Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 29 of 40 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Stadium Opener/Sham Coin Toss thread (merged)

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3528358]It's about my kids. They're 9 and 11 and its a school night.

The Bengals game? I wanted to take them to that too, but I understood the reason for the flex and didn't put up a fight at all. Made perfect sense to take the only remaining game with playoff implications and move it to the national spot.

But this is different. This is like a wedding or a school graduation. This is an event about celebrating the opening of a new stadium, the last such celebration of our lifetimes. And I am upset that the NFL decided to throw pathetic Mets fans a bone with this "Monday night is special!" myth out of politics instead of thinking about what this means to families, especially those that have just laid out over $20,000 in part to enjoy this special first game.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I see....so for you its just a matter of convenience, not a matter of showcasing the Jets. Sunday at 1pm is all that's important. Its hard to keep straight the reasons why people are mad.

For some, its playing second fiddle to the Giants.

For others, its the that Roger Goodell is a lying sack of sh!t

For others, its the kids - its all about the kids.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528319]the difference here is that Woody made it clear he cares about this issue. that's when he and the jets lost all leverage.

If they were very casual about it, that's how the NFL expects their owners to act. not like spurned step children, crying in public. Would wellington mara moan in public? would robert tisch?

[B]the NFL's behavior was expected, Woody needs to sack up and realize he joined a fraternity and he's still a relatively new member[/B]. Crying about it only makes it worse.

the NFL is professional entertainment not a branch of government. shady things can and will happen, Woody needs to stop being a biach about it.[/QUOTE]

Just to be clear, what is the "NFL's behavior" that you are talking about?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hatnlvr;3527972]We are starting in the new stadium as second class citizens again! This just emphasizes why we should have had our own damn stadium on the West Side.[/QUOTE]

Agree 110% & I fought my butt off trying to help make that happen. A NYC stadium would have been a crown jewel on the West side with a bridge/connection to the Javits Center and the newly opened Highline Park. Unfortunately there were too much politics not to mention grass roots campaigns against the idea of drunken, trolling Jet fans on the precious streets of Manhattan disturbing the hookers & crackheads quality of life on a football Sunday morning.

As for the "secret coin toss" if you read Woody's press release he clearly states that both teams were not present. If both camps make enough of a stink maybe they can get a "do-over" and have Goodell do the coin toss on live TV to kick off Draft Weekend 2010 that ironically is held here in NYC.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528368]For others, its the kids - its all about the kids.[/QUOTE]

I don't cater to people's kids. That's their problem, quit expecting the rest of us to make it our problem too. Get a baby sitter. If it's not an environment for your kids, then they shouldn't be there. End of story. The NFL isn't for kids entertainment. It's for adults.

I'm really tired of people trying to make everyone think about their kids.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528319]the difference here is that Woody made it clear he cares about this issue. that's when he and the jets lost all leverage.

If they were very casual about it, that's how the NFL expects their owners to act. not like spurned step children, crying in public. Would wellington mara moan in public? would robert tisch?

the NFL's behavior was expected, Woody needs to sack up and realize he joined a fraternity and he's still a relatively new member. Crying about it only makes it worse.

the NFL is professional entertainment not a branch of government. shady things can and will happen, Woody needs to stop being a biach about it.[/QUOTE]

You're leaving out the part about all this being in response to the leak that the NFL had already decided to give the opener to the giants..

"You can’t blame the Jets ownership for having a complex when it comes to the vying for the attention of the league when it comes to the teams in New York. The Jets have, for years, been asked to take a backseat to the big boys in blue, so it only seems natural that the Jets might play a little fast and loose to help them secure the opening date in the new stadium."

News broke on the Jets website over the weekend that the Jets and Giants were going to flip for the honor.

Both organizations have been vigorously stating their cases to the league office. The NFL has said the game will be decided by a coin toss and the Jets have presented a plan for the flip at the new stadium in the week ahead to make this decision easy. The details of the 50-50 proposition have yet to be fully worked out with the league, but the Jets are willing to let the verdict be determined the same way that the league’s teams have settled some scores for decades.

The coin toss, so important to certain procedures that the NFL has a set of rules to govern it, has been around football since 1892.

Generally in something like this, both sides would issue a press release, but the Giants were noticeably silent on their site.

For teams jointly entering a new stadium, and for the Jets, a team that has played in a stadium with the other team’s name (and colors) emblazoned all over, it’s understandable why they’d want first dibs. Still, in the end, the Maras and Tisches have put up just as much money to open this new stadium so, you’d understand why they’d want the honor too. Whatever will happen, it’s clear the league wasn’t all that thrilled with the gamesmanship from the Jets.

… there was one problem: The NFL refused to confirm that plan.

