional sports history where a dispute, settled by a coin toss, be it for draft positioning or anything else, was conducted by the commish in private and without either interested party even invited to attend said coin toss?

JUST ONE?

Since the commish's integrity is so absolute and beyond reproach, surely you can find a number of examples, but in this case only one will suffice.[/QUOTE]

Can you give me an example of a team being present at the league office during the time the league makes the schedule? Just one? Its a unique situation, where they could have handled it better and screwed it up. That's fair.

The only difference is you see a conspiracy, where I see merely a situation that, in retrospect, was bungled by the league office.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528347]EXACTLY RIGHT, and until I see one prior example of a secret coin toss in the anals of professional sports, where neither interested party was even invited to attend, anything other than what you posted here is empty rethoric ... because what happened here is "unprecedented"[/QUOTE]

The league screwed up is different than "Goodell is a lying sack of sh!t"

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=eaglenj;3528107]You are 100% correct, SAR was all over people for complaining about that game being switched. Typical both sides of the fence stuff from him....Dont forget

1. He also referenced "No beer sales at the Monday night game as an inconvenience to the fans" when he repeatedly stresses on this site how annoying the "drunk fans" are.

2. Said he would sell his tickets for a profit after repeatedly ripping people (including attacking me personally even though I have never done that) for selling to the fans of other teams.

Whats funny is for someone who talks about being so rich and successful, seems like he cant get a day off from work or man up for a hotel room for the game....im shocked!!![/QUOTE]

It's not about money. It's about my kids. They're 9 and 11 and its a school night.

The Bengals game? I wanted to take them to that too, but I understood the reason for the flex and didn't put up a fight at all. Made perfect sense to take the only remaining game with playoff implications and move it to the national spot.

But this is different. This is like a wedding or a school graduation. This is an event about celebrating the opening of a new stadium, the last such celebration of our lifetimes. And I am upset that the NFL decided to throw pathetic Mets fans a bone with this "Monday night is special!" myth out of politics instead of thinking about what this means to families, especially those that have just laid out over $20,000 in part to enjoy this special first game.

Regarding the beer, I am just thinking of the fans at large here. Again, in a celebratory mood, opening our new stadium, historic event, it sucks for them that they can't drink. I'm happy for me, then again, I won't be there, so I'm sad for them.

SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 03-16-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528064]people love the NFL like they love the USA

we expect it to be clean, democratic and transparent. We expect a right to good entertainment. We expect it to be good and fair.

the truth is the NFL is more like China than the US government. 32 billionaires with an anti-trust exception, who can basically do whatever they want. they will engage in massive coverups like spygate to protect their production. They will turn a blind eye to disabled former players and their health benefits. They will fight with another big company like comcast for their own gain, leaving fans out in the cold. They will engage in cruel practices like forcing concussed players on the field before they are healthy.

and at the end of the day, we the fans are guaranteed nothing.

just be thankful you aren't a player or coach. then we'd see how ugly the NFL really is.

and to answer your question Hammer, they wouldn't give the commish job to an honest man. honesty is not in the job description.[/QUOTE]

Keep that political jargon off the Strip.