In fact, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Daily News yesterday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is the one who “determines the schedule,” and the spokesman added, “other than that, we have no announcements on the schedule now.” Asked if that meant the announcement of a coin flip that was posted on the Jets’ Web site was false, Aiello reiterated his statement.

Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said yesterday that the team stands by the story. He insisted that the NFL has officially informed the Jets that there will be a coin toss to determine who plays host for the opener and he added, “We look forward to the coin toss.” Sources have said that [I]the Jets have been aggressively pushing the coin-flip idea because they’re worried that the NFL had already decided to give the opening game to the Giants[/I].

And according to one [Giants] source, the Giants weren’t pleased with the Jets’ surprise announcement.

And now, according to the Daily News, word is out that the Jets have lost the toss to the Giants, and Woody is “outraged” about the situation since team representatives weren’t there.

There was a coin toss, after all — just like the Jets said there would be. But the Giants won the toss and won the right to host the first regular-season game at the new Meadowlands stadium … [it] was held this morning at the league office with no team representatives present … Jets owner Woody Johnson is “outraged,” not because the Jets lost the toss, but because there was no team representation at the coin flip.

Big brother always gets his way … harrumph!

You had to wonder if Goodell and the League Office would punish the Jets for their little PR stunt to force the league’s hand. It would seem that the NFL has done just that. The team’s worst fear, with or without their meddling has come true, they’re not opening the stadium.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528028]Some people, uh, some very gullible people seem to believe the [B]"secret coin toss"[/B] might have been on the level, but most neutral observers seem to have drawn the more obvious conclusion that this whole thing is a sham. Well since we're never gonna settle this with endless debate and we seem to just be going in circles, I decided the only fair way to settle this dispute is to, well, flip a coin.

So I just flipped a coin and my brother can verify it, he was present when the coin was flipped. Having said that, I have bad news for Roger Goodell ....According to my coin flip (which can be verified by my brother), you sir are [B]A LYING SACK OF $HIT[/B]

What can I say, RAJ, I did the the only fair thing and you lost :dunno:

You, Sir, are [B]A LYING SACK OF $HIT[/B]

Not my opinion, I'm simply reporting the results of the coin toss, so if you have a problem with this conclusion don't take it out on me ... [B]the coin toss has spoken.[/B][/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha if this were the way all things were decided what a wonderful black & white world we would all live in. I see your point Ham but I'm still not sure if Woody & the Mara's can make enough of a stink to have that "lying sack of crap" Goodell hold a public "do-over" with the coin toss. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=crasherino;3528368]I see....so for you its just a matter of convenience, not a matter of showcasing the Jets. Sunday at 1pm is all that's important. Its hard to keep straight the reasons why people are mad.
    For some, its playing second fiddle to the Giants.
    For others, its the that Roger Goodell is a lying sack of sh!t
    For others, its the kids - its all about the kids.[/QUOTE]

Crash aren't you forgetting the mass majority of 80,000 pissed off tailgaters that won't be able to buy a $10 bottle of beer in the new stadium due to it being a Monday night game? Once again the Jet fans are getting totally jipped!

:D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;3528431]Crash aren't you forgetting the mass majority of 80,000 pissed off tailgaters that won't be able to buy a $10 bottle of beer in the new stadium due to it being a Monday night game? Once again the Jet fans are getting totally [B]ripped in the parking lot before the game![/B]

:D[/QUOTE]

Fixed. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont understand the uproar.

the NFL never promised any1 it would be transparent or fair.

In fact compared to the spygate coverup, coin-flip gate is like a game of tiddly winks.

this is a league that uses people up like a meat grinder

the NFL are a bunch of liars and bad guys... how is that news in any way?

it would be news if the opposite were true.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;3528439]I dont understand the uproar.

the NFL never promised any1 it would be transparent or fair.

In fact compared to the spygate coverup, coin-flip gate is like a game of tiddly winks.

this is a league that uses people up like a meat grinder

the NFL are a bunch of liars and bad guys... how is that news in any way?

it would be news if the opposite were true.[/QUOTE]

I don't think that is the issue. You aren't the one with a billion dollar investment at stake (jets worth 1.2 bill according to Forbes). Woody has a ton invested in this team/stadium and deserves to at least be present during the coin toss. No one is saying the fans should go on a hunger strike over this, but the owner is allowed to be upset.

Some people get upset when their neighbor parks in front of their house, there is just a little more at stake here for Woody.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;3528108]Belichick filmed the the coin flip for him but Goodell decided that in the best interests of the game it should be immediately destroyed right after the coin flip.[/QUOTE]

:P

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3528383]Well that seems to be in dispute since the Jets were not even invited to attend, and since they were not there to observe this secret coin toss we can only surmise if Goodell is telling the truth or lying through his teeth ... therefore I flipped a coin to decide and HE LOST[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Limolady;3528431]Crash aren't you forgetting the mass majority of 80,000 pissed off tailgaters that won't be able to buy a $10 bottle of beer in the new stadium due to it being a Monday night game? Once again the Jet fans are getting totally jipped!

:D[/QUOTE]

Have they banned beer sales for that game? That isn't the standing policy now. Beer was banned specifically for the last game of the season, on account of the circumstances. Before that, beer was sold at the stadium for the past few years after being prohibited for a number of years after the pumpkin game (or some other night fiasco).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Green Jets & Ham;3527959]This is true and I was an error to automatically assume privledge dulls ones fighting spirit, but my point is, in my view Roger Goodell never pulls this stunt unless he first sizes up the situation and assumes he can get away with it relatively scott free (i.e. nothing more than a few angry words and hurt feelings)

Conversely if Woody was Al Davis in his prime, and the Giants tried to conspire with Goodell to rig this game in their favor, IMO Goodell sizes up the situation and tells Giants ownership to "GET REAL"

"Are you kidding me", [B]Goodell would tell Mara & Tisch[/B], "if I pulled a stunt like that on Al Davis he would make the next twenty years of my life a LIVING HELL. That would be tantamount to declaring war on Al Davis and I need a war with Al Davis like I need a hole in the head. Sorry fellas, but we'll just have to do this coin toss on the UP & UP"[/QUOTE]

Valid point you present I agree that its quite disheartening to see Woody screwed around with. I would agree that 1- he presents himself like a tool and that based on Godell's behavior he is going to treat Woody like a tool. Its a shame and hopefully Woody makes enough of a stand now that he doesn't get ****ed with later.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to get a post in here with the rational folk. Carry on, fellas.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3528358]It's not about money. It's about my kids. They're 9 and 11 and its a school night.

The Bengals game? I wanted to take them to that too, but I understood the reason for the flex and didn't put up a fight at all. Made perfect sense to take the only remaining game with playoff implications and move it to the national spot.

But this is different. This is like a wedding or a school graduation. This is an event about celebrating the opening of a new stadium, the last such celebration of our lifetimes. And I am upset that the NFL decided to throw pathetic Mets fans a bone with this "Monday night is special!" myth out of politics instead of thinking about what this means to families, especially those that have just laid out over $20,000 in part to enjoy this special first game.

Regarding the beer, I am just thinking of the fans at large here. Again, in a celebratory mood, opening our new stadium, historic event, it sucks for them that they can't drink. I'm happy for me, then again, I won't be there, so I'm sad for them.

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    SAR seriously I feel your pain. I feel for you more then the others complaining here. Since I have been on this website you have been talking of how you can't wait for opening day in the new Jets Stadium - a place that will finally be our own that we won't have to answer to anyone else - not the Mets and not the Giants.

You deserve to be an honored guest at this event. This is not sarcasm. It's how I really feel.

Hope your being there on the 2nd game with your kids will be close to the feeling you were waiting for all these years and that you enjoy it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;3528446]I don't think that is the issue. You aren't the one with a billion dollar investment at stake (jets worth 1.2 bill according to Forbes). Woody has a ton invested in this team/stadium and deserves to at least be present during the coin toss. No one is saying the fans should go on a hunger strike over this, but the owner is allowed to be upset.

Some people get upset when their neighbor parks in front of their house, there is just a little more at stake here for Woody.[/QUOTE]

the maras and tisch also have a billion at stake... the difference is their ownership has been established for decades, woody is the new kid on the block

like any fraternity the NFL relies heavily on seniority

its like the stonecutters episode of the simpsons. burns is #38, lenny is #14 and he kicks burns in the rear. burns says "thank you sir may I have another"

that's what Woody was supposed to say "thank you sir may I have another"

and if he doesn't like it he shouldn't have joined that organization.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southside;3528391]I don't cater to people's kids. That's their problem, quit expecting the rest of us to make it our problem too. Get a baby sitter. If it's not an environment for your kids, then they shouldn't be there. End of story. The NFL isn't for kids entertainment. It's for adults.

I'm really tired of people trying to make everyone think about their kids.[/QUOTE]

+1000000000

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;3528346]Not too sure about that. Not sure that even the most loyal Vikings fan will fly to New York for a Monday night game after exhausting all his vacation time during the summer. [B] I guess I can sell to a Jets fan. We'll see[/B].

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SARsy, keep me in mind, will ya. I'd rather buy them from a reputed source like yourself then meet some guy under a BQE overpass in the dead of night to make a ticket exchange. :D

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree. Woody didn't create the situation, but he continued it for the next 99 years. Live with your failures, Woody. Only yourself to blame.